[Finished] CSR 94 - I bless the blizzards down in Antarctica

Modern Pick-Ups are just far too big…

• High fuel consumption
  • Rather cumbersome
  • Too big to fit down some trails

Hence why LLA has kept producing the MightyMan since 1982, a small, reliable pickup designed to skip across terrain reliably and efficiently.

Starting at $8000 with the Premium Model shown above for $16488.

5 Likes

Schwarzburg X-Cross
Sending German quality to Antarctica

Yeah, I’ve noticed too! Hinges and what not. Well, I have to wait for the next challenge then

2019 RCM Prairie CX 4x4 Polar

11 Likes

There is gonna be a lot of reviewing for this guy.

1 Like

ACA EcoFlow HD 4x4 Offroad Special

Go with the flow

15 Likes

Pffft this is nothing for a CSR. Some earlier ones had over 60 entries.

1 Like

The Hawker Nemesis ExP (ExP = Explorer Package)
When real work is needed, people choose the Nemesis.
Featuring a hefty torque biased 4.4L inline 6 with over 300 ft-lbs of torque.
Close ratio 6 speed automatic with low speed transfer case and cabin button activated front and rear mechanical lockers.
Included offroad package with integrated safety lighting and protection bars.
Heavy duty suspension for towing medium duty loads. Over 3000 pounds payload.

6 Likes

2019 Tanaka Biome 3.6 TR

Now better and faster than the usual Biome…

7 Likes

In 2018, CMT released the Gaucho as a Medium Duty truck with heavy duty suspension.
Unlike the real Heav Duty trucks that are tortued on construction sites it features a monocoque and a very modern direct-injected engine but has a simple but very durable offroad suspension to work well under hard conditions.

Although its performing nice offroad, its capable of running decent on normal roads if needed. In case of Emergency, urgently needed goods can be delivered with a top speed of 200 kph although that is not too much fun with the Heavy Duty Suspension.
It fits four strong soldiers and carries them with surprising comfort, with an interior almost comparable to civillian versions, stil being somewhat cheaper with a reasonnable price tag of 23.000$.

CMT Gaucho 2600 MUV - the rough Gentleman

2 Likes

very nice design. Looks brilliant.

Grehet Kono

*Antarctic package shown

when you need to keep going, and going, and going, and still need to do more

fecking finally found a way to make those ‘door steps’ on bigger vehicles. not perfect. but i’m satisfied

7 Likes

Cyanide Motors 2016 Husky (2019 Arctic Custodian version)

Cyanide Motors presents version of the Husky utility vehicle adapted for use in arctic climate. The Arctic Custodian was originally built for use in the region of the Barents Sea, now this 2019 revision is coming south.

• specially modified NA engine built for reliability and efficiency.
  • 6 seats, the back row can be folded to provide additional storage space within the cabin
  • load capacity of over 1500kg
  • towing capacity of over 2600kg
  • a set of working lights front and rear
  • reverse sensors and camera
  • Arctic Utility Package (insulation, heating, 24V conversion)

Available from 26 215$.

3 Likes

Looks like a strong field of competitors

1 Like

ENTRIES CLOSED

OK and now please have patience. It’s gonna take a lot to take me away from you sift through so many entries because I like to go in detail through every one. I’ll probably split the judging in parts and post part 1 soon

17 Likes

Introducing, the 2019 Letto Fuoristrada, Edizione Antartica

4L V8 Twin Turbo that makes 218.2 HP@5300RPM & 344.2 Ft-LB@2300RPM
10L/100km
6 Speed Advanced Automatic
AWD
0-100km/h in 8.7 seconds
$22620@0%

5 Likes

Judging Round 1, Part 1/3

Disclaimer: I'm posting this soon after entries closing not because I'm a super fast reviewing robot, but because I had done many reviews ahead of time, and because I'll be busy tomorrow. Don't expect me to be as fast with the rest!

EDIT: And also because a huge storm came and my Internet connection threatens to die, so, better to have this now in case that happens. Repeat: Don’t expect the next part straight away!

Ushuaia, Argentina
April 2019

Something weird has happened in Ushuaia. An actually competent team of people has been assembled for choosing which vehicle to purchase for the Antarctic bases! Well, 3 of them competent at least. These people will review the car proposals along with some specifications that were requested to the companies that submitted them, and will make a short list with the most promising ones to test in Antarctica.

For judging, they have been sent files and folders from the interested manufacturers with their proposed vehicles. That includes a specifications sheet, which aside of having typical spec sheet items, has other items that were specifically requested: more engine details (including a dynamometer test), data on each gear ratio, an engine idle consumption test, load capacity per axle, etc.

The people doing the judging will be:

• TP Hernán Rossi, from the Army. They’ll want several vehicles, for use in the all-year-round bases in the Antarctic mainland (Esperanza, San Martín, and Belgrano II). He has served in Belgrano II Base, and the Engineers Battalion 14, having experience with offroad vehicles. They’ll mostly use the vehicles for offroading, but also for carrying some loads.

• PT Guillermo Ojeda, from the Airforce. They’ll want one or two vehicles (TBD) for operating in Marambio Base and Airbase all-year-round. He has served in Marambio Base in Antarctica, concerning mostly ground logistics. They’ll be mostly using the vehicles for utility: carrying and towing loads around. Offroading will be little, but the vehicles must be good enough to operate in snow and ice.

• Dr. Elena Luna, from the Instituto Antártico Argentino. They’ll want the vehicles to be good enough for carrying out scientific expeditions, and also for several civilian in-base tasks. Also, she’s the one who’s had the most experience in Antarctica out of these people, having been based 2 years in Esperanza base with her family previously.

• And… Tomás García. No one knows what his supposed position is. Tomás is the nephew of a national senator, and for a long time he was in the payroll in a government position in Ushuaia but only showed up at the end of the month to get a salary for doing nothing. Lately though, there have been efforts to try to find leeches like him, so he has been forced to actually go to work and at least pretend to do something. He’s having trouble adapting to such an alien concept, so he’s been given simple tasks: control the budget for the cars, and being the designated cebamates for the meeting. Can he cope?

Tomás arrived to the meeting room 50 minutes late, carrying a huge stack of papers and folders. The three other people were already waiting with a stern look in their faces. He sat down, placed the folders on the table, and happily started to check the messages on his phone until he was interrupted by Dr. Luna.

“Are you sure you brought them all?”
“Wait, you mean there are more!?”

Luna and Ojeda left the room, and came back soon after other two huge stacks.

“Oh no! Looks like it’s going to be a long day”
“Well so we should start right away then. We are already late and not because of us three.” said Ojeda.
“Yes, and considering the amount of vehicles we have to see… we’ll probably have to get very nitpicky” said Rossi.

Ponni Paiute BE

By @NiuYorqCiti

G: First one, Ponni Paiute BE. $26983. Ooh, large truck.
O: I like it. No fluff, but equipped enough.
R: OK, this is an interesting truck straight away… MacPherson front suspension, and high strength steel chassis. That explains the price.
O: Engine is even more interesting I’d say. 3L I4, large I4 but the shaking shouldn’t be much of a problem in this case.
R: Hmmm, does it lag badly?
O: Er… it doesn’t at all! It’s aspirated. Says it makes peak torque throughout a wide range too. That is good, but I wonder if a 3L NA will be good enough for such a large truck…
R: Eh, given the gearing it could work. Not like we’ll be in much of a hurry.
L: Well it does seem less fancy and interesting with other things. 6 speed manual, manual locker. Nothing we can’t use, but it does seem like not much considering the price. Oh, the interior is pretty good, more than acceptable, seats five.
R: The suspension should be good enough too.
G: They ran the consumption test we asked for, 1.57 L/h. Sounds more than reasonable. The truck does sound expensive, but we don’t really have anything to compare against yet. Maybe we should wait to see more before deciding?

They set the file aside to wait to see other vehicles first. Overall it looked good, but on the expensive side, being not far from maximum budget.

