Dumb questions someone else might answer

I bought one nearly 2 years early, but I bought it for the purposes of learning car stuff.

Ended up doing hardly any car stuff!

4 Likes

Without more information Iā€™ll say I wouldnā€™t if I were you. It doesnā€™t make much sense.
In 2 years time when you get your licence you would have a car that is two years older than you could otherwise have afforded if you saved your money.
Youā€™ll also need to prep the car for being laid up and still keep an eye on maintenance to prevent things from seizing up, etc if you donā€™t intend for it to be used. Time and money that could be better used elsewhere.

3 Likes

Thanks for the advice, but I am a sucker for old cars so making the car 2 yrs older wouldnā€™t make a difference if I buy one from the 70s. Thatā€™s actually my plan, not buying a car younger than me.

Again, might be dumb but I canā€™t help myself.

Whatā€™s your plan for it?

Step 1: Buy the car
Step 2: Drive the car home
Step 3: If in crap condition, do something about it. If not, leave it for now.
Step 4: Go to town and cruise endlessly until gasoline runs out
Step 5: UPGRADE! (If possible, costly business)
Step 6: Never part with it. Embrace it, take care of it, keep it in top condition.
Step 7: Crash
Step 8: If not dead, cry.
Rinse and repeat.

I think that this is a great plan.

2 Likes

So you plan to drive it underage? Doesnā€™t sound like a brilliant idea. You will fuck yourself over before you even get your license if caught, and it will make insurance a nightmare.

3 Likes

And another question Iā€™d like to ask is are there even any classic cars within your budget?

Oh God, please, donā€™t turn this thread into THAT thread again!

Regularly, buying old cars when you donā€™t have a good income is a very bad idea. Better to get a not-so old car and practice driving if you want, but again, away from cities or where you can get caught.

I beging driving at age 14, that is 4 years before I could get a license. I never got caught or crashedā€¦ until a few days after I got my license xD

EDIT: Exactly a month after I got my license.

3 Likes

Nono, Iā€™m not trying to turn it into that thread. Iā€™m just giving him some pointers as to how badly it could turn out.

If itā€™s just backroads and stuff, thereā€™s pretty much no chance that anything will ever happen, but if he wants to actually go long distances in it then itā€™s a pretty poor idea.

Also sidenote, thereā€™s nothing wrong with getting an old car as long as itā€™s not a total shed and as long as it wasnā€™t a shit car in the first place, like an 80s Lincoln.

1 Like

Well what specifically is considered a shit car? The 80s Lincolns I know of all seem like they would be pretty solid cars.

And for that reason, I will leave you to ponder with that question in your head. Enjoy.

1 Like

Well asking what defines a shitty car still seems like a question thats far enough away from that thread.

I find itā€™s best to start with something older that will make it necessary for you to learn about basic repairs in order to keep the car going. Such skills can prove valuable so that should you end up on the side of the road, hopefully you wonā€™t be completely helpless. (One of my early driving lessons involved wedging the choke open with a fat pen if I had starting issues)

But how many people do you think would actually try to learn rather than just having it towed to a mechanic and having it fixed there.

You can learn basic repairs on a Honda Civic or [insert typical new driver car here] if you do the maintenance yourself.

And you get the advantage of knowing it will more often than not start even down to -30C, and not let you down when you really need the car.

@Darkshine5
Texas might not be as bad as Australia, but Arizona definitively is.

Just look at the historical temperatures for Pheonix

Versus Alice Springs

3 Likes

There is a statistically proven strong positive correlation between recency of obtaining legal permit to drive and having a Fender bender :stuck_out_tongue:

God no! Iā€™m not going to drive it underage, I would be in a lot of troubleā€¦ Just thinking pre-buying.

Iā€™m thinking about a 70ā€™s Corolla as a good choice to me. A very basic, small, simple car. A bit over 60hp out of a 1.2L I4. Easy to maintain and cheap to upkeep (or so I have heard).

@Sillyworld I have a private stretch of dirt road in my use. Nobody comes there other than my family members and neighbors so it would be a great place to start learning stuff, like backing up and learning the clutch of the car. That kind of driving I would do, not actually going on bigger roads.

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure of the yield of two years in advance, everything else remaining the same. Unless you can see legislation making it difficult or expensive to own a car in the interim or something.

Yeah, maybe 2 years is a bit too early. Iā€™ll probably do the same as with my bike, buy it 1/2 years before getting my license, because I want to drive my own car right from the start.

If its a good car that you plan on working on I say go for it. I would highly recommend trying to find an 86-91 Corolla with a 4age. great cars tough as nails and plenty fast, plus you havnā€™t lived until you have driven a 4age at 7000+rpmā€¦sigh MR2 love forever

@lukerules117 theres no such thing as reasonable and semi-cheap anymore I would stick to track days until you get a handle on driving at speeds. and defensive driving coarses are fun and worth the money

1 Like