Cult of Personality ][ : The Boogaloo [LORE][RD 5 FINAL RESULTS]

Just under 24 hours remaining for Round 1 Submissions.

3 Likes

1962 Legion Mallard

Background

Introduced in 1962 for the suddenly popular compact segment in North America, the Mallard was an affordable machine available in numerous body styles, which would become Legion’s most popular model and would make the brand a staple for smaller, affordable vehicles of good quality. This reputation would prove invaluable by the 1970s, when sales of small Legion models were paramount to keeping Turból Group afloat in the mid 1970s. Styling still showed some influence of the jet-age 50s, but models that followed would eschew the remaining jet-age details for a completely formal appearance. Featuring semi unitized construction with conventional Hotchkiss drive, and a selection of OHV inline 6 and V8 engines, the Mallard did not move the needle technologically, but would prove a popular and dependable family car and fleet vehicle at an affordable price. The Mallard found great sales success in Latin America and Australia as well, where Legion set up local production plants in Argentina, Brazil, and Queensland.

This example is a four door sedan Zepar, the top trim level, featuring a more luxurious version of the 6 passenger interior, and luxurious extras such as a quad-headlamp front fascia, automatic transmission, and power steering.

Specifications

Vehicle type: 4 door, 6 passenger sedan
Dimensions: 180.5”x70.1”
Wheelbase: 106.3”
FR, DW coil front with leaf-sprung live axle
216ci “Valu-Dream” OHV I6, 106 hp, 177 lb-ft

12 Likes

Wait…where is Legion from? I got the impression earlier that it was a french brand but now it seems american? (confused, haha)

American, but global. Think Ford. At this point, Legions in Europe were designed in a UK branch, separately from the American efforts, with a mixture of American and European Legion models being sold in global markets where appropriate, like Latin America. Legion will also eventually work heavily with Homura of Japan as well, selling captive imports and, following Legion UK’s closure in 1975, co-developing small “world” cars.

I’m curious though, where’d you get French? I think the last couple Legion CSR entries (133 and 136) were as American as baseball and apple pie.

2 Likes

TBH I don’t know at all… :joy:

Round 1 Reviews

1963 IP Rugger Panel Van

Small panel vans. Something that has come to fruition in say, the last decade or so, right? Simple and smart, since some mobile businesses don’t need enough room for a small machine shop or a 7-piece band. But this is not as new of a concept as some would like to think.

Today we journey back to the 60’s, when the automotive world was actually kind of like the Wild West. We look at a car that came to us, albeit in small numbers, from a wild bit of the Far East. Mamaya to be exact. IP long ago saw a niche market they could dominate with their small Rugger Panel Van. Or at least, so they thought. Efficiency and practicality weren’t often on the minds of folks during the boom economy, so IP ended up taking a shot and missing. Still, it is a very curious little beast of a wagon. Woefully underpowered for a work vehicle at just 48 horsepower, cramped driver’s seat, and no heater. But at least IP gave you a radio. Style? Just look at this thing. The mirrors look like Shrek’s ears. Frankly, the paint looks like his skin, too.

And that’s kind of the kitchy charm that has made this little van a favorite of collectors who proudly march to a different beat.

Scores in: Counter Culture - Jalopy Culture, Counter Culture - Classics

1966 Madison Trebuchet 427

It is impossible to reflect on the Golden Era of the 60’s and not take a look at the rise of the Muscle Car. And with the rise of the Muscle Car, it’s impossible not to take a look at the Madison Trebuchet 427.

Premiering for the 1966 model year, it epitomized that leading generation of rubber torching, gas-burning steel chariots that were beloved by so many and for so long. Its unabashedly large 427 cubic inch V8 spoke only one language: grunt. The best versions, of course, were equipped with the 4-speed manual transmission. These could hop to 60 in just 6.5 seconds, at least if one let off the gas just enough to stop doing burnouts. And once you were done with your jaunt, you would then have to pull over at the gas station and refill the tanks to keep those twin 4-barrel carbs happily guzzling.

Of course, the Trebuchet was present in many forms of racing back then, from stock cars to drag strips, though now mostly they are only found as drag cars. Maybe for the best, since road courses are more prevalent in racing now.

Scores in: Mainstream Culture - Muscle/Pony, Mainstream Culture - Retro MoSport

1965 Bricksley Atlantean

At the risk of just coming right out of the gate sounding like a meme… Look at this LONG BOI!