MW Outrunner 3.0 TXi AE

By @F12OM

G: Next, MW Outrunner 3.0. Medium modern-looking truck… $27919!? Er, I hope they don’t keep getting more expensive as we go on. It’d better be very good for this price.
R: Another high-strength steel chassis. That probably explains much of the price, but this time body-on-frame.
L: Inside, it also seats five and the interior is a even better than the previous one. Perhaps not really needed, but well, not going to complain if I have to sit inside. This one also has a manual locker, but comes with a 7 speed auto. No left leg workout for a hill start.
O: Oh, this one has an odd engine too. 3L Inline 6. A small I6 for a truck, weird choice, but this one is turbocharged.
G: Oh, like a Supra engine?
O: I was about to tell you that was a stupid comment, but considering this weird tune… it might as well be some poorly-tuned Supra. It doesn’t lag much, turbo seems to spool at 2200rpm… but it has VVL that switches late, and most of the usable band is in the high end… in fact, part of it beyond the rev limiter,
R: The gearing could be a bit shorter to work with this engine, considering the useable band. Also, the tires seem a bit narrow for the weight, and for the power this engine has.
O: And I’ll add the brakes a tad small. I doubt it’d do very well with a load.
G: Well, something this high in price should be almost flawless to consider.

Rejected. An otherwise solid truck, let down by its odd and badly tuned engine, and small brakes. Expensive.

MEN MXD-S

By @DoctorNarfy

G: MEN MXD-S. Medium truck, elegant even if slightly odd-looking. Oh, this sounds very good. $15851
R: Hmm, could’ve been a bit better equipped, maybe a spotlight or two… Also, this one is made of more normal steels, that explains it being much cheaper. Huh, it doesn’t seem to be a complete ladder chassis
O: Oh, and also leaf springs both front and rear.
R: Oh good, that can be better for heavier offroading. How is it inside?
L: Well, inside it also cuts costs compared to the previous ones, but can still work. This one is more of a double cab than a crew cab, but the rear seat is still good enough for carrying 3 people, or some objects. It has less electric goodies, but at least it has the basic stuff, for maybe charging cameras or phones it’s good enough. Oh, and it has a 6 speed automatic.
G: So it does sound very good for its price, doesn’t it? And only 1.02L/h! We consider it then?
O: Oh no. Speaking of engine, I found a problem. What a shame, the truck itself is very good but the engine is an… 1.6L, 1.7L tiny one. That explains why it sips fuel, but even if turbocharged, it must be pretty high strung for a truck for it to make 179hp…
R: Mhmmm. Turbo spools at 3000 rpm, torque band is pretty much in the later half.
G: So… no? Even if it’s so cheap?
R: No. I don’t see this engine working well for this anytime soon.
G: Fine then…

Rejected. The truck itself was pretty good and had little problems for its price… but the high-strung tiny engine was too bad of a choice for it.

Ichtaca VM19 2.55T1

By @Niveon

G: Ichtaca VM19 2.55T1. Hmm, large truck… $18934. Huh, more than acceptable also considering the price, right?
R: I think the rims might be a bit too large compared to the tires… mmm… 255/65s… eh, it’s not as low profile as it seemed. Still a bit on the low side.
L: Interesting interior… seats 3 on the first row, 3 on the back. But it has a 6-speed manual? Eh? How does an adult in the middle se… oh. It has the shifter and the locker controls to the side of the steering wheel. Odd truck. Good seats and interior, has few basic electronic accessories but should be enough overall, having one more seat could be handy.
O: The engine is interesting too. 2.5L boxer 6, turbocharged. Eh. A weird tune, but it could work? It still has throttle available through a decent range. Turbo spools a tiny bit late but not that much of an issue.
R: Mmm the gearing is a bit longer than I’d like but not too much. Oh I like this, the sway bars can be disengaged for off-roading, together with the two live axles it should perform very well over obstacles.
G: Sounds good then! Good price, $9000 under the limit and sips just 1.15L/h, somehow.
O: Oh I found a very worrying issue. The brakes are not vented. Small solid discs.
R: Hmm yes, and with those tiny rotors… no. If you load it even a bit you’ll end up cooking the brakes after a short while. Waste of an otherwise good truck.

Rejected. Peculiar looking truck, might’ve worked if the brakes weren’t so small and non-vented, would’ve faded a lot when loaded.

