CSR120: The Funky So And So [Finals Released]

Yeah I was basically trying to squeeze as much as I could out of an inline six. Big straight sixes from the Japanese have existed a long time, like the Toyota F series and Nissan P series. And while DOHC wasn’t super common this was around the time the Japanese were starting to experiment with it; the Nissan S20 being one of them. The engine I used is basically combining both of those, available in 4.1 displacement normally but bored and stroked out for this application.

That said I don’t mind being binned and fully expected it, my car was just too out-of-the-norm to be a serious contender for what’s essentially a 70’s muscle car challenge. I appreciate that you complimented the design, especially given that I’m normally a pretty sloppy designer.

This was my first challenge and I think I learned a lot from it. So thank you for hosting it and good luck judging the preliminaries.

2 Likes

I didn’t even take part in this round but I can’t help but feel sorry for the hosts right now.

I think this is probably half a dozen rounds you’ve acted like this when you’ve been binned in the preliminaries and you’ve gone back with something along the lines of “if it isn’t in the rules it must be accepted”. No. It is not the hosts obligation to give you a detailed recap of the typical engineering ideas of the era, or a fully, down to the most finite detail description of what they want. Why? Because that is your job. If the host were to tell you everything, then everybody would just submit the same car.

I’m probably talking to a brick wall here, but countless times you have done this and countless times people have told you how the CSR works. If you don’t like it, or don’t agree with how the CSR works, then that is your problem. There are plenty of other competitions out there to take part in, and there is nothing stopping you from starting your own version where the information you feel is lacking can be included right from the start.

CSR has been running for 120 rounds now, all of which have been like this. If you can’t get the jist of how things work from 120 rounds you can look back on, you probably never will. Do yourself a favour and either get over it or get good.

15 Likes

I saw a few mentions of “protruding bumpers” in the critiques so far. Here’s a little information on American car bumpers of this time.

The 5 mile-per-hour crash (battering ram) bumpers we all associate with '70’s American cars weren’t mandated into existence until 1973. Though many cars started to transition in 1972, many of the sportier offerings were still trying to incorporate bumpers into the car’s styling. One of the best ways to see this visually is with the Pontiac GTO:

1970 GTO

1971-1972 GTO

1973 GTO

I only point this out because my submission is a 1971 model, which has decidedly flush bumpers. I hope I’m not judged too negatively on this (I tried to make it as period-correct as possible). I usually don’t make it past the prelim round so here’s hoping!

1 Like

Haha! Not binned!
Mostly likely because I went crossplane, instead of the Italian traditional flatplane… And used a Falcon body. And reworked the front…

I’ll be happily surprised if I even make top 5, to be honest.

Edit: In my defense, my company is basically Italian. Don’t bin me for OHC, please…

While the 70-72 GTOs did not have the federal impact bumpers yet, they did still have protruding bumpers. They used an nose cone that acted as a bumper, and that does protrude forward from the body. It’s similar to what you’d find on the 1970 Dodge Charger, or 71 Plymouth GTX, and others, but painted in body color. It’s a bumper that’s part of the design, sure, but to say that the bumpers are flush is a stretch. On the designs I’ve seen that commented on, like Aaron’s and Mat’s for example, the protruding bumpers comment was made, but those cars are not designed like they have the federal impact bumpers in place.

This is true. Maybe “flush” wasn’t the correct word. I’m hoping my car falls more in line with the '71 style:

Yay I got binned! I never really trusted myself in this challenge but wanted to do it anyway just to see what I could do. Validated that the answer was “basically nothing” lol. On to find a challenge I’m better at :slight_smile:

That 72 and the 73 you posted aren’t based on the same chassis, see 1973 Pontiac Firebird vs 1972 Pontiac firebird.

What? Yes, the 73 GTO was a different platform to the 68-72, but neither was built on the Firebird platform, and the Firebird was built on the same platform from 70-81, but above all that, his goal was to show what a ‘73 up impact bumper looks like.

Yo it seems that i’m fucking stupid, please ignore what I said before.

More salt coming your way

The ones that got away

A few cars that at first glance might have been perfectly fine for the preliminaries, but they do break a rule or two. (basically I goofed and left them out from the binning) :confused:

@Petakabras

Turia Bravo 370

The car has many performance parts and usually means high service costs, however, it’s rather low, but the real issue is the Over-Head-Cam engine, too advanced for a vehicle required for this era, atleast from the US. Even with this fancy-pants engine, it’s fuel economy isn’t anything to write home about (25.5L/100km). Also, it’s design leaves much to be desired, don’t get me wrong, it’s got all the right stuff on it, however, the frontend, rear end aren’t exactly fantastic to look at.

@Slyo_vom_Pluto

Wagonmaker 650 'Bat'

A great looking, one of the only proper 4 door muscle cars, a real treat to look at, however, it has a head scratching choice of an engine, a 6.5 Over-Head-Cam V12??? However, it’s service costs weren’t too bad at all (1128.8). While it has the best fuel consumption of these binees (19.5L/100km), maybe there’s something to this V12 muscle car thing? But it’s just wrong as a muscle car, another genuine shame to bin, but because of the engine, it’s almost not.

@GetWrekt01

Marvin Charlotte 378 GT

Other than the 5-speed manual, this car doesn’t have anything going against it, other than the styling to some extent, some of it’s good, some, not so good.
Sad, really, it had the lowest service costs of any car entered (915.3). It tied with HybridTronny’s Denver Crusader GT with having the best reliability out of all the cars (60.4).
Fuel consumption was about average, if not above average (25.7L/100km).
Shame to bin a car for having one little issue, however the rules have been set and are meant to be followed (even if it wasn’t specifically said, but should be common sense if you know anything about early 70’s american cars, if not, google it, this isn’t being directed to GW1, but in general).

@thecarlover

Dominion Alouette SP440

One that I wanted to add to the previous post, but somehow I forgot why I had added it to the bin list and then removed it from there.

This car must have seen a lot of action in it’s short life at the hands of another officer, it’s still even got it’s siren on top. Shame that this ‘72 model isn’t equipped with the proper engine, must have been blown during a chase and now it has an older ‘68 one put in, we don’t really want a clapped out car for work purposes. This engine also isn’t great on the economy front (25.7L/100km), why was this engine picked? And it’s a bit too loud as well (34.7), shame, a real beauty isn’t she?
She just looks perfect for the job.

The Survivors

@zschmeez Albatross Rivera
@Arn38fr Watson Corkscrew Yellow
@Kursk Kliment Wombat | Monaro Special
@Jaimz FM Cuda 306
@TheEpicRanger6 Cavalry Lance
@Chichicoofisial Santuario 6.4-8
@EnCR Avantii Relpaula 72’ facelift
@Xepy Edelgard Wyvern GTS 426 Firestorm
@Conan BKOO Senner 427 UltraSport
@Spot Contra Montegro
@CriticalSet9849 Morton Venery 363
@Abg7 MAD Corsair GTE
@Donutsnail Turból Centurion Gladiator 420
@HighOctaneLove Bogliq Baroness 440-6
@GassTiresandOil Armor Streethawk

For now….

At Jones garage

John is looking for other cars Jones has found.
John yells out Jones name while going through the garage.
John can’t find him, but he found the cars in the backlot.
He goes to check the cars out.

John:
“Wow, how did he get 15 cars at this place, or at all?” “Shit, he is good.”

Albatross Rivera

@zschmeez

What’s worse than being slow (8s 0-100)? It’s being slow and being unable to slow down (69.6). Doesn’t help that it’s missing the side reflectors/indicators. Why wasn’t this binned? It’s cheap, really cheap (16600), and it’s not too bad on driveability (33.7) and has decent service costs (1186).

John:
Look at this big lump, doesn’t look too bad, quite a fly ride. Wonder what’s the out-put on this? 284 horsepower? Fuck me, only thing that’s going to move on it is it’s shadow and it’s not like it’s great on fuel either (24.9L/100km), also the brakes look weak. Nah, this won’t cut it.

