First car for my son

Maybe I should just stick with a standard interior for almost $1000 less after markup… Might make my car a bit more competitive overall…

EDIT: I talked myself into switching to a standard interior… with +5 quality for about $1000 less, will update my entry on my original post.

EDIT 2: Running costs dropped almost $400 with the change… ok, this was a very good choice.

2 Likes

It would certainly please the dad!

The rule is “around”: they can spend more, but obviously the father will not be happy.

3 Likes

I second this opinion.

1 Like

The Betta Nicola. A true Betta, less chrome this time though.

Great looks, staggering 5.28L/100km fuel economy, a sporty double wishbone-multilink f-r suspension setup, a 6-speed manual and a great set of 18" alloys make for a fun, sporty everyday car that’s also very economical and non-pollutant (71 emissions). Powered by Betta’s 1.0 12-valve VVT/VVL engine, producing 93.8hp and giving the Nicola a 0-100km/h time of 13.5 seconds.

8 Likes

JHW Retroniq

4 Seats, low power, and all fun

7 Likes

try removing all quality points EVERYWHERE, and see what it costs. it can be VERY costly.
usually quality points beyond +3 is rarely worth it. on most parts.

3 Likes

I had everything at +0, before I changed the interior to Standard wherein I was able to set it to +5 with no cost change to the final price. I even have the body at -15 for over $1000 savings :
O well, my new entry is cheaper and better overall.

1 Like

:scream:

I would not do that. At all. You can easily save money by using cheaper suspension, infotainment etc. But cutting quality on the body is seriously bad for driveability. Just drop the +5 quality on the interior, drop some quality from the engine and put the body quality back to 0. That way, you can have a cheaper, and even better car.

Edit. Looking at your stats, your car can be even better if you didnt have -15 quality on it.

1 Like

My drivability increased by about 2 going from +0 to -15, only bad things it did was drop the avg reliability by about 3 or 4. Worked for me and made the car a lot cheaper.

EDIT: so with +0 on the body my stats are Drivability: 64.8, Sportiness: 28.4, Comfort: 30.1, Prestige: 21.8, Safety: 40.1, Total cost: $18,070, Practicality: 40.4, Utility: 2.5, Offroad: 15.3, Economy: 52.9.

As you can see comparing these against the stats on the car I listed above, the car is actually quite a bit better with a -15 on the body, AND it saves a good amount of cost. The biggest problem is the avg reliability goes from 75.4 to 67.5 which is a pretty big hit. Safety is unaffected :confused:

:confused: interesting… But either way, safety would also suffer i assume.

1 Like

Looks like I have one final revision to make to the car now that I have played with the body quality a bit more and am fine tuning a couple quality sliders to stay under $18,000 (my new goal). I should submit my car before I spend too much more time on this… took me too many hours to setup my nice photoshop layout for the car reveal :\

2 Likes

but if you look at it in another way. although it’s only 1-2 scores here and there. it only “costs” $1000

besides. if we’re building it “realistically”. even if it’s actually good, who’d want to buy a car with the build quality like that of a geo metro?

5 Likes

The Howler Scamp is a tiny trackday special, generally targeted to buyers looking for a fun, affordable second car to take around the twisties now and then. The higher trims are formidable in performance, pushing past 300hp and bringing mid-engine sportscar handling to the corners near you without breaking the bank in upkeep. Select panels of the car, including the roof, have been made from aluminium to keep weight down and the centre of gravity lower, while more easily damaged panels are steel and plastic with easily replaceable protective strips to lower cost of repairs and ensure safety.

The A6 trim has been set up to be approachable for first car buyers. This version has 245mm tires all around, as opposed to staggered widths, to allow them to be rotated and used for longer. The tiny inline 6 engine puts out 90.3hp, though when the first year of driving is over, the restrictor plate in the exhaust is easily removed in the dealership, bringing power up to 95hp without voiding the factory warranty. (This may mean an amendment to the registration is required). The car has ABS, launch control, power steering and ESC. Traction control has been omitted, as there isn’t enough power to make use of it. The suspension of the Scamp A6 is softer and ride higher than the performance trims to provide a good cornering ability without sacrificing comfort and practicality as a daily driver.

This obviously isn’t a very practical car, but as this issue has come up before I should mention cargo capacity. The way the car body is implemented ingame appears to be bugged. The ingame cargo capacity is reported as just 74 litres, but when the cargo box is turned on with the ToggleBounds() command, one can see that it uses up maybe a third of the empty space in the front of the car and completely disregards the massive void behind the engine at the rear. It is quite common for little mid engined cars to have two cargo spaces, so while I can see it may not be easy to implement ingame, it appears the car’s practicality has been ruined (-65,6% to Practicality for cargo space) when there is actually plenty of room to spare.

It seems only fair that the in-game values are used for Dad’s mathematics part, because that is a set number and anything else is speculation. But I’d ask that from a lore/writeup perspective you would consider the car to have some ~400l of cargo capacity between the two boots because that’s what is actually there.

13 Likes

Damn, that’s good! It’s like a modern-day MR2 what a pleasing little racer.

2 Likes

Very smart looking sports car. But you know what I’m going to say…

…I’d love it if it were more powerful, though those higher trims seem to offer that :wink:

2 Likes

I was actually wondering recently whether the game allowed for two cargo spaces, especially for mid-engine cars.

Thanks! The engine bay will happily take a 3 litre V6, so more power is certainly in the lineup :slight_smile:

I haven’t looked at many cargo boxes but I certainly haven’t seen any car have more than one.

2 Likes

Expecially for @HowlerAutomotive but for everyone alse, you are right, partialy, there may be some unused spaces and I will add some for the back (aprox 50cm x 50cm x 100cm = 250l) but in the front some space are utilized for cooling, steering, suspension, HVAC etc… i don’t think there are much more space IRL compared to that calculated from the game. If you take Smart Fortwo or Lotus Elise/Exige or AlfaRomeo 4C, they have zero space in the front. Or if you look at a Tesla Model S i think the proportions are quite right (I had seen a dismanle video of a front trunk of an old model S, but i can’t find right now).

2 Likes

Almost a week in the competion, 15 cars in and i want to reveal some attendees secrets.
You can vote what you want to know.
On sunday i will reveal the top 5 stats max, min and average.[poll type=multiple min=1 max=5]

• Price
  • Displacement
  • Torque
  • Performance Index
  • Drivability
  • Sportiness
  • Comfort
  • Prestige
  • Safety
  • Reliability
  • Economy
  • Max Speed