The 1965 Bricksley Atlantean was notable in a sea of wagons for a few specific reasons. Most notably, it is simply the longest of them. Period. Second, it has a curious motor in it. A straight-six that is bigger than the RMS Titanic. In fact, it’s even bigger than the 427 V8 in a Madison Trebuchet. Yes, that probably deterred a number of buyers. But for those that sampled Bricksley’s engineering, they would be treated to an incredibly smooth, yet potent power plant. And, as the Atlantean was also known for, the driver could share that feeling with 8 of his closest friends or relatives, in total style and comfort. I mean, is it really a family wagon if the kids in the back seat don’t get anxiety from constantly watching semis barreling towards them as they’re stopped at the bottom of the off-ramp?

Today, most of them have rotted away or otherwise fallen victim to the ravages of time. But those that remain can be found in pristine condition at cruises and car shows, or occasionally sighted at the parking lot of one of the hundreds of prime surfing beaches throughout the country.

Scores in: Mainstream Culture - Classic Cars, Counter Culture - Spiritual Classics

1963 Keystone D2200 Super

What’s one part Canadian, two parts British, and falls short of its upmarket demographic target? Well, you’ve already clicked on the link to get here, so you already know the answer to that.

Now, we say that a little tongue in cheek, because it could have missed the demographic a lot worse if Keystone hadn’t had the foresight to build the North American D-series models in a Canadian factory using a Canadian-designed 2.2 liter six. 82 horsepower was a bit too little for the US buyer, who was thirsting after ever more and more giddyup (not to mention having only 5 seats instead of the traditional 6), but there were plenty of Canadians who decided that was enough to get them around. With a price tag almost 20% lower than their competitors at Shidley, those same buyers didn’t care that they weren’t getting as plush of a ride, or as many creature comforts. What they did get was a good sized car that worked, and kept working.

Interestingly enough, a collector looking for one of these will have little trouble finding one with a straight frame and a workable motor for next to nothing. Keystone knew how to build a safe, reliable car, before safe or reliable were cool. And with enough of these quiet workhorses still running and coming up at estate sales, there’s always the opportunity to start from an even better base.

Scores in: Counter Culture - Classics, Counter Culture - Jalopy Culture

1965 Bazard Armada CR8

When we ask our readers “what are the 20 biggest American car flops of all time?” invariably, someone throws out the Bazard Armada CR8. It would be unfair to categorically call it a flop, at least in our opinion. But for the home market? It absolutely was.

Similarly to the IP Rugger Van, the Armada CR8 was answering a question that no one asked. What if we made a van more like a car? Well, both manufacturers were about 40 years too early in asking this question, because for the most part, no one cared. But unlike IP, whose quirky little van at least had a much smaller footprint and meekly carved out a small market, the Armada CR8 never did. At least not where Bazard intended it to.

The Armada CR8 was, of course, a full size wagon-as-a-van. Two fixed vinyl seats. No heater. At least it had a radio. And while it did have tons of cargo room, you couldn’t really stand up in it as you could in a traditional van, so cargo that was stacked farther forward was a pain to get out. And while it was inexpensive, it wasn’t so much of a price difference over a regular van for prospective owners to overlook its other shortcomings. So why did so many still sell?

South America. Because of the harsh road capabilities of the Armada CR8, a ton of them made their way to the southern hemisphere to take up duties as everything from ambulances to hearses to delivery vans. Their durability and clearance made them favorites in underdeveloped countries.

But even still in the North, you see them now and again. Almost always at a demolition derby, where again its durability plays a role in its survival.

Scores in: Counter Culture - Import/Export, Counter Culture - Motor Sport

1965 Shidley Skidmore 3800 Rapide

Imagine for a moment, you’re in your early 20’s, getting yourself established in your career, marrying the lady of your dreams, starting a family… and then being torn away and having to go to war. Hell for years, but you survive, and come home to your family. A little rocky on the return because it takes a while for the economy to transition back to peace time jobs, but you’ve got yourself a good one, a new house in the suburbs, and a reasonable car. Then one day, you realize 20 years have passed, your oldest kid has graduated and started their own family, your second is in college, and your younger two are a freshman and junior in high school respectively. Your wife is still there, you still love each other, but life has definitely lost its zest. What is a man to do?

That’s right, it’s time for a mid-life crisis car. But you still have two kids at home, and you can’t always count on your other car being available, and you’re not so irresponsible that you’re just going to get a roadster anyway. It’s a tough situation, right?

Well, look no further than the British to give you what you want. Behold, the Shidley Skidmore 3800 Rapide. It’s got two doors, so you know it’s sporty. It’s got a V8 engine, so it means business… even if that business is only running 161 HP. But best of all, in your situation, it’s got 4 rather thin but well-bolstered seats, so you can throw your two oldest kids in the back and bomb your way to the school play if you need to, blasting the latest Beatles hits over the radio loud enough you could actually hear it over the engine and wind noise.

Like many British cars, the Skidmore 3800 Rapide never sold particularly well in North America, and it did better in Canada than the US. Our chief editor recalls it as, we’re not joking, a “mid-life crisis you could bring your family along for.” And while it missed American tastes for what a two-door family coupe or sedan should be, it did provide a measure of unmistakable classic styling in an overall well-rounded package. Except the seats. They were too narrow and thin back in the day. This oversight has been corrected by many intrepid restorers, refitting in more modern British or even German interior pieces to make a more comfortable cruiser, while still retaining the surprisingly smooth, albeit underpowered, original motors.

Scores in: Counter Culture - Classics, Mainstream Culture - RestoMod

1966 Schnell New 1700S

With the benefit of almost 60 years of hindsight, auto enthusiasts and journalists can all now see what Schnell tried to bring to American shores in 1966. It was too far ahead of its time, perhaps by a decade, to be well received. Some call it a seed of what was to come later. But at the time, the Schnell New 1700S was just considered a cheap, cramped sedan from Germany that only weird Army vets who were stationed in Germany liked.

At the time, the automotive press and the general public couldn’t see past the 84 horsepower figure. They couldn’t see that its ability to carve up twisted roads was beyond superb. At the time, no one cared.

Today, they care. Big time. So much so that the Schnell New 1700S is an extremely highly sought after platform for all kinds of racing. Lightweight, nimble, and able to take a bit newer, larger, and much more powerful motors, this is a package for speed and agility all around. This also means that unmolested examples are complete Unobtanium at this point. So I hope you don’t want to try to restore it to exactly the way your GI Grandfather remembered it.

Scores in: Mainstream Culture - Retro Motor Sports, Mainstream Culture - Hot Rods and Sports Cars

1964 CM Deerhound S410

Sports cars in post-war era were fairly formulaic for the better part of three decades. Two seats, four tires, a four-cylinder motor, and really nothing else. So what does one do when they want to break the formula? When they decide that they want fewer bugs in their teeth and more horses under the hood?

The '64 CM Deerhound S410 is perhaps the answer to that, and perhaps could be considered an evolutionary bridge between the open top roadster of yore and the supercar of now. This long-hooded, low-slung Hetvesian machine makes no apologies for their departure from the norm. You want a roof? They’ll one-up it, and give you a power ragtop. Four cylinders? Double it! 258 horses under the hood from a narrow-angle V8 with twin sidedrafts, and one heck of a unique drive.

The Achilles heel, it would turn out, would be not paying enough attention to the driver, despite all CM gave them. Like other sports cars of the era, it was very low, and the cockpit narrow for both occupants. And while the seats provided plenty of lateral bolster and a fine look to them, they were little more sophisticated than what Bazard or IP provided in their work vehicles.

Still, they can be found every year at vintage speed festivals from coast to coast, and at concours events. Just don’t get to close; most owners are not exactly the most relaxed people on the planet.

Scores in: Mainstream Culture - Retro Motor Sports, Mainstream Culture - Classic Cars

1966 Ivera 77S

Visionary. Revolutionary. These are adjectives that manufacturers dream of having used to describe their cars in the press. Pushing the envelope just that much more and capturing the attention (and the money) of a nation is a coveted outcome of the design of any new generation.

But some forget that pushing the boundaries too far is just as much of a turn-off to the automotive public. Sure, there will always be early adopters, those willing to take the plunge. Today we look at one such car that had enough buyers that there was a faint collective understanding that the car existed, but has otherwise been lost to time. The Ivera 77S.

Lofty goals were set by the Swedish automaker. They would create a premium sedan with solid performance out of a respectable six-cylinder motor, with tight handling afforded by an independent rear suspension, and five forward gears in its transmission. There would even be three-point seatbelts for the front seats.

But for the American car buying public, this was all too much at once. It seemed all so foreign and bizarre, and even fragile by some. What the Swedes promised as a “car of tomorrow” ended up just sitting on the lot until tomorrow. And tomorow. And so on. Ivera was ultimately visionary, as all of these improvements would make their way into mainstream automotive usage, but some pieces would still have to wait 15-20 years for their place in the market.

Scores in: Counter Culture - Classics

Quezon SuperCab 100 Series

So, who’s got two thumbs and is completely nuts? This writer! OK, not completely nuts, I didn’t actually go out and buy this Quezon SuperCab. But I did take it for a few laps around the local motorsports park. The experience was half thrill of a lifetime and half crapping myself scared for my life.

You see, there were other cars on the track. And this Quezon had just come off a boat from the Philippines. No mods. So it still had its decapitation mechanism original windshield installed. For those who may be new to these quirky cars, because they were never sold in North America, they have a glass front windshield. And not the laminated safety glass that’s been required on all cars sold in the US since before World War II. Apparently, over there, their standards were a little more lax, and just plain old window glass was a-okay. Oh, and safety belts are for… I can’t repeat the word. Mostly because I don’t speak Tagalog.

