Cult of Personality ][ : The Boogaloo [LORE][RD 5 FINAL RESULTS]

am i allowed 1 set of big and one set of small lights on the same car

No, you only get one pair of one kind of sealed beams, according to US law at the time. (Edit: I meant one set of sealed beams. Only 2 7’’ lights, or 4 5.5’’ lights.)

However, that law applies only to headlights. So if you want to have, say, one set of sealed beams, and then a pair of oddly large turn signals or some other kind of light, that would pass.

Take this 70's Mercedes for example. The outer 2 lights are 7-inch sealed beams, and the inner 2 are just big fog lights.

5 Likes

No, the law from 1957 to 1973 was the way I wrote it in the round rules:

You are, however, correct that a second pair of smaller lights that are NOT headlights may be used, as long as the headlights are one pair of 7" round sealed beams.

I should also note that covering headlamps with a glass or plastic shield was NOT allowed in the US until 1983. I will go back and clarify that in the rules on this one bit. If any of the 3 people who have submitted already need to make an adjustment, let me know.

Edit: I should also remind you that if your car is foreign, you MAY violate US lighting rules and do whatever is approprate for your home country. However, you will ONLY qualify for the import/export category, and no others.

Edit 2: That Mercedes you displayed may have Euro-spec lighting on it. The equivalent US model (looks to be about a '78) appears to have 2 pair of 5.75" sealed beams on it. It would be neither the first nor last time that the Euro-spec and US-spec model had a different front end.

5 Likes

Just to clarify: not covering headlamps you mean this difference, correct?

Bottom should be the correct/allowed version?

2 Likes

Yes, that is correct. Top = Euro compliant, Bottom = US/CAN compliant.

2 Likes

Sorry, I meant one “set” of sealed beam headlights, with 4 5.5’’ lights or 2 7’’ lights counting as one set.

And the Euro-spec of that Mercedes W124 used modern composite headlights.
At least, it did according to this source. Should probably cite these when I use them. :D

Edit: Still, should probably double check/research what I write before I post it next time. I admit fault there.

Edit 2: Bruh, how did I just see the European plate on the image I used?

The W123 shown is a lower spec euro model, yes, that had round lights behind a glass cover (outer = headlight, inner = foglight). The US model looked almost the same but used 7" sealed beams for the outer headlights and had no cover over the lights (and also, yellow foglights). You can also see the heftier US bumper here.

Higher spec euro models (and from 1983, every euro W123) looked like this:

6 Likes

1965 SHIDLEY SKIDMORE

Released in 1964, the Skidmore was a medium sized executive car placed between the Bruv and Ciggy in the Shidley lineup. It was the 1st above-compact Shidley to use unibody construction. Engines ranged from a 2.4L i4 to a 3.8L V8 and the car could be had in 2 door, 4 door or 5 door variants. This top trim Rapide 3800 featured a 160hp V8 engine, sporty and comfortable interior, a 4 speed manual gearbox and a distinctive 2 tone paint with side stripe.

11 Likes

Are you still working on this, or did you forget to PM me the .car file?

i havent quite finished tuning it, ill send it soon

1966 Schnell New 1700S

Thanks @HighOctaneLove for fixing up the car.

Advertising.

Introducing the New Series line of cars. Made to replace and rename further cars in the 1000 Series lineup, a series of Sport sedans and Executive cars starting in 1966 onwards. This example features a 1700cc engine with a measly 84hp. This car was made to redesign the entire lineup of cars and revolutionise them. Starting from 11500AMU. It boasts a 20MPG rating and a very aerodynamic design. Only the best of German Engineering

5 Likes

The upper half of a magazine advertisement for the Armada lineup.

My 2 brands for this competition will be the American brand Bazard, and it’s Automation-universe extension, Centara. Usually Bazard designs commuter and commercial cars, whereas Centara designs sportier cars, but both brands usually import each other’s cars for sale in their respective countries (or universes, I guess).

Lore about Bazard.

Bazard makes bottom of the line budget cars, as well as commercial vehicles. It usually does not dabble in sports cars. However, Centara specializes in performance commuter vehicles, which are then sold in the US as Bazard models; meaning US buyers know Bazard for both budget and sport vehicles. And that is one problem which gives its advertisers a headache; Bazard and Centara tend to make substantially different kinds of vehicles, and don’t often collaborate, yet they almost always sell each other’s vehicles in their homelands under their own name.

But sometimes they do work together; Centara will often make a tuned-up sport version of Bazard’s cars, and Bazard usually makes a commercial variant of Centara’s cars. And these company’s are also known for frequently collaborating on extravagant and absurd “halo cars,” which vary wildly in style and design, often year to year; from a front-wheel-drive luxury coupe ('50), a Rolls-Royce size limo ('55), an early supercar ancestor ('59), and a rediculously-huge-by-muscle-car-standards muscle car ('64). Both of them make these, both of them sell them, and rarely do either of them make any profit doing so.

Never was Bazard quite as sucessful as the big three, but it’s always been stable enough to survive, and well known enough around the states (at least in commercial circles). And plus; whenever Bazard did find itself in trouble, it could often count on it’s friend Centara to help it out (and vice versa).

