CSR79: Family Matters [Round Over, Results Published]

Going back to posting 5 cars you didn’t enter again? :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

37 ET for the engine seems a bit low even for a budget family car engine. Are you okay with increasing it to, say, 40? If not, I will just find a workaround.

I’ve been planning to increase the ETs, but I wanted to experiment a bit with test cars as some people have brought up some other issues with the challenge.

Just don’t use direct injection and you’ll be fine

So far I did something pretty good and I still have room on all fronts so I guess it’s fine?

The only issue I have is putting more than two rows of seats in any car (except probably the 3.5m wheelbase SUV) nibbles out a lot of cargo area, even if it’s +2 seats.

I’m wondering if it’s possible for third row seats to be removable / foldable? And by that I mean:

-If OP states the seats are removable, OP will also consider every single stat change upon removal of the third row
-If OP states the seats are foldable, OP will only consider the new cargo volume and utility values upon removal of the third row

Would that be possible or too hard to monitor?

So this is what I thought about changing:

• increase engine PU and ET from 45/37 to 50/42
  • increase Car PU/ET from 105/36 to 105/40
  • put practicality at 2nd from min priority (I swear I originally put that in the backstory) I did put that in the backstory actually

To account for the possible body bug:

• replace Cargo volume with effective cargo capacity (just a rewording)
  • if a car has 3rd row seating, I’ll calculate cargo volume by removing the third row, taking the difference between the 2 and 3 row cargo numbers, multiplying it by .75, and adding it back to the 3 row cargo volume number to simulate folding down seats. and take the cargo capacity then, (there’s p much no reason to do the extra math). I’ll also take that utility rating

wrt this challenge, I think that gives a suitable trade-off between purely 2 rows and 3 rows.

@Knightophonix
I’m hesitant to include “removable seats” in the way you explained it (considering every stat change) because it sort of jars against the whole family road trip stuff more than foldable seats. Some stats would have to stay the same. I think including the change in utility for folding seats is a good idea, though.

5 Likes

Lore post.

8 Likes

You want to buy a HiWay…but you need more room.

Franklin Marshall would like to present the “HiWay move”

An MPV based on the latest HiWay chassis which means no compromise.

3 rows of premium seats, rear set are fold down flat, giving a room for 8 adults (with a little bit of luggage) or 5 seats and excellent storage in the back.

6spd Automatic gearbox
30mpg (imperial)
Top speed - 155 (restricted)
0-60 in 8.3s

OTR Price $25,000 (local taxes (50% mu) takes price to $29,086)

Promotional video of the car being built.

5 Likes

OP has been updated with the changes I posted earlier

There’s one thing the Shromet Levine doesn’t do well.

Compromise. Introducing the 2003 Shromet Levine.

4 Likes

Sometimes, you just forget that it’s a minivan.

Part one.

4 Likes

The Pastinuji Freewing.

A rational approach for the family who want it all in one neat little package, equipped with standard European style wheels, this 5-Cylinder turbo has just enough presence to be known, but silent enough to hold a quiet conversation on the inside.

With more standard options than most cars twice it’s price, the Freewing should enable your family to enjoy the freedom to travel where their desires go.

All that, for just $25,000

Optional ground effects package available for an additional $1,000.

10 Likes

Sometimes, you just forget that it’s a minivan.

Part 2, real ad coming tomorrow

6 Likes

Fun in a family Sized Package

2002/3 Sakura Starfire tZ

3L Boxer Six, 25mpg, And miles of fun.

Yours for 31,500 (@ 50%, Rounded)

5 Likes

Wanted to play on words, but it looks kind of confusing, now that I think about it. Entries haven’t opened yet, so I might change it up.

2 Likes

watches everyone submit a Minivan

Aww, yeh! It’s wildcard time, baby! And I’m goin full MURICA with it!

2003 Ardent A150 LS Extended Cab AWD

Ardent’s newly redesigned A-series pickup hit showroom floors in July 2002 as an early 2003 model. The basic SE model was powered by a newly refreshed Vela 4.7 liter straight-six motor, putting out 245 horses and 278 lb-ft of torque. This engine was also standard on the step-up LS model, as was an optional Taurus V8, but Ardent had a little surprise in store for six cylinder fans.

The 3VB-47TDi. 4.7 liters of turbocharged fury, cranking out 314 horsepower and 400 lb-ft of torque. While a limited-edition LS “Super Street” was produced, utilizing a 6-speed manual transmission and rear-wheel drive, nearly all A150’s powered by this motor came with an automatic transmission and all-wheel drive. We’re thankful, for sanity’s sake.

The A150 LS shown above is a relatively common extended cab configuration, featuring 3-abreast seating in both rows, with a fold-down center console between the driver and front passenger, for use when a center-front passenger wasn’t present. Flat woven cloth was chosen for durability and ease of cleaning, and though floor mats were technically optional, Ardent “included” a set of all-weather mats with every vehicle, as the cost of shipping and selling them as separate accessories was more expensive than it was worth.

Creature comforts on all trims included air conditioning, power steering, and an AM/FM 4-speaker radio. Jumping up to the LS model added a CD player (with a 100 watt sound system rating), power windows, locks, and mirrors (with integrated turn signals), a power bench seat, power sliding rear window, and steering wheel mounted audio controls.

All A150 models came with Ardent’s SafeGuard security suite. For “large” Ardent models, this included 4-wheel antilock disc brakes, traction control, stability control, 6 air bags, and reinforced cabin safety ring construction.

Mechanically, the LS is differentiated from the SE by a limited slip differential and different engine options, as well as a towing package that included a Class-III towing hitch, transmission cooler, and 4/7 pin combo wiring.

Production percentages for 2003 broke down as follows:

2WD vs AWD: 65/35 (2WD predominantly sold in the South)
SE vs LS vs Limited: 30/55/15 (Limited models were all AWD)
Total LS “Super Street” models built: 1455
Total production 2003 model year: 301,542

Submitted trim: A150 LS Ext. Cab with 3VB-47TDi and electronic 5-speed AWD transmission.

6 Likes

Does this imply you must have exactly 5 seats in the 1st+2nd rows, no more/less? If not, shouldn’t the passenger weight be determined by the number of seats in the 1st+2nd rows?

Deleting the 3rd row to determine some stats has weird side effects depending on what sort of seating arrangement the car has, e.g. 1st+2nd being benches with no 3rd row would mean you could seat 6 while having the measured cargo volume, but 1st+2nd+3rd being bucket pairs would mean you could only seat 4 with the measured cargo volume. If you do account for this, could you clarify a bit?

Hmm…so I thought of the effective cargo value calc well before I put in folding seats, and having folding seats was almost purely a reaction to some bodies having unusually low cargo volumes with third row seating. I’d rather leave the calculation using 5 passengers regardless of seating arrangement just to simplify things, so if your car only seats 4 w/o the third row it won’t be an insta-bin or anything. Also, I’m only determining 2 stats off of the car minus the third row, so it shouldn’t be too impactful on the overall score.
To directly answer your question, unless there are objections, no I won’t account for it.

Mine has 3 rows and 1300 L of cargo. If you take out the 3rd row, that’ll give it over 2000 L. Will I have to account for that when considering capacity? I’m already at almost 1 ton, but honestly just eyeballed it (no math)

Yes, but only if you want your effective cargo capacity to be 100% of your cargo volume with the seats down. There is no requirement to have enough load capacity to account for all of your cargo volume, only that if you’re below the load capacity needed to account for all of your cargo volume according to the calculation in the OP, only a fraction of the cargo volume will be your effective load capacity.

$29,990 Driveaway!

Buy better, buy Bogliq

4 Likes