Fiddling with a gearbox's individual gear ratios

Thing is: that doesn’t change anything, really, nothing at all. Right now, if you have 5 gears and you want to make an overdrive gear you just pull up the fourth to the estimated top speed and let the fifth “stick out”. Overdrive all day long. It wouldn’t be any different with that checkbox.

1 Like

I’ve already made several cars with overdrive. Just do as Killrob said and set the top speed above the car’s max, then set the number of gears for overdrive with the slider.

On a semi related note, the quality slider on the drive train tab, does it affect the drive train as a whole including the engine?

Just wondering if increasing the quality here would compensate for a low quality engine.

It does not affect the engine, that would be very bad. :slight_smile: It reduces power losses in the drivetrain and drivetrain weight.

Cool - I agree it would be it would be bad and IMO “cheating”

I asked why we have more than 7 speeds available in a MANUAL transmission. I know there are 7+ automatics out there. On production cars and trucks, I’ve never seen or heard of an 7+ speed other than on corvettes.

I believe that the Dodge Colt/Mitsubishi Mirage had a form of an 8-speed. Also, many heavy trucks use them. In the future, this may become more common.

I think a fully customizabe gearbox is a must. You can develop engines and know there exact powerband, you should be able to tune the gearbox to use that band effectively.

So all the things you can do right now do not count as customization? :wink:

That’s exactly why I’m hoping for one - not exactly a fully customizable gearbox, but more like changing the individual ratios. I don’t know about flywheel weights and why they help or what not, so that would definitely be confusing and possibly harmful to the gameplay to someone with even less knowledge.

1 Like

How would it make people buy your car over another players car?
I think for sandbox and some simulation type of things it pretty fun thing to have in there, selectable through a tab saying Advanced or something, so players can choose for simple or advanced gearbox settings, where simple is the way it is now.

It adds to the gameplay of the players experience, if they know how to make use of it really. But for the tycoon part it doesnt really bring in something new, imo.

Maybe it would add to the tycoon element. does the player invest in a new box on their new model or reuse an older one and save money.
Do you offer cheaper vehicles sharing one box or offer more tailored ones with less profit Or more expensive list price

Do you want to make the tycoon part even more difficult, with already so many things to consider?

Yeah, too much micromanagement in the tycoon would definitely not help the quality of gameplay.

Why does the transmission get a stupidly long first gear when i choose more than 6 or 7 gears? It wouldn’t let me shorten the first gear enough for a descent 0-60 time.

That’s a bug. Will be fixed soon.

[quote=“WizzyThaMan”]How would it make people buy your car over another players car?
I think for sandbox and some simulation type of things it pretty fun thing to have in there, selectable through a tab saying Advanced or something, so players can choose for simple or advanced gearbox settings, where simple is the way it is now.

It adds to the gameplay of the players experience, if they know how to make use of it really. But for the tycoon part it doesnt really bring in something new, imo.[/quote]

Yes having individual gear ratios tune-able via an advanced tab, I’ve been thinking the same way for ages. It means more casual players still have the simple one slider and top speed option if they just want to use that just like with the suspension presets but more hardcore players can tune the gearbox more thoroughly again, just like with the suspension. Now I could be taking you out of context here by why do you think it wouldn’t bring anything to the tycoon part? Tuning the gears to get the best possible 0-100 or best possible mileage totally adds to the tycoon part, making your car’s superior performance or mileage to the A.I. consumers vs your A.I. rival companies.

Bringing up an older topic because that the first that comes up doing a search on the forum:

I really like the notion that gearboxes could be, as much as engines, saved as specific items. Like it is in reality.

In any cases, it should be possible to have an option to tinker with gearboxes ratio, as alternative to the automated current spacing.

You are right that it does not add much gameplay wise for someone that does a campaign, and in that case we’ll probably keep the spacing as default.

But another way to play the game is to reproduce, in sandbox, an existing vehicule. And then you can be sure the default automated gearbox spacing is wrong.
For instance, you are sure to be wrong if the vehicule have a 5th or 6th said overdrive shift. I understand Killrob proposal but that is just a workaround.

Check this article

Automation is almost ok in every regards. Except the gearbox that is plain wrong. And that really change something when trying the vehicule in BeamNG.drive.

Granted, irrelevant in campaign mode. But there are other ways to play Automation!

You only need to know the difference in ratio between 1st and top gear. The others work out close enough to be viable.
A car I used to own: 2.39, 1.43, 1.00
In game: 1.80, 1.08 , 0.75.
Out by 0.01 in 2nd.

1 Like

No need to re-invent the wheel. Roughly the same interface as the current suspension interface can be used for gearing.

1 Like