So here I am, having made two laps solo on the track, flogging the crap out of the 80 horsepower (originally, I think it was down to about 50 by the time I got my hands on it) 2.2 liter 4-banger, going as fast as I can out of turn 3… perhaps 30 miles per hour? Well, I guess someone got some communication wrong or was just being a general evil prick… Anyway, I hear my impending doom coming from behind me, and see just this kind of light blue blur behind me, chased by a deep purple blur, both of which blasted past me in less than no time. And my adrenal gland just kinda excreted all over itself. So let’s just say I was motivated to hurry up and finish my last lap. But the Quezon is, and I cannot stress this enough… NOT A FAST CAR. I could kill my friend who wanted me to drive it on the track, but first I have to deal with not getting killed by these DAMN MUSCLE CARS WHO HAVE LAPPED ME shortly after the back straight and turn 6. I survived physically. Mentally is another matter.

I managed to get back into the pits before a disaster happened, and a couple minutes later I’m joined by the Bogliq Maverick 700AE and Ardent Marathon Super T/A that kept blowing my doors off. Of course, their drivers were both laughing and horrified at the same time. But I got a beer out of it, so, it’s all good, right?

Scores in: Counter Culture - Import/Export

1965 Neko Kabu Base

The Kei car. Icon of Japanese motoring. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING, is more uniquely Japan. They quite literally motivated their country out of the rubble of war and into a golden age of industry and technology. Impressive for cars that were initially limited to just 360cc of displacement. That’s right, motorcycles that we’d consider to small to power a motorcycle were used for family cars.

One such beautiful machine was the Neko Kabu. Strap a couple go-kart engines together, and that’s how much you got from this thing. 21 horses. But it was enough to power the car; it could even exceed 60 miles per hour, should one have a REALLY long stretch of road. It would take more than 30 seconds to get there.

There were 5 seatbelts in the Kabu, and surprisingly enough, it wasn’t complete torture to ride in one. For the driver, it was actually a more pleasant experience than squeezing into a CM Deerhound. The Kabu was also quite well appointed for such humble transportation, including amenities such as a rear luggage rack, radio, and basic climate controls.

The strict nature of Japanese maintenance requirements has, of course, led to large numbers of Kabus no longer allowed on the road, despite being perfectly functional. Slowly but surely, they made their way to our shores as curiosities, and now are quite the collector’s item in some circles.

Scores in: Counter Culture - Import/Export

1965 Hessenburg H100 (T2) Super Bus

The quintessential poor man’s people-mover. You don’t even need to say it’s name. One look, one mention, and everyone knows what you’re talking about. Of course it’s the Hessenburg H100 Super Bus!

Hippie bus. Surf wagon. Even church van. The H100 has seen all of these lives, and more. Many are now on their third, fourth, or even fifth life, with each owner having a different use or vision. What other vehicle could be this versatile over time? None. What other vehicle could have so many people feel nostalgia when they see one, unrestored and with full patina, chugging down the street? Or elicit the same reaction when they see one at a car show, with an outrageous custom paint job, lowered on bags and with a fully modern interior? None.

That’s the magic. That’s visionary, and it wasn’t even cutting edge at the time. Just enough different, using front-wheel drive and a very modest, efficient, and simple engine.

Scores in: Counter Culture - Spiritual Classics, Mainstream Culture - RestoMod

1962 Mara Companion SD

And now we have the antithesis of the Kei Car. Not famous, but infamous. Cheap cars of dubious origin: Third World countries and Eastern Bloc countries. They made their way to our shores from time to time, sometimes even on purpose.

Take for instance, the 1962 Mara Companion SD. This little Archanan hatchback was one of the cheapest cars you could get back in the 60’s. Cheaper than any American car. And that’s exactly how they felt. Cheap. Not even the cutesy inexpensive basic commuter “oh, you have roll-down windows” kind of cheap. The Mara Companion rightfully gained a reputation as a rattle trap. They came from the factory with weird rattles. Bolts would back themselves out, and no amount of threadlocker seemed to make them stay put. Radio? Hah, that’s for Bougies. Who needs more than 40 horsepower? Not us, Comrade!

But despite it all, the Mara Companion just wouldn’t die. No matter how trashed they got, they just kept going. Maybe they drank more oil than you’d like, fouled plugs like a Taco Bell bender, or needed their generators taken apart and rebuilt every, oh, 2000 miles or so. But they wouldn’t actually die.

Most have rotted away long ago, but now and then you come across one. Belching blue smoke like the day they rolled off the like. Groaning like your crazy Aunt Sharon the day after Thanksgiving. But there, nonetheless.

Scores in: Counter Culture - Jalopy Culture

1966 Armor Valencia Convertible

Open-top travel reached its Zenith in the mid-60’s. Before safety regulations put a damper on design and production, most manufacturers had at least one convertible in their lineup. Barring small roadsters, most of these were in the upper range. More affluent buyers could pay a premium, providing an enticing market for automakers to vie for.

One of our favorite examples of this is the 1966 Armor Valencia Convertible. These days it is remembered more fondly and has gained a bit more popularity than it did even when it was new. Perhaps this is due to how few cars of the era are left. After all, the Valencia came with a straight-six motor, not the V8 that was more desirable to the general public. Instead it offered a very well-appointed, attractive, and stylish coupe-convertible for a very reasonable price. The Valencia offered one of the better radios of the day, very supportive yet plush seats, tilt steering wheel, optional air conditioning, power steering and windows, as well as other then-impressive options.

The driving experience was actually quite pleasant, though not speedy by any means. Armor compensated for the underpowered motor by utilizing a 3-speed auto, something usually only found on luxury vehicles and oddball imports. The suspension was not revolutionary, but well tuned, helped out by the fact that it was not a massive vehicle to begin with.

Well preserved Valencia Convertibles still putter around the roads to this day. Few could truly be qualified as “trailer queens”, but they do exist. Mostly, they seem to be appreciated, and that is always a positive.

Scores in: Mainstream Culture - Classic Cars

1965 GSI Piccolo 1500 Rallye

WOSSOM was a fairly good rule of thumb for much of automotive history. Dominating motorsports was a great way to get people on the showroom floor. Of course, more “fringe” motorsports with “weird” cars were, shall we say, less than popular in the 60’s.

GSI had a wonderful little car that could do wonderful things on a rally course in the mid-60’s, with their Piccolo 1500 Rallye. As the name implies, it had a 1.5 liter engine, though this little wonder mill was actually a tiny V6 with overhead cams. Far too radical for the general public at the time, and of course, too small, the Piccolo was a sales failure in North America.

On the other hand, its potent performance, small package, and rarity have made it highly sought after in recent years, and the value of even a rolling shell has skyrocketed to enormous heights. Classic rally class enthusiasts, street modders, and all their cousins would tear each other apart to get their hands on one.

If you’re looking for one, expect to sacrifice a pretty penny to acquire it. And maybe a couple discs in your spine to drive it.

Scores in: Mainstream Culture - Retro Motor Sports, Mainstream Culture - RestoMod

1964 Zannin 100 1.5

While Americans were able to churn out ever larger and more luxurious barges, many places in Europe still were feeling the after-effects of the war. Simplicity, durability, and frugality were the lifeblood of many European auto manufacturers. And with the ever-escalating cost of American cars, some companies rolled the dice and sold their cars in North America, hoping to convert some buyers who otherwise might be relegated to the used car market.

Zannin’s 100 was one such car was one such car. In '64, it was available at a price that could only be beaten by the definitively cheap, poorly constructed Mara Companion. While the Zannin was by no means a luxury car, it was at least reasonable to drive and well put together. It was also among the most fuel efficient cars available anywhere, much less the US. Buyers back then didn’t appreicate economy nearly as much as they do today (and frankly, there’s still much room for improvement with our desires, but that’s another story).

While sales weren’t boundless, they were surprisingly good for a quirky Dutch sedan. Perhaps they found quirky and caring owners as a result, as a surprising number of Zannin 100’s are still around today, at least in a restorable state. More than a few cloth-roof Zannins have also found their way into the hands of customizers, who have turned them into modern day retro-cruisers with fresh interiors, air conditioning, and other modern trappings.

Scores in: Counter Culture - Spiritual Classics, Mainstream Culture - RestoMod

1965 Franklin Street

As we have mentioned previously with the Zannin 100, the Franklin Street skipped its way across the pond from Britain to the US as an attempt to capture sales from less affluent or insanely frugal buyers. The flavor, of course, was a little different this time. Zannin catered to families, while Franklin was aimed more at young singles or couples, and even empty nesters to an extent. While it had a back seat, it was realistically more of a package shelf.

Where the Franklin Street caught buyers’ attention was in its performance. It was far quicker than either a Mara Companion or a Zannin 100. For that matter, it was faster than the much-larger Keystone D2200. It was, of course, not blisteringly fast, as it only had 58 horses coming from its 1.4 liter 4-banger. But it was light, quick, and handled very well.

Today, of course, the Street can be found tearing up autocross courses all over the places; a natural habitat, given the characteristics of this tiny sedan. As well, many have been handed down through generations of a family as an heirloom, proudly taken to cruise-ins or driven in local parades.

