FITE ME Part 3: Modern Hypercar (postponed due to UE4 changes. RERUN PENDING)

If people are having trouble and feel they need help feel free to ask other community members. I’ll allow teaming up.

Also hopefully the beta vs stable thing will he settled by the time we come around to starting.

1 Like

Do you define a MR/RR as the only layout acceptable for a Hypercar, or do you feel an adequately setup FR can qualify for Hypercar status?

You are very welcome to try an FR hypercar. I have tried before and succeeded to a degree but it is very difficult.

I’m definitely keen to throw my hat in the ring, but I’m probably going to need to partner with someone in the looks department. Super-Modern design is definitely not my strong suit :S

:thinking:

I’m just horsing around with lots of conceptual ideas on my end, how do you feel about exceptionally high displacement hypercars?

Let’s hope this is more up to your standards:

I have a couple myself. They’re a real bitch to tune properly. Keep in mind that your car will be compromised on the technical track and for regular road use… and also for the track in general but if it has something amazing going for it otherwise then give it a try.

Very important note: when tuning suspension for hypercars remember that the more power you have the stiffer your springs and suspension need to be independent of your expected ride quality and handling

This is because you don’t want too much discrepancy in lateral forces when stamping on the gas otherwise the handling becomes just plain unpredictable. So you want that line right up there on the sporty line. Just think that the drivability line is for driving in normal conditions.

Okay I’m going to be brutally honest here. I don’t intend to be rude, but I don’t want to understate myself and mislead people.

I’m aiming to fix the problems we had with the rally-pack where very few of the entries were really “up to actual Beam export public release standard”. This means that design in Automation (fixture placement) kind of has to transcend “putting fixtures on the car”, especially for 10s hypercar design, it kind of means you have to really put together a sophisticated package deal where all the fixtures are seamelssly integrated to the point you don’t even realise they’re discrete fixtures for the most part.

In simpler terms, between your previous image and this one, if 100 points is “up to my standards”, and the first one scored maybe 9 points, this one scores maybe 14 points.

The styling is a difficult hurdle. If you want to see how people design these things I encourage you to spend the next fortnight browsing other threads looking for ideas and seeing which ones work or not. You can approach others for tips. Do some homework. Get some research done. I’m all for inclusion, but this time around I’m not going to lower the hurdle for the sake of holding a 4th grade primary school graduation ceremony. This is the time to really step up.

I’m also aware that hardware can be a real problem for some. But I feel the need to point out that I designed almost the entirety of this thing on a dual core i5 with no GPU and a touchpad (so basically 1 frame every 3 seconds at 960x480 after about 100 fixtures), so where there is a will there is a way.

20 Likes

Are we going to have to hide wings in front to get around the “beam doesn’t count lips” aero issue?

yes. I’ll help you balance that (if your car makes it to the Beam round). So don’t worry about it yet and just do as you would for Automation first.

3 Likes

I know I have been away from the game for a bit, but I didn’t see anything allowing me to drop a hybrid or electric into my cars anyways.

I have a start on one, but I am thinking of putting it on stilts with tall tires… aka a 200mph dirt runner.

Cosmetics… ugh the part I suck at the most :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Just so you know if anyone submits a Cybertruck to this round they’re getting insta :wastebasket: unless they manage something I completely don’t expect!

7 Likes

I wonder if someone would be able to help me with getting the body… just kidding.

I am using a proper hypercar body at this point unless I decide to go off the deep end and try something ridiculous. Which means that ground clearance is going to be difficult.

There’s already a cyberbody in the steam workshop…

Gonna give this an attempt with a lighter track style thing.

Not sure if I’m doing something seriously wrong, but I’m finding it hard to get any form of comfort or usability while having a normal amount of downforce (500KG). -175% to comfort on suspension tuning alone.

Is this just to be expected, or am I doing my usual trash car setups?

EDIT: It’s the latter. As it turns out active suspension is kinda needed. Shame, that’s 20KG…

Nah if you’re going all our racing screw comfort. One of my cars has comfort 0 mainly due to having 2150hp going to the rear wheels only and therefore needing the stiffest possible springs and racing sway bars on the rear lol.

P.s. bottoming out issue is less of a problem if you use progressive over standard springs. May irritate some people who don’t want to lose sportiness though

1 Like

Last of my silly questions, these are Hypercars, so V16s allowed?

100% allowed. Any engine is fine as long as the car is fast enough. It can be a 4 pot for all I care!

2 Likes

:LENNYTHINK:

1 Like

Note that I didn’t say 3 pot, but if you do make a 3 pot work, I’m not gonna stop you. Might be a bit hard though.

5 Likes