Generations II: The Full Line Challenge [LORE][FINAL SCORES]

Won’t deny that I hated making crossovers. Lol I just couldn’t find the right balance as per competition requirements.

BTW @VicVictory any tips on how to improve engine designs?

2 Likes

Well, I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed that 11 months, I learnt a lot about old US cars and then promptly forgot how to make modern ones, hahaha!!!

My primary mission was to defeat Ardent and I’d say that I was successful overall; 5.64 points ahead is a nice lead, hahaha. But it sure didn’t feel it at the end with consistently poor results from the 80’s onwards.

Congratulations to @patridam for producing cars that were period correct first, then competitive second. You stuck to your guns and it paid off handsomely. A well deserved first place and I found it entertaining to try and guess what car inspired each entry.

@abg7, you were surprisingly strong scoring and consistantly top tier; I freely admit that I underestimated you, to my peril, I’ll keep a closer watch next time, hahaha!!!

@FitRS, your King was an amazingly strong design philosophy, I hope to see it appear in CSR’s and other luxury based competitions in the future. Congratulations on third place!

@thecarlover, I loved how well your cars were designed and that you maintained a strong family resemblence. I’ll definitely be taking notes so I can improve my car company cohesiveness moving forward.

@lddrs, I liked how you made realistic cars, like Patridam, but went your own way (7L Boxer six, hahaha), while maintaining a cohesive look like Thecarlover. Rocha is definitely another brand to watch out for going forward.

@Mikonp7, I don’t care that Deer & Hunt scored poorly, your brand is iconic and I always found your entries entertaining to look at and read about!

@interior, you’ve come a long way baby, lay off the sliders, use RL cars for engine capacity and power benchmarks then you’ll be no.1 in competitions in no time!

Last, but not least, thankyou @VicVictory for being a capable, entertaining and patient host for nealy all of 2020; You’ve officially earnt your Hero of the Baldovan Republic medal, hahahaha!!!

5 Likes

Thank you man. I was actually worried about you overtaking me on that last round as I knew crossover designs weren’t my forte. The competition between Hampton, Katsuro and Boliq was intense.

2 Likes

i may or may not have accidentally made a recipe for winning 2007 sports segment round on Generations 2, didnt know they would describe those bicycle tires

Spot on! Considering that I didn’t enter the first Generations tournament, I must also admit that my strong performances here caught many of the other entrants off guard… Repeatedly. I also found this piece of advice to be incredibly useful:

Over the course of this tournament, I found that this is especially true for higher-end parts and materials (such as alloy panels, as well as premium and luxury interiors and sound systems) and more advanced technologies (such as hydropneumatic/air/active suspension and electronic LSDs). So I chose to use quality sliders sparingly, especially on lower-end cars aimed at segments where buyers’ budgets are tight.

Anyway, the end of this tournament does not necessarily mean the end of the Hampton Motor Group - I have at least a few more 2013 models in the pipeline.

3 Likes

Unfortunately with the loss of all of my data after round 11, I can’t go back and look at anything prior. Your truck engine this round was good. Your Mid-Crossover was a little underpowered, maybe adding another 100-200cc of displacement would have helped. Your small crossover was grossly underpowered, somewhere in the 30-50 hp range. Also, buyers in the game (and also Muricans in general) absolutely hate 3 cylinders. So perhaps adding a 4th cylinder and 200cc of displacement would have made it much more palatable. My small crossover used a 2.0 liter aluminum (not AlSi) DOHC 4v DI turbo with about 150 hp that ran on 91 RON. RCM used a 2.5L 4-banger.

Thanks all for the compliments, and for spreading the love to each other.

4 Likes

Thanks for the feedback. I’m not all too familiar with American preferences. We mainly use Japanese cars where I’m from. That said, there’s a reason why only select Japanese models are sold in the US, and why some fail. Makes sense.

3 Likes

Well, thank you everyone for participating and especially @VicVictory, for hosting (plus making pretty good cars unto yourself) such a wonderful - and incredibly long - challenge. I know at least my styling ability really started to wane starting in the 90s, but I didn’t know I had it in me to engineer modern cars to not be terrible - my scattershot optimization stat methods became harder and harder the more engineering choices became available. I hope I didn’t dull any sense of competition, I was generally just trying my best because I thought my modern cars would really suck.

@FitRS great job with the KIng especially. Consistency through the ages really won the day for luxury cars.

@abg7 congrats to you on the sports win - I never could get ahold of the sport compact class, haha

@HighOctaneLove You did good all around with Bogliq - and especially know how to make a good small car - and I’m glad you learned a bit. Plus, if I may say so, I consider you a friend at this point.

Anyway… I hope you guys don’t expect me to host Generations III… I don’t think I have the fortitude for that.

5 Likes

Thankyou.

I consider you a friend as well, not to mention really brave, since making Youtube video’s is outside my skillset, hahaha!!!

On the rare ocassion you want a second opinion, help making a choice or even a spot of synchopathic praise for a WIP, hahaha, just PM me and I’ll do my best!

3 Likes

Thank you sir! I appreciate that coming from a car designing legend! :raised_hands:

2 Likes

I consider my victory in that category to be well-deserved. Then again, I was expecting to do well there given my expertise in engineering performance and sports cars. That said, it wasn’t without its wobbles; my sport compact entry for round 8 (1991) was basically a compact without the “sport” part, although surprisingly, its other stats were good enough for it to take fourth in class during that round.

In fairness, this is because lore-wise, although the Fennec III first came out in 1991, the high-performance Sprint trim did not debut until 1992. Even so, it was my worst result in the performance category and the only time I did not finish in the top three, whereas all of my other performance (including muscle and sport compact) car trims finished either first or second in class. In fact, my overall victory in the performance car segments helped propel my company to second place overall across all segments.

I’m not sure that I could host Generations III either, given that it’s a massive commitment for anyone to host. Even so, it’s obvious that, despite dragging on for so long, this was a huge improvement on the original Generations tournament, which was already known as one of the best recurring challenges ever to be held on these forums - and that’s saying something.

2 Likes