Jager Voodoo 422 "Dash Sixty" '67

Q: What is this.

A: This is the 1988 Jager LTC (Luxury Touring Coupe), dumbass.

Q: I can read thanks.

A: It’s the savior of the american auto industry, the most technologically ambitious car ever built.

Q: Which means?

A: It’s a mess of superbly 1980s and horrendously unreliable electronics and the finest american automobile engineering from the 1960s, such as unreadable LCD Displays, Floppy Disc based Satellite Navigation, a Trip computer that keeps you awake by constantly shouting at you in an irritating electronic voice about all the electrical failures (thats a safety feature), Electronically modulated suspension even though it still has a live rear axle, a shitty “High Output” 5.3L pushrod V8 with EFI and variable intake runners, and a three-speed automatic transmission with overdrive.

Q: Brilliant. Is it at least well built?

A: No. At all cost avoid cars that were built on mondays and tuesdays, and if it was built on a friday you’re basically dead already. But ones built on wednesdays and thursdays are quite solid.

Q: Is it at least fast?

A: No, unless you pay $2,600 for the ESS package (ESS= “Euro” Style Suspension) with the 5-speed. Then it’ll do 0-62 in under 6 seconds and top out at 150+mph. But only if it was built on a wednesday.

Q: Sounds great, where is the next Zavir dealer?

A: At the intersection between Mark VIIth St. and Eldorado Ave.

Q: Why does this POS have its own thread?

A: Because this will be the thread for all future cars made by Jager, Rockway and Doberman. They are my very own version of glorious 1980s GM with some FoMoCo and Chrysler thrown into the mix. Don’t worry, other decades will be present as well.

14 Likes

Y’all know where this is going…

9 Likes

Y’all know tf is going on

(also, looks awesome.)

After a disastrous launch for the 1988 LTC, the Corporate overlords were quick to give the engineers total control of it’s further development, as well as launching a secret operation to optimize the production process and improve the overall quality of all its cars, by way of sneaking into their competitors production facilities and copying their methods.

But the first development was a super modern yet cost effective new entry level engine. This was accomplished by modifying an existing engine, in this case a Doberman Medium Block I-Head straight six with a recast Aluminum block and a DOHC 24 Valve cylinder head. The engine became available in fall of 1989 and initially produced a sane 180hp in its 3.0L multiport injected form. The next step were the introduction of a new electronically controlled 4-speed automatic transmission in early 1990 and just months later the ESS suspension package became standard on all models. Even the built quality was starting to improve as time went on. At the same time a more extensive facelift was also on its way, making its debut in 1991 as a 1992 model.

The 1992 LTC had been renamed the Nightwing in honour of an innovative classic grand tourer from the 1960s.
But there was more to the Nightwing than a beloved name and a rounded appearance inside and out.
The chassis had received the most serious attention. The 1992 monocoque had nearly 60% more torsional stiffness and the ancient rear live axle had finally been replaced with A-arms for much improved road holding. Also gone was the unreliable electronically modulated suspension, with simple coil springs and two-way adjustable dampers in its place. Then we come to the engine, the OHV V8 had been thrown in the bin and the 3.0L I6 was enlargened to 3.5L. For those in need of V8 ooomph an optional Eaton M90 Supercharger boosted output from 205hp/235tq to 305hp/335tq
Also available now was a Borg-Warner T5 manual. The Manual was accompanied by wider 245/45 R17 wheels, stiffer springs and stiffer sway bars for more sports car like ride and handling, and a small rear spoiler for stability. Manual cars were known as the ST/SST while the automatic was known as the LT/SLT (SST and SLT being the supercharged cars)

Summary: The facelifted LTC lost its unreliable gimmicks and gained where it lacked, in the chassis, engine and interior department. Overall the stylish but overconfident Whale had turned into a genuinely competitive Grand Tourer and compelling, american alternative to a slew of Imports. Did it translate into a sales success? No, but then again this kind of car does not sell in their millions anyway. The Nightwing was quietly discontinued after the 1997 model year.

This concludes the Story arc for Jager Motorcraft, the luxury make capable of impressive and innovative engineering feats yet often a victim of corporate bean counting and ancient technology.

Phase II will resume shortly with a Doberman classic.

7 Likes

It looks like heavily modified third-gen Prelude met Nissan Silvia S13.

I like it!

I’ve been working on my vintage game.

Three-Ten is a hint at the 310ci Flathead Straight 8.

9 Likes

Judging by the backstory to the Jager, it seems that you have made a silk purse out of a sow’s ear!

2 Likes

That is some serious work. Love it

1 Like

I am not used to hear this kind of comment from you. Call me flattered.

2 Likes

Well credit where credit is due. Vintage chrome work is among the most difficult things to do properly in a design, and so far I’ve seen few proper examples, so yeah. This one got me really impressed.

1 Like

Damn right getting this vintage to work is difficult. Making them unique is an even harder task.

Doberman Alphadog and Rockway Blaze. Two almost identical Pony/Muscle cars for the 1990s. With some differences obviously.

The Alphadog is more akin to a Pony car, as it may be cheap and offer the style, but lacks in performance. Drive comes from a 4.0L I-Head V6 with 175hp, a 5.1L I-Head V8 with 235hp or a 5.1L Gen II I-Head High Output V8 with 294hp. A 5-speed Manual is standard.
The Blaze is slightly larger and has numerous different suspension components, many of which were taken from the late Jager Nightwing. It is more of a true Muscle car, as a 5.1L Gen II I-Head with 264hp is standard, while the optional 5.0L Rockway SOHC V8 makes 305hp or 390hp with a Supercharger.

6 Likes

While the Blaze looks better from the front, the Alphadog’s rear end is more stylish than the Blaze’s relatively bland tail. They both look period-accurate, though.

I personally feel the 'Dogs rear is a Bit too modern for 1996

Fixed.

1985 Doberman Dynamo XW 5.1 Coupe. Everyone wants the RS Fastback, but the XW 5.1 has all the RS goodies in the stiffer but less popular notchback bodystyle.

Statistics:
5.1L Doberman I-Head “High Output” Smallblock V8 with EFI, 233hp and 290ft-lb
5-speed Borg-Warner T5 manual transmission with 4.10 Limited-Slip differential, rear wheel drive naturally.
3055lbs
0-62mph in 6.3s, 142mph
$15,585 (1985 USD)

7 Likes

Every one gets some love.

1993-1997 Rockway Blazer:

Full Size Sedan, 5 or 6 seats.

Corrosion resistant Steel monocoque and body Panels
Four-wheel independent Double Wishbone suspension
4-wheel disc brakes with ABS

Rockway “Super Cammer” 90° Crossplane V8
Cast Iron Block with chain driven Aluminum Alloy 2 Valve SOHC cylinder heads
4.7 or 5.0L Displacement, 220-275hp

4-speed automatic transmission
Rear-Wheel Drive
Fuel economy: Yes.

Somehow I always get my american full-sizers wrong. LV Ramjet: V6 only, IRS. AMCC Comet: Unibody, IRS, AWD, DOHC engines. Rockway Blazer: Unibody, IRS
But IDC.

3 Likes

I like your designs. Some of them reminds me of the early 90s Ford Thunderbird which is a car I’ve always liked so maybe not so strange.

It’s more advanced for an American-made full-sizer than I expected, but it should be all the better for it. That A-arm suspension should make it surprisingly handy in the corners despite its size and weight - just as the ad says.

:joy: