Generations II: The Full Line Challenge [LORE][FINAL SCORES]

By 1987, the Earl Motor Company had to switched most passenger cars to a front wheel drive architecture, essentially taking the chassis of the Vista, stretching and strengthening it. The Goddess six turned out to be a dead end in this regard, limited to performance cars, so the less smooth, but sturdy Master OHV V6 was developed. All engines received multi-port fuel injection besides the big block V8 optional, but unpopular, in trucks.

The Earl Vista Value Plus - Economy Entry
The Vista Value turned out to be a huge success, so before a full Vista/Eagle replacement would arrive in 1990, little was changed. A cheap radio was added as was a five speed transmission, and the engine was returned with multiport injection to provide slightly more power but much better economy.

The Silverhare Spear ES - Midsize Entry
For 1985 the new Spear switched to front wheel drive as the old generation soldiered on cut down to the luxury Shamal coupe. The new Spear was available with a four, but more popularly, a V6, and featured space-ship styling and a light-bar, and in some models turbocharging or AWD.

The Earl Pilgrim S - People Mover Entry
Fortunate to catch the minivan wave on the front end in 1985, Earl caught the winning front whee drive formula and built the Pilgrim and a matching Silverhare on the Vista/Eagle chassis, including using the Black Smoke engine. Available all the way from cargo vans to turbocharged sports models and V6 wood panneled monstrosities, the S model was the fairly basic version many families opted for.

The Earl E-15 Workman Xtra Cab - Utility Entry
While Earl would introduce compact trucks and utilities in the 1980s, the full size E-15 was still a dominant market force. Extended and even crew cab models became popular, as well as a new four door SUV. Yet basic trims like these still served worksites everywhere, beloved in their ability to handle loads (and people) too large for compacts.

I named the file trim as “Base” but in hindsight I should have named it “Workman” as a callback to my original truck in 1956.

5 Likes

The 1987 Courageux passenger range for north America

Courageux Quinze 2.0 D’or (Economy entry)

fuel and space efficiency doesn’t need to come at the expense of comfort. The D’or model has a modern fuel injected 2.0 engine and a 4 speed automatic gearbox. There is a full 5 seat interior and standard cassette player.
This 1986 facelift was only sold as a sedan or wagon, the previous hatch variant of the Quinze was removed from sale in the 1985 model year.

Courangeux Vingt TLie (intermediate entry)

A new platform was created in 1985 for the Vingt and the Famille to share engine and drivetrain, suspension, steering and brakes. The Vingt being available in a 4 door sedan or 5 door wagon model.
The submitted model is the TLie using a 2.9 V6 engine with multipoint injection and higher compression.

Courageux Famille TLie (people mover entry)

The Famille is a modern 7 seat family vehicle, also available as a low capacity van designed for town based deliveries.
Power in this model comes from the same 2.9 V6 engine as in the Vingt. The Tlie comes with a leather interior, electric front windows and a 4 speaker cassette stereo.
The USDM model still has sealed beam sized headlights as the combined headlights and parking lights are designed to fit into the space of the European headlights. A more attractive design will be introduced in a future facelift.

Courageux Cargo vehicles

Courageux Cargo (utility entry)

A dependable workhorse, the American specification Cargo is powered by a 2.6l V6 engine and has a 4 speed automatic gearbox.

5 Likes

Damn. It’s only when I don’t submit my entries at the last minute that I realize how much time we’ve actually spent on this… how long between rounds.

When this started I was still going in to the office every day without a mask.

4 Likes

One week to go!

2 Likes

Yeah… about that

don’t expect entries from Anhultz for at least this round

i got (and STILL am) immensely caught up in IRL stuff (rebuilding my bike, figuring out finances and such…)

just a heads up

there’s no Lore-Reason for this, so just imaging Anhultz doing it’s thing
(if anyone has ideas, sure)

EDIT:
plus i’m really burnt on the game right now tbh…

1 Like

1987 RCM lineup

The star of the RCM portfolio in 1987 is the all-new Atlantic midsize range. The Canadian family car only keeps getting better with every generation.

Also new is the V6-powered Provincial minivan, including the 4WD model that was kept under wraps until the V6 could be ready.

Also at an arm’s reach away is the Cascadia Stellar 1.5 making use of a 1.5L RCM engine for the North American market.

8 Likes

Still need submissions from:

@mart1n2005
@Mikonp7
@lddrs
@FitRS
@HighOctaneLove

4 Likes

Bogliq Automotive USA 1987 Line-Up

First things first, sorry for not posting any lore, facelifts or flavour text since last round. Bogliq Automotive has gone through some massive changes, learning experiences and time crunches which has kept me absent. This may not improve, since I haven’t finalised half my line-up up to the latest 1986 standard, but I promise to try to do my best to catch up and keep up!

Now onto the main event…

Economy Car Entrant

Bogliq Beagle 518B

Introduced in 1986, the Beagle is a major improvement over it’s predecessor, the Busker range

The Beagle replaces the Busker, facelifted in 1982, bringing improvements in fuel economy, driving dynamics and performance. This is mainly due to the inclusion of Bogject II multi-port fuel injection across the range, replacing the simpler Bogject Uno injected carburettor system. The basic 518B is designed to get the working class moving; being simple, efficient and no-frills without sacrificing driving dynamics.

Midsize Car Entrant

Bogliq Buttress 132C

Designed to make the commute as pleasant as possible without breaking the bank.

The 2th generation Buttress aims to improve on it’s predecessor; make the perfect commuter car! While a little bigger than the competition, the Buttress is hardly a mammoth on the road and drives as it looks; inoffensively and with a minimum of fuss. The Buttress range is a compact one compared to previous generations, since the modern buyer has more varied tastes than in the past, but it still represents the dependable foundation for the Bogliq range that it has always done; buy one and the Buttress will always be there to support you and your lifestyle…

People Mover Entrant

Bogliq Bastion 132F

A big brood requires a big people movin’ van and the best van is the Bastion by Bogliq!!!

Bogliq realised that there was a demographic that they weren’t reaching; people with big families. Since all mainstream Bogliq sedans seated, at most, six people there were families which had to shop elsewhere… Not any longer they don’t! The Bastion provides all the driving qualities of the Buttress range of cars but seats seven people. Um, that’s it, it carries lots of folks so buy one if you need to move people without then wanting to kill you when you finally get there, hahaha!!!

Utility Vehicle Entrant

Bogliq Beagle 524H Highlander

This is why you should NEVER trust focus groups, hahaha!!!

Bogliq was looking to increase volume sales of the niche “Sportback” three door hatch bodystyle and the lads in Marketing, based on some focus group “research”, decided to make a “Lifestyle Offroader” out of it. It could go further bush than the usual Beagles and looked interesting, plus there were plenty of “Visualisation Accessories” available to make the diminutive hatch into a Dakar wannabe! Just remember to take one for a drive before making a judgement call; you might just fall in love!!!

And that’s all I have for everyone today… I have to thank @Marcus_gt500 for pushing me out of my comfort zone and start making my cars look more realistic (plus he dressed the Highlander, which is why it looks so cool!). Thanks @patridam for starting me on this path and @VicVictory for providing us all with this really fun competition!!!

7 Likes

start making my cars look more realistic

Yea, but you have the merit to not flip me off and actually catch on it, these new cars look gorgeous!

1 Like

In my mind I thought I submitted them already as I built these cars the same weekend… lol

1 Like

Everything you need, under one brand

From Front to Back:

-Bambi Librator
-Deer And Hunt Goonie
-Deer And Hunt Buck
-Deer And Hunt Fallow

5 Likes

@Elizipeazie and Anhultz have officially withrdrawn, their score will be frozen and will no longer be eligible to participate in further rounds.

@lddrs is now the only one I haven’t received from. I know it’s a few days early, but if he submits soon, I might be able to cough speed up this round. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

note to all competitors

this is purely a player-based descicion as i am cought up in other stuff and really burnt out on the game because of it.

Lore-Wise, Anhultz will remain in the US market with difficulties adapting to the tech-craze of the early 80s because of poor sales of late 70s models, after that, they will resume normal operation

it has been a great challenge and all and thanks to @VicVictory for providing the chance to do this. Same applies to the competitors for fleshing out my lore (up to a point in the mid-late 70s).

I’ll take a break at this point going to a “lurker” state for an undisclosed time period.

See ya and good luck un future rounds!

5 Likes

Less than 48 hours remaining for submissions.

5 Likes

Sorry, just now I was able to send my cars. :no_mouth:

1 Like

Rocha Motor Company

1987 Rocha Spok 413

The entry car of the brand, now with better performance, more comfort and greater fuel economy.

1987 Rocha Toledo 416

Sales success in recent years, Rocha Toledo reaches its second generation bringing a modern look, better performance and great fuel economy.

1987 Rocha Transporter 630

With a capacity for 8 people, the new Rocha Transporter arrives to compete in a market segment that presents great growth.

1987 Rocha Colorado 650

With great performance, plenty of space and comfort, the new Rocha Colorado arrives with all the grandeur of a 4x4 utility.

5 Likes

Best of Economy Class - 1987

Cascadia Stellar 1.5

RCM%20EC%201987

The True North has decided to come in like a polar storm this year. Its strongest model, edging out a couple other serious contenders in this class, is the Cascadia Stellar 1.5.

Cascadia, a division of RCM, has installed a slick multi-point injected, twin-cam 1.5 liter four-cylinder under the hood, putting out a very respectable 74 horsepower. Our test model returned fuel economy numbers of just over 35 MPG in combined driving, which left it at the head of the class by a fair margin.

Interior design is also quite good for an economy car. Bucket cloth seats, an instrument panel with full gauges, and tilt steering were among the appointments that come standard on the Stellar. Overall comfort was good, including reasonable leg room both front and rear for a small car. We would have liked to see better side bolsters or possibly adjustable lumbar support, but that’s heading over into nitpick territory for a car of this kind.

On the road, the Stellar is precise and feels much more stout than its stature would indicate. Potholes don’t shake or throw it around like they do other competitors.

So what does all this cost? That’s the only real catch with the Stellar. It’s not the most expensive in the class, but for only a thousand or so more dollars, you can move up to a base-model in the midsize category. Would our editors do that? Not unless we absolutely had to. The Cascadia Stellar is worth the extra cost up front, by just about any measure you use.

Earl Vista Value Plus

“…still a good bargain and a wonderful proposition, it should attract buyers whose budgets may not be able to stretch enough for a Cascadia Stellar. Its main downfall is that Vistas are starting to gain a reputation for rotting to death…”

Pros: Low purchase price, great fuel economy, low maintenance cost
Cons: Subpar comfort, worst in class environmental resistance

Ardent Piper DL

“…another budget fighter, even cleaper than the Earl Vista. It is projected to be among the most reliable cars we tested. Overall, it’s well balanced, although fuel economy could be better…”

Pros: Great reliability, low maintenance cost, lowest in class purchase price (tie)
Cons: Poor fuel economy

Rocha Spok 413

“…the best selection if longevity is your main concern. Just expect to pay out a bit for that…”

Pros: Great reliability, great environmental resistance, good comfort
Cons: Somewhat high purchase price, poor drivability

Katsuro A3

“…the alternative to the Ardent Piper if you’re looking for inexpensive. Basic and bulletproof, the A3 is expected to rust out long before the mechanicals wear out…”

Pros: Best in class reliability, lowest in class purchase price (tie)
Cons: Poor drivability, poor environmental resistance, poor comfort

Bogliq Beagle 518B

“…the Bogliq combination of cheap to buy and cheap to run sees it earn a spot as a solid, though not stellar, competitor…”

Pros: Lowest in class maintenance cost, relatively low purchase price, good reliability
Cons: Poor drivability, poor comfort

Hampton Fennec II 1.6 Essence

“…the absolute finest road experience of any car in the class. The cost is a bit steep, though, and with it unable to otherwise stand out from the crowd, the Fennec falls quite far…”

Pros: Best in class drivability, great comfort, better than average environmental resistance
Cons: High purchase price, high maintenance cost, poor reliability

Hakumai Crest SLT

“…great road manners, and easy to park in the city. That doesn’t forgive its atrocious price or spine-breaking seats…”

Pros: Best in class environmental resistance, good drivability, good fuel economy
Cons: Highest in class purchase price, worst in class comfort, highest in class maintenance cost

Courageux Opal 2.0

“…reminds us of an even more luxurious Fennec. But between its inability to pass a gas station and poor projected reliability…”

Pros: Best in class comfort, great drivability
Cons: Literally everything else

Bambi Liberator 2C-T

“…the aim for a pocket rocket just ended up exploding on the launch pad for Bambi…”

Pros: Low maintenance cost, good environmental resistance
Cons: Worst in class reliability, poor fuel economy, poor comfort, worst in class drivability

Best of Midsize Class - 1987

Silverhare Spear ES
Silverhare%20MS%201987

The wagon is far from dead. Silverhare has made that explicitly clear with the 1987 Spear ES.