Zephorus Beluga

By @Sky-High

G: Next we have the Zephorus Beluga, at $24660. Ooh, very nice looking SUV, I like it.
R: Well I’d be much more inclined to call it a crossover than a SUV. Full monocoque chassis, all around independent suspension… at least it looks like an off-road capable crossover.
O: The engine is a turbocharged 2.8L Inline 6. A lot for a car this size, fits very snugly in the engine bay.
G: Hey at least it looks really nice though! I mean, look at those supercar wheels, I love them!
L: Eh?
R: Supercar wheels? What do you mean?
G: I… I mean… it has those thick rear wheels like supercars do.
R: Oh. OH! Now I see it in the pic, didn’t notice the first time. Why does this have staggered tires?!
O: Front 220s, rear 300s… yeah, not going to work. A lot of stagger. Why?
L: Oh right, want another nail in this one’s coffin? It has a DCT. No torque converter nor clutch for feathering at low speeds.
R: Uh-huh, and too long gearing for this. Well, seems like this one was merely a looker, like all crossovers seem to be.
G: Aw shame I really liked the looks.

Rejected. Those two are a deal-breaker. It had a few other less important issues too but they didn’t get to them.

Honghu Yulin

By @yangx2

G: Next, the Jo… Hon… Well, this thing here. A medium truck. Seems Chinese?
L: Honghu Yulin?
R: What is this crap? What kind of incompetent morons did they have receiving these that they just leave this Chinese propaganda poster for us to throw in the trash?
O: If we wanted chinesium we would’ve bought some already.
G: Er… actually it seems to be an actual, serious proposal for a truck. Here’s another picture:

L: And it doesn’t look like cheap crap either. Actually, it looks very, very nice. Don’t let my husband see this, he’d probably want one.
R: I’m still skeptical, even though it seems they’ve given it more than enough toys for the job. Let’s see the technical specs.
O: Oh, OK. This is unexpected. The engine is… it’s a 4L V8? And er… it also has two turbos on top of that? I’d have thought a 4L aspirated would’ve been enough but, well.
R: The turbo seems to spool a bit late at 2800rpm, and the band a bit narrow for what it is.
O: Yes, but the engine alone without the turbos is already crazy enough that it could work. Around 320Nm at idle, upwards from there, it can work, even if it could’ve been better and not so brute-force. Speaking of idle though, with 4L this thing probably will swallow all our fuel, won’t it?
G: Er… 1.54L/h? What the hell? If they didn’t cheat in the test, that’s pretty good.
R: Oh… no significant complaints in the engine then. Suspensions and chassis nothing weird either… This is too fishy, are they lying in the specs?
L: The interior is acceptable, seats 5, has basic electronic accessories… manual locker… Oh, 6 speed automatic. Good thing we won’t have to be feathering the clutch with this monster engine.
O: It seems it can carry a decent load for our needs and its size. I also feel this sounds fishy, but if we go by all that is written here… Oh, only issue I find is that the rear brakes are smaller than I’d like for a truck and compared to the front, but probably not too much of an issue, they’re vented.
G: Oh, and did I mention it is only $21035?
R: It’s definitely very good for the price, if we can trust these specs. Of course there’s only one way to find out if they’re true…
O: It seems the Chinese have set the bar very high with this fine machine. Yes, I thought I’d never, ever say that exact combination of words.

Looks very nice, and the specs seem very promising, especially considering the price. Minor nitpicks here and there.

G: Hmm, wait we had the Ponni Paiute here too, waiting to see what we would do with it. We’ve now seen a some vehicles for comparison, what do we do?
L: I’d say it’s noticeably better than the ones we rejected.
G: Hmmm it was also expensive but, yes, maybe we should start a pile with the ones we’ll consider?
R: Makes sense. We can always go back over those and reject some later if we end up with too many for the shortlist.
O: I agree, we should start an approved pile with these two.

Both the Ponni Paiute’s and the Honghu Yulin’s folders were placed on the approved pile, for now.