Scores in: Counter Culture - Motorsport, Counter Culture - Classics

1966 Wells 500 Deluxe Special

Perhaps most notable as being the rebel auto manufacturer outside of the Rust Belt, Wells brought a number of fine, stylish cars to the market during the Golden Age. One such model was the '66 500 Deluxe Special. This coupe brought extra styling, refinement, and interior goodies to an already inexpensive platform. Flashier in the driveway and on suburban streets than on the track, Wells catered this model more to the middle-class family that wanted both style and usability, and were either looking for a second car, or were fine not having a wagon.

Power was decent, but not aggressive. It was competitive with the more modest trims of pony cars, so some people saw it as a larger, cushier pony. Others at the time disagreed, saying it definitely needed a diet and some exercise. Even so, it had broad appeal, even in demographics that weren’t Wells’s intended audience.

Whatever the case, the 500 Deluxe Special is still a treat to see on the roads today. Not many are left, but those that are command a fair premium in the market.

Scores in: Mainstream Culture - Muscle/Pony Cars, Mainstream Culture - Classic Cars

1962 Legion Mallard Zepar

Our final selection of this week is a car that would definitely be described as “average” back in its day. It did not stand out in any particular way; it did not have a huge, fire breathing engine, or funky styling, or a pint-sized package. It was the car you bought when you wanted something nice to drive, but didn’t want to wear a neon “LOOK AT ME” sign.

Yet the 1962 Legion Mallard is talked about more now than it ever was. So how could such a reasonable, mainstream car develop into one of motoring’s most sought-after models of the era?

The first reason is because the Mallard is simple and reliable. Original, unrestored cars are still, to this day, in the hands of some people as daily drivers. To be sixty years removed from design and manufacture and still run is a testament to durability and engineering.

The second reason is because so many Mallards were produced, that once their original lives were up they were repurposed. A good sized body with a huge engine bay at a low price is a hot-rodder’s dream. Yank out the yawn-inducing 216cid straight six, and drop in a big, cammed up V8 from any one of a dozen manufacturers, and you’ve got yourself an instant street rod.

Just don’t show grandpa. He might shoot you a dirty look. Or steal it and take it for a joy ride.

Scores in: Mainstream Culture - Hot Rods and Sports Cars, Counter Culture - Jalopy Culture

Round 1 Rankings

Mainstream Culture - Muscle/Pony Cars

Mainstream Culture - Classic Cars
1964 CM Deerhound S410
1966 Armor Valencia Convertible
1965 Bricksley Atlantean

Mainstream Culture - Hot Rods and Sports Cars
1962 Legion Mallard Zepar
1966 Schnell New 1700S

Mainstream Culture - Retro Motor Sports
1964 CM Deerhound S410
1966 Schnell New 1700S

Mainstream Culture - RestoMod
1964 Zannin 100 1.5

Counter Culture - Spiritual Classics
1964 Zannin 100 1.5
1965 Bricksley Atlantean

Counter Culture - Motor Sport
1966 Franklin Street
1965 Bazard Armada CR8

Counter Culture - Classics
1966 Franklin Street (Tie)
1963 Keystone D2200 Super (Tie)
1966 Ivera 77S
1963 IP Rugger Panel Van

Counter Culture - Import/Export
1966 Quezon SuperCab 100 Series (Tie)
1965 Neko Kabu Base (Tie)
1965 Bazard Armada CR8

Counter Culture - Jalopy Culture
1962 Mara Companion SD
1963 IP Rugger Panel Van
1962 Legion Mallard Zapar
1963 Keystone D2200 Super

17 Likes

One issue I have with the image is the body morphing is off considerably. Not to worry though, It’s probably importation that caused that. Also, I forgot the rearview mirrors. My bad :smile:

Laughing shre…eh, MY ears off. Yes, I expected this to not really be a success in the 60s America, but that’s what happens when you let random.org choose anything from your lore. :joy:

(At least IP of America spared the market from the cheapest stripper with no radio, no brightwork at all and no passenger seat)

And oh, if you happen to have a close encounter with the Quezon windshield, I give you one of the few sentences I can say in Tagalog, magpagaling ka agad!

4 Likes

Round 2 - Battle for Supremacy - 1967-1973

The US and Canada have seen all kinds of cars hit its roads, from quirky foreign imports to behemoth luxury land yachts, and everything conceivable in between. It seems like there is no end to the escalation of power and luxury, however. What path is your company taking in this period?

Requirements for ALL Entries:

Model trim year: Trim year may not be earlier than 1967 or later than 1973.

Engine variant year: Variant year may not be later than 1973 or the model trim year, whichever is earlier.

