CSR87 - Scotty Doesn't Know

The mists deliver what they deliver! :smile:

It was supposed to be a better looking Clio Sport V6. So, on reflection, it was a little too forward thinking…

I thought I’d get instabinned for the costs, not the look! :cry:

1 Like

Check the tooltip for geared differential, it’s nothing like a viscous model. The geared one is meant to help with cornering and won’t lock wheels together whereas viscous is meant to lock the wheels to avoid one wheel burnouts.

I really need some design mentoring,

I got the car redesigned and remade called the WXRedesigned, it is more cheaper because the engine, instead of a Inline 6 turbo, is a 3L Inline 4 N/A. Because of the engine change, it gives me more budget to improve in everywhere else .

Other than that, I don’t know how to make the car better in design-wise and stats-wise.
If anyone wants to have a crack in making a better looking/ better made car, I will just leave the car file here

CSR87- Yurimacs - Lagau Wagon Express (WX).car (24.7 KB)

You should begin to take your inspiration from real cars of the era, and trying to “copy” them, you’ll learn some tricks by doing this, for the proportions, the fixtures you can use…

4 Likes

It doesn’t look half bad in all honesty, but the tail lights seem a bit too modern for 2003. As for some design tips, I would recommend paying attention to the body lines and see what you can do with them, and then finding a shape that fits. It helps being creative with the fixtures most times, like using them in new ways or combining them to make a new shape. Also, pay attention to alignment. A crooked crome strip or a strangely rotated light fixture could really ruin the experience to some.

2 Likes

Preliminary Reviews – Part 2

@cc9020 – Fuji Coherence TR

Returning from his lunch feeling full and refreshed, Scotty opens a browser window yet again. The next car he’s looking at is the Japanese Fuji Coherence TR, a very sober grey sedan.

“Not quite what I expected… It looks more like something from 1993 than 2003. Other than the big rims and that spoiler, it really doesn’t look like a sporty car, but it is only $10,538. The rear looks more modern at least. Maybe the engine makes up for it… 2.3L turbo I5 making 198 hp and 193 lb-ft. That’s alright I guess, nothing special… Oh wow, it’s pretty fast, with the 5 speed it can hit 62 mph in 6.7 seconds and still get 36 mpg. On to interior photos then… Damn, what is with these 4 seat sedans? Looks pretty standard except for the cheap 2 speaker stereo. I should have a look at Kustom Kulture before making a final decision.”

“Fuji Coherence TR, like any typical Japanese car it promises to be quite reliable. The interior’s pretty simple but the stock radio is shit, so it’s pretty obvious how they kept costs down. Upkeep costs are decently low, definitely at a level expected from such a car. The engine isn’t a sporty unit, with fully cast internals, but it’s surprisingly peppy for what it is and more than enough if you plan to keep it stock. Might be worth removing a muffler though, you’d almost think it’s electric with how quiet it is.”

With dated looks and budget cuts to the interior, as well as an engine lacking in ‘oomph’, Scotty decides to pass up the Fuji and check out another car.

@zschmeez – Albatross V220t

The next website to get a visit from Scotty is Albatross, where is browses to their new car section.

“Okay… I looked in the sport section and the only thing that might suit my needs and budget is this bright green mini minivan going for $14,109. Maybe if I look at their regular compacts range… Boringmobiles only… Subcompacts… That’s just depressing. Damn, I figured Albatross might have something but I’d never be caught dead in a minivan.”

@racer126 – Geschenk Kunai XTurbo

Trying to get the green minivan out of his head, Scotty heads to the Geschenk website and spots the Kunai XTurbo on the main page.

