Ford SVT Contour (Mondeo ST200)

Thanks for that @martin324 reminded me I had stuff to share, there was the Meet in Oregon I went to. 2,200 Mile round trip, a total of 19 SVT Contours from CA, Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada, Oregon, and Washington showed up. We had an Auto Cross on day 1, and a general meet on day 2. It was a blast.

Three of us carpooled on our way back from Portland, all the way to Redding CA, where we each went our own way.

The guy who drove from New Mexico had a legit log of his travel and made a great blog about it. Check it out.
https://pawelasgarage.com/2019/08/05/2019-pnw-contour-group-annual-meet/?fbclid=IwAR2MSWtDqz1eIVmB-lnz-AXXT6JipKx0atNrvylrpWV4g-RfPIl7HrcccMI

This is a ride-along for the most modified CSVT in the group.

9 Likes

Little fun tidbit. Today I called Ford Performance (SVT/ST) My Silver car is build #2019 of 2760 Built Apr 23rd 1999, while the black one I parted out is #1017/2760 Built Jan 27th 1999.

6 Likes

It’s tedious work, but it’s gotta be done!

2 Likes

Doing the same thing to the upper intake manifold is even more annoying.

7 Likes

The 'rice’ing has begone.

11 Likes

Stoptech? They come with pads too?

Using Powerstop Z16’s front and back for this setup, I’m still on a budget.

2 Likes

While nothing fancy, I am also switching to Focus SVT front calipers, instead of using the adaptor brackets I had used in the past for the larger 300mm rotors. This should increase my pad to rotor contact area by ~16%.

7 Likes

my 2000 SVT plenum (double extruded vs the '98/'99 single extruded) cleaning it up to a re-paint, will be Red-oxide to go with the wheels.

6 Likes

A more indepth view of what the Split-Port is for those who wondered.

A split port intake is when air is channeled to different parts of the plenum, and ultimately the cylinder head. spit port induction is not that common, but it was exactly what made the power delivery for this 2.5 as impressive as it was for its time. Each inlet valve has it’s very own dedicated intake track which starts at the plenum which we will refer to as the UIM (See photo from previous post) The long runners are slightly smaller on the inside than the short runners are. At low engine speed the air traveling through these ports have a longer distance to travel, which results in a higher air velocity. The higher velocity air helps better atomize the fuel being sprayed into it’s path, and the end result is a nice even distribution in the cylinder to be compressed.

To insure that the long runners are used under low load and low engine speed a secondary set of throttle bodies are installed in the lower half of the plenum which we will now refer to as the LIM. Once sufficient load is placed on the engine or sufficient RPMs have been reached, the secondary set of throttle plates will be opened to allow for air to be pulled in from the shorter length and larger diameter short runners. At this point the ECU increases the duty cycle of the fuel injectors to compensate for the extra air flowing into the head from both inlet valves now,

One of the fun things about this DOHC engine, is that it is not a Direct acting cam, instead this engine has the cams perched well above the valves, and a set of hydraulic lifters have a roller follower rocker connecting the cams to the valves. This results in a zero lash engine which under normal operating usage will never need to have a valve adjustment, or bucket replacement/adjustment.

Over the course of the next few months I will be setting up for port matching all 24 intake ports, and all 6 exhaust ports, as well as removing cast flashing.

11 Likes

Still doing initial pass cleaning on many, many parts. These valves will come out, I think I’m going to need a few exhaust valves based on the initial clean pass, but since this is till a budget oriented build. I will see if I can save the valves once they are out.

1 Like

At this point, I’m sitting at about 3 1/2 hours real time cleaning these combustion chambers, exhaust valves have exceptionally hard caked on deposits, I will have to clean them after removal.

6 Likes

Soon. The difference between Duratec 2.5, and Mazda AJ-30.

5 Likes

How to upset European ST200 owners. Remove side skirts to show rotted out sills… Oh wait. That’s not a problem in my section of the Colonies!

3 Likes

The rear sway bar link design on the Freedom Mondeo was never intended to deal with the kind of driving I put it through. So, I’ve “upgraded” it to sway bar links off a Nissan 240SX, which are about the same size, but have ball joints!

9 Likes

So is that split port intake basically the same thing as T-VIS on the 4A-GE?

I’ve finally recovered my garage, the Donor car is gone.

9 Likes

Something #Awful happened.

This car is was named #Awful by the previous owner.

6 Likes

Awful has lots of things wrong with it, which is why I was given it. It will need an entire engine bay harness, every suspension bushing is bad, the wheel bearings are bad, strut mounts are bad, engine mounts are bad, it is just a mess.
But the engine is still strong, and the transmission was out of my donor car that I helped him install 2 months ago, before the owner gave up on it.

2 Likes

Sorry for not responding sooner. Yes the system is very similar. Though they do not follow up with a full split port at the cylinder head.

The two systems serve the same function.

4A-GE pictured:

Once you get to the cylinder head, while there is a divider plate, the injector is mounted in the middle of the port, and the air enters from the plenum to the larger chamber of the intake, and the air loses velocity as it is pulled into the cylinder. It is a good stop gap to give some extra low end power, but not as effective as the system Porsche used for the Duratec.

6 Likes