Drag Racing Challenge ROUND 13: 3 Cylinders Light Weight Sport Budget! Deadline 15/11/2016

Welcome to round 4 of the Drag race Challenge!

Today or rather tonight we are at Willowbank Raceway Qld Australia once again to test which company produces the fastest accelerating W.R.C over 1312ft the mighty quarter mile.

We have 9 cars present tonight from micro machines to Fallout style 50’s futuristic concept car.
As always our resident Kiwi’s Tim and Jim will be driving the vehicles.

Thats Jim on the right and Tim on the left (and this was the most tasteful picture we could find as just like their native bird they are hard to find when you want them and very camera shy)

So without further delays lets see the cars…

First up is the last car to be produced by ANZhotrods before they were bought out by the government the WRC Little Red Wagon, only 12 of these were produced and of those only this one example is left. A rigid steel space frame chassis is used and the panels were made from melted down 4 cylinder engines ( a favorite pastime of myself). Suspension meanwhile is an eclectic mix of MacPherson struts in the front and dedicated pushrod style rears.
With the intercooler clearly visible and that huge front air dam to the pumped out guards and triangulated spotlights, it makes a statement, and lets not forget that rear wing and roof scoop.
The engine is a 1600cc twin turbo v8 producing 516hp on 44 psi and a 11600rpm redline lightly based on the ford cosworth v8 used in indy cars.
One of the reasons this car sold so poorly was the use of a 6sp automatic gearbox and the use of premium seats instead of carbon kevlar race units!?

Next up is the Puffster Straight line

First up let me say that “Straight Line” is a strange name for a WRC but anywhos…
We have nick named this little bug banana rama, because that paint is yellow and we mean “Yelllloooowww”. Quite a good looking car with minimalist styling and huge welded on fender flares to fit the 395mm tyres I really liked the use of the rear wing.
A steel monocoque chassis is wrapped in aluminium body panels and the car uses mac struts in the front and semi trailing arms in the rear. This little beast produces 617hp from a 1600cc 5 valve DOHC v12 turbo. A good ole clutched 6sp manual gearbox is used and maxes out at 225km/h. Now for a rally car it is sure as hell under braked this thing runs drums all round! However it is clear that alot of time was spent in the wind tunnel getting those aerodynamics right.

Birch Motors Nebula

A more traditional late 90’s styled rally car the styling is subtle and ti the point. The chassis and body are an all alloy affair and she runs double wishbone front and rear. One of the lower powered vehicle the nebula produces 385hp from it’s 16valve DOHC 1600cc inline 4.A DCS twin clutch 6sp puts all of that power to the road. In terms of rally cars this is one of the better cars of the bunch it stops and turns where as some entrants have clearly been tweaked to go straight only.

First Order Automotive Roaring Thunder

Hmmmm this thing looks Fucking cool, like it has just been plucked from the “Fallout” universe!
Not sure that F.O.A got the brief about sending us a rally car but then we got in the thing. Proper high speed high range 4x4 all controlled by a little blue man ion the computer screen mounted as a steering wheel. 99% of the time the power runs thru the rear tyres however the computer can sense what type of surface you are on and brake or accelerate each individual tyre as is needed…very clever. That beautiful big barge body is fibreglass though so don’t crash her.
Powered by a 429hp 1599cc v12 it even sounds like it runs on a nuclear reactor and a10500rpm red line is no joke. A manual 6sp puts the power down and she will reach 360km/h!

OMG Mosfet

Going for a hat trick OMG delivered us the Mosfet. The flat green was a nice change from the devils black and as always with OMG styling is kept to a minimum everything you see has a job to do nothing is there for aesthetics. A serious contender as always the little army man runs on double wishbones in the front and a multi link setup in the rear. 524hp is delivered from a 1600cc v6 turbo screamin t its 10000rpm redline. A clever double clutch gearbox with 6 ratios is responsible for the delivery of said power. A very well engineered car.

Smooth Motors Zeabro SR

When I first laid eyes on this car i was confused, I still am. From the front this thing is pure concept car stunning! But then you get to the sides and rear and it is quite clear that the designers ran out of time, a pity really. Running on an old school ladder chassis with alloy panels and semi trailing arm suspension. A very healthy little 1.6L compound turbocharged v6 produces 655hp! With a DSC 6sp and tiny little 12" rims the acceleration is out of this world. The vehicle has no brakes, nope none at all so we are not sure whether this really is a concept car or whether something has gone seriously wrong in production.

Boqliq Kitten WRC

Now we know we say this about every Bogliq vehicle but the quality here is very high. The attention to detail is clear and the body work flows like the ocean blue the car is painted in.
A true WRC car in every aspect. Fibreglass body, pushrod suspension and transverse AWD.
A 1599cc oversquare turbo 4 cylinder makes a respectable 387hp and has one of the larger power bands out of these vehicles with 5000rpm power band. Without a doubt the best rally car here…It is a WRC champion after all.

R.J.M Killer Complex

We have called her the bat-mobile big guards pointy nose and big lights! Awesome.
A rigid steel frame has double wishbones at each corner.
The smallest engine in the field the bat-mobile has a total of 1596cc and 542hp from a quad turbo v12. The torque is incredible just magnificent and it makes power all the way to the 12000rpm redline. A single clutch sequential gearbox and geared LSD propel the car to a top speed of 316km/h and stops just as fast with the largest brakes of the comp.(the car arrived with illegal carbon brakes so they were swapped out for a set of vented discs to comply with regs) A very strong competitor

Koolkei Durago

What an Awesome little 2 door!
All Alloy body and chassis with multi-link suspension with a no fuss lets get this done styling.
597hp is forced out of the tiny 1.6L v6 by two gigantic turbos each the size of the motor on its own I could fit my head in the intake (Jim did!) The front of this car has lots of pretty lights and gadgets and reminds myself again of the early 90’s japanese rally cars of the time. Its simple but it works and is a serious contender.

2 Likes

Results

ROUND ONE

Durago(3)
vs Durago 1.28sec
Nebula(5)

Red Wagon(4)
vs Kitten WRC 0.49sec
Kitten WRC(5)

Roaring Thunder(2)
vs Zeebro SR 0.64sec
Zeebro SR(6)

Killer Complex(2)
vs Killer Complex 0.01sec
Mosfet(3)

Bye: StraightLine

ROUND TWO

Durago(5)
vs Durago 0.63sec
Killer Complex(1)

StraightLine(2)
vs StraightLine 0.26sec
Kitten WRC(6)

Bye:Zeebro SR

ROUND THREE

Straitline(5)
vs Zeebro SR 0.02sec
Zeebro SR(1)

Bye: Durago

FINAL

Durago(4)
vs Durago 0.02sec
Zeebro SR(2)

FINAL RESULTS

1st: Durago 10.46
2nd: Zeebro SR 10.18
3rd: StraightLine 10.70
Round Two Knock outs
Kitten WRC 11.56
Killer Complex 10.59
Round One Knock outs
Nebula 12.04
Red Wagon 11.95
Roaring Thunder 12.22
Mosfet 10.70

Congrats to everybody and to our new champion @koolkei.

Please koolkei select your champions pick and start working on a new rule set

2 Likes

Koolkei’s on a roll tonight/today, holy shit.

I’m happy with that result considering I built the car as a WRC contender first and a drag car second. :grin:

Interesting to see what gets thrown down the strip next! :sunglasses:

I don’t get the battles but I can see my car being the fastest and 2. at the same time…probably dice roll or something?
Well congrats to winner and I’m glad I’m the fastest :slight_smile:

well. as something made in a hurry, that certainly turned out better.
and if nobody noticed, that’s a convertible hardtop. yes, a convertible 2 door coupe :stuck_out_tongue:

i’ll get the ruleset right now. since i’m on a study break, for exams :slight_smile:

also, since the zeebro actually has the fastest time, I CHOOSE YOU!!!

okay, how about this? shit econoracebox

year 2014-2016
4 doors minimum
no AWD

engine rules

4 valves per cyl maximum
150 maximum engine engineering time
no turbo
Premium fuel
60 reliability minimum
i like those puss, so cats? yes please (catalytic converter. not literal puss)
maximum loudness 60

trim rules

4 seats minimum
275 maximum engineering time.
50 minimum practicality
minimum 30mpg (12.7km/l - 7.84L/100km)
65 average reliability minimum
$12000 maximum estimated market price
safety doesn’t really matter :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ll add standard safety with 0 q.slider (so body year doesn’t matter)

EDIT: @koolkei a model year is missing

Also no cats or mufflers?

i knew i forgot something… a lot of them

1 Like

My car was the slowest? I should’ve known that 385hp doesn’t make the mark here after 3 rounds that I participated in… I’ll be back.

And congratulations @koolkei for taking this round!

Absolutely, congrats!

Pretty satisfied with a 3rd place, but plenty of room to improve which is good.
Good luck everyone :slight_smile:

ok so it did come down to a roll if you look at how i do the battles the number in brackets is what dice roll you received for that race. I will be changing from dice rolls to a random number generator from round 5 onwards

I made a mistake Derp. @koolkei gets to pick next rounds chapions pick this round should have been @one85db I do apologize for the mistake and thank you 0ne85 for pointing it out

I picked @HighOctaneLove’s Boqliq Kitten WRC for great looks and great review.

1 Like

The upcoming round seems the sanest one thus far due to the low budget, but it could still allow some leeway for ingenious designs from the entrants.

FOA has a car ready…we’re just waiting for the “Champion’s veto” to be announced (and then we’ll have to pull it apart and go sulk in the corner).

have you TRIED making one? i designed the rule to be more limiting on engineering time rather than cost limiting :stuck_out_tongue:
i bet you’d find it hard to put barely any quality points in key places :slight_smile:
and then there’s MPFI limit, but i tried not to limit any body type, size, and such.

in short you’re free to do whatever you want, but i’ll dictate how far you can go with it
1 more thing. if you call no safety = sane. then you = insane, or just have balls that are too big

1 Like

Although there are no restrictions on safety, I used the advanced kit, if only to create a road version on which a race car could be based, assuming I actually enter this round :grinning:

I still snuck under the engineering time limit anyway for the test car and its engine :slight_smile:

waiting for extra rule but I’ve already got a car…it’s bloody fast but uses quite 30% more fuel than allowed… so yeah… thats a no :slight_smile:

i have a car nearly, but $12000 seems awfully low

nevermind, i did a derp.