@Arn38fr

Watson Corkscrew Yellow

Muscle cars are supposed to be powerful, quick, stylish and cheap. This is…. Some of that, it’s pretty powerful (314 hp), it’s pretty quick (6.8s to 100kph), it’s also very stylish, but it isn’t cheap to buy (24,000) or cheap to run (1739.5), what’s more it’s quite loud (34.7), so it would cause problems as an undercover car.

John:
Would you look at this! This is a hot little car, well, maybe not so little, but damn does that yellow grab my attention! Looks like she’s pretty fast….. wait, how much for a service? Jesus and she’s a bit thirsty also (26.7l / 100km). Best not to get a money pit.

@Kursk

Kliment Wombat | Monaro Special

This cars’ missing some ‘key’ features :> And it’s too loud (34.9), not great for an undercover car. However it’s cheap (18300), it’s cheap to service (902.8) and looks pretty decent, however, it’s quite light, not terribly light, but heavier cars are preferred.

John:
Is this car Kosher? Anyway, looks like someone filled in some of the keyholes on the car, wonder why’s that? Oh man, this ones loud, that 4 barrel dual carb motor sure sounds mean, like really mean, jeez I think my ears hurt. But man, the service costs are so low on these, but that’s probably due to the all round drum’s. Shoot, a bit of a drinker aren’t you (27.6l / 100km), yeah, not sure about this one.

@Jaimz

FM Cuda 306

Loud (34) and slow (7.9), might not be as loud as the others, but it sure lacks the grunt to back up the noise it makes, I’m guessing the 305 horsepower it has isn’t enough to propel this 1.8 tonne coupe.

John:
Well, this one’s something, quite wide, she must handle well, or either needs it to handle all that power she has. Oh, it’s not even fast, but it’s loud. Also sort of thirsty (31.1l / 100km). Eh, I don’t think Mark would give this car a spin even if it was the most beautiful car in the world, and it sure isn’t. It’s just a bit underwhelming.

@TheEpicRanger6

Cavalry Lance

Another loud car (34.5), however, it’s not all that slow. But it isn’t super fast either (7.1s 0-100). Also is missing some details such as keyholes and an extra antenna(s). Also styling in general is lacking, quite bland in general.

John:
I guess that’s all from this sid……. Oh wait, didn’t notice this one. Not very eye catching, is it? But, maybe that’s a good thing, for an undercover car, but you probably want it to be quiet then also, this sure isn’t. Jesus, she sure guzzles fuel (33.9l / 100km). Wait, where are the keyholes? What the hell Jones, where do you get these cars, the next ones hopefully are better.
12 Likes

So… After several waves of binning, my entry is somehow guaranteed a top-10 finish? I haven’t managed that in a while! It seems like my decision to combine a mild cam profile and the leanest possible AFR is paying off… For now. My use of a standard intake and short cast headers also helped, since it kept the loudness down.

Anyway, you have delivered a set of honest reviews for us to look at - I can’t wait for the final results!

Yeah that 5 spd manual came out of that 2AM crunch to make a car. Considering I threw it around in an hour, I’m satisfied with the fact that I got lowest service cost and best reliability, along with not too high fuel consumption. I’m genuinely fine with the outcomes. Had I been in a sane state, I’d have never put a 5 spd manual in a GT spec muscle car from the early 70s.

Oh well, good luck to the remaining 10!

3 Likes

Phew, i survived again.

So the reason I have a 1968 engine in the car is because it doesn’t make sense to use a completely new engine for every new model and facelift out there, seeing as real companies will reuse an engine for at least a few years before making any changes to it. In this case it’s a company engine that was fitting for this new generation without any changes so it was left untouch.
I can understand the fuel economy not being stellar, but binning my car for not having a brand new engine in it seems rather arbitrary.

12 Likes

Maybe the flavour text made things a bit unclear. Here’s a screencap of the explicit rule you violated which rightfully merited an insta- :wastebasket:

Perhaps the 11 people who liked your post also missed this part.

15 Likes

The best part? Likes aren’t undoable here after a min so uhhh yeah I’m stuck with liking both of you :triumph:

Wait that doesn’t sound quite right…

10 Likes

Any news regarding this challenge? I understand that getting the final batch of reviews and results out will take quite a while, and I can accept a wait of a few days to a week if it means a better conclusion.