Let’s ignore for the moment that the massive cargo area can hold far more than any sedan on the market (because, it seems, sedan drivers always do so) and focus on its on-road performance.

In this area, it shines well over nearly every competitor. Visibility is exceptional in all directions. Standard power steering is tight and even. Parallel parking is easy despite the Spear’s size. Road imperfections are well dampened by the suspension, without jarring hops or shifts. Cornering is even, with body roll well controlled.

The interior is as expected for a more “entry-level” vehicle of the class, with supportive sueded-cloth seats all around, central power locking, and a tilt steering wheel. Cruise control is another nice feature, making highway travel that much easier and more efficient.

Speaking of efficient, the Spear ES returned combined fuel economy results of just over 23 miles per gallon in our testing. While this is not tops in the class, it is significantly better than average.

Overall, the Silverhare Spear ES combines entry-level pricing with exceptional poise and usability. It is a package we can’t help but recommend to anyone.

Ardent Chancellor GL V8

“…for those with a bigger budget for both a car and fuel, the Chancellor can be thought of as a fast, luxurious competitor to the Spear…”

Pros: Great comfort, good environmental resistance, good drivability, good practicality
Cons: High purchase cost, mediocre fuel economy

RCM Atlantic V6

“…somewhat of a midway point between the Chancellor and Spear, the RCM Atlantic is also worthy of a good, hard look…”

Pros: Best in class drivability, good comfort, great practicality, good fuel economy
Cons: High purchase price, poor reliability

Katsuro Princess

“…reasonably priced, well-appointed, and reliable. Still, the Princess seems to be plagued by the same lack of rustproofing as other Katsuro products…”

Pros: Great reliability, great fuel economy, relatively low purchase price, Engine of the Year
Cons: Worst in class environmental resistance, worst in class practicality

Hampton Ferret 2.8 Prime

“…overall well-balanced machine. If you’re looking for the best at something, this isn’t it, but it is a very worthy car…”

Pros: Good drivability, good fuel economy, good environmental resistance
Cons: Mediocre in all other aspects

Rocha Toledo 416

“…very inexpensive to get into, costing less than some compact cars. Other than a car that will want to run forever, you get nothing else for your money…”

Pros: Low purchase cost, best in class reliability, great environmental resistance, best in class fuel economy
Cons: Worst in class drivability, poor comfort, poor practicality

Courageux Vingt 2.9 V6*

“…exquisite comfort like this comes with a hefty price tag. Add in signs that these will not be long-lived cars, and we feel that the Ardent Chancellor is the far better choice…”

Pros: Best in class comfort, good practicality
Cons: Worst in class reliability, poor environmental resistance, high purchase price

Deer and Hunt Goonie Base

“…least expensive model in the class. It didn’t make much of an impression on us…”

Pros: Lowest in class purchase price, good reliability
Cons: Poor drivability, poor comfort, poor practicality, poor fuel economy

Bogliq Buttress 132C

“…Bogliq just seemed to be lost with what they were aiming for with the Buttress. It seems to be the automotive equivalent of throwing a dart at the wall blindfolded and hoping you just hit the board…”

Pros: None
Cons: Poor reliability, otherwise mediocre

Hakumai Premier LX

“…this car was a little like paying your chiropractor to pull all the muscles in your back, then paying again for him not to fix what he did…”

Pros: Best in class environmental resistance, good practicality
Cons: Worst in round comfort, highest in class purchase cost, poor drivability, worst in class fuel economy

Best of People Mover Class (TIE) - 1987

This year, we cannot definitively choose a single winner in this category, so we present you the best two that money can buy.

Hampton Transliner Prime
Hampton%20PM%20and%20UT%201987

Britain’s idea of a mini-van came to our shores in the form of the Transliner Prime. A somewhat large, square-ish body with a 2.2 liter twin-cam motor under the hood and an advanced electronically controlled automatic transmission.

This is somewhat on the “premium” end of vans that we tested this year, with a higher retail price but also more upscale features than its competitors. This premium shines in its handling of the road. The ride is incredibly well balanced, and control and transmission of power is sublime.

Interior and comfort appointments are good, but not overly lavish. Three rows of well padded cloth seats await inside, with lumbar adjustment and good lateral support up front. Our test model was equipped with cruise control, tilt wheel, power windows, power locks, and a 4-speaker AM/FM stereo with cassette.

Exterior styling is crisp, with a definite European flair. Our test model came with attractive alloy wheels, a nice touch for a vehicle designed to simply ferry people around.

Ardent Kestrel SE
Ardent%20PM%201987

Venerable American nameplate Ardent quietly started producing Kestrels last year, and the SE model they sent us to test is their base model. Despite that, it comes well equipped, even if the 1.9 liter single-cam engine doesn’t feel like it’s putting down a lot of power thanks to its venerable hydraulic 3-speed transmission design.

Even as a base model, the Kestrel SE includes full cloth seating surfaces, tilt wheel, power steering and central locking, an AM/FM stereo with digital memory function, and seating for seven. We found the seats supportive and the lumbar feature of the front seats to be very pleasant. We wish that there was a little more lateral support up front.

Exterior styling is decidedly American and blocky. Our test model came with steel wheels, though alloys are standard on top-trim GL models and optional on mid-level DLs.

So what’s the end difference between the two?

We appreciated the level of on-road and interior refinement of the Transliner, with the extra legroom in the slightly larger van being helpful when we were hauling adults in the rear. The cassette deck was a nice feature as well; Ardent requires you to step up to a higher trim in order to add this feature.

The Kestrel beat out the Transliner everywhere cost was involved. The MSRP was significantly lower, cost of maintenance lower, cost of refueling also slightly lower. Projected reliability of the Kestrel is also better than the Transliner. And while rustproofing measures have been applied to both models, our engineers believe there are fewer places on the Kestrel for dirt and salt to accumulate, giving it the edge in body durability.

In the end, your choice may simply boil down to budget. The more costly but nicer Transliner, or the less expensive, reliable, durable but more pedestrian Kestrel. In the end, this is why we couldn’t decide between the two, as it’s your money, not ours, on the line here.

Earl Pilgrim S

“…the Earl Pilgrim places third in our test, missing out on a three-way tie by only the slimmest margins. It is only slightly less comfortable than the Ardent, while still being less expensive. Unfortunately it appears all of the money savings came from skimping out on rustproofing…”

Pros: Low purchase price, great fuel economy, low maintenance cost, good drivability
Cons: Poor comfort, poor environmental resistance

RCM Provincial VE-6

“…a mid-level minivan that fails to take on the Transliner in value. Its lack of road manners left us wanting more…”

Pros: Good reliability, decent fuel mileage
Cons: Poor drivability, somewhat high purchase price, somewhat poor environmental resistance

Bogliq Bastion 132F

“…impressive comfort and ride for the price. Bogliq quality has been rather off as of late…”

Pros: Good comfort, good drivability
Cons: Poor reliability, poor fuel economy, somewhat high maintenance cost

Courageux Famille

“…sumptuous luxury with good road manners. Unfortunately that’s where it all ends…”

Pros: Best in class comfort, good drivability
Cons: Highest in round purchase price, poor reliability, poor fuel economy, high maintenance cost

Katsuro Pro Ace

“…rather feels like an economy car that was stretched both physically and existentially…”

Pros: Lowest in class purchase price, best in class reliability, lowest in class maintenance cost
Cons: Worst in class comfort, worst in class drivability, poor environmental resistance

Rocha Transporter 630

“…somehow managed to make a van more expensive than the Katsuro with all of its failings…”

Pros: Low purchase price, good reliability, low maintenance cost
Cons: Poor comfort, poor drivability, poor fuel economy, worst in round environmental resistance

Deer and Hunt Buck PM Mk.2

“…plagued by a host of engineering flaws and design issues…”

Pros: Great comfort, best in class environmental resistance
Cons: Worst in class reliability, high purchase price, poor drivability, worst in class fuel mileage, highest in class maintenance cost

Best of Utility Class - 1987

Hampton Nevis III 4x4
Hampton%20PM%20and%20UT%201987

For the second time this year, we recommend a model from Hampton. The Nevis III 4WD pickup truck goes above and beyond in the Utility category, cementing its already strong reputation.

For a no-frills, inexpensive pickup, it oozes capability.

Locking hubs in its 4WD system guarantee traction in the worst muddy and rocky terrain. Plenty of ground clearance means little chance of high centering and damaging critical components. And for all that capability, it still drives on street and highway almost like a family sedan.

Truly, Hampton engineered a diamond to run in the rough.

