Daito Motors Japan

Daito Motors Japan, established in 1966 in Osaka, Japan, is an influent company in its own country and later around the world since the mid 70s. The company is experienced from the racetrack to the offroading, without forgeting the pleasure it can be to drive a Daito.
Since the year 1980, the manadgment decided to open a sports department: Daito Racing Internationnal, AKA DRI, to officially enter in the world competitions, and develop sportscar from a dedicated study office.

PS: Thanks to @XenoYparxi who made the logos for me (again) c:

12 Likes

1966/1970 Daito Alura 1.1 and 1.3

In 1966, Daito released the very first model of the company: The Alura.
A compact economic RWD car, powered by a 50HP 1100cc engine, called the OL engine. This engine was used in many Daito of the era for its simplicity and its low cost.

In 1970 the phase 2 is released, with a face-rearlift, and a new coupe variant, who fited the OL engine, but a 1350cc of 68HP.
The phase 2 was produced until 1975, when the second generation of Alura came out.

23 Likes

That’s exactly how a late ‘60s Japanese compact should look like! Good lookin’ lil car. I’ll keep my eye on this thread I hope you have more designs.

2 Likes

Oh I have, I’ll post a sedan soon :slight_smile:

1967 Daito Namira 1.3 and 2.4

One year after the success of the Alura, Daito had planned to develop a car to imposer on the premium sedan segment, a car for people with more budget: The Daito Namira.
The Namira fited the OL 1350 for the most common trim, but there was also a few of them who fited a 2.4 Inline 6. This one was called the Namira Super 6, and had only a few changes on the aesthetics.

The Super 6 developed 105HP, got a special logo on the hood, a double exhaust, and special wheels. It could reach 170km/h, and this sadly gave it the reputation of a nice car for the Yakuza.
Anyway, due to its prestige and rarity, the Super 6 is today the more coveted of the 60s Daito.

17 Likes

Awesome cars!

1 Like

1975/1979 Daito Alura GLE/GLX

In 1975 it was the time for the Alura to evolve with a second gen. The 1.1 and the 1.3 came from the first gen of Alura, but the chassis and the design changed.
The model was available with 3 or 5 doors.

In 1979 the phase 2 came out, the Alura GLX with the OL1350 but with a mechanical injection instead of eco carbs, with a catalytic converter, and some minor improvment like the brakes (fronts are now discs). The fuel economy was enhanced and the design reviewed.

14 Likes

1975/1979 Daito Alissa GT 2.2 and 2.8

And the most powerful model from Daito is the Alissa GT 2.2 from 1975. It has a SOHC 2.2L inline 6, a tradition for the company’s sportscars.
The first model was a 2.2 only, because with the oil crysis of the 70s, it couldn’t be bigger. Anyway the engine has a terrible fuel eco and the 1979 2.8 saved the model with its mecahnical fuel injection who gave a way better fuel eco even if the engine is bigger.

Indeed, the Alissa GT 2.8 was sold double the copy of the 2.2, and it litterally saved the existence of the model for the company.

This model was the begining of the glory age of the 80s, a Golden age of Daito sportscars!

19 Likes

1981/1984 DAITO Alura

1981 Alura GLI

The 3rd generation of Alura drastically changed: this gen is only available as a sedan. This generation of Alura is now motorised with a new engine, the K-M engine, it’s a 4 cylinder Injection. The GLI has the K3M (3 valvs)

1981 Alura Ballade SR16

The Ballade is a sports version of the Alura. The SR16 is an 1.6L of 90hp. This version wasn’t a success, because it targeted the market of the 80s GTI, and the performances were too poor for this kind of car. The only advantage was its low price.

1984 Alura Ballade SR18

But in 1984, with the SR18, Daito learned the lesson! They made a real budget sports car, a real “GTI”. The 1.8 got a single point EFI, instead of a mechanical injection, the power increased to 130 HP, and it featured a geared LSD. The massive advantage is it was a RWD, that’s the major point of its success!

15 Likes

Yeah I’m teasing my own car on my car company thread :sunglasses:

Oh shit, 3months

2 Likes

Just realised that with the beta the door handle and the mirrors disapeared!
But it’ fixed for the next photos :slight_smile:

So the car I’ll present you is the Daito MRP, the MK 2 from 1992 (The MK1 isn’t done yet, I’m waiting for a body), and it’s an MR2-ish small sports car.

I work on this car since a long time, I reworked it a few times and I think it’s done now!
Thanks to the discord for helping me to set it, I hope now I’m ok with settings :wink:

For some of you who want to try it on beamng: Daito MRP2

9 Likes

Looks nice. But why the rear struts and front DW suspension? It’s a weird choice in my view, but it keeps the price down. I prefer all DW or all struts, though.

I tried to have the nearest weight ratio to 50/50, I gained 1% haha! :stuck_out_tongue:
And a matter of price too, I tried to make this car affordable.

I really like the simplistic design the 90s usually had. 152 hp sounds low to me but it’s probably a good amount. And agreed that the DW and struts sound weird but they probably work.

1 Like