Yes, I’m very sorry with how long it’s taking us to get the last part out (we’ve decided to add the prelim part 2 and finals together).
Hopefully it will be out tomorrow, if tomorrow isn’t a busy day.

2 Likes

John calling Mark on the nearest payphone to him.

John:
“Marky-boy, get over here, I got 10 cars you might like”
Mark:
“I don’t need 10”
John:
“That’s why you need to get over here so we can find the best one out of the lot”
Mark:
“Alright I’m there”

Mark arrives to Jones Garage after 30-odd minutes

Mark:
“Shit, I don’t think I’ve ever been here before.”
John:
“I’ve only been here a couple, can’t say I’m super familiar with this place.”

John notices in the corner of his eye a familiar car, but doesn’t bring it up.

Mark:
“So, what have you got lined up for me?”
John:
“10 cars that fit the criteria, not sure if all are that good to be honest.”
Mark:
“Okay I’ll be the judge of that.”

10th @HighOctaneLove
Bogliq Baroness 440-6

John:
“Well would you look at this…”
Mark:
“I’d prefer not to. Who ever designed this didn’t really try”
John:
“Let’s hear the motor”
Mark:
“A bit on the loud side, how reliable are these things?”
John:
“It's not terrible, but from what I saw, this is the worst out of this group. You know what, see that straight? Punch it.”
Mark:
“Not bad, get’s up to speed at a good pace and look at all this padding all over, not shabby.”
John:
“Yeah, it’s not so bad on the safety part…. Maybe even the brakes, tho I don’t believe it, if it’s bullshit we are ourselves knee deep in shit.”
John:
“How can a car be this big be this uncomfortable?
Mark:
“Yeah…. Let’s get out of this thing.”

Good 0-100 (7.1s), okay loudness (33.7), lowest reliability in this group (56.1), braking distance is way too good for such a car (41m), heaviest car in this group, which is more of a good thing than a bad one, missing some details such as door keyholes and antennas, good drive ability (31).

9th @GassTiresandOil
Armor Streethawk

Mark:
“I think I’ve seen on of these, is it a…., wait, it’s on the tip of my tongue. I think it started with a P.”
John:
“No, this one strats with A. Anyway, let’s get in it.”
Mark:
“Wooo-wee, nice and big, what are the specs on this?”
John:
“It’s a monster, a little hard to believe it. 0-60, 6.5 seconds, insane brakes and it’s very light.”
Mark:
“Light? Ehhh, it’s gonna be a big beer can when things get heated.”
John:
“Wanna try the brakes?”
Mark:
“They seems too good to be true, I don’t wanna end up in a tree due to their bullshit claims.”
Mark:
“What’s the reliability like?”
John:
“it’s alright, it’s a little loud, or is it just me… shit is it me or is the car sagging?
Mark:
“Yeah, kinda, you know I think I want something else.”

Brake pad type too sporty (63), with that the braking distance is very unrealistic (38.4m), very good 0-100 (6.5s), lightest car in the group (1562kg), the springs are weak (332kg load), slightly high loudness (33.5), okay reliability (57.1), good price (20700) and average drivability (31).

8th @chichicoofisial
Santuario - 6.4-8

Mark:
“Wow, look at this thing.”
John:
“You like it? Thought this was a little too old man for you”
Mark:
“Nah, I’m getting excited let’s get in it.”
Mark:
“look at all that padding, god damn, this is nice, I guess this is what they call safety.”
Mark:
“What’s the 0-60 on this anyway?”
John:
“7.7 seconds and it’s front wheel drive…. Oh and it looks like they are bullshitting about the brakes as well a little.”
Mark:
“Let’s see how it drives…” Mark approaching a corner hot
John:
“SLOW DOWN MAN” Mark slams on the brakes The Santuario stops a meter before a tree
Mark:
“This FWD thing isn’t working for me.”
John:
“At least this has stellar fuel economy…”
Mark:
“Let’s go finds something else.”

Very low driveability for a FWD (29), FWD is not preferable, handling is quite poor, great weight (1763.1kg), slow (7.7s), fantastic economy (19.4l), average reliability (58.1), very safe (47.2), good comfort (27.7), brakes are a very good for the time, but possibly just a bit too good (49.8), good price (20800).

7th @EnCR
Avantii Relpaula 72 facelift

Mark:
“Quite the undercover car”
John:
“Thought you might like it.”
Mark:
“Yeah, not bad, not bad. Doesn’t have much of a presence but doesn't look too bad either. Let’s check it out.”
John:
“Well, isn’t that what you want?”
Mark:
“Yeah I guess.”
John:
“Not terribly comfortable, is it?”
Mark:
“Not terribly fast either.”
Mark:
“it’s got good brakes and it’s cheap, that’s great but isn’t enough.”
Mark:
“Y’know, this doesn’t drive that well either, yeah… this won’t do.”

Very low comfort (13.1), low side on driveability (28.8), decent fuel economy (23.3l), okay loudness (33.1), good safety (39.7). Pretty slow (7.7s), average reliability (58.9), realistic suspension settings wise, okay weight (1633kg), very cheap (18400) and good, realistic braking distance (51.9m), but brake pads are too sporty.

6th @CriticalSet9849
Morton Venery 363

Mark:
“Oooh yeah, nice!”
John:
“First impressions?”
Mark:
“Looks fly, I’m digging the looks, let’s get in.”
Mark:
“Feels good man.”
John:
“Yeah, comfortable, good safety on these too and great reliability.”
Mark:
“I like the sound of this car, let’s see how she performs.” Mark tests the 0-60 on the Venery.
Mark:
“Well that’s a bit disappointing and it feels too light.”
John:
“Shame.”

Great car, super cheap (18200), realistic braking if not more on the bad side (56.5), good comfort (23.4), fantastic reliability (59), slightly below average drivability (30.9), good safety (39.6), however low 0-100 (7.7s) and quite light (1563kg).

5th @Conan
BKOO Senner 427 UltraSport

Mark:
"Off the bat, not sure about this one, the white and yellow is a bit much, even for me."
John:
"Now that saying something, let s get in and talk about what makes it good."
Mark:
"Hey, I'm not saying it's ugly, looks decent, but yeah let's talk about what's important. Let me turn on the engine. "
John:
"You can hear it somewhat well, and look it's not that incredibly safe either, you know what, give it some gas, see what she goes like."
Mark:
Alright, alright, not a bad launch, let's see how she goes around the bends....... oooh yeah, this ones good, but not sure if that's going to keep me alive in a chase that goes sour."
John:
Not only that, but the brakes are also on the BS spectrum, don't get where they are getting these numbers from."

Lowest safety of the group (36.2), great acceleration (7.1s), below average reliability (57.8), unrealistic braking distance for the time (43.1), Top-tier drive ability (36.4) and higher than average price (22300).

4th @Spot
Contra Montegro

Mark:
"Woah, this ones interesting, it's like a bit of both, a Muscle car and an Undercover car."
John:
"Yeah, something like that, fly as things go."
Mark:
"What's it like anyway?"
John:
"Get in, start her up and you'll find out."
Mark:
"ooooh, wow, it's so quiet and look all this padding, god must be safe like a tank."
John:
"Oh yeah, and it's got the best reliability of all these cars, only thing is, it kinda drives like crap and the brakes are bordering on bullshit."
Mark:
"Whaat? Shit let me find that out for myself. ...... Well, shit, it's got decent acceleration, however the driving leaves much to be desired..... Eh, you win some, you lose some."

Quietest car of all (28.3), above average safety (44.1), decent 0-100 (7.5s), best reliability (59.6), brakes are a bit too much for the era (49.1m), worst drive ability of all cars (27.3) and above average price (22700).

3rd @Xepy
Edelgard Wyvern GTS 426 Firestorm

Mark:
“This one looks…. Interesting. Funky, quite good to be honest, just a little different.”
John:
“Yeah man, I get what you are saying, let’s get in and I’ll fill you in on this 334 horse-power pony.” Mark turns on the engine
Mark:
“Can definitely hear it, but it isn’t loud. Pretty nice, what’s the reliability with this?
John:
“Pretty good, and it’s brakes are damn good plus it’s above average with it’s safety.”
Mark:
“Can definitely feel it, wonder how she runs.”
Mark:
“Well, not bad. She's got good poke, drives alright, shit I don't know if I have anything really bad to say about this ride. Let's check the rest."

