Dave’s Garage (RIP 159, Bye Bus and Hello Mercedes)

oh

7 Likes

Because why not?

Also haha yeah this was very good timining @Microwave but amazingly unrelated-ish to that

So… as you all know I’ve been looking to make another unwise financial decision…

So here she is, my 1997 Volvo Olympian, 9.6L In-line 6 Turbo Diesel, ZF 4 Speed and about 70 seats, she’s a monster and will rival the Alfa in fuel consumption :grin:

I pick her up soon to take her to an MOT place, she’s officially insured and I’ll get a video of her driving and running soon

More pictures to come

13 Likes

Oh no!!! I’m so scared!

I know some families who would love that as a family car. Perfect for the Mormon family reunion.

Two things as I’ve said elsewhere:

1. Get some proper 90s adverts on it.
  2. Eurotrip when?
7 Likes

Permission to call it the Vengabus.

8 Likes

How did you manage to insure it?

“Do not panic, student driver”

Automation UK tour 2018

1 Like

I took my road test in a Volvo, it looked something like this:

Not the same truck, but similar looking. 12.7 liter engine and an Eaton Fuller 8 speed with a granny gear. I used another one for my classes which had a 14 liter engine and a Rockwell 10 speed in it. (And those trucks did say “Student Driver”)

2 Likes

We’ll have to decide on a name through poll at some point :joy: and yes there will be a big trip in it but maybe not for a while

Insurance was £350 for the whole year which also allows anyone over 25 to drive it and comes with breakdown cover

Better than my first quote of £1400 without all of that

1 Like

No there is no decision to be made surely, Vengabus has been declared.

:thinking:

1 Like

I was going to call it the Bang Bus but Vengabus it is :joy:

*anyone over 25 on the public roads provided they hold a full Category D license :+1:

Have a picture someone I know took on it’s last day out and about doing Christmas Eve rail replacement, awesome picture it is

+100 points for the advert

6 Likes

Brick styling… check.
Loads of space… check.
RWD… check.
I6 diesel… check.

Well, it seems you’ve bought a classic reasonable Volvo :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

And don’t forget the safety.

When the bus hits a car, it explodes, and the bus remains intact? Check!

1 Like

So to add to my bad financial decisions I have gone and bought 2 more 159’s!

4 Likes

Oh no! chav-driving on slot!

Ok honeslty, I think this is really cool and something else. But what do you do with a bus? (this is probably the 1389th time someone asks you this already)

I´d like to have a semi truck just for the lolz but I suppose I´m never actually going to do it. You did something similar and I´m just curious.
I cannot think of anything to do with that except for a road trip and a camper conversion. Where do you even park it? :sweat_smile:

I will be taking it to bus shows and will occasionally use it for other things (they are great for fetching things that cars can’t carry

It will be stored at a local museum along with other preserved buses

Quick update since I’m typing this out guys! The fleet manager has turned around and said that they can’t give me the tyres on the bus so my mate is really fighting them to change their mind so as of now it’s still sat waiting :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: