Generations II: The Full Line Challenge [LORE][FINAL SCORES]

Please read the vehicle regulations carefully! The 70’s were a time of many changes both to exterior requirements as well as under the hood.

3 Likes

@VicVictory when did each of these changes happen?

I ask because I would be conducting a facelift on my cars in 1974, then in 1976, and I’d like to introduce these required changes in the correct marketing year (I’ll restructure my facelifts if my planned dates don’t land on the correct dates for the fixture introductions)

For my supercar (I know right, Bogliq has a supercar!?!? Hahaha) the filler is on the top of the front fender, on both sides, so would that have to be moved onto the flank, or would a low slung supercar get a pass?

If it does need to be moved, what date did this requirement get introduced?

Also…

@FitRS

Don’t discontinue!!! Just re-issue it with optimised machinework on the driveshaft, cleaner burning fuel so it doesn’t get fouled so easily and put a complimentary engine cleaning kit in the trunk so that buyers have no excuse for not maintaining their A-R15 properly! :wink:

2 Likes

1974 for bumpers and lighting.
1975 for catalytic converters (passenger vehicles) and switching over to unleaded gas (all vehicles)

Top of fender mount for gas cap is OK, as long as it is on the opposite end of the car from the engine. If you have a front fender mount gas cap, you have to have a MR or RR drivetrain in the vehicle.

1 Like

Awesome!

Did anyone fit catalytic converters in 1974? Or did they all just stretch out until 1975?

In reality, the manufacturers waited as long as they possibly could before installing them. Technically in SOME uses, vehicles were exempt up to 1981. I’m just making it simpler by using '75 (first requirement and widespread use) and '78 for light trucks/vans (because by then most had them anyway).

1 Like

The engine was small to begin with, and to draw more performance out of it reliably would mean that it’s going to be expensive and take a long time to develop and rebalance. It’s not in our interest at this time. Our CEO feels we need to focus our energy elsewhere. Though there are talks about a replacement.

Hmm. This round should be interesting. You could get away with either a traditional RWD or a new FWD subcompact for the economy challenge, and Utility can be anything from a Japanese mini truck to an off roader to a Econoline Chateau luxury passenger van.

3 Likes

Ardent Motors Timeline, Oil Crisis and Immediate Aftermath (1973-1976)

July 1973 - Ardent announces that all 1974 models will use Unleaded gasoline. Passenger vehicles will all be upgraded to Federal safety standards, and be equipped with catalytic converters.

September 1973 - The second generation Sentinel goes on sale to the public. Initially only available with a 220cid V6 in top-trim GL, due to production delays with the redesigned 122cid Cygnus 4-cylinder.

January 1974 - The delayed L and S 4-cylinder trims of the Sentinel hit showroom floors.

March 1974 - Ardent announces a major stock purchase that increases their ownership stake in Suzume Motor Manufacturing Industries to 40%.

April 1974 - The third generation Manhattan, and its sister Townsend Toulouse, launch as an early 1975 model. A new 404cid displacement Ursa MechJect V8 is introduced as the base engine in the State of California. This engine is not available outside of California, and the base engine elsewhere is a carbureted Ursa 444cid.

June 1974 - Pre-orders are accepted for the upcoming second generation Marathon, on its new downsized platform.

September 1974 - The long-awaited replacement for the Ardent Chesapeake finally arrives on showroom floors, in the form of the 1975 Ardent Chancellor. This platform is also slightly downsized from its predecessor. The new Marathon also arrives this month.

October 1974 - Ardent’s first subcompact model becomes available. Named the Piper, it is the first Ardent model to be advertised with its metric engine size. This also marks the smallest motor in a US market Ardent since discontinuation of the Starlight in 1962, and is the first Ardent to utilize front wheel drive.

November 1974 - Ardent announces two new vehicles for the 1976 model year, displaying their prototypes at the Los Angeles Auto Show. The first is the Ardent Smoke, a sports tourer slotted above the Marathon and powered by a 444cid Ursa MechJect. The second is the Ardent Shoshone, a compact pickup being designed in conjunction with SMMI and based on the Suzume Kaibokan, powered by a Suzume 2.3 liter Amagi straight-six.

February 1975 - First-year sales figures of the second generation Sentinel, though healthy, fall well below predictions.

September 1975 - Ardent dealers receive their first shipments of the new Smoke, none of which include the 444 Ursa MechJect; that engine is available via special order only. The Smoke is still V8 powered, with choices of 289 or 333 MechJect Iron Eight V8’s.

October 1975 - The new Ardent Shoshone arrives at dealers, powered by the Amagi series of small straight-six motors. Four-wheel drive is not on the options list for this model.

February 1976 - Despite the previous year’s redesign, sales of the Townsend Toulouse continue to struggle. Rumors begin to churn throughout the automotive press that the Townsend division may be shuttered or sold. Ardent and Townsend executives deny these rumors. On the other hand, sales of the new Chancellor saw a significant bump over its predecessor.

