Forum really spotty

Mb/s

Don’t ask me mate. Holland seems to be full of dieselgate-scammy ISPs. When I’m downloading something, I rarely get over 5mbps, it’s an occasion if I crack 10, but in speedtests it always gets 40. :unamused:

try to use vpn??

The last time I had this much loading, I was playing Sonic '06.

The forum is working fine for me now, I could even upload my new car.

It’s still not stable for me. In the morning it was working quite fast, all of a sudden now I’m getting loading times longer than… yeah, it’s long.

This should work as a work around for the time being:

http://discourse.automationgame.com:8000/

Basically, discourse forums runs it’s own web server. Our server also runs apache2 for running the front page and the old forums. I then use apache’s ProxyPass to pass all :80 web traffic to discourse’s :8000 transparently. This appears to be where the hold up is. A bit of googling does bring up lots of people have issues with this configuration in general (not just discourse, but this transparent passing connections through, and a many second delay on initial connection). And lots of people have issues nailing it down.

So for the time being, put :8000 after the .com and it should be nice and speedy.

5 Likes

@zeussy :confused: that made it inaccessible for me. All other ports other than 80 are rejected as either unsafe, or in the case of port 8000, taking too long to respond.

EDIT: TIL that the Automation game website was hosted in Canada. Hmm :smile:

Weird, it’s working for me and the forum is pretty snappy

Very strange, what setup do you have that rejects port 8000?

I don’t know anything about this stuff, but I did a TCP Port Scan that showed only port 80 and 8000 were open and usable, after clicking on your click to that 8000 port, I just get a message that tells me it’s taking too long to respond. I am at school, maybe the admins here have set something up… that doesn’t seem like it to me, if you put up a ProxyPass to 8000 anyway the dress and port should not be new to the network.

I know my internet is working, my AV has never blocked any website like this. I’m also not using a proxy server (as far as I know)

I went to school now and am able to confirm that my school blocks connections on port 8000, the regular site still works tho

I came home and the 8000 port does work snappy and fine

Port 8000 works much faster for me now; like the site used to work before about a week or so ago.

@ramthecowy, @cpufreak101 Does http://portquiz.net:8080/ work for you at school. Port 8080 is a common secondary port used. But it is used by proxies so maybe blocked. Just trying to find the best temporary work around.

1 Like

@zeussy No, strangely enough that doesn’t work either. You know what’s really really weird? Certain ports are blocked but - I kid you not - NSFW websites (you know) are fully accessible. Port 80 does work, sometimes, the website itself is just slow, but I can live with it. At home the snappy port 8000 works. So don’t worry about me, I’ll live with it.
Also I heard you fixed the CPU load bug, big :heart: for that! :smile:

3 Likes

Also doesn’t work here. Though like Ram said it’s 100% ok at home, only at school

@zeussy
Port 8000 no longer works for me; it gives me a time out. It was working fine yesterday. Anything change?

1 Like

Ah, I see. Thank you for the quick reply. :slight_smile: