Feature Unlock Dates

There is a difference between first use and “common” use, the game is set up for “common” use where that certain tech had gained enough acceptance to become “mainstream”. You CAN unlock things earlier when the tycoon bit comes out but you will pay for it. Ford had the EEC-IV MPFI in the mid/late 80s but it was also not the best compared to Fords later MPFI and this is what will be simulated with the earlier unlock dates.

Cool stuff. :slight_smile:

I considered posting something like this a couple of times, but I kept wondering if some people would call “spoilers!”. Glad to see people like it. :slight_smile:

I REALLY hope that there is some kind of R&D system that you can invest in to get technologies earlier. Of course, we are still a ways out before fully developing this system, but here’s how I’d really like to see it:

Invest Money in researching a technology that should no be unlocked for a long time
The further away it is from it’s “common” date, the more expensive it is to research
Once it is unlocked, reliability and possibly efficiency are lower than normal
Investing more R&D or putting the early adapter tech into production will cause this technology to become gradually better.

Example:
If I’m really rich by 1960, and I want Direct Port Injection, I should be able to invest ridiculous amounts of money to get it, but it may take 3 years of ridiculous amounts of money, then another 5 of years of development or production to really get the tech to where it would be automatically in the 2000s.

In reality, Direct Injection was first mass produce my Mercedes in 1955, but it was nowhere near what it is today. A-la this system, you could reproduce that. Additionally, it may be possible to get something earlier than any company ever did in real life, because it’s “your” company’s story. But it should take a lot of dedication in R&D research and resources to make it happen.

Some things shouldn’t be available to early. Like a CD player in a car before CDs were even invented. I think it’d be a little much to say my car company invented CDs in 1968. But if CD’s were initially invented in the late 70s, put into mass production into early 80s, then begin common acceptance in the mid 80s, including high end cars, then I think being able to begin early adopter research in the late 70s should be possible.

Just like in reality, this gives you something to spend your large profits on, and something to look forward to as your company progresses. If you desire to try to be the first cars made of carbon fiber, have direct injection engines turbo engines, and Sequential Transmissions in the 70s, you can! It’s just REALLY expensive!!!

There will be, you can search for it but I’m pretty sure it will allow up to a possible15 year researched advancement , 10 will be more reasonable though, in tech year unlock, but with reliability penalties.viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6991&p=76672&hilit=research#p76672

Awesome, thank you! Missed that thread, lol.

Glad to see they are already planning on such a system.

I don’t mean to resurrect my old thred but here are some more cool ideas being thought about by the dev team.viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4068&hilit=wages

This is pretty handy

I updated the OP to include minimum tyre profile for each year.

Nice work!

a very nice job!

give that man a cookie!

imho, the max tyre width is missing

That’s because there isn’t any tire width limit, only a tire profile limit, which he listed.

Wider tires in the 40’s, 50’s, and 60’s needed a small rim and lots of sidewall.

@Mason148: It would be best to migrate topics like these to our official wiki (linked on forum landing page on top). We’ll make it more structured in the next days.

Hello everybody!
Any ideas why I don’t have acces to 8- and 9-speed sequental gearboxes (both singl and dual clutch)? I tried years 2016 through 2020.

Well, that would be because there are not 8-9 speed sequential gearboxes (at least, not in production cars)

inb4 the ZF 8 and 9 speed used by Aston Martin, maserati, dodge and many others is a planetary gearbox not a sequential.

I think we’ve seen by now that there are planetary automatics that can shift just as fast as if not faster than manuals. But in game selecting a torque converter adds nearly a full second to your 0-60 time, and it will still be slower no matter how many quality points you put in it.

1 Like

Well, why 8- and 9-speed sequential gearboxes were mentioned in the first place? Were they removed from the game?

I actually suggested a more modern automatic transmission, like triptonic or ZF Multiplate clutches but it seems that would only happen if the drivetrain choices aren’t enough in the gameplay.

@Lex About the list, look it in detail, it hasn’t been updated in a while and the current dates and options doesn’t match, for example, we now have spaceframe and partial aluminum, and EFI unlocks in the early 80s. Remember the game still in development, we still get some balancing changes every once in a while.

With the first Unreal version out, how much has changed (or in the case of new features) been added for feature unlocks?