December 1976 - Ardent unveils a concept car at the LA Auto Show codenamed “Silver”. It is a new front wheel drive model, larger than the existing Piper by a fair amount, and powered by a 2 liter Aurora engine from Ardent’s European division.

3 Likes

This answers my earlier question. If Ardent will have cats before 1975, then by golly, so will Bogliq!!!

Ahem, straightens tie, I take it that your car is NOT named after the famous Armalite Model 15, which is what my comment was alluding to… I’ll just see myself out! :flushed::nerd_face::man_facepalming:

Oh… silly me… I totally missed the mark on that one. I don’t know much about guns. I just liked the name :rofl::rofl:

1 Like

This is where my cheap french cars come into their own now.

And if I had remembered to send my cars in for this round they would have set the scene for fuel saving

1 Like

does one fixture having two red bulbs and an amber bulb (indicator) count as having two pairs of brake lights?

or do they have to be visually seperate?

2 Likes

The first scenario.

2 Likes

What about colors for parking lights? Must they still be amber, as they had to be in 1972?

1972 Aftermath

Market situation:

Anhultz Mimas V D

• successful
  • customers consider comfort and ease of driving to be exceptional
  • considered expensive to purchase

no immediate changes made; facelift/ update planned for 1974, introducing catalytic converters

Anhultz Superkroon IV D

• similarly successful to Mimas (relatively)
  • also easy to maneuver and very comfortable
  • not a status symbol and “meh” on most other things

recently introduced; no immediate changes made

Anhultz Mimas V S:

• best in class according to press
  • engine info again being misprinted, acknowledged and not corrected ( cough @VicVictory cough )
  • may not be fast, but actually handles better than most competitors

no immediate changes; facelift/ update planned for 1974, introducing catalytic converters

Politics:

• Buyout of Keika Automotive is officially confirmed though gradually increasing stock share in the upcoming years. in Parallel, a project has been started to release a post-buyout Keika to dealers. The buyout is planned for finalisation in 1977 with an immediate model release.
  • Bogliq Automotive USA is now (as of late 1972) sourcing OHV engines from Anhultz.
  • The previously cancelled Callisto line will be re-introduced for 1973, as the engineers had difficulties adapting the Monocoque chassis of the Dione and Mimas to accomodate a truck bed.
  • The Anhultz Ganymede is to follow a few years after.

Company relations:

what does Anhultz think of others?
 Relation Hated Cold Neutral Warm Friendly
Company -  Ardent Motors Corporation   literally everyone else  - Bogliq Automotive USA
3 Likes

Hakumai makes the transition to aluminium panels, Monocoque chassis. The manager claimed that the Alu panels will make the car safer than it’s steel competitors thanks to better energy absorbing

3 Likes

The new Hakumai LX Range of cars. Better than the original Crest, more power, and more importantly. Reliable cars.

Using the same powerplant (engine) accross the range.

3 Likes

1977 Hampton Model Range

Lore post

Left to right: Fennec 1.6i in Bittersweet Vermilion, Valiant III 2.8 Prime in Olive Green, and Nevis II pick-up in Sand Beige.

Hampton’s 1977 model line-up includes the following vehicles:

• Fennec (model shown: 1.6i 3-door hatchback w/4-speed manual transmission) - Our first-ever front-wheel-drive economy car just got even thriftier for 1977, with mechanical fuel injection available across the board from just $12,600.

• Valiant III (model shown: 2.8i Prime 4-door sedan) - The third generation of our long-running mid-size car also comes with mechanical fuel injection as standard throughout the range, with prices for the Prime trim starting from $17,100.

• Nevis II (model shown: 2-door pickup) This is a redesigned version of our 4x4 pickup truck, with a 1.6-ton load capacity, skid plates and off-road tires ensuring go-anywhere capability from just $13,300.

All Hampton Motor Group vehicles are now fitted with a catalytic converter as standard and require 91 RON (87 AKI) unleaded gasoline exclusively. Please contact your nearest dealer for test drive inquiries.

2 Likes

:fearful:

So uhm… it was turn signals that were supposed to be amber in 72. I had written down the wrong one. I didn’t mark anyone down for wrong color lights.

Turn signals must be amber. Parking lights can be either color, but are typically white.

2 Likes

i’m getting in early so i dont forget like last time…

Economy Entry, Courageux Trois 1400 Rallye

The second generation 3 offers the original 3 cylinder 1103cc engine but also a new 1400cc ohc 4 cylinder in the top models. This engine is found in the “rallye” model equipped with a 2 barrel carb it produces 53bhp. Other fitments are alloy wheels with low profile tyres, sports suspension, twin spot lamps and racey graphics on the side.

Intermediate entry, Courageux Quinze 1.7

The facelift model of the Quinze has quite a raft of changes, and is almost a completely new car compared to the 1971 original. Powering this model is 1975’s new 1.7 all cast iron sohc engine.

Utility entry, Courageux 3 Utility

Still utilising the original Trois as its base the utility has been updated with new styling and all of the safety required.

5 Likes