First car for my son

I tell you what happend, i press the 1 instead of 4, your comfort rating is 40.5. I’m glad you noticed, i’ll correct it immediatly

Hmm, you are certainly creating trouble for yourself @F17Francesco. :wink:

Didn’t you say father and son didn’t care about the gearbox? While I guess it isn’t unreasonable that a kid would look at raw engine stats rather than in relation to the car’s weight, it is a bit silly considering the power-to-weight cap (heavier cars rewarded). Finally, what exactly do you mean by ‘length’? Do both father and son prefer long or short, or is it dad prefers short and son prefers long?

1 Like

They are neutral about the manual-automatic dispute but the son thinks sequential gearbox are more sporty than manual and torque converter is for busses. Said that the bonus is very small.
For leght i mean outside lenght, a smaller car is easier to park
Considering performance index is to give a bonus to the car with sportier engine, and is waay cooler to say: “my car have 90hp” compared to “70hp”

2 Likes

How exactly are you making the scores?
Are you multiplying each part with the other parts?

Like this [Pro MeSS] Proportional Mean Scoring System
Votes are the score normalized from 0 to 10 and then rounded

1 Like

Well fuck you too. I got 40mpg while hauling ass and dealing with an autoshitbox :joy:

On another note, lowest top speed :joy: because it’s a 90hp budget SUV

I noticed at least one car blurb here (that was an entry) that had a power weight ratio that was too high. Are you going to publish the p/w ratios for each car?

There are 5 or 6 cars “over” the limit, but the difference is too small and imputable to convertion approximation, so i still admitted it. E.g. I use hp/t, all the cars are under 73.6 hp/t (if i remember correctly).
Many cars submitted in the first instance were over the limit, i rejected it and asked for a less powerful version, is possible the creator posted here an old spec-sheet.
At the end of the competiotion i will post all the relevant datas.

2 Likes

Now it’s time for the final results.

Which is the favourite car for the son?

First place: @HowlerAutomotive Howler scam A6

A mid engine supercar, even if it have only 2 seats this thing is fast and confortable, and not so small inside

Second place: @Dragawn Lucipur

It is small but it’s a dragon on the road

Third place @TheMiltos21 Betta Nicola

Outside is my favourite, inside i prefer some other, still a good car

Witch the father prefer?

First Place @koolkei Cuno

Safety is my first concern, i’m willing to spend more to have my son safe

Second place @VicVictory Ardent Vizaya CSE

Another five star in the crash rating, i want my son alive

Third place @Dorifto_Dorito EDAC Weasel

Cheap, but with safety in mind

No matches, they’ll need to fight and find a compromise

##They choose:

@VicVictory Ardent Vizaya CSE

11 Likes

congrats @VicVictory

although the winner delivery is a little bit anticlimactic :joy:

3 Likes

The complete classification

Thanks to everyone who participated
@VicVictory @HowlerAutomotive @Leedar @AirJordan @MarcoAlla @Dorifto_Dorito @TheMiltos21 @MitsubishiFan @Rk38 @koolkei @TR8R @Dragawn @Awildgermanappears @Leonardo9613 @one85db @HighOctaneLove @Xoury @8bs @oppositelock @NormanVauxhall @TheBobWiley @DeusExMackia @Zabhawkin @RED_E @Mikonp7 @conan @gridghost @JohnWaldock @doncornaldie

Here you can find all the datas and all the classifications
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Bf6bH4lEteZRrHgrZRGWi1JvF9ivo70iowVg6xY1Go4/edit?usp=sharing

FYI here the final weights

Son first inspection x 13%
Father calculations x 36%
Son Test drive x 37%
Father Test drive x 14%

I’m working on the next challenge, stay tuned, but let me rest some day

14 Likes

VPower *

1 Like

For interest’s sake, here’s mine vs the winner (numbers are what percentage addition my score/stat is better, negative means mine is worse)

Son inspection: draw
Dad calculation:

• Price: 3.8%
  • Economy: 19.7%
  • Reliability: -1%
  • Env res: 3.3%
  • Safety: -40% (by grade) -14.7% (by Automation safety score; I imagine both cars have traction and stability control)
  • 6 years costs: 5.4%

Driving test:

• Perf index: -5.3%
  • Gearbox: same
  • Drivability: 26.2%
  • Sportiness: 0.8%
  • Comfort: draw
  • Length (smallest): 21.3%
  • Max speed: -1.6%
  • 0-100: draw
  • Dad: 150%
  • Son: 100%

I’m not intending to be butthurt about losing, but I just want to emphasise the curious result of the scoring method. Despite having a more appropriate car in almost every way measured, often by a significant degree, 3 vs 5 safety is a show stopper? Looking at your internal data, my hidden dad calc score was only 5 to vicVictory’s full 10; safety was extremely heavily weighted? At the very least, the arbitrary introduction of a grade system reduced the precision of the scoring–15% difference became 40%. (It compounds with the other secret requirement that the son needs a lot of space–do you have something against small cars @F17Francesco? :laughing:).

By the way, if my car got the top score in the ‘final classification’ would it have won, or did it have to be in the son or dad’s top three? Is it realistic that the father and son wouldn’t consider ‘compromise cars’ that largely satisfy both of them when coming up with a choice? This resurrects the issue I mentioned early in the thread–you picked the top three extreme dad and son cars for selection.

1 Like

Dad weight
Total cost x5
Safety x3
Env Res x0.5

Yes, if youor car have an higher score than the other you win, not required to be in a top selection of anyone

I’ve used the stars system because i think it’s more realistic, when you buy a car they only publicize this

1 Like

I knew I was fucked when I saw that I accidentally selected the ladder frame. Should have been a monocoque AHS steel. Congrats to @VicVictory

1 Like

I guess I need to build my car like a tank in your future competitions. :upside_down:

They are not all the same but safety is almost always one of the most important paramenter

YAHOO! Doing a little dance here… This is my first win ever!

6 Likes

In the end, @VicVictory claimed a well-deserved by making the best all-rounder - a compromise between the desires of father and son. And considering that it’s a rear-driver, there’s potential for some upmarket trims as well. The CSE will most likely end up being the base trim if any of those end up being built…

So I see fit to congratulate him for his first-ever win!

1 Like

@VicVictory Seriously? First win? You’re finally living up to your name :wink:

Congrats dude :smiley: Thanks also to @F17Francesco for hosting this nice little competition!

5 Likes