Generations II: The Full Line Challenge [LORE][FINAL SCORES]

Man this is not a great year for relevant bodies… there’s nothing that fits a ̶G̶M̶ ̶c̶o̶l̶o̶n̶n̶a̶d̶e̶ ̶m̶i̶d̶s̶i̶z̶e̶ Silverhare Spear very well, no good body for a ̶P̶i̶n̶t̶o̶ Earl Beano, and my pickup truck would have to be 17 years old so I have to use a van or a ute instead. I wonder how a midsize luxury intermediate would go over…mm

I did somehow manage to get better stats in my economy car with a 2.3 liter pushrod engine instead of a 2.0 SOHC though… absurdly low hp but acceptable acceleration and fuel economy from high torque.

4 Likes

Looks like Bogliq will be getting some European flair in the next model update…

Bogliq Automotive USA info sheet

EDIT: And here’s a teaser of what’s been going on in Bogliq HQ the last couple of weeks…

Oooohhhh, interesting… What’s this all about then?

Bogliq Automotive USA Lore Page

Unfortunately, the US Senate didn’t agree with this deal, so there’s nothing to see here, move along!

US Congress Veto’s Engine Deal

4 Likes

Bah, I knew I was forgetting something!

When you submit your cars, let me know if your company is advertising their engine sizes in CID or CC.

1 Like

Ardent Motors, 1977

Submitted Utility: Ardent Shoshone S (2.3L, 4-speed manual)

Submitted Economy: Ardent Piper L (1.7L, 4-speed manual)
Submitted Intermediate: Ardent Chancellor S (4.7L V8, 3-speed auto)

3 Likes

would it be possible to potentially add another sub-brand for future rounds?
(the one after the current one)

I am thinking of founding a third company under the Anhultz family, which would be very utilitarian.

Just asking, no biggie if that’s not happening.

2 Likes

I feel for the sake of clarity between the registration and play rounds that should be a “no”

3 Likes

1977 Entries for Bogliq Automotive USA

It was only when he did the photoscene that HighOctaneLove realised he’d ducked up! There was meant to be three distinct colours shown in this photoshoot!

The Entries

1. My EC entry is the Exordium 518B5. The B3 has slightly better fuel economy but the B5 is a better car in all the relevant categories (internal use only, not part of the Gen II scoring process AFAIK, hahaha).

2. My Utility entry is the Haulstar 325C All Terrain. The 2WD version is better at being a generic utility, but I was really proud of how the All Terrain turned out, it scores well in Offroad Utility and I wanted to benchmark it against it’s peers.

3. My IM entry is the venerable Sachem 133F. It’s the best trim, IMO, that’s relevant for Bogliq targeted families and is really important to see how it fares against it’s competitors… Fingers crossed!

Good luck everyone and don’t forget to have fun :slight_smile:

4 Likes

ONE WEEK REMAINING FOR SUBMISSIONS. I only have submissions from 4 of ye!

4 Likes

1977: Surviving the Depression!

With rising inflation and gas prices, the Global economy was really struggling. Automakers were either shuffling to create new mass market fuel efficient designs to meet the demands of the diminishing middle class, or forced to go out of business. Katsuro was already well positioned for success in the era as most of the brand’s lineup were already fuel efficient reliable people movers. With advancements in Tech, the entire lineup was gradually being refreshed with the addition of two new models, a lightweight unibody offroad utility vehicle, and a new hatchback, both with 1.6 liter engines producing between 50-70 horsepower. A new version of the L-2 was also announced, the Midnight edition which basically came in a midnight purple pearl paint, and blacked out interior, wheels and trim. This was a limited edition model that would only be produced for 1 year to celebrate the success of the L-2 over the years

1 Like

1977 RCM models

1977 was a big year: Royal Canadian Motors was founded from Dominion’s acquisition of Mont Royal when the latter fell into financial ruin, as well as the acquisition of Cascadia from Japan as a subsidiary offering some much needed know-how (and market share) on small and economical cars.

The Fox was facelifted for 1977 and got a new HiMiler trim that offered a combined 31 MPG to commuters.

The Highliner was also facelifted this year, and the 4x4 model was outfitted with some new accessories.

Also of note is the new Atlantic Turbo, a sleek fastback with a turbocharged I6 making use of the forced induction technology Mont Royal was working on for nearly a decade. This allowed it to return 20 MPG without being sluggish.

7 Likes

Meet the extended family!

1976 Deer And Hunt Goonie MKII

Better comfort, Better performance, Better consumption. The new Goonie does everything better.

1976 Bambi Liberator BD-2 MKII

Since 1970 the Bambi subbrand brings cheap, afforadable transportation to anyone who wants to enjoy the Deer And Hunt services for a smaller price.

1974 STAG Hauler

Another subbrand of Deer And Hunt is STAG. Mostly focus at the Heavy Duty, Commercial, Service, Military, Contract and Heavy Transport sector. The Hauler is mostly sold as a Boxtruck but other configaration like a Shortbus, Security and RV are also listed

5 Likes

Just over 24 hours remaining…

5 Likes

1977 Rocha Spok 413

New entry car, with new engine and front-wheel drive.

1977 Rocha Toledo 416

The well-known Rocha Toledo, now with a new engine and front-wheel drive.

1977 Rocha Toledo Cargo 416

Brand new pickup, derived from Rocha Toledo.

2 Likes

The Earl Vista S - Economy Entry
In 1974 it became apparent to Earl executives that the RWD live-axled Beano subcompact, while competitive with domestic alternatives, wold not hold up to the next generation of imports. All development resources were poured into the company’s first transverse front wheel drive architecture with the help of Earl of Europe, making better use of space and providing better performance and economy. While a new 16v overhead cam four cylinder engine family was considered, the OHV Black Smoke Four when paired with a four speed manual proved to have similar performance and economy for less money and helped enable a shorter development period. The final product was launched in a dramatic advertising blitz, with a coordinated ads on all three networks, singing gospel music praises with the Vista perched on a mountaintop.

The Earl Thriftmaster 4WD - Utility Entry
The unibody, mid-engined first gen Thriftmaster was replaced by a larger, more truck-based generation in 1975, with the drive train mounted under an actual hood instead of the front seat. The running gear components shared with the E-15 pickup enabled this four wheel drive version to be introduced new for 1977. This model features the 303 V8 and automatic transmission to go with the 4X4.

The Silverhare Spear Shamal - Intermediate Entry
With resources put towards downsizing compact cars first, the 1973 Jupiter and Spear intermediate models carried on through 1977 - despite being the size of many now full size cars. The Spear Shamal remained the luxurious choice featuring front bucket seats with glove soft vinyl and an 8 track player. The coupe, while less practical, was the most popular body style, offering a more personal experience and style statement. This model features the standard downsized 303 V8 with automatic transmission with adequate performance and ‘meh’ mileage.

4 Likes

Family Day Trip

Presenting the 1977 Family of Anhultz Vehicles

From left to right:

• Anhultz Superkroon
  • Keika Kakute
  • Anhultz Callisto (entry for UT)
  • Anhultz Dione
  • Anhultz Mimas (entry for IM)
  • Anhultz Puck (entry for CM)

*note: entry appearance may differ from vehicle shown due to trim level differences

4 Likes

Submissions closed, results being tabulated.

Due to not submitting an entry for 3 consecutive rounds, the following companies are no longer part of this competition:

Watson
Silver-York
Platinum

Due to not submitting an entry for 2 consecutive rounds, the following company has suffered an overall RR penalty and must submit during round 6 or be eliminated from the competition:

Charge

3 Likes

Best of Economy Class - 1977

RCM Fox HiMiler
rcm%20compact

Stop the presses. We have a shocker, and upset this year for the best of Compact or Economy cars. Long the domain of bargain-basement manufacturer Bogliq, this year we have to give the nod to an upstart of sorts.

Not really a new company, though newly re-branded, RCM gives us the Fox HiMiler. As the name implies, this trim’s focus is fuel economy.

Powered by a rather buzzy, gruff 1600cc overhead cam four-cylinder, the Fox generates enough power to move. We can’t say much more than that from a motivation perspective, but its good enough to keep it puttering along while getting 31 miles per gallon in combined driving.

Interior design is expectedly spartan, with vinyl seating, a most basic instrument cluster and dash board, and floor mats. We found the seating to be adequate for the task of commuting and errand running, which is likely what our readers would buy a Fox for in the first place.

On the road, it feels quite solid for a small car, without a propensity to wander as the tires run over small grooves in the pavement. Parking is easy, and visibility is excellent all around.

To put icing on the cake, the RCM Fox HiMiler is cheaper than the Bogliq or Ardent. Or any other car in the class save for the Bambi Liberator.

Bogliq Exordium 518B5

“…low cost to own and fuel, and quite handy with a well-designed trunk opening and liftover, and well thought out seating configurations. Really, Bogliq only bit themselves by putting in such an unreliable engine, and not putting enough padding in the seats…”

Pros: Low purchase price, low maintenance cost, high fuel economy, high practicality
Cons: Worst in class reliability, worst in class comfort

Rocha Spok 413

“…Rocha has made amazing strides in quality and reliability, worth of the best in the business. Competent road feel and great versatility are also hallmarks of this little car, though the price tag isn’t so desirable…”

Pros: Best in class reliability, good drivability, good practicality
Cons: High purchase cost

Anhultz Puck IV B

“…considered a microcar. This may not be for everyone, but certainly for those who consider long term costs to be critical…”

Pros: Best in class fuel economy, lowest in class maintenance cost
Cons: Poor practicality, poor drivability

Bambi Liberator B-2D MK II

“…bargain basement entry. It’s great for keeping costs down overall. We didn’t particularly like how the car handled, and the seats were nearly as backbreaking as the Bogliq’s…”

Pros: Lowest in class purchase price, low maintenance cost
Cons: Worst in class drivability, poor comfort, mediocre fuel economy

Earl Vista S

“…probably our favorite balance between practicality and comfort. Projections show that it will be among the more reliable in the group, too. That will be needed in the long run to offset costs…”

Pros: Good practicality, great comfort, good reliability
Cons: High maintenance cost, somewhat high purchase cost

Katsuro Joy X

“…very reliable model. We also love the low liftover and flat load floor, as well as the ease of getting in and out. Unfortunately the Joy gives you no joy at the gas pump…”

Pros: Best in class practicality, good reliability, good drivability
Cons: Poor fuel economy, mediocre otherwise

Ardent Piper L

“…a reasonable value for the money. Fuel economy could be better, as could the seats…”

Pros: Low purchase cost, low maintenance cost
Cons: Poor fuel economy, poor comfort, mediocre otherwise

Hampton Fennec 1.6i

“…plush seats with a stately driving presence gives you an experience that punches above this little car’s weight class. So, too, does the cost of owning one…”

Pros: Best in class drivability, best in class comfort, good fuel economy
Cons: High purchase cost, high maintenance cost, poor practicality

Courageux 3 1400 Rallye

“…a forgettable car with a driving experience that we wish we could forget…”

Pros: Good comfort
Cons: Poor drivability, poor practicality, poor reliability

Hakumai Katana XT

“…very reliable model. But to get one requires an exorbitant outlay of money, enough to buy 3 Bambi Liberators. And that’s if you can even find one…”

Pros: High reliability, decent comfort, decent practicality
Cons: Exorbitant cost, highest in class maintenance cost, lowest in class fuel economy
and as a Meta-con, you spammed the hell out of positive sliders on your engine, sending your ET and PU into outer space and your costs with it. Doing that in a competition like this is a sure-fire way to have a poor showing.

Best of Intermediate Class - 1977

Rocha Toledo 416
rocha%20intermediate

Brazilian manufacturer Rocha has had a long and storied history in the States. Perhaps that is a kind way of phrasing it. So we will pardon you (and ourselves) if you are shocked to see a Rocha model at the top of our recommendation list.

The Toledo 416 2-door sedan (or coupe, for those of you that insist on calling it such) is, however, very worthy of the title which we bestow upon it this year.

At first glance on paper, it doesn’t seem like much. A 67 horsepower, fuel-injected horizontal four-cylinder engine. Cloth seats, AM/FM radio, full carpeting, and electric rear defroster. Pretty standard fare for its class.

What specifications on a paper will not tell you, however, is how effortlessly it drives, both on the highway and in the city. Steering response is even and immediate. The suspension soaks up ruts and bumps with ease. Visibility is great in all directions.

And though looking at the spec sheet will tell you it boasts high fuel mileage, most people don’t believe that because of manufacturers’ propensity to fudge their numbers. With the Rocha Toledo, there is no such gaming. It does, honestly, return over 21 miles to the gallon in combined driving.

And for the budget-conscious, the Rocha sits below the median in price, with a low price tag on maintenance.

Truly, Rocha has come far, and this honor is well deserved.

Anhultz Mimas VI D

“…second in driving experience only to the Rocha. It’s far more comfortable, yet still reasonable on gas. Upfront cost is pretty steep, however…”

Pros: Great drivability, good comfort, good fuel economy
Cons: High purchase price

Hampton Valiant III 2.8 Prime

“…came close to knocking off the Anhultz. It tested similarly in many aspects, but fell short in comfort and maintenance costs…”

Pros: Good drivability, good fuel economy
Cons: Mediocre in all other categories

Silverhare Spear Shamal (TIE-4th)

“…A good driving experience combined with, hands down, the most comfortable seats in the class. Many flaws overshadow this, however…”

Pros: Good drivability, best in class comfort
Cons: Subpar in all other categories

Katsuro L-2 Midnight Edition (TIE-4th)

“…seems a bargain with an absolute marvel under the hood. Long-term testing showed that there was a definite honeymoon period involved…”

Pros: Engine of the Year, low purchase price, good comfort
Cons: Poor fuel economy, mediocre otherwise

Bogliq Sachem 133F (TIE-6th)

“…the choice if low costs override your other needs…”

Pros: Low purchase price, low maintenance cost
Cons: Poor comfort, otherwise medicore

Courageux Quinze 1.7 (TIE-6th)*

“…the cheapest of the lot to buy, and pretty cheap down the road. Hopefully you can keep yours on the road, as it can be a handful…”

Pros: Lowest in class purchase price, low maintenance cost, good fuel economy
Cons: Poor drivability, poor comfort

Deer and Hunt Goonie Base

“…no doubt a fine car to define the new luxury market. Whether upscale buyers will bite in this economy remains to be seen…”

Pros: Great comfort, good drivability
Cons: Poor in all other categories

RCM Atlantic Turbo

“…quirky, peppy turbo engine that we really want to love. Unforunately it’s hard to find things we do enjoy about this, which felt tragic…”

Pros: Good fuel economy
Cons: Poor comfort, poor drivability

Ardent Chancellor S

“…the uninventiveness of Ardent’s designers would have Jack Chancellor spinning in his grave…”

Pros: Relatively low purchase price, decent comfort
Cons: Everything else

Hakumai Stallion LX

“…a complete miss on all fronts, and an affront when you read the sticker. We’d much rather buy two Bogliqs and pocket the extra cash…”

Pros: None
Cons: Everything
(Plus see all the Meta comments in the other class, because they apply here as you used the same engine)

Best of Utility Class - 1977

(First, as a side note, I have to apologize. I should have seen and booted this entry when it was submitted and not let it sit on my desk for a while. This is a meme body, and I should have made the owner resubmit something that would have been applicable to the consumer market. That’s my fault for not doing so, and I can see why it fits in their lore. This will be the ONLY time I allow a meme body entry, even if it fits a company’s lore)

STAG Hauler Box
stag%20van

(This will also be the only time I skip the winner’s write-up because, realistically, I can’t find a way to write this and spin it to what would be appropriate to the publication and its target. Sorry.)