Ampentura Muteki

By @jameseydude

G: Next is the Ampentura Muteki. $27121. Eh? What is THIS?
L: Is this one a joke?
R: Looks like an 80s attempt at a futuristic van, lifted. Did they really send us an 80s movie sci-fi prop?
O: Indeed it is futuristic… it says here it’ll be released in 2020. Yeah, no. We’re looking for cars in 2019. Ha ha very funny.

Rejected. (ಠ_ಠ). I did tell you you had to change the trim year to not be an instabin. Also I doubt the “can be bothered to think” engine is good for this vehicle

GRI Rumbler HDX A

By @Lava_Cake

G: Here is the GRI Rumbler HDX A. Oh, something different at last. Not a pickup, a retro Jeep thingy. A tiny bit smaller than most of what we’ve seen so far, $19058
R: I like what I see. Looks like an very good offroader, good approach and departure angles. Good equipment, those storage compartments on the sides could be useful. Very traditional chassis and suspensions. Nothing modern and fancy but looks like it does what it says on the tin: offroad utility.
O: Yes, about that… I’d prefer a bit more utility. Maybe a tiny bit more space?
R: Maybe you could use a small trailer if you need to haul more things within the airbase? Not like you’d be carrying much if going farther, right?
O: Hmm, I guess we could. Oh, interesting engine. 16 valves 4.8L V8? No big complaints here, except that maybe it consumes too much idling with such a large engine?
G: 2.23L/h. Highest so far.
R: Still that’s much less than I had expected. Would last er… mmm… more or less 36 hours, day and a half, assuming a tank with around 80L.
O: Oh that’s acceptable if the rest is good then. And the price is hard to predict, but how much is gasoline now? Around $1.10/L? Could be lower if the engine was smaller… but given the rest… acceptable. Also, good considering it’s aspirated, good low and mid end torque.
L: The interior also is made to be basic and simple. Perhaps a bit more basic than others, the interior and seats are pretty bare compared to what we’ve seen, but it sits 5 people and has acceptable electronic goodies. Even with that interior, I like this one, because it seems to be very practical for carrying some people and our equipment and supplies around the base or in a expedition.
R: Ah. Bad news. I found a big problem. This one is AWD, which isn’t bad, but it has a manual locker? So, when the differentials are not locked, it has an open differential? Seemed to be very good for the price in other areas but this… it just isn’t going to work.

Rejected. This kind of differential with AWD is a dealbreaker. It’d perform as 3 open differentials in situations in which it can’t be locked, which would just not work. Should’ve had a good enough LSD instead, or 4x4. Plus some small concerns here and there.

Kazume Katsura X4

By @On3CherryShake

G: Ok, next car is the Kazume Katsura X4. Oh, back to the high priced pickups trend: $27801 is a lot. Well, at least it’s a nice-looking one.
O: Yeah, and it could be much better equipped though.
R: And a looker it is indeed. Maybe I’m a bit of a gatekeeper, but I wouldn’t call this much of a truck. No full ladder frame, and all around independent suspension: MacPherson/Multilink.
O: Ah, one of those small “pickups” weird things?
L: Well I guess we can still look at the rest to decide. The Chinamobile turned out to be very good, didn’t it?
O: Right. The engine is an aspirated 3.6L Boxer 6 no complaints here, says it consumes 1.65L/h tops at idle. Hmm well, maybe one complaint, maybe it is a bit too tight in the engine bay, apart from obviously being at the bottom. But if servicing the rest isn’t a pain it might not be much of an issue.
L: Wow, look at this interior. Leather seats, fancy infotainment, even for the rear passengers. Definitely more than we need. Would’ve preferred something much cheaper. This one also has AWD, but with an automatic transmission and an electronic LSD.
O: Alloy rims are also unneeded. Oh and looking at the gears, they are a bit too long.
R: Sorry but no. This is something pricier and fancier than what we need. Leather seats, lacking equipment, multilink, AWD, chassis not as tough or rust-proofed as other options… it all adds up on top of the almost $28000, this thing won’t be as tough and lasting as I’d like, and would start getting pretty expensive to maintain and repair.

Rejected. Overall too fancy of a vehicle for this. A fancy premium pickup isnstead a work/offroading/utility one.

