Erin and ErinSport - Historical Thread ['62 Erin Ghaleda]

Thank you! :grinning:

1 Like

I’m assuming the livery was Photoshop? Yes, cracking job you’ve done there :grin:

Of particular note is that although subsequent Gran Turismo games include the R8 LMP, it has been overshadowed in those installments by its replacements, the diesel-powered R10 and R15 TDI, as well as the mid-engined supercar named after it. And I always think of GT4 every time I listen to “I Predict A Riot” by the Kaiser Chiefs (which was featured in the game’s soundtrack).

@Deskyx you are spot-on, although in later GT games turbo upgrades only have three stages; each one shifts peak power higher up the rev range than the last. At least they all include uprated intercoolers now. And if I remember correctly GT6 is the only game in which any car (including the super-expensive Le Mans prototypes) can be bought at any time as long as you have enough credits to do so.

1 Like

M8 nothing beats a Minolta Toyota 88CV witha stage 4 turbo.

1 Like

This guys knows it ^^

…well the Pescarolo C60 + turbine gets close to it

Im.gonna say it…worst sounding game ever. The music is good and then it all falls apart the cars sound like shite not shit shite. I i was alive in the 80’s just sorta kinda i had 5 yrs of it and all of the 90’s long live kurt long live dimebag

3 Likes

I’m with you on that. and same goes for traction control. Absolute pain in the ass. turn it off and all you get is wheelspin, you can’t even drift.

I love forza but after 3 it didnt add anything worthwhile to the game but i love the mod system and engine or supercharger swaps

@ramthecowy Yep, photoshop job, all my own work etc :smiley:

@abg7 It’s a shame, the R10 and R15 were both brilliant cars but the R8 has always been my favorite. That might be some GT4 nostalgia kicking in there but who cares!

@Deskyx Ahhh! That car was the shit. Absolutely bonkers.

@Darkshine5 You are right there, it’s a shame the sound wasn’t any good, especially as compared to today’s games, it sounds like crappy phone game. But then you just start racing aaaand nothing else matters.

2 Likes

Your write up made me think of something. It’s a shame open cockpits aren’t a thing in this game. I understand why, but if the devs could just snap their fingers and have it in the game it’d be sick. I’d love to make some open cockpit track cars, and having to settle for a soft top when trying to make a barchetta in the earlier decades just doesn’t feel quite right.

Also, I gotta agree with some of the other folks in here, that livery is amazing.

2 Likes

Thanks for the livery appreciation! Means a lot :smiley:

And you are so right. Open cockpit bodies would be great for 50s, 60s and 70s racers too (i’m thinking Jaguar C Types, Can-Am cars, amongst others). And perhaps even open wheel cars too. Trouble is, none of those really fit into the typical types of cars that are mass produced, which this game certainly focuses on. Perhaps in the future!

3 Likes

Well I tried doing the last two, but it became way too complicated and messy. The former two however…

#Gran Turismo 4 - Erin Showroom
Slap on a bit of this and have a browse through how Erin would have appeared in GT4 (minus a few New Cars that I haven’t made yet ;))

##New Cars

##Legendary Cars

I can’t bare anymore of this nostalgia. I need to play GT4 again…

18 Likes

You Have Bought: Erin Tauga X 3.3 '00

Get in Car? Yes/No

Potto was here.

9 Likes

Aw yes, big :heart: that is amazing!!!

The presentation is definitely on point! I can imagine myself listening to Kaiser Chiefs’ “I Predict A Riot” right now… Also, some of the cars in your lineup can only be obtained as prizes, although as I previously mentioned, they can be bought at any time in GT6 if you have enough credits to do so. What would they cost in that game? And can you please show the list of available exterior colors for the road cars? I recall spending several minutes deciding between a new car’s color before purchasing it!

@ramthecowy Thanks! :grin:

@abg7 No idea, haven’t played GT6 so I don’t know. Probably quite a lot :wink: I could do exterior colours but that’d take a looooong time. I could do mini palette if you like?

2 Likes

I fully agree with your suggestion. The Erin prototypes should cost a few million credits in GT6 give or take.

I’d certainly hope so :wink:

A man approaches Erin showroom.
“Good morning there!”
“Good morning sir, may I help you?”
“You most certainly can! I’m looking to buy an Erin Nardella used or new. If you could direct me to on of your chaps that would be splendid.”
“Of course, while you wait, tea or coffee sir?”
“I’m fine, thanks,” the man replied with a smile.

A hour later, a green Nardella rolled off the lots, a grinning man at the wheel mashing the throttle as he hit the road.

Security summary for the day:
a small green unidentified car has entered the Cavallera property.

7 Likes

##“Back in my day, the wedge was all the craze”
(Said no one ever)

But there’s no denying that the 70s car world was crazed, ecstatic and bewildered over the wedge. It was the shape of the future. Goodbye curves, hello linear - the wedge became the symbol of modern.

And naturally, Erin wanted in on the craze.

#1972 Erin Tegale
Backstory
After the founder of the company Dominic Erin handed control over to his son Marco Erin in early 1970, Erin went through a bold period of change. Aged just 29, he had become CEO.

He’d always been close to his father, and had regularly joined him as he toured Europe and the world in the 1950s with Erin Motorsport. In 1968, the Erin Lira was launched, and he’d been the chief man behind the project. He may well have been young, but he knew what he was doing.

Erin went through a bit of an identity crisis in the late 60s, with the race team Erin Motorsport essentially competing for attention against the car making side of the company. So, Marco proposed a reshuffle. The car building side was reorganised and rebranded as just ‘Erin’. Erin Motorsport was reformed into Erin[color=turquoise]Sport[/color], given more autonomy and given direct access to Erin itself, including car designs, engineers/expertise and the X Department.

With internal politics dealt with, it was time to focus on Erin, and Marco knew exactly what he wanted - to turn Erin into a slightly exotic, always reliable and visionary car company. By the end of 1970, two new cars had been released: the Comprida and the Civera, the latter of which would become a very succesful race car thanks to Marco’s reforms.

Now, however, he needed a halo car. Something to shake the automotive world up a little bit with, and something to put Erin thoroughly on the map. Enter the Tegale.

Overview
The Tegale was a high-end, luxury sports car built between 1972 and 1979, when Erin’s financial disaster forced it out of production. It aimed to combine superb performance with class leading comfort and refinement. But that’s not all - it was going to look extraordinary.

Marco tasked his chief designer Harold Forgeley with styling the car so that it would put Erin at the forefront of modern car design. What else then but to utitlise wedge design on the Tegale: it would be as bold as Erin had become.

Not only that, but this car would be fast. 0-60 in just 6.4 seconds on the top-end GT-S trim, thanks to the 3.6l V8 under the bonnet, meant it could keep pace with a Ferrari 208.

Design
A typical full steel monocoque was used for the Tegale, keeping it sturdy, and the overall weight came in at 1153 kg. The vinyl roof was not optional - you had to have it - though a convertible version was also produced.

The styling was as Harold Forgeley described it “new”. Not just with the wedge front end, but with the thin, rectangular headlights and made straight lines found around the car. This continued with the interior, which was a wood and metal design inspired by art deco architecture.

This was also the first ever car from Erin to have pop-up headlights, which were to yet to become popular in Britain. Many saw it more as a quirk, as oppose to their actual intentions which were to maintain the wedge shape whilst still complying with headlight regulations.

Performance
The 3.6l SOHC V8 produced 206hp, meaing 0-60 in 6.4 seconds and a top speed of 142 mph. In short, it was bog standard for its day.

Double wishbones all round made sure this car was comfortable and sporty. While certainly not as sharp some of its competitors, the Tegale was reassuringly laid back in its handling, and was most at home on snaking mountain pass in the Alps.

Result
The automotive press were immediatley split on the Tegale. Some heralded it as brilliant piece of design. Others found it simply horrifying to look at from the front. Marco had expected this, and it was exactly what he needed; people were talking about Erin, and the debate over the Tegale’s styling boosted sales across the range.

Against its sports and even supercar rivals, the Tegale was only really competitve in a straight line. Some have even come to question whether it was actually more of a GT car.

Yet, within a few years, the Tegale was no longer a perplexing ugly duckling. Thanks to cars like the Aston Martin Lagonda, Lotus Esprit and Triumph TR7, the Tegale emerged as an innovative piece of automotive design. It’s performance level also put it into competition with the Italians outside of the race track for the first time, and Erin’s image of “that slightly exotic British car maker” had been established.

If this car were a song, it’d Bennie and the Jets by Elton John

Stats

13 Likes