Courageux 3 Utility

“…quirky European “van” that offers decent dry cargo space in a small, inexpensive package…”

Pros: Lowest in class purchase price, great drivability, good reliability, low maintenance cost
Cons: Worst in class load capacity, poor offroad, poor utility

Bogliq Haulstar 325U All Terrain

“…offroad-worth contender on a tight budget. Unfortunately, Bogliq motors aren’t what they used to be…”

Pros: Low purchase price, high offroad, low maintenance cost
Cons: Poor reliability, poor drivability

Earl Thriftmaster LWB 4WD

“…line of vans ready to handle any sort of work or play. They make excellent work vans, campers, and small transit vehicles…”

Pros: Best in class utility, good load capacity
Cons: High maintenance cost, otherwise mediocre

Ardent Shoshone S

“…best of the new “mini-truck” breed. All indications point to Shoshones as having great longevity…”

Pros: Low purchase price, best in class reliability, low maintenance cost
Cons: Poor load capacity

Anhultz Callisto C LWB 4WD

“…an absolute must for woodsmen, hunters, and those in colder climates such as Maine or Minnesota…”

Pros: Best in class offroad, good utility, good load capacity
Cons: Otherwise mediocre

Katsuro Rascal

“…a slightly less expensive competitor to the Shoshone, that just doesn’t tick off as many of our boxes…”

Pros: Low purchase price, good drivability
Cons: Poor utility, poor load capacity

Rocha Toledo 416 Cargo

“…excellent road manners from this small truck. We also appreciate Rocha’s improved reliability. Unfortunately, they still fall short of other similar competitors like the Katsuro or Ardent…”

Pros: Good reliability, best in class drivability
Cons: Poor in all other categories

Hampton Nevis II

“…plagued by reliability problems. What would otherwise be considered a fine vehicle has been soured…”

Pros: Good drivability, good load capacity, good offroad
Cons: Atrocious reliability, very high maintenance cost

RCM Highliner 4x4

“…for the money, we were expecting more value. Poor reliability and high maintenance cost did not help in these matters…”

Pros: Good offroad, decent utility
Cons: Poor reliability, highest in class maintenance costs, highest in class purchase price

Best Engine - 1977 - TIE

Ardent (Suzume) Amagi 2A2300S and Katsuro L6-2.6 Mk.2
+5 Point Relative Rating bonus for Katsuro

This year we have a pair of contenders vying for the top spot in the arena, and we honestly couldn’t be happier to put both through grueling side-by-side tests. Both the Ardent and Katsuro engines selected this year hail from Japan, providing motivation to the Katsuro L-2 Midnight Edition and the Ardent Shoshone. For those not familiar, the Shoshone is a rebadged Suzume Kaibokan, sold under the Ardent name as part of an investment agreement made 3 years ago.

Both manufacturers approach their respective problems with similar-sized straight-6 engines, with the Ardent 2.3 liter displacing a little less than the Katsuro 2.6 liter. Here, however, they diverge in philosophy. Where Katsuro uses pushrod technology and a carburetor, the Ardent is a modern fuel-injected, single overhead cam design. These differences lead to a different driving experience.

The Ardent motor is very smooth and responds to throttle input with precision. The Katsuro is torquier and, thanks to a well-engineered exhaust system, significantly quieter. Both motors are extremely reliable. Long-term ownership savings is split; the Ardent is more fuel efficient, but the Katsuro engine is cheaper to maintain.

Our testing staff could not come up with a clear winner after much debate. Honestly there probably isn’t one. Either motor is incredible, and worthy of considering models with them under the hood.

GENERAL ENGINE ADVISORY

ALL BOGLIQ ENGINES

For the first time ever, we are issuing a general advisory against the purchase of engines from an entire manufacturer. We’re not quite sure what’s going on at Bogliq’s engineering department, but the results this year haven’t been pretty.

All three motors that we tested this year from Bogliq suffered from serious issues, and long-term testing indicates overall reliability to be very poor for these engines. In addition, their 3.3 liter V6 has an obnoxious, loud droning exhaust note at cruise, and their 1.8 liter 4 cylinder is among the most gutless on the market.

