First car for my son

A trick with power-to-weight limits, especially in the real world, is that they always reference peak power. You can increase performance by increasing average power in general using torquey engines, widening the power band (VVT, DOHC, redline further past peak power, etc.) and increasing the number of gears (although there are diminishing returns with slow shifting transmissions like manuals).

1 Like

you mean like 3 litre 2.1L inline 6 :wink: ?

all the torque you can possibly get for such a low power engine

2 Likes

Indeed. :wink: Unfortunately the game only gives a small comfort bonus for having a lot of low end torque; I reckon there should be some more significant bonus for having good performance operating at low-to-mid RPMs since that is where most drivers operate most of the time.

1 Like

I withheld from you one thing: the son is not a tiny guy; 9 cars out of 29 are too small for him. Results of the first inspection coming veery soon.

8 Likes

oh ye boi.

crossover to the rescue

2 Likes

Today father and son spent a day at the dealerships to see the cars. These are the sonā€™s comments and votes.
Vote 0 = less than 2000l of passenger space ā†’ the son can fit in it

@doncornaldie Cornaldie Automotive Co Ltd Zip RS

Outside is good, not perfect. The fenders are too flared for the wheels. Inside is shitty, the interiors is covered in low quality plastic and the sound system barely works, not even an USB. The engine sound good, specially at high rpm. Performanceā€¦slow like death not even 160km/h). I donā€™t wont this car.

Vote: 1

@vicVictory Ardent Motors Vizcaya CSE

I was not thinking about a sedan for my first car, but this isnā€™t so boring, itā€™s acceptable. The interiors are standard and the infotainment does the bare essentials; I would have preferred 5 seats, but is very spacious. The engine is powerful because the car is quite heavy and sounds good. Fast (190km/h). Donā€™t forget: RWD :wink:

Vote: 5

@8bs Fuentes S-Sx coupĆØ sport

Very good outside, so many details, waitā€¦, look at that, look at the exaust, itā€™s so tiny. Another car with only 4 seats, they are good seats; I think itā€™s the same stereo of the Vizaya, itā€™s soo similar. The engine is powerful but can you hear it? ICANā€™T. And drum brakes on the rear wheelsā€¦So late 2000s.

Vote: 6

@NormanVauxhall Znopresk Zap 1.1 Urbana

Is this the last year model? Why so much black plastic? Itā€™s not ended yet? Even inside? I hope this car is cheap. I donā€™t like it, itā€™s slow and the colorā€¦wowā€¦please not this one.

Vote: 3

@HighOctaneLove Bogliq Kitten Brio

They made this car even in normal size? What? This is the normal size? Itā€™sā€¦.cute (small). Not bad inside, the fifth seat here is impossible even to think about it, the sound system is good enough. The engine is ok, pretty loud, I didnā€™t expect that. It can be.

Vote: 4

@Zabhawkin Zab C117

Another mini car, this one looks similar to a Porcshe, Iā€™m afraid that they make fun of me with this: ā€œyou can buy a Porcsheā€¦stupidā€. Wow, inside this thing is a royal palace. It even have TV screens on the back. The engine is good enough, this car is not that fast. Maybe.

@conan Mitsushita Sebi 900

Ok, if I put the leg hereā€¦hhhmmā€¦ noā€¦If I try like thisā€¦.I canā€™t fit in here. Better skip this one.

Vote: 0

@Mikonp7 EcaMobile Hammer Spur

What is this thing? A catheram? Itā€™s strangeā€¦I can even fit my head inside (only with the roof open). Why they have wasted all this space for the bonnetā€¦ the engine not even occupy half of that. Interiors are essential, nothing fancy. The performances on the papers are not that greatā€¦Too small.

@DeusExMackia Erin Visto Lex Coupe 1.2

Finally a normal car again, i wold have preferred bigger rims but the outside look is good, i like it. Inside is ok, i maybe need to change the stereo with something aftermarket. The engine is ok. Not bad.

@one85db OMG Lfi

A sedan, again, even better than the other, more sporty; Iā€™m a bit afraid for parking. Insideā€¦they forgot something, there are only 2 seats? Where are the others? Performance is good, 180km/h. Shame about the seats.

@Dorifto_Dorito EDAC Weasel

Estetically this is the car i like the most (till now), even the color is perfect. I can not say the same inside, the steroe isnā€™t acceptable, i donā€™t want anything fancy, but at least an USB! Materials are ok. The 0-100 time is longer compared with the average, but still acceptable. Itā€™s RWD (if youknow what that means)

@Awildgermanappears Doberman Duet Marathon
http://i.imgur.com/0nCRkxL.png

A muscle car, at least outside, i donā€™t think this come with a V8. The engine is an I6, i like the sound! But insideā€¦how to ruin a good carā€¦.no lights, no padding, even the mats are missingā€¦Ship.