Earl E15 Xtra Cab Base

“…dead reliable, with the most usable and flexible pickup bed in its class. It’s a bit more costly than the Nevis, but still a very solid choice…”

Pros: Best in class utility, good offroad, low purchase price, best in class reliability
Cons: None

Ardent Ozette GL 4WD Soft Top

“…can get into spots off the beaten path that the Hampton Nevis couldn’t possibly fit. This amazing little dune-runner-mud-monster is an absolute bargain wonder. Its only real drawback is that it’s not a pickup…”

Pros: Low purchase price, great reliability, great offroad, best in class fuel economy, best in class environmental resistance
Cons: Poor drivability, worst in class utility

Katsuro X3

“…money can buy you a seat at any table. In this case, that table is halfway up the side of a mountain. You just might want to look into a dual tank system, however…”

Pros: Best in class offroad, great utility, good reliability
Cons: Worst in round fuel economy, poor environmental resistance, poor drivability, high purchase price

RCM Provincial 4WD

“…the only choice when you have to get the whole family there, when there is most definitely over the river and through the woods…”

Pros: Great fuel economy, good reliability, good offroad
Cons: Poor utility, poor environmental resistance, high purchase price

Deer and Hunt Fallow Base

“…normally among the best trucks available, Deer and Hunt seems to be outclassed this year. Reliability and economy concerns fuel this in part…”

Pros: Good drivability, great utility
Cons: Poor fuel economy, poor environmental resistance, poor reliability

Bogliq Beagle Highlander

“…though the concept and price point are similar to the Ardent Ozette, Bogliq went with a hard top, and some questionable engineering decisions to boot…”

Pros: Good drivability, great fuel economy
Cons: Poor utility, poor offroad, otherwise mediocre

Rocha Colorado 650

“…a way to travel the road less traveled in relative luxury. Still, we have to wonder if it’s all too much…”

Pros: Engine of the Year, great drivability, good utility, decent offroad
Cons: Poor or worst in class in all other categories

Courageux Utility 2.6

“…cheap for the sake of being cheap. When we look at the overall package, we are not impressed…”

Pros: Low purchase price
Cons: Worst in class reliability, otherwise mediocre or poor

Hakumai Super Hauler 250

“…we can only recommend this as a truck for couriers, or occasional weekend project and dump runs…”

Pros: Good environmental resistance
Cons: Worst in class offroad, poor utility, worst in class drivability, poor fuel economy

Best Engine (TIE) - 1987

*Katsuro I626-EFI and Rocha 650 MPFI
+5 point RR bonus for both manufacturers

Two manufacturers with very different-purposed engines have managed to duke themselves to a standstill in our contest of Best Engine for 1987.

Katsuro comes to us with their I626-EFI, a 2.6 liter inline-6 engine. This motor has 24 valves, actuated from just a single cam. It is found in the Princess sedan, where the 107 horsepower is adequate, if not anywhere close to class-leading. What makes it so spectacular is its willingness to bend to the driver’s exact command, without giving up anything in the realm of noise or harshness. Throttle response is exact and with no perceptible lag, and we felt almost no vibration coming through the pedal at any point during our rev cycle tests. Furthermore, Katsuro is well known for the reliability of its motors, and the I626 is not expected to be an exception to this.

Rocha, on the other hand, has brought to the table their 650 (6-cylinder, 5.0 liter) boxer engine, found in their Colorado large utility vehicle. With 196 horsepower and 258 ft-lbs of torque on tap, it is certainly up to the task of hauling around passengers, cargo, and a good sized trailer should one desire. And while it doesn’t do it with the absolute buttery smoothness of the Katsuro, it is one of the smoothest large-displacement engines on the market. Reliability of the Rocha motor is expected to be a bit better than average, though not at the top of the heap this year. Still, they have made great strides over the years to close the gap from their humble beginnings to now.

GENERAL ENGINE ADVISORY

Bambi 1.6 Liter Turbocharged Engine

We haven’t been keen on the Bambi engine seen in Liberator models for some time. Our previous gripes with it included an utter lack of power and refinement, as well as poor projected reliability.