Garuda Carstensz Arctic Mod

By @goblin95

G: This is the Garuda Carstensz Arctic Mod. Ooh, I love how this angry bad boy looks. Oh, and the price is more than decent, $19852
L: Can we reject this one right now for mixing up Arctic and Antarctic?
O: Eh, I think we should see the specs first.
R: Oh I really like what I see. Well equipped for offroading: skidtray, lights, lifted, equipment… No complaints about the chassis, and it has live axles front and rear.
O: And I like what I see under the hood. 2.8L turbocharged inline 5, has good low and mid end after the turbo, and it spools early enough.
L: I have no complaints about the interior. Actually, it’s very nice without being outright excessive. A bit better than most, also a bit more electronic toys. It has a 6-speed automatic transmission too. I take back what I said about rejecting it because of “Arctic”.
R: Really, what are they cheapening out on? We’ve seen things for more than this price that didn’t seem nearly as good on paper. Suspension seems good, the rest seems good too…
O: Well I found no problems or anything concerning so we should definitely go with this one.
L: Yeah, definitely.

Accepted. Nice looking one, and with good details. No complaints to be had, in the rest, seems to perform everything well enough for a decent price, without rising any concerns.

Corsica Yosemite SpeedTrac

By @CorsicaUnknown

G: Corsica Yosemite SpeedTrac, $25685. Hmmm. Going back to the somewhat high prices trend. Hey, at least it’s a good looking one!
O: Looks like they made sure it’s well equipped outside. The engine is a 3L turbo I6, but this one is actually well tuned, has a very wide power band, almost no turbo lag, great. Inside?
L: Very similar to the first ones we saw. Seats 5, pretty good interior, several toys. 6 speed manual and manual locker though, sounds bad for the price.
O: Also fancy suspension. Active dampers and swaybars. Don’t know about maintaining those, that will surely cost more, but they do maybe they’ll help offroad performance more? Lieutenant?
R: Well, er. Maybe. I don’t think those will be a problem. However, the chassis is made of… aluminium?
O: This here, is similar to some aluminium structures used in planes, held in place with a special aeronautical glue in cases. I don’t think that will be a problem.
R: Well, good then. But then another weird thing is: live axle in front… but independent rear suspension? Even if the suspensions has fancy toys, that doesn’t help much here. The multilink rear will restrict travel for offroading and breaking that… will be expensive and a real pain.
O: Oh you’re right, they built this truck backwards. Yeah, it has less rear axle load capacity than I’d like.
L: The rest seemed very good, didn’t it?
G: Well, but considering the price it sounds like a buildup of small issues that is a bit too much.
R: And maintaining the fancy bits would add more to the cost.
L: We can always go back to the rejected ones if we end up with too few, right?

Rejected. In the design department it does well, looks nice and pays attention to detail. But a few of its odd choices makes it not very good for the task (the truck is pointing the other way!). It certainly failed its mission of being average

Haussliech Streo

By @fromaj

G: Here is the Haussliech Streo. Ooh, pretty truck. Ouch, $27857 though
R: Eh, I expected it to be a basic spec considering the plastic bumper but it seems it definitely isn’t.
O: Engine is a turbocharged I4. Hmm, spools at 2300rpm, not a problem. No complaints to be had here. Coupled to appropriate gearing, 6-speed auto.
R: No complaints with the suspension and drivetrain either.
L: It’s definitely not a shitspec inside. 4 leather seats, wood and leather details, onboard entertainment… even for rear passengers… definitely more than we need, the money for this would’ve been better spent in something else.
R: And I found another issue. It comes with no meaningful protection in the underside. I mean, it has complete aerodynamic cladding, but that isn’t going to offer much protection if at all. Hit a rock and you break something.
O: So, considering the price… we should pass this one.

Rejected. Another one that looks very nice, but is more of a premium pickup not really suited for this.

Haapala Bajastorm Street

By @Mikonp7

G: Haapala Bajastorm Street. $22900, looks nice I think.
R: Another Jeep-like SUV I see… Eh? What’s this? High strength steel spaceframe chassis? All around independent suspension?
O: Eh. What?
L: Oh, this explains things. Look at the interior. 2 racing seats only, sequential gearbox?
R: Ha, ha, no. They’ve sent us a rally raid truck. Real funny, this is not Dakar scrutineering.
O: Let’s not waste our time with this, we’re not looking for race cars.

Rejected. They’re not going to be racing in the Dakar. (ಠ_ಠ)

Rudyard Camacho

By @Conan

G: OK here comes an interesting one. Rudyard Camacho, small retro-ish pickup thingy? $26827, ugh.
R: High strength steel chassis explains the price. Ride height and approach and departure angles seem more than fine, but we’ll have to remove those fender flares somehow it seems to get good suspension travel.
O: Sort of reminds me of the Dakar thing we saw. The engine is a powerful inline 5. Mmm turbo spools at 2500rpm, a tiny bit higher than I’d like… but not too bad on its own.
G: Only 1.53L/h though.
R: Oh well at least this one doesn’t have a useless sequential. In fact, it has a 9-speed auto, with closely spaced gears. Eh, I’d like the first one or two a bit shorter for this engine, but maybe it can still work.
L: The interior sits only 3, that’s a bit of a problem. But at least it’s nice without being excessive. Oh there’s a catch though, this truck doesn’t have driving aids like the ones we’ve seen before. Only traction control and ABS. Nothing we can’t handle, but still
O: I feel that little thing here, little thing there starts adding up to not making this really worth the almost $27000, right?
R: I agree. Maybe if it were cheaper we could let some things slide more.

Rejected. Simply not as good for the price as other options. Suffers from several minor issues that end up building up a bit.

Masada Vortex

By @Rezn.TM

G: OK, another large truck. Masada Vortex. Huh, it’s a bit larger than many previous ones yet does not look as menacing. $25232
R: This one is going back to being a proper truck, mostly. Bah, it has a monocoque front section, but well, doesn’t change much in this case.
L: This one has a decently sized interior, more than acceptable for 5 people. No ESC though, and comes with a 6 speed automatic. Oh. It seems to be an old automatic. Not a modern computer-controlled one. Eh…
R: Hmm I think the gears are a bit too long, and these old autos can be awkard for deciding how and when to shift, but maybe if the engine’s good…
O: Mmm yeah I bring bad news with the engine. 2.6-2.7L inline 6, but it just has too late of a spool for the kind of use we want. Turbo spools at 3400rpm and coupled to longish ratios…
R: Yeah, no. Not going to work.

Rejected. Engine too laggy, coupled to an outdated transmission, ESC could’ve been helpful too.

Conqueror Theron CC-RT

By @Fayeding_Spray

G: Next, back to pickups. Uh, back to expensive pickups… Conqueror Theron CC-RT, $26736
O: Oh I like this one. It looks rugged and very well equipped.
R: Well I can confirm that it is rugged. High strength steel chassis, probably explains the high cost. And the second one is clear from the pictures. If the rest is good, this could be a good option.
O: The engine is a turbocharged I5 with a bit of a choking issue, to say the least. Could’ve been much better, turbo spools at 3000rpm on top of that.
G: At least it consumes 1.71L/h. Acceptable by itself, but I’m not liking the price.
R: Well at least the 7 gears are close together, but the engine could’ve been much better, yeah. That lags a decent bit.
L: Oh, the interior is interesting. Two rows of 3 seats, pretty well equipped but maybe we could do with less equipment if that meant it’d cheaper.
O: I find another problem apart from the engine though. The brakes are pretty small for this weight, and worse if we load this.
L: So this one is a no?
R: Yeah. If it were cheaper maybe we could let more slide. Shame, came with very good equipment judging by the photos.

Rejected. Looked very good and had very nice visual details, but understrength brakes. Regarding the engine, bad tune: could spool the turbo much earlier and have a wider useable band, and has a choking fetish with the tiny exhaust.

G: Well I’m exhausted. A lot of cars remain but we’ve also done plenty so far. And… we’re out of hot water.
L: Ok then, let’s take a brake. Maybe we can also get some food for later

19 Likes

Congrats to those who got accepted.

2 Likes

Rejected! Knew it lol. I don’t know much about trucks, but I’m glad they liked the looks at least.

5 Likes