Does Automation simulate lock-up clutches?

In Automation, torque converter automatics always have significantly lower efficiency than the other types of transmissions, while in real life, modern automatics can nearly match (and sometimes exceed) manuals. Modern automatics use a lock-up clutch to bypass the torque converter when cruising, improving efficiency. Does Automation simulate this? Is this the reason for the difference in the efficiency of automatics between Automation and reality?

4 Likes

This is more a feeling than a fact, but I might be correct. As the automatic is always less efficient in Automation, it doesn’t make sense that the locking clutch would be simulated.

Just made a quick test build, and the automatic is worse in cruise economy by about 4.7% (If my calculations are correct)in 2016 compared to a manual with the exactly same gearing. In my mind this confirms that there is no lock-up clutch.

4 Likes

This NEEDS to be added to the modern automatic.

2 Likes

Agreed, modern automatics have largely closed the fuel economy gap.

3 Likes

Sometimes even surpassed it.

2 Likes

It only surpasses it because gear choice is automated, no?

Well yes, this is something we would like to have in game, it would be easy enough to put in.

7 Likes

I don’t know if they’ve surpassed them except for the fact that while you can learn to drive stick inside of an hour, it could take years to learn the optimal shift points for maximum fuel efficiency.

4 Likes

Which would being to question what the true utility of the fuel consumption figure is with regard to manual cars :stuck_out_tongue: but that’s probably a kettle of fish we don’t need to overturn.

I am sure that the v8 ford falcons of the last ten yrs had better recorded economy with the 6sp auto than the manual. And common belief amongst new car buyers is that an auto is more economical

Highway fuel economy regulations are calculated at a speed of 42 mph. You drive that speed on the highway where I live and you’ll get shot.

6 Likes