CSR 93 - Securing the company (car)

Why not just stipulate, at the beginning, that it’s non-beta version only? That way we’ll be able to carry on quickly.

Otherwise it’ll likely be a week before we have a stable ruleset to enter under.

well that another mystery solved! :wink:

1 Like

Because that’s what I was about to do, but then I learned that some mods have updated to openbeta, and thus, they broke in the normal branch (and there’s no going back). And then during the duration of the challenge, other mods will probably update, breaking things even more. Having fixtures vanishing during the challenge before I judge/while I’m judging.

At the moment I’m leaning more towards openbeta. I downloaded it on another computer and I’m currently doing test cars there too. Unless I find something major breaks, it might end up being the better choice. Despite there being few mods, it seems there are enough new vanilla fixtures and bodies to make it work. And it seems to be the version where things are going to be least likely to break during the duration of the challenge.

In any case, I’ll tailor the ruleset to the version used. And since everyone will be using the same, there will be no inherent unfairness if we go with openbeta. And I’ll probably leave a few days between the thread going up and submissions being open, to leave time for people to adapt to the changes, and to fix any weirdnesses should weirdnesses arise.

My lingering concern is:

Is anyone having problem updating to openbeta?

• No issues, openbeta working perfectly
  • I have that same error but I haven’t tried that fix
  • I have errors, and I can’t seem to find a fix

0 voters

If someone can’t even get that version working, then we have a problem. There’s an error many people have been getting, saying “corrupt data found”. The fix for that is going to the automation install folder, then WindowsNoEditor\AutomationGame\Plugins, then deleting all folders there except Runtime, ExampleXX and Editor. Finally, verifying game files with steam and it should run.

I RECOMMEND BACKING UP YOUR My Games/Automation FOLDER FIRST IF YOU WANT TO KEEP YOUR OLD STUFF JUST IN CASE

4 Likes

I’ve had an issue with exporting a .car file in the openbeta, which is quite concerning

1 Like

Eddy is right. I had tried loading my own .car’s, but I tried loading someone else’s and boom. Unkwown error. Same for someone trying to load my .car. So if there is no .car exporting working, no challenge :frowning:

And honestly, CSR is this popular because of the good quality expected of the challenge. Doing it on either branch has very important issues (and wouldn’t even be possible on openbeta right now), and I would prefer to make a good CSR rather than a rushed half-assed shitshow (and I think that’s why so many people like the CSR too)

CSR is on hold for now :(

FAQ:

"Y u making me wait u lazy idiot just host it!!1!one"

I’d also love to have the next CSR as soon as possible, but right now it’d result in a mess even if it were technically doable. And I think the important part about CSR is the quality, doing a shitshow would leave everyone unhappy.

Besides, I have as much as can be done ready. I have most of the guidelines and the writeup, and test cars in either version. It will be a matter of adjusting the requirements and whatever breaks once the dust settles.

"Why not host it on openbeta?"

At the moment, it’s outright impossible because .car exporting doesn’t work. Not only for this challenge mind you, but for any other one too.

And even if it worked, for the following days or weeks that branch might update without warning, breaking stuff. Particularly bad if it happens once submissions are sent.

"Why not host it on the main branch?"

That was what I originally wanted to do, but the issue is some modders have updated their mods instead of making a separate version, and they no longer work in the main branch.

This wouldn’t be too much of an issue if we could freeze time right now and everyone works with what we have, but the thing is, some mods might update during the CSR, breaking people’s cars.

"This is not enough, I want to lynch you anyways!"

Well too bad. Everyone asks “CSR when?” but not “CSR how?” :cry: Waiting seems to be the best course of action for now. Besides, don’t be so dramatic. It’s a few weeks maybe. Go try out the lite campaign v3 meanwhile or something.

"What is the next CSR going to be about? I want to see if I have something or start thinking ideas"

Without spoiling much, it’s going to be about special offroad utility vehicles. I intend to not have many hard restrictions, so I won’t restrict body types, but probably pickups and SUVs will dominate. They won’t be normal road-going ones though, they will have to meet some specific particular guidelines for their job. But more details on that when the CSR finally comes.

17 Likes

I agree with your decision to wait until key issues have been resolved on whatever build you will host CSR94 on - there are simply too many problems with the public release and the open beta right now.

Also, the past four rounds were set in 2010 or later. I don’t know if this one will be any different, though… at least not until the round is announced.

3 Likes

Elmenduko is taking the most sensible course of action. Never host a challenge in an open beta because it is by definition unstable and subject to change. The mod breaking thing even if you switch back to stable build hasn’t happened before and is even more reason to hold off otherwise it’s virtually guaranteed most of the entries won’t run, or run as intended.

We used to say in the absence of working .car files just screenshots will do but frankly that a) doesn’t pass muster anymore b) there’s no guarantee that we’d be reading off the same calculations.

Given most players have already found out for themselves what happens when you switch to open beta, there’s no choice but to wait for ETA to roll out to stable and then for the inevitable stable branch issues to be ironed out. This may take a couple of weeks but the alternative is a Trainwreck and frankly I’m impressed that the CSR has been this resilient that it didn’t collapse from as many wrecks as it had last year.

19 Likes

Well, this CSR was quite the challenge. I learned loads from this, hope to see ya’ll in the next round!

Time for a head start

4 Likes

1 thing I thought off that I didn’t see mentioned & I would be OK with personally…Public branch but no mods, only vanilla bodies & fixtures, I think with the default included stuff, some of them being mods at one point I think, would be enough.

First rule of forum challenges: No mods = no participation

From what I’ve seen at least.

Well given the current scenario that will take who knows how long it’ll take to fix, I think no mods would be better than nothing.

no mods = no participation. The game is really quite limited without them.

It’s not as limited as it used to be. That being said, there are a couple mods I use on almost all my cars, most notably the modular headlights.

I think more importantly, the game is being constantly patched right now and even with mods, the game could change in ways that mess up people’s entries.

Based on this Next CSR im gonna build a car using stock parts or at least attempt to or shall i say Truck. this is to Temporarily work around the modding issue. i’ve been memeing trucks for a while now and i think its time that i build a legit one

This whole modding and genera game instability at the minute is the reason why I have decided to sit out any challenges until the latest version is stable and fully released. Though I have been working on some crazy 750cc cars for my subsidary caompany GMI whom’s main focus is small engined cars. I also get a feeling that a kei car csr will happen again soon so my 750’s can be easily adapted to kei spec.

Well it’s been a long time without the csr, shouldn’t we start the next round in openbeta (or not ?) or there is too much issues with the game actually to run a fresh round ?

The thing is the beta, as the name says, is unstable and meant to be updating constantly here and there. Say, you make a car that works perfectly well, but then by the time I get to it some calculations have been rebalanced, or worse yet, it doesn’t work at all or doesn’t meet the minimums. That would make having a decent challenge impossible.

The idea is pretty much to have it when everything that today is openbeta becomes stable. Fixtures and bodies shouldn’t be an issue, several mods have updated already or will update by then, and there’s also lots of new vanilla stuff to work with

3 Likes

So, the update should come in some hours, but I have to go to bed early and do stuff all dat tomorrow. So, finally, here it is:

5 Likes