Game at Launch, What is in? What is Out? - Updated 08/2014

i think the best combination of forced induction is a belt driven supercharger for low rpm because they stop making useful boost at a certain rpm and a big turbo for high rpm because even though the turbo will have to spool up the supercharger is making boost until the turbo can take over … http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twin_charging

They are cool and can give great results but they are SUPER complicated…

variable geometry turbos, problem solved. :mrgreen: Now if only they didn’t melt with normal gas engines…

As the owner of a variable geometry turbo (sort of) on a petrol engine I can say, they work fine. :wink:

Porsche is also using them and I can’t remember hearing about turbos melting even in that small engine compartment.

I’d love to make a small displacement twin charged car like the Nissan March Superturbo. Also superturbo is just awesome to say.

[quote=“T16”]As the owner of a variable geometry turbo (sort of) on a petrol engine I can say, they work fine. :wink:

Porsche is also using them and I can’t remember hearing about turbos melting even in that small engine compartment.[/quote]

Is there another reason they’re not in gas engines? I thought they were only in diesel engines because they couldn’t cope with the exhaust temps of normal gas. And yes porsche has figured it out (I think). But I don’t own a porsche, much less a porsche with one, so it doesn’t count :mrgreen:

The BorgWarner Turbos that Porsche use is probably not cost effective for cheaper cars and the ones made for diesel engine will not cope with the heat.

The Garrett VAT system in my Peugeot have been made obsolete by modern Turbo aerodynamic and turbos with ball bearings, but in 1993 it was pretty good. It also a much simpler system than the newer VGTs which it’s probably why it doesn’t melt.

VAT25 as used in the 405 T16
pic.phyrefile.com/e/ev/evardsen/2011/09/23/VAT25.jpg
pic.phyrefile.com/e/ev/evardsen/2011/09/23/VAT25_001.jpg

BorgWarner VGT as used in 997 Turbo
pic.phyrefile.com/e/ev/evardsen/2011/09/23/Porsche_VGT_II.jpg

Didn’t VAG’s 1.4 TSI have something like that? I seem to remember that engine got a lot of praise in the Golf GT.

Yes as did the Nissan Micra SuperTurbo and the Lancia Delta S4.

Oh, another question for the developers. Porsche are fitting the next gen 911 with a 7-speed manual, and I just heard words the Corvette C7 will get one too. Any chance of seeing 7-speeds as an option?

Yes, 7 speed manuals are already in the game.

Ha, T16 you beat me to it! :laughing:

Okay, thanks for the reply.

Not sure where it’s best to ask this and I don’t want to create a thread for it, but is there an option to build concept cars? Perhaps to show off your technology to other manufacturers and show off to your potential buyers?

Car shows is something that has been talked about. Very up in the air if it will be in or not. You don’t really want to show off to other manufacturers but to customers would absolutly be useful as your reputation is (planned) to be a factor in their buying choice. :slight_smile:

Ok, cool.
By showing off to other manufacturers I meant maybe spark their interest in your technology so they might want to use it or buy it off you.

Will we have a design similar to the 1960s - 1980s Mini Cooper?

Most likely since its one off the big people-cars, but it all depend on what you find similar…

Looking really awesome so far :slight_smile:

Reading this just makes me so excited. :slight_smile: I can not wait, but I am. :slight_smile: