Dalnit-Bralka Rally 1965 [FINAL RESULTS!]

That went better than expected! And I love the newspaper too!

1 Like

erm, you didnā€™t qualify.

Oh crap didnā€™t read that part of the rules. Well If I were going to go into the rally stages I probably would have done better.

The one thing I donā€™t really like about these competitions is that you donā€™t know what your competitors are going to do and how their cars perform, so I built my car for rallying when I really should have built it more for the track.

A: I missed the fuel requirement. that is my fault.

B: Huge price discrepancy between my end and yours.

Good luck to all others.

With all these nicely set up cars here, I was uncertain wether my oddball would actually pass the qualifying. Iā€™d like to get a bit of lore going with it :smile:

Walker and his co-pilot Kai Gonhan have a little chat (mostly rant) about the car after the qualifying. At first feeling like heā€™s being fooled, after actually qualifying with what is basically a sportier and somehow more bloated version of his ride back in Gasmea, heā€™s now feeling merely puzzled.

Walker: ā€œThis baffles meā€¦ā€
Kai: ā€œDonā€™t remove bafflers, Mr. please!ā€
Walker: ā€œEhh what? No, ainā€™t talking about the mufflers. Justā€¦ I expected a race car!ā€
Kai: ā€œWe qualify. This is good race car.ā€
Walker: ā€œWell, you put in that fancy engine with goddarn straws as carburettors, I get it. But this thingā€™s so heavy we barely made it, ya know? Why the wagon?ā€
Kai: ā€œIs strong base. And best 4x4.ā€
Walker: ā€œ4x4, eh? We go off-track or somethinā€™?ā€
Kai: ā€œYou mean off road? Because thatā€™s a yes.ā€
Walker: ā€œSo itā€™s one of those rallysā€¦ yeah, likinā€™ it. My dad got me one of them wagons. Letā€™s say it ainā€™t exactly what I expected could be a rally car. Especially not with that all fancy interior. Thought itā€™d be stripped to the bares, but itā€™s more fine than mine, indeed.ā€
Walker: ā€œā€¦ Whyā€™s the rear bench in if we ainā€™t even takinā€™ passengers with us?ā€
Kai: ā€œProject leaders say word exchanger needed. Boss engineer thought we sleep in car. I blame paper workers.ā€
Walker: ā€œSo weā€™re literally carryinā€™ the weight of bureaucracy! Hahah! Ohh Kai! Wait, we ainā€™t sleepinā€™ in the car, are we?ā€

4 Likes

Well, I never do well in these contests.

2nd last is not my worst (AMWEC flashbacks)

So I had the slowest qualifying time, but at least I still qualified, and hopefully my reliability, drivability and comfort will win outā€¦

Oh damn, I didnā€™t notice the fuel requirements. I wonder if they could try running it in regular anyway with a massive reliability penalty :stuck_out_tongue: Ah well, presentation looks great! Love the newpaper. Congrats and good luck to all who passed!

2 Likes

I canā€™t believe I missed the fuel requirement - Iā€™m gonna chalk it up to missing that the requirement was in RON and not AKI. :sob:

1 Like

Is it bad that I almost want to turn to page 12 on that, just to see what was written about all the cars?

well. i certainly did NOT expect to be in the headlineā€¦
@phale yes, yes we do meet again.
and thanks to that, i have a good feeling now.

there may be a pattern forming
ARTC: i rivaled with @madrias early on. i ran away with it
CSR18: i rivaled with you early on. i ran away with it
DBR65: i rivaled with you early on. will this happen again?

huehuehuehuehuehue
#smug

on another note. i also did NOT expect the benchmark cars to be so faaaaassttt O_O

4 Likes

On my end it showed a market price of just under 10000 ā€¦ and I thought that was supposed to be it ( with 0% markup if I recall ) ā€¦ anyway good luck to everyone that qualified ā€¦
Andromeda Industries awaits the next challenge if there will be one ā€¦

You ran off on the ARTC because I had a stupidly unconventional design, and you had a well-designed car.

wellā€¦ what did you expect out of an inline 4 with more than 1.1L capacity per cyl that could drive a ferry? :stuck_out_tongue:
although. a 3.3L is also a pretty unconventional. by this capacity, normally you would use a 6 cyl motor already

Hey, I stopped just shy of pure insanity. I had a 5.4L I4, but I stopped before I turbocharged it. Barely.

well thereā€™s your problem. see what i did with the turbocharger? :stuck_out_tongue:

If Iā€™d turbocharged the 5.4, there would have been two certain things: I would have done far worse overall, and I wouldā€™ve had somewhere around 1000 horsepower.

To those who have no realistic chance of actually winning the rally (including myself - I have most likely given my car too little power): who are you going to root for? I donā€™t know if @Madrias or @koolkei will claim outright honors, since they seem to have the best entries in my opinion.

I think @phale has a very balanced car. He has the perfect blend of pace(2:30:09 @ATT), reliability (41.8/64.8), comfort (20.1) and off-road ability (23.7).
@AirJordan is very quick with 2:28:01 but is a little down on overall reliability.
@Madrias has good pace, excellent off-road ability but suffers a little in comfort - we will see if that matters.
@lysambriasā€™s Cascia CS also looks very well balanced, but a bit slow.
@koolkei is also very quick, has the most reliable car, but also the worst comfort excluding @Puffster, who has by far the quickest car but suffers greatly in both reliability and comfort.

And of course, with the risk of sounding cocky, I believe my own Apulum Gerula is a very strong contender with a time of 2:29:27, reliability (44.2/60), comfort (19.4.1) and off-road ability (20.1). :grin:

I would put my money on @phale

4 Likes

In short, being too much of a tortoise or a hare relative to the opposition will actually be detrimental to your chances in the rally; the challenge is to find the mix of both that works best for you. Based on your findings, I will also put my money on @phale, but wonā€™t rule out the other contenders you mentioned, including your own.