CSR 92 - The Daily Commute Demon [FINAL RESULTS UP!]

As was said in the reviews, your car is a decent package, but the auto really did make it stick out from the rest. If it made it past, it would’ve been the slowest finalist too, if only just by a bit. I think you also could’ve squeezed a bit more power with the displacement, but it’s not enough for the bin. Ultimately it wasn’t just the auto, but a lot of small things here and there that also negated any value the auto could’ve added. The struggle thing wasn’t just for the sake of a write up, I really did feel like that with your car.

2 Likes

fair enough… i was worrying about the eco a bit too much with it.

if i may ask, what’s the median for the fuel eco?

Seems around the high 6-7 mark is the middle point. Don’t worry, yours is above average. :smile:
(Some geniuses still managed to go under the 6L mark, though. Props to them.)

1 Like

If I may ask, how did the Ayuma fair apart from the loudness?

My car (Petrov) 181HP and 10L/100KM

:joy: :joy:

As I said in the reviews, it was at 36,5. The limit is 35, and while yes it’s not that far off, it’s a hard limit unfortunately.

1 Like

I still can’t believe I had the best fuel eco.

CSR 92 Final Round!
Man this took a while to make. Sorry bout that.

Saturday, 17th October 2020.
Jimmy’s house, mid-morning.
Jimmy woke to a startle at the sound of his phone alarm, falling off the desk chair he fell asleep in. He had just gone through a hard night, burning the midnight oil finishing CAD files for a project. He still hasn’t finished them completely. Gathering himself from his cluttered bedroom floor, Jimmy checked his phone to see what all the ruckus is about.Car shopping, 10.30. “Guuh… what time is it?” Above the notification, the digital clock said 10.03. “Oh shoot, I’m late!”

A quick bath later, Jimmy was off to the Automall. The commute was… terrible as always, swarming scooters and idiot drivers who probably don’t know how to drive. Arriving half an hour late, Jimmy found Peter and Emil already tired and waiting.

“Great. Emil,” Jimmy muttered apprehensively. Big helpful guy, not exactly fat but still quite heavy set. Already suffers from the occasional back pain despite only being a couple years older than Jimmy. Mostly because people ask him to do heavy lifting so often. “At least he’ll be fun to throw around later.”

@Yangx2 - Huangdou Starlight

Luckily the Automall had all the cars Jimmy’s chosen last Thursday. The trio then entered the first visible dealership, Huangdou. A pale yellow Starlight stood proudly at the side which they then approached.

First Impressions

Jimmy: Yup, as I expected. Pretty good looking thing. Other than that low front. But I can live with that.

Emil almost subconsciously headed straight for the passenger door and hopped inside to check the interior.

Peter: (Looking at the wheels) Hmm, these are some fancy looking Yomamas…
Salesman: Yes, and I assure you they provide excellent grip.
Jimmy: But what about the-
Salesman: Service costs? Not to worry. We have managed a special package deal for the Starlight, with a 3 year warranty as standard and potential maximum service cost of Rp 10.900.000. (That’s about 772$ if you’re wondering.)

The salesman sounded quite ready for that question. They must get that a lot here.

Peter: Hmm. Yes, considering the tires that is quite reasonable.
Jimmy: Where’s Emil?
Emil: Opens the door nearly smashing Jimmy in the face
Jimmy: Ehey, watch it! What are you even doing?
Emil: Just checking out the interior. Nothing to report, really.

The Test Drive

The salesman directed the trio down to the parking lot, where all the test cars are. Not wanting to waste any more time, they went straight to the Starlight. The salesman took shotgun, with big Emil trying the middle bench, leaving the lean-built Peter to test the back seat. The car sagged a bit at the weight of 4 people, but still to a tolerable level.
Jimmy turned the car on, listening to the 2L i4 jump to life. Nothing special, really. Pulling out of the parking space, the car puttered along like any regular car. It actually feels rather gutless. “Must be that lag Peter was talking about,” Jimmy thought. There’s nothing so far indicating it’s anything sporty, so Jimmy decided to have some fun.
Taking it out for a spin outside the mall, Jimmy made his move. He dropped the throttle, throwing the tachometer to 5k. Everyone jolted into their seats, somewhat shocked by the car’s dual personality. “Okay, this thing does have torque,” Jimmy said, pleasantly relieved with the mid range performance. He then did a “suspension test” by taking on a speed bump full tilt, causing Emil, the tallest of them all, to hit the roof. “Ow man, watch it.” The suspension worked, a bit on the soft side and rolls some, but still okay. The cornering was actually pretty great, with the Starlight being able to dart here and there thanks to its fenomenal grip. It does understeer quite a bit at the limit, but most of the time it’s just grip for days. “Okay,” Jimmy said. “Mr. Salesman here wasn’t lying.”

@Cheeseman - Valta Hanke

After an alright start, the trio left the dealerhip to visit Valta down the corridor. Nice place, clean and well organized. A slick suited salesman immediately welcomed them. Jimmy then walked over to the medium blue Hanke, displayed front and center.

First Impressions

Jimmy: Hmm, looking at it in person I kinda do like it.
Peter: (Went straight to tires) Fancy Piero tires… How are the service costs?
Salesman: (Slightly sweating) Oh, umm, that would be up to Rp 12.500.000 (888$). 2 year warranty is standard.
Jimmy: Oof.
Peter: As I remember this is the most guzzling of your shortlist, too. It’s still not much, but it would still add to it.
Jimmy: Oof.
Peter: Not to mention the most expensive.
Jimmy: Ouch. Yeah, definitely don’t like it now.

Right then, Emil appeared from the interior to report his findings, a bit more careful with the door this time.

Emil: Umm, guys? There’s no third row here.
Jimmy: Yes Emil, I know! Thanks for pointing it out yet again! Ehh, as much as I’m not liking this, we might as well test drive it while we’re here.

The Test Drive

Due to there being no third row, Peter was upgraded to the bench. Yes. Jimmy started up the car to find a similar sounding engine to the Huangdou.

Jimmy: You double sure this isn’t the same engine, Pete?
Peter: Yes. Just try it.

Pulling away gently, it didn’t feel much different. But as he was driving regularly it did feel like it had quite a bit more grunt. Jumping the throttle a bit, the power was much more immediately present. Peter’s right, this is a different engine.

Peter: “Ohoho, yeah.”

Downshifting, Jimmy basically shifted to his proverbial sport mode. He mashed the throttle, and the car jerked forward even harder than the Starlight. “Oh yeah, that’s some good torque.” Taking corners at speed, he could feel a bit of that AWD understeer, but the grip was good, almost as good as the Starlight. “At the expense of those sport tires, though. Ouch.” He could hardly bear the thought of it.

Right then, Darude Sandstorm suddenly blasted through the speakers.

Jimmy: What the heck??? Emil!!!
Emil: Yeah man, these are some nice bangers!

Emil connected his phone through the bluetooth system and put on his favorite playlist… Meme songs.

Jimmy: Turn that thing off!
Emil: Make me.

And so, Jimmy purposefully hit a curb while cornering. The suspension dealt well, but Emil’s head didn’t.
“Ow! Okay, Okay!”

After the test drive, Jimmy felt refreshed… The only one who is. The salesman looked slightly sick, and Peter was tending to Emil with a sore head.

Jimmy: “Man, that felt great. But that price, man! Gah, so hard to decide!”

@fromaj - ClevR Ibiza

After visiting the Hanke, The trio headed over to the ClevR dealership. Took some looking around, and apparently it’s located on the third floor, away from all the other dealerships on the ground floor. “Genius,” Jimmy said. Peter then snapped back with a reply, “Well… it would take some smart thinking to get all the cars up here,” followed by a giggle from Emil. They then went straight into the showroom, where they were greeted by a friendly looking salesman.

First Impressions

Jimmy: Hm. It looks a bit messier than in pictures, but I do still like how intricate it looks.
Emil: ANGERY SUCCCC O: (takes picture to meme later. He then proceeds to examine the interior.)
Peter: (Already checking) Okay, normal tires this time. Should be fine then.
Jimmy: How much are the expected service costs?

The friendly looking salesman suddenly paled nearly to the shade of his white collar shirt.

Salesman: Oh, uhm- ahem, that would be Rp 12.900.000 (911$). But it’s got a standard 3 year warranty, though!

Jimmy: WHAT? Do you lubricate with baby lotion or something? This thing better drives like a race car then.

Emil: (referring to the middle row captains chairs) Ooh, I’m liking these seats. But the back row looks a bit cramped. It looks contoured okay, at least.
Peter:…That’s alright. (cries inside)

The Test Drive

Turning the test car on, Jimmy was happy to hear the note of a big i5 under the hood. Nice, but it seemed a bit too muffled for his taste. The salesman next to him still looked rather pale for some reason. Pulling away, it did feel a bit more powerful and even more immediate than the first 2. It should too, it’s a full liter larger. If anything, the performance seems a bit too close for such a big size difference. Coming up to a stop light at speed outside the mall, Jimmy felt the brakes were rather meh. “Hmm, that didn’t feel very good.”

“Okay, fun time,” Jimmy thought. Once the lights turned green, the Ibiza jolted forward with a whole lot more force than anything before. “Ah, so that’s where the displacement went,” said Peter from the bench way back. The pull felt good and it handled fairly well, but it felt like the grip ran out a bit quicker. Considering it’s on regular tires, that’s understandable. But that’s where it all fell apart. Running over a bump, the front and rear felt uneven, leading to the guys in the back getting bumped about. Taking a corner at speed didn’t feel very good either, with the car rolling an alarming amount. With the brakes also feeling like they’re starting to give, Jimmy’s seen enough and ended the drive. Now he understands why the salesman was pale earlier.

After the test drive, None of the trio felt so good. Peter got sloshed around, Emil’s back has started acting up. Despite being regular seats, they felt a bit lumpy.

@goblin95 + @conan - Garuda Kinanthi

Leaving the ClevR dealership somewhat dissatisfied, the trio then headed for the Garuda dealership, located right next to the main entrance. It is a local brand, after all. Entering the dealership, a brass gold Kinanthi was proudly displayed up front, advertising it as a collaboration project with some Thai brand. Ananda, it read.

Peter: Ananda, not bad.
Emil: What about it?
Peter: It’s a subsidiary of Mitsushita.
Jimmy: Interesting.

First Impressions

Jimmy: Okay, actually it looks a bit more like a regular car. Especially after the stuff we’ve seen.
Peter: Oho, take a gander at this bootspace!
Salesman: Yes, we have among the largest trunk spaces in the segment!
Jimmy: Anything else to brag about? Any high service costs I should know about, perhaps?
Salesman: well, our projected maximum service cost would cost you around Rp 10.100.000, complete with a 3 year warranty.
Jimmy:…Oh, thank god!

The whole time, Emil was taking a rest inside the Kinanthi. He had nothing to report.

The Test Drive

Turning on the Kinanthi was the best startup experience so far. “Yeeea. A good, proud, loud i5. Nice.”

Everyone climbed onboard and got settled, and the car sagged just a bit, about as much as the Huangdou. Strange, with so much boot space it seemed like the suspension was barely up to the task. Jimmy pulled out gently from the parking lot. Once outside, Jimmy got the chance to rev it out. Hmm. The Kinanthi actually felt like it loses wind in the midrange. Only after hitting about 5k did the power feel on par, and even then it didn’t feel as punchy as the others. A bit disappointing for Jimmy, who, unsurprisingly, pretty much lives in the midrange.

Taking an aggressive corner, Jimmy was a bit surprised to find some sharp steering, going toward oversteer. “Oh, right. RWD,” he remembered. “This should be fun.” Swerving out and about, he couldn’t get anything fun going though. The car runs out of grip far too easily and the ESC flashed like a strobe light. Dang it.

