Dalnit-Bralka Rally 1965 [FINAL RESULTS!]

I propose that any valvetrain can be used freely without penalty, although if dual overhead cams are outlawed I will revise my proposed entry to use a single overhead cam instead.

I was checking FIA’s appendix J through the years, and IIRC around the 60-70s multivalve set-up were penalized with extra minimum weight.

EDIT: @ramthecowy I saw you necro-liking this. You might like this as well

http://argent.fia.com/web/fia-public.nsf/whistj?open

1 Like

I’d be willing to build a little heavy to keep in line with what my company does. 4-valve DOHC in 1965, even in a heavy car, I’ve got an idea in mind…

my idea has found an issue with the design. it’s undrivable

It has been reported (and supposedly you have admitted) that some of your grilles provide “free” cooling, that is with lower drag penalties than they should. I don’t know if any of your other stuff provides free bonuses, but I’d like to keep the rules as simple as possible. Funky fixtures are just not acceptable in a challenge.

I don’t like the idea of any weight limits or penalties. However, since variety is nice it seems like an option to raise the capacity limit for pushrod and DirOC engines. I’ve run some quick tests and it seems 2300cc pushrod is just a little bit slower than a similar 2000cc dohc, but more reliable and possibly a bit lighter. DirOC seems to be doing reasoneably well for itself, the difference in weight between this and DOHC is itself a significant penalty. However, I would consider giving Direct OC engines an extra 100cc to play with.

SOHC engines, to my mind, are fine as they are. They are cheaper and lighter than DOHC. When you’re running on 145s, that seems to be quite useful in itself.

I’ll think on this a bit more and maybe test some more tomorrow but your feedback on the above would be welcome.

I’ve also had another quick reminder at the tires and they are indeed a bit understrength on Tarmac. However, the finale being what it is, and on Asphalt, it seems fair.

i mean this all sounds really good, but what does this all mean in dumb person speak?

My issue it was fixed a few months back ago. Look the steam mods

I can testify the cooling issues were fixed. the cooling factor in vmo’s fixtures are in the same ballpark as vanilla grilles. You can check it yourself in the Lua file of the fixtures.

2 Likes

Good to hear. @vmo mods are in, I have amended the rules.

What was the brc '55 situation? That was before my time :slight_smile:

Edit: ok, I found the thread. I would indeed like that situaton not to repeat :smiley:

Edit Number Two:
#Entries are now open!
DEADLINE 08:00 (am) GMT on 14.08.2016
Please note that I have amended the rules as follows:

• Capacity limits are 1800cc for SOHC and DOHC; 1950cc for Direct OC; 2100cc for Pushrod.
  • Qualification score will be ATT flying lap time minus Engine Reliability, minus Overall Reliability, minus 1/5 of Comfort minus 1/2 of Offroad. Lower is better.
    As stated in the rules, I will not be taking a look at the cars until the entries close. But I will try to keep you up to date on the amount.

Are you excited?

The Gnoo Tadpole is excited!

7 Likes

The Kramer K216, the brand’s entry in the Dalnit-Bralka Rally 1965, was campaigned by the factory team, Kramer Motorsport Developments; it was driven by veteran Englishman Mike Stone and American rookie Frank Harper.

And this is its engine, a 1799cc DOHC straight-four chosen for its durability:

4 Likes

Is this for both laps combined, or just the second lap?

Just the second one.

Is higher or lower better?

i have 2 ideas, but not sure which one to enter

Lower is better.

Say your lap time is 2:25, engine reliability 40, overall reliability 60, comfort 20 and offroad 20.
That makes 145-40-60-4-10=31.

1 Like

Is 2:25 a time we should be aiming for? Because if so, I need to go back to the drawing board…

Storm Raceworks Division has decided to enter the Storm Demon GRX into the Dalnit-Bralka Rally.

With GRX standing for Grand Rally eXperimental, the team has designed a whole new engine, only for racing purposes. Having heard of the restrictions on V8’s, and the reduced size in power plants allowed in the rally, they’ve chosen a 1800cc DOHC V12 to power their rally car.

The car itself is built to be lightweight and fast, as well as a little safer for the driver and co-driver. The hood hinges forward to avoid it blowing open and breaking the windscreen, and the sidepipes are heat-shielded to avoid burns. The gas-cap is neatly hidden under the folding license plate bracket.

Not wanting to put his team through anything he wasn’t already willing to sign up for himself, Storm Automotive Founder, John Storm, has taken the role of Driver #1. His co-driver is Brian Shade, head of the Engine Design Team. Both have competed in amateur racing events, but neither have participated in a rally or at a professional level.

8 Likes

Now this looks properly insane, huge wing and all. But how and why on earth did you put a V12 in it, especially with the tiny capacity limit? I only needed four cylinders for my entry and didn’t want to spend more on something more complicated. I didn’t want to forgo mass production either (I wanted to enter something with plenty of relevance to road cars instead of a re-engined one-off like your entry) and was assuming that only cars whose engines had no more than six cylinders would be eligible after a rule change.

9000 RPM, 200 horsepower, 1800cc. Why the heck not? If it makes you squirm a bit more, the body’s aluminum, too. All for less than $10k market price.

Edit: I based my engine off of this rule:
6.) The race passes through the small country of Turul where V8
engines are outlawed in an attempt to promote safety. They haven’t
thought to outlaw V12s yet, so those are fine if you can afford one and
are willing to live with the weight/cost.

As for throwing out mass production, I’ve designed this effectively as a one-off car. It’s built for racing. If you want one, the idea is to buy the even-more-powerful Storm Demon GT V8 with it’s 324 horsepower V8 engine.

holy shoot… so similiar…

haha 200hp v12

yeah. tried i4, won’t rev anough.
i6 nah, v6 is superior in this case and only cost slightly more.
even then v6 still won’t rev enough. i got up to 170-ish hp.

but the v12 weighs 80kgs+… i’m still split over 40 more horsepower, or 80 kgs less

1 Like