“Now this is the kind of car I’m looking for. This is a very sporty looking little hatch… Nice, the rear is just as sporty. Good to know it won’t look like a blandmobile to anyone following me. $13,669 is well within my budget, so let’s see what powers it… Damn, a 2.5L turbo I6 making 250 hp and 188 lb-ft. Not bad at all, and it’s even AWD. The 6 speed lets it hit 62 mph in 5.8 seconds and it still manages a solid 32 mpg. Now the interior… Wow, it seats five, that’s rather surprising at this point. Seats seem decent but that stereo looks like cheap trash. I’ll have a look at Kustom Kulture before my final opinion…”

“Geschenk Kunai XTurbo, this is a bit of an oddity, and not for good reasons. Firstly, the OEM stereo system is garbage from head unit to speakers. Next, though it is an I6 it’s a very dated design and whoever tuned the variable valve lift system was probably drunk. Seriously. Power and torque are all over the place, so I put it on my buddy’s dyno and I’ve never seen anything so bad. The front tires are also wider than the rear ones for some reason, but both are way too narrow, and the suspension’s ridiculously stiff. Definitely do not buy this piece of crap.”

Glad to have read a review before wasting his time, Scotty closes the page and moves on to the next car.

@nicking_hc @mr.computah – CSM Balendos Infinity

Gradually losing hope, and with the afternoon slowly winding away, Scotty moves on to the CSM website and finds the Balendos Infinity in their list of models.

“Alright, a CSM that got its heart and wheels from a Caliban. This should be interesting. It looks pretty cutesy but still sporty at the same time… Same with the rear. Wait, damn, It’s only $10,989! Let’s see what Caliban’s stuffed under the hood… 2.0L turbo I4 making an even 200 hp and 160 lb-ft. That’s not bad… It has a 6 speed and should hit 62 mph in… 6.3 seconds. Not bad at all. 26 MPG is a bit low for such a small car but I’ll gladly take it. Inside is… proper amount of seats, typical finishes, and… A basic stereo. Damn. I’ll still look at what Kustom Kulture has on it, it might be worth it.”

“CSM Balendos Infinity, it’s actually a Caliban under the hood so it’s quite a sporty little car. The engine’s well done though it’s pretty well strung to its limits, consider that if you’re planning on tuning it. An odd thing is that the mufflers are oddly placed, if you reverse their position you’ll get a little more power and economy. Might also be worth removing one of them to better hear that nice Caliban Screamer. It’s got one of those high end sportscar diffs meant for cornering to go with the Caliban suspension, and overall things are pretty simple and easy to work on. They did cheap out on the stereo, so that’s something to consider with the price.”

Deliberating to himself for a bit, Scotty figures he’ll at least give it a try. It seems to check all the right boxes except for the stereo and it’s still better than most of what he’s seen so far.

@conan – Mitsushita Boarilla TCS

Moving on to tuner favourite Mitsushita, Scotty quickly finds the page for the Boarilla TCS.

“Ah Mitsushita, they shouldn’t disappoint and I’m interested in seeing what the new Boarilla TCS is like. As expected it’s got that pretty simple yet mean look to it. People just know what it is. Let’s see what this new one has under the hood… 2.3L I4 making 187 hp and 157 lb-ft and then with that 6 speed… 0-62 in 7.1 seconds and 26 MPG. Huh, not as many performance improvements as expected from the last one, but this is one of the only cars without a turbo I’ve seen so far. Inside is… Standard setup as expected, looks decent and the stereo’s not bad either, and it even has top end safety features. I’m sure there’s plenty about it on Kustom Kulture already.”

“The new Mitsushita Boarilla is a predictable improvement over the last. The engine is well designed and a little high strung as expected, but it can decently handle a turbo as it is. Mitsushita still knows who buys these, so overall it’s a very simple car with simple parts. Biggest change with the TCS is the new geared diff like on their high end sportscars to help with the handling. Overall it’s cheap to maintain and cheap to run while still giving more expensive cars a run for their money.”

With that kind of review Scotty definitely adds the Boarilla to his list for test driving. Let’s see if the next car is as good.

@asami @leedar – Harada Comet Cs

Scotty finds his way to the Harada website and spots the promising Comet Cs as a potential new car.

“Now here’s a modern and aggressive little car… Huh, the rear end looks pretty outdated but it’s a brand new car. It’s not too bad at least, though $14,910 is getting pretty close to my budget limit. Let’s see… Another 2.0L turbo I4, pretty common setup, and this one makes 200 hp and 155 lb-ft. It’s got the requisite 6 speed and should hit 62 mph in 6.7 seconds while getting 30 MPG. This really isn’t bad, let’s hope the interior’s alright… Goddamn, another four seat sedan, really? Why is this even a trend anyways? Well, the seats look like pretty standard fare, and the stereo as well. I’ll have a look at what Kustom Kulture has on it…”

“The Harada Comet Cs is a pretty simple car without much to say about it. It’s more expensive than a lot of the competition but it doesn’t have any glaring issues, is relatively cheap to maintain, and is easy to tinker on with a decent amount of potential.”

Without any glaring issues, Scotty may as well give it a test drive if at least to provide a neutral baseline.

@masterdoggo – Dorph Nexus TX

The next website Scotty is Dorph’s, where he sees an aggressive blue sedan gracing the front page.

“Alright, this thing looks awesome! Modern, sporty, and aggressive, this is exactly the look I want. Let’s see… $14,915, damn, I hope it’s as good as it looks for that price. Engine is… a 2.2L turbo I4 making 235 hp and 209 lb-ft. It’s then got a 6 speed and can hit 62 mph in 6.2 seconds and get a reasonable 25 MPG. This seems pretty decent, the performance matches the looks. Now for the interior shots… Damn, no wonder it costs as much as it does. These are pretty high end seats with a stereo to match. I’m sure Kustom Kulture’s got plenty about this one.”

“The Dorph Nexus TX is pretty much a sport premium subcompact, so it has a price that reflects that. The engine is well built and tuned while still offering potential for more. Fitting the high end image, it has matching geared diff for cornering but be warned it won’t prevent one wheel burnouts. The sway bars are more complicated that the usual ones while the front brakes are pretty excessive, which adds to the cost of upkeep. Overall this is pretty well a premium car through and through with the cost off upkeep being fairly steep as should be expected, but it is user friendly for tinkering.”

As much as Scotty would love to own this one, he knows that high service costs are a bad idea. He reluctantly navigates to the address bar for the next car.

@deadlockriff – Criterion Marzi TD

The next website is Criterion’s, where Scotty navigates to the Marzi TD’s page to find a menacingly black and white sedan.

“Nice, blacked out front end, saves me thinking of doing it later. Let’s see here… $14,582… 3.9L turbo I6, holy hell. It makes… Oh, only 293 hp and a solid 321 lb-ft. So it’s not as wild as I thought. 6 speed and AWD, should hit 62 mph in 5.8 seconds, goddamn, and it still gets 32 MPG. Ah, photo of the rear… Not bad at all, though it isn’t as dark as the front and surprisingly has no wing. Let’s see the inside… Another four seat sedan, of course, and it’s got high end seats with a cheap ass stereo. Oh, and some brand new safety tech. Alright, I’ll see what’s being said about it on Kustom Kulture.”

“The Criterion Marzi TD feels like it’s pretty much half engine, with that 3.9L unit in a subcompact. Unfortunately it’s a pretty crude SOHC design and is crazy undersquare, so it’s not as wildly powerful as you’d expect because the design just can’t rev. For some reason the exhaust system is built amazingly, so no reason to touch that. Not like you really can, the thing’s fully clad as well, so that’s a hassle to work on it and just increases costs if you take it to a shop. Inside, well, the electric power steering is vague and the stereo’s shit. They had to cut costs somewhere. It’s still a hoot in the end but a pain to maintain.”

This is another car that Scotty feels like he’d need to modify to get the way he wants it, and sitting so high in his budget definitely won’t allow that. On to the next car.

@ornate – Accursio Marinus

Typing in Accursio’s URL and waiting for the page to load, Scotty then heads to their next car section and spots the Marinus, a sedan with a nearly fastback shape.

“Now this like blue thing looks interesting, it’s pretty much a fastback. Hmm, it’s pretty generic otherwise, both front and back, but it does look rather sporty except for those tiny looking wheels. It’s only $10,569 and under the hood… Damn, another turbo I6, this one a 2.0L making 168 hp and 179 lb-ft. 5 speed manual and let’s see the stats… 0-62 in 6.5 seconds and goddamn, 44 MPG. Didn’t expect that kind of economy. Let’s see if it’s a basic eco car inside… Nope, fairly standard interior, though that radio’s definitely the basic kind. Alright, time to browser Kustom Kulture on this one.”