Regulations for North American Compliance:

Fuel: Leaded (universal, allowed all years), Super Leaded (allowed all years), Regular Unleaded (uncommon, 1972 and 1973 only)

Bumpers: Required, but no regulation as to size or strength.

Front lights and fixtures: At least one pair of headlights required; these must be 7" round, sealed-beam units if its one pair, or 5.75" round, sealed-beam units if two pair. (I know you can’t “measure” per se, but if they “look small”, count on needing two pair). Headlights may NOT be covered by a glass or plastic shield, but solid folding covers or pop-up lights are allowed. At least one pair of turn indicators required. Turn signals may be placed in bumpers. Parking lamps are optional.

Front light colors: No red may face forward. Headlights must be white. Turn signals must be amber. Optional parking lamps may be white or amber.

Rear lights: At least one pair of brake lights. At least one pair of turn signals. At least one pair of reverse lights. Turn signals and reverse lights may be placed in bumpers. If turn and brake lights are in the same fixture and of the same color, there must be a minimum of two bulbs in the fixture.

Rear light colors: Brakes must be red. Reverse must be white. Turn signals cannot be white.

Side marker/signal lights: One pair of front side marker lights is required. Must be forward of the A-pillar. One pair of rear side marker lights is required. Must be rearward of the rear wheels. NOT REQUIRED FOR 1967, required for all other years.

Side light colors: Front side markers must be amber, rear side markers must be red.

Mirrors: Driver’s side required.

Aerials: Long mast antenna required if car has a radio.

Fuel fillers: Fillers on the rear panel and hidden behind fixtures are legally allowed (Regulations banning this will occur in the 70’s). Fuel fillers must be on the opposite end of the vehicle from the engine.

Tires: Cross ply tires are REQUIRED for 1967-1969. Radials allowed starting in 1970, but historically these were uncommon until 1974.

File Naming Convention:
Model: COP2R2-(username) Trim: (MFR Model Trim)

Engine: COP2R2-(username) Variant: (Whatever you want to call your engine)

Export and PM me the .car file, make a post about your car in your lore thread (if possible), and make a post with picture or ad in this thread before the deadline. Also, as this is the first round, please make sure to include your company’s name and home country.

Round 2 deadline: Thursday July 22, 11:00 AM PST (UTC-7)

9 Likes

By 1970, Bricksley and their luxury sub-brand, Rowlari, had managed to ride the tail of muscle car sales enough to avoid bankruptcy. Rowlari, good at making powerful luxury road cruisers, had saved the parent company during the heat of the muscle car wars when Bricksley unveiled the first 927ci V12 as an option in several of their more ‘sport-oriented’ coupes and sedans.

After Bricksley ironed out the kinks in the new “Twin 464” powerplant, Rowlari used it in a car of their own: The 1970 Diamondback.

With 400 horsepower and a beautifully smooth three-speed automatic as the only choice for transmission, the Diamondback used the new V12 to make a luxury car designed to rival those that the British were making.

Using an advanced, highly experimental mechanical fuel injection system derived from diesel freight-hauling trucks, the ship-sized V12 was smooth and graceful. With seating for five and hydropneumatic suspension, the Diamondback was one of Rowlari’s best selling vehicles, selling strongly enough that the name is still known today. While this first Diamondback is a far cry from the brutal V16-powered sport-luxury sedan it grew into, the heritage is visible here.

Those who wanted a little more class than the other people who could even afford such a car could order the Diamondback “Fully Loaded” trim. As the name implied, every option would be checked. Instead of a 4-barrel carburettor, you received the Fuel Injection Manifold. Instead of progressive-rate springs, you received the Hydropneumatic “Cloud Ride” suspension package. You would get 15 inch magnesium wheels instead of 14 inch steel wheels, with an upgraded brake package to help stop the brutal beast. A luxury 8-track player was installed alongside an in-dash, slot loading, linear-tracking 45 RPM turntable. The roof was finished with genuine leather instead of being left as painted metal. Then, just to make sure everyone knew you’d bought the big, expensive options package, the badging was up-rated from “LX” to “Fully Loaded” alongside the double chrome stripes.

In the end, Rowlari created a strong success, even despite sharing a little too much in looks (and spare parts) with the older Atlantean station wagon.

6 Likes

Would we be allowed to still enter if we missed the first round?

1 Like

Yes you would be able to

2 Likes

1971 Hessenburg C200 1700E

Before we’re going to talk about the car, here’s a small story. The year’s 1948, which is 3 years after the war. Hessenburg has moved from its spiritual home in North Rhine-Westphalia to Sttugart, which became its home since then. Germany at that time, was in tatters as most of the country was pretty much bombed to the ground and the CEO of the company at that time decided that they need a new low-cost vehicle for the home market. Thus, the iconic C100 was born, complete with a RWD boxer and low costs, which kickstarted the classic era of Hessenburg.