Lore about the Armada.

The CR8* nameplate had been the name given to Bazard’s commercial vans for years. But up until now, the CR8 had always been built on a dedicated van chassis. The 1964 Bazard Armada CR8 marked the first time the CR8 name had been put on a more car-like chassis, which was shared with other kinds vehicles (in later years, this would become the norm).

The Armada Surge. Version shown is the Centara version, which was modified slightly to account for the automation-universe’s different regulations.

The Armada was originally intended to be a base for a plethora of cars; 2 & 4 door sedans, wagons, vans, pickups and more were part of the original concept. But right around that time, Centara found itself facing numerous financial difficulties, and after helping bail them out, Bazard didn’t have enough money left for all their plans; so they settled on making a van (the Armada CR8), a pickup (the Armada Toro), and a civillian coupe (The Armada Surge). Centara then threw some sport modifications on the Surge, to make the Armada Leviathan muscle car.

To prospective commercial buyers, the CR8 offered many advantages over its adversaries. It came standard with a V8, as well as progressive springs, power steering, bigger brakes than could be found on most cars of the time, and after 1965, a radio with a retractable antenna. It was also very reliable, practical, spacious, and thanks to it’s high ground clearance, able to handle itself when taken off the pavement. And it was cheap; only $1940 for a base model ($13,900 AMU).

That’s not to say it was flawless… For one, it had a solid front axle (that’s why the clearance was so high). It was also extremely heavy, and it’s V8 did not know the definition of fuel economy. Plus, the interior was cheaply made, and horribly uncomfortable- which is why the car was usually marketed to company executives, and not to the drivers themselves.

The Armada CR8 (left) and Toro (right). Versions shown are the Centara versions, which are modified slightly.

But as a work van, it did its job quite well. The Armada chassis overall proved a moderately good success, with CR8s and Toros selling enough to offset the losses from the Surge and Leviathan (the very design choices that made the Armada platform a great commercial chassis made it a poor car chassis).

The version provided for the competition is a base-model 1965 Armada CR8, painted in white; All Armada CR8’s were painted white unless ordered in a different color, as Bazard expected companies to repaint/restyle the cars themselves.

*“CR8” is a pun on the word “crate.” However, in official media and advertising from Bazard & Centara, it has always been pronounced as the letters “C-R-8.” In fact, though they have acknowledged it, the companies themselves have almost never actually referenced the pun.

5 Likes

:joy: I mean, it was just about the first thing I noticed…

2 Likes

1965 Neko Kabu

Its like riding your bike, but a roof!

Neko is a japanese vehicle manufactor starting first in the late 1890’s with building bikes, over trains and then building cars, motorbikes and trucks. In the earlier days the company focuses more on smaller cars and small commercial trucks.

The Kabu is the third Kei car from the comapny featuring an advanced mechical injected 0.3L engine generating 20hp. The Kabu was also sold as sporty convertable and panelvan

13 Likes

Is there a naming convention to abide by? I’m pretty used to the standard CSR style, but I wanted to make sure.

The current convention

2 Likes

1966 ARMOR VALENCIA CONVERTIBLE

By 1966, Armor Motors had secured their place in the American automotive market as a slightly upscale, smaller car (think AMC size with Pontiac flair). The newly redesigned Valencia entered the model year with much fanfare.

Though it shared an almost identical wheelbase size with the Ford Mustang (as well as drivetrain and interior options), the Valencia wasn’t considered a ponycar until 1967, when the top performance trim was renamed “Hurricane” and given specific visual treatment. Perhaps it was because the Valencia line included a full range of 4-door sedans and wagons alongside the coupe and convertible. Both 6 cyl. and V8 versions shared underpinnings and transmissions, making tooling easier for Armor (and making engine swaps easier for hotrodders).

6 Likes
1966 Quezon SuperCab

About

The Quezon SuperCab is Quezon’s first ever passenger vehicle.

In 1961, a few years after the founding of the Quezon-Sarao Plant, Ricardo Quezon felt a desire to manufacture his very own sportscar. This came after a trip abroad to the United States where he was invited to ride along in a friend’s vehicle.

The first SuperCab was made in late 1961, it was based off of a mid-40s Willys Jeep chassis (The basis for most Philippine Jeepneys of the era) with some changes to the general layout, such as the removal of the four-wheel-drive system and the front suspension being switched to a wishbone-type setup. The body is custom made from steel with a series of basic molds, and is reminiscent of American and European cabriolets of the era, with a retractable soft top roof.

It was powered by a now 20-year old 2.2-litre “Go-Devil” flathead inline 4 engine as seen in the Willys, but outfitted with twin Hitachi carburetors imported from Japan, allowing for a modest power bump up to 70hp. The transmission remained a 3-speed manual which required some effort to put into gear.

Handling-wise, it wasn’t exactly “sporty” at all. Weighing in somewhere under 900kg, it sure was light enough to be somewhat of a treat to drive, but an offroad-oriented suspension meant that it leaned quite a bit into corners and was softer overall, meaning it was just not what one would expect out of a traditional sportscar, but the soft suspension did allow for a rather smooth ride.