“The Accursio Marinus is a bit of a mixed bag between sporty and economical. Starting with the engine, the I6 is a basic 2 valve DOHC design that’s tuned for economy, but of course putting that in such a small car makes for a sporty car. Mix that with the geared diff and you get something pretty zippy that handles just as well. No way around it, the stereo’s shit, at this price point they had to something. The Marinus is very much a basic car and the cost of upkeep reflects that, and it certainly helps that it’s very easy to work on.”

Even with the low costs, Scotty decides to pass it up due to it not being able to redeem itself for the cut rate stereo.

@rk38 – Maesima Prova ST-R

Moving to Maesima’s website with some anticipation, Scotty finds himself looking at the Prova ST-R.

“Let’s see if all the hype for these Anikatian cars is true. This is the first coupe I look at and I wonder if it can hold its own… It looks pretty nice, nicely sporty from both ends and clearly different from the shitspec models, and still a bargain at $10,095. Interior is… An expected four seats, looks pretty standard and of pretty good quality, though the radio’s a basic unit. That explains the low price. It has… a 2.15L turbo I4 that makes 181 hp and 193 lb-ft, then a 5 speed that should take it to 62 mph in… 6.9 seconds, and then an alright 26 MPG. Pretty standard stuff, time for a cursory look on Kustom Kulture for good measure.”

“The Maesima Prova ST-R is the token cheap Anikatian sporty coupe, so don’t expect anything fancy. The engine’s a simple SOHC design that works well with easy potential for many upgrades, since all the parts are rated for much higher RPMs. Inside, the stereo’s pretty damn basic but it’s got a bit of quality to it. Still worth replacing if you want decent audio. It has a fancy cornering diff, so still expect some one wheel burnouts, but other than that it’s all simple parts that are easy (and cheap!) to work with. It’s what you’d expect from a cheap Maesima.”

Another good car that might possibly be held back by its stereo, but Scotty figures it’s still worth a second look due to positives in other places. Being the only coupe certainly makes it stand out.

@mr.boxbox – Rotame Merda

Scotty next finds himself on Rotame’s website to have a look at the Merda, another bright yellow hatchback.

“Wow, another edgy looking modern design, and in a nice goldish yellow colour. Both the front and back look pretty aggressive and sporty. The price is… $11,932, that’s good, and inside is… Barren. Four seats again but goddamn is it bare in here, you’d almost think it was a Sofa. I’ll pass, just because I want a cheap car doesn’t mean I want an uncomfortable car.”

Glad he decided to not even look at Sofa’s website, Scotty types in the next URL.

@groov3st3r @marcus_gt500 – ELECTI Leo TSi-X by MV Design

Down the gradually dwindling list is the ELECTI website, where Scotty finds the Leo TSi-X by MV Design. Nice to get a mouthful just as he was getting a bit hungry again.

“What a mouthful of a name, but what a nice modern looking sedan. I really like the edgy and aggressive look and at $14,159 it’s still in my budget. Let’s see what powers it… 2.2L turbo I5 making 221 hp and 237 lb-ft, not bad at all but at this point so many of these cars are starting to blend together. Let’s see inside… Of course it’s a four seat sedan, what is even with these things? Anyways, they look pretty standard fare and there’s that really basic radio that these seem to have. It’s almost like so many manufacturers are removing a seat and skimping on the radio to have their cars below a very specific price. Right, it’s also AWD with 6 speed and should get up to 62 mph in a quick 5.9 seconds and still get 37 MPG, well this is pretty damn good. Let’s get that customary look at what Kustom Kulture has about it…”

“ELECTI Leo TSi-X by MV Design. I’ll only type it once because it’s a goddamn long name. First thing’s first, the stereo’s shit and worth replacing. That out of the way, the engine’s generally pretty simple and has plenty of potential except for the expensive and complicated direct injection system. It has a geared diff to help cornering like many high end sportscars but is otherwise mechanically simple. It’s cheap and easy to maintain, so it’s worth it if your budget it a little tight.”

Another car that could lose its edge from a cheap radio, but still worth a try later.

