GAC (Grand Automotive Challenge) #1 - Teenage Dream

GAC General Details

GAC (or the Grand Automotive Challenge) is going to be a future series of challenges here on the forums. This is going to happen in a very CSR-like style, but with many of my own personal twists and extra challenges put in. Rankings and reviews for the cars are now not just going to be done through Automation’s in-game statistics, and not just through rudimentary testing on Beam.NG, but through a series of carefully tested courses, maps and areas on Beam.NG to truly prove the challenge vehicles. One of the other main differences between this and the style of how CSR is currently done will be by having myself, in addition to some other moderators (soon to be chosen, PM me if you want to be considered for the position) to work with the winner of each challenge to ensure that the topics chosen aren’t the same old stuff each time, and to add and factor in any new updates, ideas, or problems. That being said, the general rules are as follows:

1. Only one vehicle may be submitted per person
  2. Please no spam or anything unnecessary/inappropriate in this topic board or any future ones
  3. Vehicles must follow the requirements laid out by the challenge. Some leeway will be allowed, but this is at the moderators discretion
  4. All submissions must be PMed to myself (jvs1rox) or any other moderator specified as running the challenge (if no moderator is specified just PM them to me)
  5. An advertisement poster is also required as a part of your “submission” for your car. Make it as specific as you’d like, but a lot of extra points go to the detail and design of your advertisement posters and can seriously sway our decision in whether or not your car has a chance at winning. Keep time period in mind when designing these.
  6. There will be a preliminary and secondary round to the challenge. Depending on the volume of entries, there may be 2 separate posts for the preliminary rounds, as it may take us a while to process a large number of these entries.
  7. When making your car, to make it easier for us (the mods) please have your car’s model name as GAC__(whatever number GAC it is) - _____ (your username). If you do not do this, your submission may be lost in our system and will likely not be considered for awards or any reviews. Brand and Model names can go in the trim section. The same goes for engine naming. (e.g. GAC1 - jvs1rox)
  8. Please enjoy our challenges, and may the best engineer win!

GAC #1 - Teenage Dream

2019 - Battle Creek, Michigan, United States

15 year-old James has long been a car guy. In fact, some even say that his first word was “car”. With James just having recieved his learner’s permit in the last few months, and having been stellar driving his mom’s Mercedes-Benz CLA250 at his driver’s ed classes, James’ parents have decided that it is time to make his first automotive purchase.

James wants something purely sporty; a “chick-grabber” if you will, yet something that can still somewhat drive in Michigan’s harsh, cold, and snowy winter weather. James’ parents have somewhat different ideas. His dad can respect the thought of his son having a sporty car, having been James’ age at one point in his life, however, safety remains paramount in his opinion, and wants his son driving in something safe enough to protect him when he “drives the thing through our neighbors’ fence.” He also wants something relatively economical on fuel, as the majority of the fuel bills for this will be coming out of his pocket. James’ mother takes things even farther. Basically, she wants her son to basically be driving around in an impenetrable metal box. She doesn’t want anything too fast, doesn’t want anything even a hint unsafe, doesn’t want anything bad on fuel, and doesn’t want anything that has even the slightest chance of requiring her to pay bail at the local police station at 2AM.

Over the next little while, they will go car shopping as a family to narrow down their options and select the best car for James. Let’s see what y’all come up with.

Restrictions and Requirements:

• Model Year must be 2019 or older
  • Trim year must be 2019
  • 95 RON or lower unleaded fuel only
  • Catalytic Converters are mandatory
  • Minimum 60 safety
  • Budget of $26,750 @ 0% markup
  • No limited production or race parts
  • Minimum of 2 seats
  • Minimum of 24MPG (US)
  • 0-60 mph (or 0-100 km/h) time may not be longer than 8.0 seconds or shorter than 4.7 seconds
  • Maximum engine ET of 50
  • Maximum car ET of 50

Entry Deadline and Info

Entry Deadline is Tuesday, February 26, 2019 @ 6:00PM (18:00 for you Europeans) EST (GMT -5)
Submissions Open as of Monday, February 18, 2019 @ 6:00PM (18:00) EST (GMT -5)

Submission Closing and Opening Times are subject to change should there be any major problems regarding the rules that have not been solved by then, or should there be anything else deemed fit by a moderator to postpone these. Regulations are also subject to change should anything major come up, however this is unlikely.

As always, and as has been listed in the GAC rules and general info above, only one submission is allowed per person. We ask that you follow the requirements quite strictly with this challenge. You may be disqualified if you choose not to follow the rules. When submitting, send the .car file in a PM to jvs1rox. An example vehicle name is below, and we ask that you keep all vehicle names like this to make it easier for us to review them.

Example Vehicle Name:
Model Name: GAC1 - jvs1rox
Trim Name: Ijekour Ciel XRS

Should you have any questions, comments, concerns, feedback, etc. please send me a PM. Also, we have a few positions open as moderators, and if you would like to be considered, please send me (jvs1rox) a PM. We look forward to seeing your submissions. As always, may the best engineer win!

2 Likes

Open Beta branch, or Stable?

I was wondering the same.

It would be pretty hard to do it in open beta. 50 is a pretty low number for the required rules.

I’m on stable rn. If enough ppl want open beta I’ll switch

I would prefer the open beta

I would prefer the open beta as well.

If 5-ish people support the open beta then I’ll re-analyze my decision. That being said, myself and all the current mods are running the stable version rn, and we’d have to spend a bit changing around the rules and regulations. We’re completely fine to do that as long as we have a clear majority in favor of switching. That being said, feel free to try and make some vehicles in the open beta; I’m away from my PC right now, but when I get back early tomorrow morning I’ll be happy to reanalyze this anyways.

Stable

Stable, and I’d remove minimum 0-60 and maximum as required and replace with sportiness

Almost all the other challenges currently on right now use the open beta.

Exactly, this challenge is meant to differ, and about 70% of the people I know who play are running stable. I’ll be happy to make a backup challenge that’s on the openbeta if enough people want it

ehhh is good i gotchu with that price

The Open Beta branch is expected to enter the Stable Branch within the next week or 2 anyway, so you might as well just use the open Beta so things don’t sharply fuck up once the change comes

Deadline for this challenge is in a week so the timing works out perfectly I guess then lmao

Well, the intended day for the Transition according to the devs is going to be Monday next week, so it might mess up everything

Well, I’ll be happy to reanalyze on Monday assuming their plan goes through. I have already received a number of submissions in stable format, and it is therefore unfair for me to ask those users to redo their designs. We will be using stable format for now. GAC#2 will be in the new format.

I’ve also changed the final submission date to Monday night, and I’ll post a new challenge first thing Tuesday morning with the updated version.

I’m for open beta

the japanese audi is ready, I like this challenge