The first SuperCabs had relatively bare interiors, the steel plating used for the body was not covered by any form of carpeting until the later versions in mid 1962, and did not feature any tachometer at all. At the very least, it came with a radio and some vinyl seating very likely sourced from a jeepney.

Initially, Ricardo Quezon had no plans of making another SuperCab, but interest from peers meant he ended up producing a few more cars in the following years with relatively minor improvements overall. These other variants were labelled as the “30 Series”, “60 Series”, “80 Series”, and the final “100 Series”. They were labelled for the amount of vehicles Quezon had sold up to that point. The SuperCabs would sell for around ₱10,000 in 1965, which today would amount to roughly ₱700,000 or $13,000. In contrast to American-made and European-made sportscars, the SuperCabs were a bargain if not for the lack of power.

This particular featured SuperCab is that of the 100 Series first made in 1965, and is the 147th car made by the shop in late 1966. Changes over the original variant include a carpeted floor, vinyl door padding, wood door trim, vinyl and leather seats, as well as chrome interior trim. The engine now features an American-made Holley 4-barrel carburetor, which improved the power output to roughly 80hp. Exterior changes included a reversing light and thicker chrome bezels around the headlights.

The 100 Series SuperCabs were the first to truly give the company fame, when it was featured in an editorial page of the Manila Times in late 1965.

Gallery

18 Likes
1966 IVERA 77 Sport

The IVERA 77 Sport is a performance version of the well known 70 series IVERA Sedans but instead of the usual 2.8L 6 cylinder engine it came with a nicer 3.4L 6 cylinder engine. The 77 series which originally came out for 1965 modernized the entire line up bringing the cars up to date with current times. For 1966, the car introduces a brand new twin 4 barrel carburetor setup that boosts the power output considerably. The car also features air conditioning and revised liquid cooling to prevent the previous overheating issues.

Extended warranty is available as 12 month or 24 month periods and is automatically applied to every newly sold car.

Financing and leasing: Both options are available. Please visit your local dealership for more information.

Service Contracts: Can be requested from your local dealership and can be fulfilled at any licensed mechanic shop.

I hope this is sufficient enough for an advertisement. Also, expect the .car file sometime later this week I as have not sorted out some tuning issues. Expect no later than Wednesday.

6 Likes

The House Reveals Their Hand...

Presenting the @VicVictory conceived and engineered, @HighOctaneLove styled Automationverse company;

Keystone

Founded in 1901, Keystone started life building lorries, busses and vans for the English crown, having won exclusive contracts at the expense of local rivals. After the Great War, Keystone survived the lean years by exporting their business to the colonies; Canada, South Africa and Australia. By World War Two, Keystone supplied the Imperial forces with over 70% of their rolling stock. Keystone was a household name in the Empire and 4 out of 5 families who could afford a car had a Keystone in their driveway.

Keystone was now so large that they had a joint board of directors where each branch had a say in the development of new products; but the UK branch held the executive veto. So, after World War Two, Keystone found themselves floundering in a new world order dominated by the USA and the dissolution of the British Empire. Funds were scarce and R&D funds were even more so. Thankfully the multi-country structure meant that each subsiduary could be tapped for ideas and sales volumes, which kept Keystone above water throughout the late 40’s and 50’s

The 1960’s though required investment in larger cars and exports beyond the newly formed Commonwealth; this resulted in the D Series large sedan. The D series was a hybrid of ground breaking technology and obselete parts; an ugly duckling that was neither fair or foul that relied on patriotism and jingoism to paper over the flaws in it’s design compared to it’s competition.

The D2200 Super

The Canadian Market D2200 had a Keystone Canada designed inline six, double wishbone suspension and a three speed manual, all as standard!

Introduced for the 1963 model year and running up till the retirement of the model in 1971, the D2200 Super was part of the D series range. The range consisted of the D2200 Super (USA, Canada), powered by the “Ontario” inline six, the D1700 Super (UK, Sth Africa, Australia) Deluxe (Canada) and Special (UK, Sth Africa, Australia), powered by the 1.7L “Surrey” inline four and the D1400 Deluxe (UK, Sth Africa, Australia) and Standard (UK, Sth Africa, Australia), powered by the 1.4L “Surrey” inline four.

Most models sold throughout the D series model run with the exception of the D1700 standard, of which a limited number of “Standard” models were sold in Canada from 1963-1965. Other than the smaller engine, the D1700 Standard lacked reclining seats, front package shelf, and glove compartment.

The Keystone styling was distinctly British; derivative, uninspiring and vaugely old fashioned! But this didn’t stop the model from attracting a loyal fanbase who loved it’s decent price, good handling and honest performance.

The only version of the D series to be officially exported to the US, the D2200 Super was the best outfitted version of the range, boasting a higher-quality, more powerful AM radio, and power steering over lesser models. The “Ontario” six had decent power, 61Kw to be exact, and transmitted this power via a three speed manual gearbox. The D series has double wishbone suspension all 'round and reaches a tidy 162Km/h while achieving 100Km/h in 16.4s.

Want an Import from Europe without paying excessive amounts of money? Keystone has you covered!

8 Likes