Vote: 1

@TheMiltos21 Betta Nicola

I like this one, outiside is very tidy and well made. Inside there are 5 standard seats and a cheap stereo. The engine is powerful but the 0-100 time is not the best. Good, i will take in consideration.

Vote: 7

@oppositelock GSI Figurati

Simple, too simple, it looks like they forgot some fixtures. This car is a bit boring: itā€™s ok, i donā€™t have anything to sayā€¦exept for :WHY ONLY 4 SEATS??? Letā€™s look under the bonnet. Mmmmhā€¦They forgot the engine? Oh, here it is! 800cc Itā€™s a joke? It look like they have steal it from a lawn mower. Exept that performance is acceptable. Maybe

Vote: 2

@HowlerAutomotive Howler Scamp A6

Mid engine "super"car. Not the best choice for the city but i like it. 2 problems: visibility and cargo space; it have dual trunk (front and rear) but they are both small and not easy accessible. The engine revs super high and this car is super fast (200km/h). Inside is well made, not super, but good enough.I need to try this.

@Rk38 Maesima Devina

Outside and inside is really good. The engine is ok, only a bit too quiet.

@tr8r FOA City Junior

I remember this one, is the one with an horse in the commercial. Estetically not my favourite but inside, like many others it have 4 good seats. The trunk is a bit on the small side and the 0-100 time below average. So and so.

@TheBobWiley Memento City Sport
http://i.imgur.com/k3QngLD.jpg

Another super small car, even smaller then the other. Who designed the back seats? (DISCLAMER: Black Humor incoming, this joke is not made to hurt anyone, apart he car. I really esteem him, if you donā€™t know who He is, Google it and prepear to be astonished) Alex Zanardi? Better pass away even if this look well build.

@RED_E Wilson Pulse LX
https://s25.postimg.org/z9m0xtfyn/fcchallenge.png

Itā€™s a bumper car, i recognise it. Inside is well made and the engine is ok. Nothing more to say.

@gridghost Scarab Flare

The paint in this one itā€™s opaque, if it had been black it would be even better. Outside is good, inside are missing a bit of tecnological feature. The engine sound good even if there is a turbo. Average performance.

@MitsubishiFan Vpower Hype

dr

This one is the smallest car in production, i donā€™t want it.

@Dragawn Lucipur

Dad, why you still took me to see this cars, iā€™ve said a million time: TOO SMALL!!!

@Leonardo9613 Ikkonagashi 1090 L

Again: Why you donā€™t listen to me? WHY?

@AirJordan Smooth Lynx 1,1

This one is sportier but stll tiny, i donā€™t want a microcar

@koolkei Cuno

This is the proof that if you want you can hear me (to dad). I like this one, big, spacius, RWD, 5 seats, a big engine. Entertainment is still poor but as i said before, i can change with an aftermarket one. Good

Vote: 7

@JohnWaldock JHW Retroniq

ā€¦. No wordsā€¦.againā€¦I thought you understood.

@Leedar Boiyd Sprite Sport

A small city car in a peacefoul shade of blue, good inside, it comes whit all i need as standard. The engine is a bit slack (only 5200rpm) but the car can reach 190 easly.

@MarcoAlla FIART Toro 90S

Not bad, i like very much the front grille, so and so the back. Nothing to say about the interiors apart from: Very well made, the seats are confortable and the stereo sounds very goood. Average engine and performance.

@Xoury Sparrowq MVR mk7
http://i.imgur.com/H8fXeXk.jpg

Enough, i got tired. Screw you guys, iā€™m going home.

Note: this votes are only part of the decision and are based on my taste, interior and entertainment.
If i made some mispelling or grammr horror, iā€™m sorry; English is my second language and i did not have time to check. For other error, let me know.

15 Likes

Not sure if you can disqualify people for something you never mentioned, but eh, your competition I suppose.