Our initial studies on the 1 liter model available earlier in the decade panned out, with the engine just not being up to snuff. Now the engineers at parent company Deer and Hunt have provided new motivation for their Liberator models, in the form of a massive (for a 3-cylider) 1.6 liter turbo. This engine, in our opinion, is just as bad, if not worse, than the original. Yes, it’s more powerful, but not significantly enough so to overcome the fact that it’s an absolutely dreadful engine otherwise. It puts out very harsh vibrations at all speeds. Thanks to its reliance on a carburetor, its response when you push the pedal is to pause, hiccup, and then go. And we’re fairly certain that the nearly 10 pounds of boost being fed back into that carburetor by the turbocharger is what caused our test unit to blow out its base gasket after just 300 miles.

Visual Design Honorable Mentions

Deer and Hunt Buck
Deer and Hunt Fallow
Bogliq Bastion 132F
RCM Provincial (both versions)
Earl Vista Value Plus
Silverhare Spear ES
Katsuro Princess

1987 Reliability Rankings

Katsuro - 70.23
Rocha - 69.18
Earl/Silverhare/Hirondelle - 69.03
Ardent - 68.85
Hakumai - 66.93 (LIMITED DATA AVAILABLE)
Bogliq - 66.75
RCM (Dominion) - 66.70
Hampton - 66.35
Deer and Hunt - 64.35
Courageux - 63.93

1987 Relative Ratings

Earl/Silverhare/Hirondelle - 100.00
Ardent - 92.57
Hampton - 90.60
Katsuro - 87.41
Dominion/RCM - 86.88
Rocha - 79.60
Bogliq - 71.80
Courageux - 65.13
Deer and Hunt - 58.38
Hakumai - 54.74

Anhultz - (Voluntarily withdrawn)

8 Likes

Round 8 - 1991

President Ronald Reagan stands at the Berlin Wall and gives his famous “Tear down this wall” speech. The INF arms reduction treaty is ratified by Congress, beginning the reduction of nuclear stockpiles between the USA and Soviet Union. The Winter Games are held in Calgary in 1988, which are dominated by the Soviet Union and East Germany, After 8 years, the Iran-Iraq war ends. Meanwhile, several US officials are indicted for their involvement in the Iran-Contra affair. The Soviet Union withdraws from Afghanistan, after US-backed Mujahideen fighters are able to inflict enough costly losses to sour the Soviets. Closer to home, wildfires in Yellowstone Park destroy almost 1/3 of the park. Pan Am flight 103 is bombed over Lockerbie, Scotland. A little known artist by the name of Matt Groening successfully pitches his animated show to FOX network in 1989 (after debuting it as short skits on another show in '87), which launches what will end up being the longest running non-news show in history, The Simpsons. The Iron Curtain begins to crumble as democratic revolutions sweep through Poland and Czechoslovakia, and the Berlin Wall is torn down. This, in short order, leads to the collapse of the Soviet Union, and the creation of the Russian Federation. At home, the final stretches of the Interstate Highway system are built, marking the end of almost 40 years of expansion of the system. The Exxon Valdez runs aground, creating one of the worst environmental disasters to date. In 1990, tensions rise in the Middle East as Iraq invades Kuwait, and US and British forces respond. The Hubble Space Telescope is launched. Meanwhile a British computer scientist by the name of Tim Berners-Lee publishes the first web page. Though obscure at this time, this new tool will be well known by the end of the decade…

Economy

Unemployment: High
Inflation: High
Economy: Major Recession
Short-term economic forecast: Continued recession

Regulations

Fuel: Regular Unleaded (universal), Premium Unleaded (universal)
Bumpers: 5MPH bumpers required.
Front lights and fixtures: At least one pair of headlights required. At least one pair of turn indicators required. Turn signals may NOT be placed in bumpers. Exactly one pair of parking lights are required. Parking lights MAY be placed in bumpers. Parking lights and turn signals may not be part of the same lens/fixture. There has to be some form of visual separation.
Front light colors: No red may face forward.
Rear lights: At least one pair of brake lights. At least one pair of turn signals. At least one pair of reverse lights. NO lights may be placed bumpers (however, optional red reflectors may be). If turn and brake lights are in the same fixture AND of the same color, there must be a minimum of TWO bulbs in the fixture. ALL vehicles must also have exactly one Center High Mount Stop Lamp (a single brake light fixture at or above the level of the top of the trunk, in the center).
Rear light colors: Brakes must be red. Reverse must be white. Turn signals cannot be white.
Side marker/signal lights: Front side markers required. Rear markers required, may be placed either on the side or the rear.
Side light colors: front side may be amber only, rear side may be red only.
Mirrors: Driver and passenger side mirrors required on ALL vehicles.
Aerials: Long mast or retractable antenna required if car has a radio.
Fuel fillers: Must be placed on the side of the vehicle. ALL vehicles must now have the filler somewhere on the rear quarter, regardless of engine location.
Emissions: Catalytic converter required.
Safety: All passenger vehicles must have a minimum of 33 safety. All trucks, vans, and utes must have a minimum of 28 safety.