@nicholander – Takemi Ascera Turismo-R

Nearing the end of his prepared list, Scotty finds himself on Takemi’s website to look at the bright yellow Turismo-R.

“Alright, Takemi Ascera Turismo-R, another Japanese subcompact. The gold paint is pretty interesting… Front looks pretty nice and aggressive though I don’t think those fog lights are useful, let’s see the rear… Nope. It looks like the designer gave up when he got back there. Let’s see the engine then… Wait, this this only runs premium? Hell no, I’m not paying to run that.”

Quickly closing the page, Scotty gets himself a little snack before returning to the PC for the next car.
(Note: Running 95 RON/91 AKI)

@4lge – Taore Pratinum 2.1 20V AWD

Sated with the snack, Scotty launches a new browser window and navigates to the Taore website to see the Pratinum 2.1 20V AWD on display.

“Taore sure made it easy for me to know what’s under the hood with this one. It’s a very nice shade of white and I do like that red stripe on the side, but that front end actually might be too aggressive? It looks like it might try to eat me. The rear is… Huh, pretty normal. Actually, it’s quite a mature look, so I’m not sure what happened here. Anyways, that 2.1L engine is… ah, an I4, and it makes 180 hp and 151 lb-ft. Seems a little on the low side for the size of the car. Wait a second. This trim’s not even out yet. Well, nevermind then.”

Feeling discouraged, Scotty types in the address for the next website.
(Note: Engine production units too high.)

@fromaj – Teskamoush V

Scotty finds himself looking as the Teskamoush V in a website with nothing else on it.

“Okay… not sure if Teskamoush is the brand and V the model, or if that’s a model and trim…? It doesn’t look bad, that’s a nice blue, but ugh, steelies. Wait, this thing only gets 19 MPG? Nope, not going there.”

Scotty closes the browser and puts his head in his hands. Three more cars to go.
(Note: Make sure to name things properly, I almost missed it.)

@electrogg – SW Voyager

Taking a few minutes to regain his spirits, Scotty heads to SW’s website and navigates to the Voyager’s page to see a sparkling blue sedan.

“Alright, first impression… It seems pretty busy. Sporty, but busy. The colour is very nice, though. Let’s see here… Interior is the typical fare with four seats and a cheap ass stereo. Of course it is, because why wouldn’t it be? Ah, photo of the back… That’s much better than the front, I rather like it. Engine is… A 2.0L twin turbo H4 that makes 201 hp and 181 lb-ft. Alright, that’s pretty typical. It’s got a 6 speed… sequential? So some kind of clutchless manual. Odd. Should do the 0-62 mph in 6.7 seconds and get 24 MPG. I’ll see if Kustom Kulture has… Wait. This is another car that’s not out yet. Dammit.”

Definitely feeling the frustration, Scotty angrily closes the page and takes a deep breath before opening another.
(Note: engine engineering time too high.)

@goblin95 – Kasai Sativa Sprinter

Moving on to Kasai’s website, Scotty is greeted by the new Sativa Sprinter.

“Okay, this SUV isn’t what I want. At $15,000 even it isn’t even a bargain. Let’s see what else Kasai has… Hmm… Nope, there’s nothing there I like that I can afford. I’m not old enough to get a boring SUV, much less one with so much beige.”

With that he quickly navigates to the address bar to finish his search.

@saddiseased – Kansei Proxima AWD

Here it is, the last website on Scotty’s list. With trepidation, he heads to Kansei’s new car lineup and navigates to the Promixa AWD’s page.

“An AWD wagon, this should be practical and safe for winter. It looks… Damn, it looks very good. Crisp and modern while also very sporty. Back end is… Just as nice. I love how it looks and that metallic grey looks great on it. I hope the engine matches up… 2.2L turbo I4 making 255 hp and 209 lb-ft. Pretty good, and that AWD gets… A 6 speed to hit 62 mph in 6.8 seconds and get 25 MPG. Oh wow, the price is exactly my $15,000 budget. The interior better be worth it… Perfect, it’s all standard fare stuff without a cheap stereo. I hope there’s some good stuff about it on Kustom Kulture.”