2 Likes
  1. This is my challenge and i do what i want :stuck_out_tongue:
    2) I did not disqualifed anyone, iā€™ve only give 0 points, you can still regain positions.
  2. The challenge is deliberatly vague.
  3. I need to skim some competitors, only one can win.
4 Likes
  1. Fair egocentric play.
  2. Giving 0 points is essentially the same as disqualifying, no coming back from that
  3. Fair play, but someone being 190+cm / 6ā€™2+ is rare and would be fairly noteworthy. Iā€™m 6ā€™1 and I fit fine into my Mx5 which has the same wheelbase. Italians are supposed to be small cute fistshakers that bake excellent pizza.
  4. Yes, you do, but coming up with a decisive criterion afterwards is plain ***holery. Thatā€™s what Iā€™m pissed about.
1 Like

How can you know that? If in the next part iā€™ll give 1pt for each km/h of top speed? You will earn 200pts and you will be second. Why donā€™t you wait a bit before shoot inconsistent judgments?
I said enough, for the rest i prefer not to answer.

EDIT Obviusly not every car is the same, but in Automation i canā€™t fisically get on the car, i need to rely on some numbers provided. E.g. Iā€™m 185cm and iā€™m very confortable in a Smart Fortwo but i canā€™t fit properly in a Fiat 500 (bigger outside)

2 Likes

Iā€™m 6ā€™3ā€¦and owned a Miniā€¦an Austin Mini! :open_mouth:

OK so it had extended seat runners and no bugger could sit behind me but I could still get in and drive it. And by ā€œdrive itā€ I mean ā€œslide it around like a go-kartā€! :laughing: I miss that car. :frowning:

Only things I had a problem sitting in was a Triumph Spitfire and an MG GTBā€¦Iā€™m sure there are others but those are the only ones I tried! :smiley:

2 Likes

I think it was a toxic move to add a vague criterion with such high importance afterwards and Iā€™ll leave it at that aswell.

But yeah, thatā€™s true, I went with the assumption that if I fit (in a car with the same wheelbase), the client would, but this isnā€™t always true, I was neglectant on that aspect.

//Dramafest hopefully over

2 Likes

Letā€™s just pretend he has claustrophobia and move on, agree?

7 Likes

Iā€™m 190 cm tall, 6ā€™3, and I fitted perfectly into my mk2 ph2 Clio, but didnā€™t fit in the latin-america exclusive phase 3 because they decided to jack up the seat by 20 mm. And that is a 3.8m long car with proper height.

The only issue I have with this method of judgement is asking for a small car but bashing on them for filling the premise, but whatever.

4 Likes

yeah, i echo the sentiments here. you say build a first car. so, thats a small, frugal car. but, to go and drop ā€œoh, if you make a car TOO small, well tough toenailsā€ is like making a classic American Muscle Challenge and withholding the fact that V8ā€™s an RWD are banned tech until judgement.

itā€™s a pretty poor showing.

2 Likes

oh come oonnn it was more than hinted it should be a small car, nothing about passenger space, practicality, utilityā€¦and Italians are know to have smaller things that suit shorter peopleā€¦ shame shameā€¦

5 Likes

As i said before: THIS IS NOT THE FINAL JUDGEMENT, it is only a (small) part of it. The son donā€™t like cars too small, but looks like you canā€™t wait to see what happen next. Just relax people. I havenā€™t disqualified anyone. Small cars have their advantages, this time He only evaluated inside and outside look, where small cars are disadvantaged.

A small spoiler: The dad will not like @koolkei SUV because itā€™s too bigā€¦

1 Like

OK okā€¦Iā€™ll drop that, itā€™s you challenge but

I havenā€™t seen any of that at my car. He just evaluated itā€™s size. :grimacing:

Iā€™ll stop being a pain in the ass nowā€¦probably.

1 Like

Now thatā€™s abit unusual isnā€™t it? Usually itā€™s the parents that like a bigger more practical vehicle. Ot the other way around

1 Like

As a parent, I would have to disagree SOMEWHAT (but not completely0. At least here in the US, insurance costs are a big consideration. If I had a choice between a 3800-powered V6 Lesabre (full-size car) and a 4-cylinder Skylark (compact-mid size), iā€™d pick the Skylark because the insurance cost on a teen driver is about 2/3rds the cost. Theyā€™re both practical enough and safe enough.

On the flip side, take 2 cars with the same engine and size categoryā€¦ if one is a coupe and one is a sedan, Iā€™d pick the sedan for the same reason; for some reason, having 2 doors automatically jacks up a teenagerā€™s rates.

Same with a turbo, even if itā€™s only for economy purposes.

Also, @F17Francescoā€¦ Two minor details about my car. Iā€™m not sure where it got introduced, but thereā€™s a misspelling in your review of it. ā€œVIZCAYAā€ (as in the region of Spain) is the correct spelling. Also, itā€™s a coupe, not a sedan. :stuck_out_tongue: Though that may also be a matter of definition between the US and Europe.

4 Likes