Drag Racing Challenge ROUND 13: 3 Cylinders Light Weight Sport Budget! Deadline 15/11/2016

The BEAMS 1G-FE is a VVT + VVL Dohc 4v engine with 75 x 75 bore and stroke. It redlines at 6250rpm and runs on 91 octane fuel…

How do I know this? I own one! (Mine’s a Lexus IS200)

so what constitutes winning? fastest raw time?

Ok well if John cool with it and @HighOctaneLove is prepared to take alot of questions about the smaller details this may work

Ram the fastest car has to survive the actual drag races and penalties in order to win

How about we keep thing with no restrictions just like HighOcatne proposed at first - straight replica of first car and if you can’t do that there is family car (which at least in my case would be miles faster) and if that’s impossible than maybe most common budget car or maybe taxi…

Whatever. I have to now choose between an Opel Karl, VW Up! or a Kia Picanto

See, that’s the spirit :smiley: I’ll have 90 hp in 1.3 ton car so Up! seems like a proper competiton to me :joy:

Close enough. :smiley:

The acutal jalopy

And my interpretation:

Yep, it has RWD because I made that in the public stable that had no longitudinal FWD. I change that, of course. And I will use partial aluminium to make the weight closer to the real car, even if the Audi had a steel-only body. The engine replica is very accurate, the gearing is hard to adapt, as it has an overdrive.

Can we use quality points? Because, well, the engine and gearbox are of impressive quality in real life. I still own it.

2 Likes

Heeeeeeyy that’s pretty good

@AirJordan I don’t think I can go with an Up because the Dutch version only comes with a 55kW 1l I3, prolly gonna get annihilated. Wait I can try the 66kW. Good enough.

I am always wondering how they made it… I mean… steel-only body and 150kg less than the Automation car, and a redline of 6300 where my engine blows up in Automation… but I floored it quite often and it is capable of handling that stress.
I did the engine 100% accurate starting from the forged crankshaft (it really has!) to the compression and the fuel choice even to the cam profile (rather low).

I know that, but it’s more of what material is the Piston, Cranks, Conrods…

Also it is very hard to make it look like an actual AS200…

Okay, I’m decided, I’ll trade the 3kW from a VW Up to build a 100kg lighter Kia Picanto 1.2CVVT Sportsline Navigator.

What a name.

1 Like

I’m willing to allow quality sliders in the engine section to achieve correct power figures and I’m happy to allow free use of the bottom end slider to ensure the engine’s reliable. I’d rather have the materials to be correct than the weight to be correct so that everyone’s on the same page (your penalty is the same as everyone elses penalty, lol)

gearbox and other sliders? I’m going to have to say no on them because they overly affect performance and again, everyone else has the same problem :grin:

Use what you need to so you achieve a working replica, I have no idea what mad science goes into bottom ends these days so just select what works for your application.

Again, I don’t care if it LOOKS correct, just make sure it’s wheelbase, engine, chassis and innards are correct!

I have to keep repeating this question, sorry to be annoying, but how do you decide a winner?

Rolling the dice.

I’m having a lot of trouble reconstructing the Kia… with 5 seats and basic interior, full aluminum chassis, and body panels and absolutely no safety I’m still 57kg over the weight of the real car… definitely not matching the mpg figures either, I’m nearly 14mpg(US) off

Right now, I am matching the power figure, with the bore and stroke but I can’t make the 10.5 compression of the Kia work, I’m at 9.8 compression. It also has way too much torque. I’m using the same valvetrain and fuel injection method.

Performance figures are okay too, the 0-62 time is spot on, even the 120km/h cruise in top gear is only 40RPM off! Same tyre sizes, brakes in the rear are simply too powerful compared to the real thing even when the diameter is 70mm smaller. And like I said earlier, the car is too heavy.

Since I don’t own a car yet, and the one my parents currently own is a nightmare for me to replicate, I won’t enter this particular round… However, I still want to see how this round turns out with the rules we were given.

I also had (well and have) Kia but can replicate everything quite well except mpg but that does not mater here so whatever… have you tried older chassis? They tend to be lighter due to less crash zones.

yes, I am using an 80’s chassis. Can I send it over to you for a quick lookover?

Have you loweted the sliders on the body to -15 ?