At least Emil looked happy. He was quite comfortably perched on the middle row bench, busy with his phone. It was all too soon when Jimmy found out what Emil was doing on his phone.

Emil: Hey look, bluetooth! click

All of a sudden the stereo started blaring out with decent fidelity: “SomeBODY once told me-”

Jimmy: Ohhh, that’s it! You’ve been having WAY too much fun this ride!

Jimmy then went out of his way to find a pothole to drive through at full speed, only to find out the suspension was well tuned to dial it out. Impressive, considering how attentive the suspension had been the whole time. Seems like it was tuned just right. Not fully satisfied, Jimmy found a larger pothole and ran it over.

Emil: “Ow!”

That did it.

@zschmeez - Albatross Pomona

After parking the Kinanthi and leaving the dealer, the trio discussed the car they had just been in.

Jimmy: That was a meh ride.
Emil: I thought it was pretty nice, actually.
Jimmy: You and your meme songs.
Emil: Haters gonna hate~
Peter: Maybe it’s time to pull out your big gun, then?
Jimmy: Oh heck yeah.
The three then walked a distance over to the east wing, giving the Albatross dealership (no pun intended) a visit.

First Impressions

Jimmy: Yeaaa, it definitely doesn’t look as well done as the others.
Peter: We are here purely through your amusement of the power, right.
Jimmy: Owwwww yea.
Emil: It’s only got 5 seats again man…
Jimmy: Oh will you guys please just shut up about that!
Peter: Yes, yes, we get it Jim. Now, maybe you’ll like to see the boot.
Jimmy: Yeah, small as I thought.
Peter: Technically not tiny, but certainly outclassed by everything we’ve seen.
Jimmy: Yeah, yeah. Test drive, please!

The Test Drive, Which He So Impatiently Asked For

Turning the ignition, Jimmy could instantly tell this is gonna be fun. “I5. Heck yeah.” it didn’t announce itself quite as much as the Kinanthi, but it was proud sounding nonetheless. “Set cruising speed to fun.” And with that, the Pomona screeched off its parking space.

Jimmy’s skipping the boring driving session this time, he knew this is basically a discount muscle car in wagon form. The engine propelled the Pomona way past all the surrounding cars. Never mind them, it makes every other car he’s tried feel slow. Past the totally bearable lag, the torque felt immense compared to all before it, other than perhaps the ClevR. But considering that had the same basic engine type, the Pomona having that much more torque makes it even more impressive. The gearing was a bit too long for Jimmy’s liking, though. Definitely something more tuned for top speed. Or overdrive, considering it’s supposed to average at 6.2L/100km.

The cornering was fun… perhaps, too fun. The “RWD + power” setup definitely gave it the handling characteristics of a muscle car. Oversteery to the point where the ESC is at the brink of shouting at Jimmy. Going over a bump the Pomona was pretty meh too, with the suspension being quite a bit on the stiff side. Jimmy was totally okay with that, but everyone else complained. The grip is okay for regular tires at least, similar to the ClevR again. But otherwise, it was proven to be quite the handful.

@EddyBT - BT Motors Cervus

After refreshing himself with the Pomona, Jimmy thanked the dealer and left to check the last car on his list; the BT Motors Cervus. BT Motors is one of the newer imports to have come to Indonesia, only coming in the last couple years, after gaining traction in the international market. Ergo, their dealership is placed near the corner of the Automall… Coincidentally next to the Huangdou dealership they visited first.

Jimmy: Wait, what? It’s next to Huangdou? Dang it, we should’ve come here earlier!
Peter: Then… why didn’t we?
Jimmy: They were in opposite sides of the list, okay? Gimme a break.
Emil: You done goofed.

First Impressions

Peter: Hmm, why does it remind me of that KTM track car?
Jimmy: Just the color probably. I don’t think it looks anything like it.
Peter: Perhaps.
Emil: Hey Pete, I don’t think you’ll be enjoying the ride this time. It’s got the full bench rears. The middle row is nice though, with the individual seats~
Peter: Guuuh. Okay.

Jimmy then walked over to the rear of the Cervus and checked out the trunk, the eager salesman close behind.

Jimmy: Okay, coming from the Pomona this boot space is way better. More in line with the rest.
Salesman: You would be glad to know we here at BT Motors are experts of carrying capacity! The Cervus here can carry so many things, including your kitchen sink! (Slaps roof of car)
Peter: Really? That’s… Interesting.

When the salesman wasn’t looking, Peter muttered over to Jimmy.

Peter: I call shenanigans with the suspension.
Jimmy: Say, with this thing on medium tires, I wonder how much would the servicing costs be?

The salesman suddenly didn’t look so hot anymore. Man, asking about service costs can really polarize a dealer!

Salesman: Uh, if I’m not mistaken the max potential service cost for the Cervus is about Rp 11.900.000 (840$). We do, however, offer a 3 year warranty.
Jimmy: Unf. Yea okay, not great. What are you even servicing?

The Drive

The 2 liter inline 4 came to life in a similar level of roar to the Pomona before it. Not bad. Peter hopped in the rear for one last time and hoped for the best, considering his concerns with the suspension. Even with everyone in, the car only dropped the slightest amount. Jimmy looked at the gear stick. 7 speed! This should be interesting. With that, he stuck said gear lever into first and pulled away.

The engine wasn’t exactly spectacular, but still pretty okay. It jumped slightly in the mid range, but at least it wasn’t as odd as the Kinanthi. It did pull, but just simply not as much as the rest they’ve seen. Still somehow manages to be on the quicker side though. Probably that 7 speed, which actually felt rather normal to use.
That roadholding, though. It was so grippy Jimmy thought it was on sports tires. Past the grip though, it almost felt like the car was actually about to lose it, despite being FWD. Almost being the key word here. Otherwise it turned real nicely, darting about like a sports car should.

But once Jimmy hit the bumps, it all just went to hell. The suspension was uneven as heck, even worse than the ClevR that had similar issues. The suspension being really quite stiff didn’t help its case, either. Overall the suspension was really weird, just as Peter warned. Speaking of Peter, the reluctant back row passenger was totally jarred from just that small bump. Anything bigger and he might have passed out, the poor guy.

After returning the Cervus back to its place, the three wrapped up and left the Automall to get some food, having only realized that they forgot to grab some lunch. Upon arriving at a small fast food restaurant, nestled between the large office buildings around, the three started discussing the experience.

Peter: So Jim, what do you think?
Jimmy: (sigh) I dunno man, everything just seems to have something off. I’d say the Kinanthi is out. The whole thing just doesn’t feel sporty enough for me, and honestly that engine feels kinda weird.
Peter: That’s unfortunate.
Emil: I kinda like the Kinanthi to be honest-
Jimmy:-because that’s where you were bounced around the least.
Emil: Dang it, you noticed.

A bit let down, Emil retreated to his fried chicken, ripping it in half.

Jimmy: Okay, the other ones… I think I can cancel the Pomona too.
Peter: Not enough boot space for you?
Jimmy: Well there’s that, and I also don’t think the handling matches the awesome power. Too finicky.
Emil: (Muffled slightly by the giant piece of chicken in his mouth) Also no third row, man.
Jimmy: Ugh, yeah, yeah, that too. Swallow your food, Emil.
Peter: Okay, that’s two down. How about the others?

Peter took a sip of his iced tea, asking Jimmy as he was about to go down on the fish and chips he ordered.

Jimmy: Well, The Ibiza just felt below average overall, it rolls pretty bad and the brakes aren’t very good-
Emil:-And the interior was pretty bad in general. (Muffled by the other chicken half he’s in the process of consuming)
Jimmy: Yes, yes, I know. Anyway, the Starlight… I like the grip, but that turbo lag is pretty bad. The Cervus would’ve been real nice if it weren’t for that rear end tuning! And the Valta was great, but it’s gonna cost me.
Emil: Not to mention the 5 seats again! (Done with his chicken. The whole thing.)
Jimmy: Shut up and get a car, will you!

A short silence then occurred as Emil was speechless, finally getting the memo about butting into Jimmy’s words. He retreated to finishing the few fries left on his plate. Jimmy likewise took a bite of his fish.

Peter:…Um, I have a car.
Jimmy:…which you never take with you when going out with the gang.
Peter: Carpooling’s great. Good for the environment, you know. Besides, my old base E36 would have a tough time dealing with all your guys’ weight.
Emil: Hey! I’m not that fat!
Peter: I didn’t even say you specifically. (Sighs) So… what’s it gonna be, Jim?
Jimmy: hmm….

Monday, 19th October 2020. Early evening. The Automall.

It’s just rained in Jakarta. Jimmy took an Uber from his home after leaving office early, partly because he didn’t want his MPV to get wet (he just had it waxed, expecting to sell it soon), mostly because he’s finally picking up his new car. Dropping off just outside the mall, Jimmy looked at the soaked pavement as he walked inside. The atmosphere over town is slightly more bearable than usual this evening, with the smell of fresh rain still permeating the air. A good sign, he thought.

Finally arriving at the dealer, Jimmy confirmed his payments and waited for the keys. The price turned out to not hurt as much as he thought before going into this. A few minutes passed, and a salesman finally appeared, carrying the keys to his new car. He escorted Jimmy to the mall parking lot downstairs, where a metallic silver MPV waited for him. His metallic silver MPV.

Unlocking the doors, he hopped inside and turned the ignition. The car sprang into life, the torquey inline-4 engine rumbling calmly, raring to go. He hooked up his phone to the dash and started playing some rock, which then blared from the cheap speakers. No problem, It was enough for him. The fun is in the driving anyway.

He put in first gear, revved, and dropped the clutch, launching off the garage at an alarming rate. “I suppose I can live with the lag. As long as I drive hard enough.”

And drive hard he did, in his new Huangdou Starlight.

Congratulations @yangx2!

And a big thanks to the finalists and everyone else who participated!

2nd place: @Cheeseman: Too expensive overall
3rd place: @EddyBT: Almost there, but fix your suspension!
4th place: @fromaj: Pretty thing but generally beat out. Service costs were real painful too. :slight_smile:
5th place: @zschmeez: Nice power, but not quite practical enough
6th place: @goblin95 + @conan: Too much MPV, not enough sport. Relative to the other finalists anyway.

17 Likes

2nd again. I’m getting good at this, not really winning though!

And congrats to the winner, another stellar effort from Huangdou! Should the hosting be passed on to me I may have something in my mind, will have to test it out first and see, assuming the winner turns down hosting.

Great job on hosting this round as well, I can tell some good effort was put into this.

6 Likes

Now that was one of the most entertaining CSR finals I’ve read! Bugger though, didn’t expect the suspension to get me. I’ll keep it in mind for next time.

lift-off oversteers into wall

It’s always because it’s underpowered and the brakes are bad… I need help

big brakes and more power

1 Like

r/thanksimcured

WOAH FIRST

Quite an interesting concept for a CSR, and properly fit for the lore Starlight. Good job hosting, @Ezdmn and I’m glad to have Huangdou take its first victory after many podiums! As usual, won’t be able to host the next one so I’ll gladly pass it onto @Cheeseman and his sinister idea in his mind :slight_smile:

Do not scroll down very cursed

If scrolled down, play this

Loud chinese national anthem(Earrape) - YouTube

13 Likes

Well, time to get this idea finalised and set up a thread. It shouldn’t be too long!

Prepare for something new :wink:

4 Likes

我操,我的耳朵

Obligatory “ooh look, the new round is up!”

4 Likes

Leave it to this guy to whip up something good at proper tempo. (unlike me.) :clap:

2 Likes

You might’ve been slow but the wait was worthwhile!

Congrats mate.
Dat earrape tho.