Slightly above average loudness (32.6), above average safety (42.2), good acceleration (7.4s), about average reliability (57.9), slightly above average cost (21600), good drive ability (31.5).

@abg7
MAD Corsair GTE

Mark:
“Ooh, that’s very nice, can’t say it’s drop dead gorgeous or anything, but it's understated but powerful looking,”
John:
“Yeah, they’ve improved the styling on these over the years, always been a safe bet as a car goes.”
Mark:
“Right on. Let’s get in and you tell me more.”
John:
“Shit, I don’t have the keys for this one with me…… erm, let’s go to the next one, we’ll come back to this later on.”

Average safety(41.6), a great 0-100 (7.1), below average reliability (57.8), unrealistic braking distance for the time (40.1), average price (21200), average drive ability (31.6), but very good loudness (30.7) and fantastic fuel economy (19.5l/100km)

@donutsnail
Turból Centurion Gladiator 420

Mark:
“OOOOHHH SHIIT HAaaa!”
Mark:
“Look at that! Goddam that looks fly.”
John:
“Not super undercover is it?”
Mark:
“Naw man, look, see it doesn’t have chrome, no one will suspect me.”
John:
“I see.”
Mark:
“Let’s get in, I can’t wait to drive it.”
John:
“Shit I don’t have keys for this either, I’ll go get em from Jones office.”
Mark:
“Heh”

Average loudness (31.5), slightly below average safety (41.1), very good 0-100 (6.9), well above average reliability (58.9), decent and realistic braking distance (53.9), highest costs out of the group (23700), fantastic styling and Top-tier drive ability (36.4).

John goes to pick up the keys for the Gladiator and Corsair at Jones Office

He finds the keys in a drawer along with a couple sheets of car names, their prices and clients for them.

John:
“No way…”

John looking further into what he’s found, sees that every reported stolen car from the past year is in this list.

Footsteps enter the office.

Jones shows up behind John with a briefcase in his hand.

Jones:
“John, what are you doing here?”
John:
“Picking up a couple of keys, man.”

Jones opens the briefcase and pulls out a gun and points it at John

Jones:
“John, I want you to throw those keys to me, NOW!
John:
“Jeezus man, alright!”

John throws the key he had in his right hand.

Jones picks up the key and runs towards the Corsair.

Mark is peeking through the window of the Gladiator while waiting on John

John running towards Mark’s direction.

John:
“MARK! CATCH!”

John throws the keys to the Gladiator to Mark

Mark catches the key looks over and sees Jones speeding off in the Corsair

Mark:
“What’s going on?”
John:
“I’ll explain later, GET IN AND GO AFTER HIM!”

The V8 roars into life

John:
“Jones looks to be behind this whole car theft ring, also explains how he got so many cars here.”
Mark:
“That’s enough info for me, gotta catch this bastard.”

The Gladiator peels out of the garage at max throttle

The Gladiator catches up to the Corsair quickly due to it’s faster 0-60.

Jones tries to lose Mark and Jones at a corner, the Corsairs better handling gets Jones through the corner quickly.

Mark:
“fuck this, short cut”

Mark goes over the curb and drives through the park

Jones looks back and doesn’t see Mark

As he passes the park the Gladiator slides out

The Gladiator gives it all it’s got as Mark hits the gas and hit’s the Corsair in the rear.

Jones gets squirrely, having difficulty getting it back straight

The road is blocked from two directions

Jones tries to make the right turn

He slides the Corsair sideways into a pole

Mark:
”I guess we have found my new car.”
John:
"It might need a new front bumper tho."

Congratulations donutsnail, you have won CSR120 with your Turból Centurion Gladiator 420!

From @MGR_99 and @Ryan93, we thank you for entering our challenge!

I'm hungry and exhausted from this csr stuff, I'm gonna go eat, then sleep. I'll await and criticisms and salt tomorrow :)
22 Likes