“The Kansei Proxima AWD is a true affordable sport wagon, and while its price point is at the high end of the segment it has the equipment to make up for it. The engine is a little high strung but is overall simple except for the direct injection. Be aware that this isn’t exactly something you can tinker with. Other than that, the sway bars are a little overcomplicated but that’s the only fault for it. It’s pretty easy to work on otherwise and running costs are pretty average for the segment. It’s worth it if you can afford it.”

With that review Scotty is definitely going to be driving it, glad that his search could end on such on a high note. It’s about time he helps Tanya with supper and tomorrow he’ll take her car and go have a look at a few dealerships for some test drives.

Finalists:
@niuyorqciti
@highoctanelove
@yangx2
@johnwaldock
@nicking_hc @mr.computah
@conan
@asami @leedar
@ornate
@rk38
@groov3st3r @marcus_gt500
@saddiseased

18 Likes

Thank god Accursio’s reputation of bumpers falling off stayed in Japan.

That’s my kind of car. :laughing:

Chassis and panel materials affected a lot how I engineered this car to keep it in budget since they are so expensive. Honestly I don’t know what sort of rust-proofing would be acceptable in a rust-prone area in 2003–wasn’t that easy to look up, at least the distinction between ‘corrosion resistant steel’ and ‘treated/galvanised steel’. I gambled on maximum protection (and rejected aluminium semi-spaceframe as unrealistic).

As far as 4 seats go, that’s not unheard of for a sporty 4 door car, e.g. current gen Civic Type-R. My internal lore for that is that bucket-style rear seats hold passengers better in spirited driving, and in the case of this CSR there didn’t seem to be a pressing need for 5 seats.

See? If you’re good on design, find someone that’s good on building cars and to the finals yugo. At least that’s what worked for me. No real car manufacturer is a person alone.

8 Likes

I’m sure Scotty will reconsider when his next couple of kids arrive…

2 Likes

Fair criticism I must say… Except…

Sorry, not sorry. Those accents are tight brah!

Seriously though. I was going for something, went over budget, and made some really dumb compromises; before I knew it, I was out of time. There seemed to be a fine line between 30 mpg, and 20 mpg, so I erred on the side of caution.

Hard to argue, knowing my own entry is a working car as a result of not being tuned by me… Yet a chosen few somehow manage to juggle both roles. I suppose that comes with experience.
Also, “finals yugo”? I hope I didn’t send my car to the Yugo Finals, that seems like the wrong place to be… #yugoracewars :stuck_out_tongue:

Joking aside, I am very happy with the Calibalendos’s result. It’s a good thing I never considered anything less than 5 full seats for it… Also it’s ironic that while the original Balendos was praised for having a decent audio setup compared to the competition, this Balendos is hurt by basic stereo. Oops?

Splendid reviews! Even though I was confused of being binned because of Production units, but…

"I thought I have made sure about being in the budget, but it turns out I farted a quality point into the exhaust."

Hey look, it’s me from last round! Lol

1 Like

N/A eats production units like crazy because at this kind of power you have to manually TIG weld the exhaust and it’s pretty damn long, that’s why everyone went turbo. Cast everything and third party parts assembled together.

3 Likes

Thanks for the input! Wanted to go NA for the novelty, anyway, not like I tried to go the optimal approach to the challenge :wink:
But that quality point was expensive in this setup, I agree XD

Welp, it looked modern and expensive in the 1997 competition and I made it a bit angry looking, but it really should have gotten some more inside. I could have easily fit premium seats in under budget, looks like I should have.

Seems @goblin95’s car slipped through the cracks. I’ve edited the last review post and put it in as the next to last car.

Im pretty happy so far mate. You’ve done a stellar job on spicing the car up and I tried to keep it balanced. We’ll see how it gets on now.

I did throw a seat out to save a little on costs and weight though it wasn’t entirely necessary to do so. AWD system does push the costs up but there was no way I could fit in a better stereo within budget including all this - it adds over a grand premium over the basic and pushed me over limit. Another reminder to be more careful considering the big picture!

Damn, my bad I wasn’t clear enough about naming and all this, and I went waayyyy over the fuel economy aspect. Im so ashamed lol