File Naming Convention:

Model: G2R8-(category)-(username) Trim: (MFR Model Trim)
Engine: G2R8-(category)-(username) Variant: (Whatever you want)
Export and PM me the .car file, make a post about your car in your lore thread (if not already there), and post an ad in this thread BEFORE the round deadline.

Vehicle categories this round:

Sport Compact (File naming convention: SC) - Subcompact or compact car with good fuel economy and 2- or 3- doors. Typically 4 cylinder, but may also be 3 cylinder or (rarely) a small 6. For the US market, these are typically NOT turbocharged. ABS IS BANNED FOR THIS CATEGORY FOR THIS ROUND.

Luxury or Executive Car (File naming convention: LX) - Can be mid- or full-size, typically 6 or 8 cylinder naturally aspirated. ABS is allowed in this category for this round.

Sport Utility (File naming convention: SU) - Most manufacturers had at least one vehicle that would fit into this category. Typically 2- or 4- door, enclosed with a hard or soft top, available with 4WD and good ground clearance. Can be a range of sizes. ABS IS BANNED FOR THIS CATEGORY FOR THIS ROUND.

Round 8 deadline: Saturday October 31, 4:00 PM PDT (UTC-8)

NO FURTHER COMPANY REGISTRATIONS ARE BEING ACCEPTED.

With regards to the CHMSL - Please try your best to do something visual. PM an explanation if it doesn’t work.

6 Likes

Hampton Motor Group - Round 7 Aftermath/Round 8 Prologue

The 1980s began with the Hampton Motor Group undergoing a renaissance, and ended with the company in better shape than ever before, thanks to strong sales across the board, especially the Transliner MPV, Ferret family car, and Nevis III pick-up truck. Not all was well behind the scenes, however. The Fennec, in production since 1974 with the same bodyshell and underpinnings, and facelifted for the 1985 model year, was showing its age, but it had never been without merit - and so, in late 1987, a 70-year-old Chairman Toby approved development of an all-new Fennec III, for introduction during the 1991 model year. It was the last thing he approved before stepping down in October 1989, by which time the British public hailed him as a true hero of their motor industry.

An even bigger problem lay ahead for Hampton around this time, with Bob and Dave also retiring at the same time as Toby’s departure. Into this breach stepped Toby’s son Tony, who took the helm of the Hampton Motor Group on New Year’s Day 1990, vowing to find worthy successors to Toby and his cronies, preferably from the company’s own ranks. He swiftly appointed James Stevens as head of the company’s Powertrain Division, and Henry Thompson as Vehicle Dynamics Consultant. Meanwhile, Kevin Lee took control of the Marketing Department, and Ryan Parkes headed the newly established Hampton Design Studio. Together, all five of them would be tasked with coming up with several new models for the 1990s, along with the appropriate engines and gearboxes for them; however, some of their existing cars could not be replaced until later in the decade, and would instead be updated as an interim measure.

In short, the Hampton Group was about to embark on yet another expensive major transformation, one that would last throughout much of the decade. Given that other manufacturers did not stand still during this time either, the board viewed this plan as a necessary evil - but one that would potentially pay massive dividends down the line if they were to get it right.

5 Likes

KATSURO Automotive: Round 7 Aftermath

The 80s were coming to an end, and Katsuro was keeping the momentum strong in providing bulletproof affordable cars for the US Market. Sales were strong, but the company suffered a bit due cars becoming corroded sooner than their customers would have liked. To minimize the damage, the company issued a corrosion recall in 1988 for all 1987 models. Katsumi was also getting old and was preparing for retirement.

Round 8 Prologue:

-KRD engineers prepare to unleash their first project for 1990s, a sport compact based on the princess platform to utilize a straight 6.
-The Katsuro King to make it’s Debut with a full refresh.
-Katsuro to enter SUV segment with undisclosed vehicle. No news released by the company on its specifications, but CEO states “it will be better than Hampton’s”

3 Likes