Does anybody remember this title? Available for MS-DOS and Amiga

6 Likes
9 Likes

Probably a LOT of people here remember Detroit. It’s the reason I even found Automation, googling for a modern game like it. I still play it occasionally.

I always feel a little bad when I cut production or r&d in Automation because I wonder how many computer people I’m sending to the unemployment line.

I remember how Detroit ends–all the competition goes bankrupt and the player, if successful, racks up 2,147,483,647 dollars and is rewarded with negative money.

1 Like

I’m not a moderator, but i think this thread shoud be under “Off Topic”.
I moved it.
If i’m wrong, i’m sorry, feel free to change it again.

1 Like

There were some very useful features in “Detroit RTL” that could be pulled into Automation. Not the least of which was advertising, although Detroit’s awareness algorithm sucked–Awareness was a boolean (I think) since the outside consultant report would show for each level of awareness (all two of them) one of 2 statements:
Unknown: “Excuse me, what is your company’s name?”
Well known: “Everybody knows your comany.” And your sales jumped like crazy.

You pumped a ton of money into ads and as soon as the invention of Radio (unlocks the ability to buy radio ads), you can get the well-known bit to set. From there, you overflow (literally) your money with all your profit. I believe funds were a signed 2^31 double integer, but I digress. I hope advertising comes to Automation.

Another feature of Detroit was the mega menu–and this post will turn into a novel unless I post a screenshot.

When I go into “revise model” for a car in production, I can only see %markups on the first screen. To see the sale price of any vehicle, I’ve got to scroll back to the vehilce overview->markets. One model, one trim, one region at a time–very complete, but scattered.

I would like also to have the option to set my prices directly, especially since I tend to have 8 or 10 models in production that compete with each other. One thing the Detroit mega menu is missing is the material and production costs, but I’d make good use of that info if it went on the revise model screen. With all of those dollar values on one screen, I know exactly how much I got in a vehicle, the final sticker price, and how many I can sell (theoretically).

2 Likes