Fast forward to the late 60s. Hessenburg is having a boom in sales, both in Europe as well as in America. New models were released to the market. Even when the company is polishing the classic platform. The demand for a larger vehicle in most markets was required to ensure the company’s survival in the market.

As Hessenburg’s first attempt to compete in the mid-size segment, the C200 was launched in 1968, slotting above both the C100 sub-compact and the C150 compact. Available in 3 and 5 door hatchbacks, estate and later in 1971, a 4-door sedan, the C200 is designed for versatility in mind.

At launch a 68-horsepower 1.7 liter boxer-4 was the main power plant for the C200. Transmissions offered for the car includes a 4-speed manual, an a 3-speed automatic transmission is offered as an option. In 1970, mechanical fuel injection replaced the outgoing twin carbs in the engine, making its rated performance boosted up to 83 hp with improvements to fuel consumption. These fuel-injected models were known with a suffix ‘E’ (for Einspritzung (German for fuel injection))

Several trim levels were offered in its lifetime. One of these, shown in the picture, is the base injected model, the 1700E. This is the cheapest available model for the C200 sold in the United States and Europe starting from 1971 as carburetor-powered models stopped production in the year prior.

Compared to the outgoing base carbureted model, the 1700E has some small improvements to the car. Like a new dual-tone cloth interior. Or more chrome. Or having radial tyres as standard. Or a new AM radio with higher quality speakers. And with the new base model selling for similar prices, the 1700E sounds like a good deal to have.

But then here’s a problem growing for the company. Even when its known for durability, comfort and fuel economy, the car isn’t selling well in America as much as in Europe in the 70s, probably due to higher prices and the archaic platform when transverse FWD is starting to become the norm for most cars. (Hessenburg does have a FWD platform at that time but that’s for commercial applications such as this) Adding to that problem is the rise of Japanese imports and of course, the fuel crisis, which meant that the C200 is a modest seller at best. And Hessenburg isn’t satisfied with the sales, which meant some action have to be taken.

In 1976, with changes in its naming scheme, the successor to the C200, the 3000-series was launched. With the 3000-series using an advanced platform for its time - transverse FWD with inline-4 engines, the C200 became the last ever RWD boxer to ever released from the German automaker.

But the C200, alongside its siblings, became a cult icon and examples are still being collected, modified and restored by the people who loved its charm. The platform may be dead since the late 70s (or the 80s/90s/2000s depending where you live), but the spirit of the classic Hessenburg lives on.

8 Likes

This story feels familiar, but why? :thinking:

2 Likes

THE 1972 ARMOR ANVIL

Armor’s off-road Anvil had been on the market for a few years now, but 1972 saw the introduction of Armor’s famed 270 cubic-inch SOHC V8.

“By 1972 everyone could see what was coming,” recalled former Armor Chief Engineer Gabriel Pierson. “Emissions and fuel economy regulations were going to become part of life. And here the Big Three had already invested all the time and money in R&D of overhead cams… in EVERY configuration. But instead they chose to plod through the seventies with those strangled pushrod engines… I’ll never understand that.”

Obviously, Armor Motors chose a different path. Borrowing HEAVILY from a 3-valve SOHC design developed by Pontiac in the '60’s, Armor began transforming their entire engine lineup in 1971 with a 2.2 liter SOHC 4-cylinder available in the new sub-compact Cricket. The 270 cid V8 introduced the next year was essentially two 90-degree banks of the 4-cylinder, sharing most internal parts (including the head) to cut down on tooling costs.

The Anvil responded quite well to the new powerplant, with improved power and capability compared to the previous year. The 270 (later called the 4.4 liter) would become Armor’s signature engine throughout the rest of the 20th century.

Armor’s full lineup for 1972, clockwise from top left: Valencia wagon, mid-sized Briar, Anvil, Hurricane, and Cricket.

4 Likes

OT: The Streethawk was gone in 1972?

1 Like

I think you forgot the position of my car in the restomod category. Thanks for the great reviews and quick turnaround though, I am looking forward to this round

By 1972, yes. With the new engine, they had nothing big enough to power a muscle car. Don’t worry, it comes back in the '80’s. Thanks for remembering about it!

2 Likes

Actually, good to know since I need to review the 1971 Streethawk before the next update.

2 Likes

In March of 1968 it was announced that Marshall Engineering had bought a controlling stake in Franklin Automotive. The company was being rebranded as Franklin Marshall. The insignia and car lineups would be remaining the same.

It was decided that a special HiWay GT was to be commissioned before the name change went through.