The worst of the batch, however, is their 2.5 liter 4-cylinder. This particular motor is very coarse and lacks any form of responsiveness whatsoever, in addition to the piled-on reliability issues.

Now, that said, we know a ton of you will go out and buy Bogliqs because they’re cheap. Just don’t say we didn’t warn you.

Visual Design Honorable Mentions

Silverhare Spear Shamal
Bambi Liberator
RCM Fox HiMiler

1977 Reliability Rankings

Hakumai - 67.85 (Limited sample data)
Rocha - 67.07
Ardent - 64.63
Katsuro - 64.00
Courageux - 63.73
RCM (Dominion) - 63.50
Earl - 62.73
Hampton - 62.50
Anhultz - 62.13
Deer and Hunt - 61.43
Bogliq - 61.33

1977 Relative Ratings

Rocha - 100.00
Deer and Hunt - 99.09
Anhultz - 98.09
Bogliq - 97.73
Katsuro - 93.52 (Including engine RR bonus)
Earl/Silverhare/Hirondelle - 93.46
Courageux - 90.38
Hampton - 86.56
Ardent - 86.16
Dominion - 79.16
Hakumai - 44.24
Charge - 40.00 (Static due to missing 2 consecutive rounds)
Watson - (Eliminated due to missing 3 consecutive rounds)
Silver-York - (Eliminated due to missing 3 consecutive rounds)
Platinum - (Eliminated due to missing 3 consecutive rounds)

7 Likes

1977 Earl Response - In Character

The late 70s was not precisely the greatest time for the Earl Motor Company, but it soldiered on well enough, maintaining a market lead in no small part due to previous momentum. Always the bridesmaid and never the bride, Earl products did not tend to win comparisons but also never embarrassed themselves, either. Despite less-than-modern technology, trucks and larger cars remained competitive with good sales numbers, although their reliability, which was once market leading, was caught up to and surpassed by others. The all new Vista proved to be just a little too large and expensive to woo over second car buyers focused solely on price and efficiency, but its high comfort and space did prove incredibly popular with those looking to downsize from traditional compacts and even intermediate size cars. Earl looked towards the future with fuel injection, overdrive transmissions, more front wheel drive models, and even turbocharging…

1977 Earl Response - Out of Character

Well this subverts my expectations, I expected the Vista to do well and the somewhat too realistic Spear Shamal to fall flat on its face and get damn near last place. But in hindsight the actual standard interior and larger size stymied the Vista as a true economy car (it’s good I didn’t go with the 3 speed auto or power steerting like I considered). I’m also interested you picked the Spear as a honorable mention, I put it together in 4 hours in the middle of last night.

The high maintenance on it and the Shamal make sense because of the interiors (why automation ties maintenance and reliability so heavily to interiors still seems odd to me) but I don’t know why that’s the case with the Thriftmaster, unless other utes had no radio at all?

5 Likes

Hampton Motor Group - Round 5 Aftermath/Round 6 Prologue

The first few years after the oil crisis were a rough patch for Hampton. The redesigned Nevis, despite having a new body, was clearly showing its age; its mechanicals, hastily adapted from the original 1956 design on a shoestring budget, were over 20 years old and were now long overdue for replacement. Meanwhile, the new Fennec was struggling in the marketplace somewhat, since it was proving to be more expensive to buy and maintain than expected. It was not entirely without merit, though; critics praised its drivability, comfort and economy. On the other hand, the Valiant III was proving to be a more competitive offering in its class, by offering a good all-around package. And with the flagship Vanguard selling well after its redesign, Hampton still had every reason to be optimistic going into the next decade.

It was on a cool autumn evening in Warwickshire that Chairman Toby picked up the latest issue of Motor Review World, and began reading it. He was alarmed at how far some of his cars had fallen behind their competitors, but as worrying as his company’s troubles were, he was even more horrified to find out that other manufacturers had also dropped the ball in some aspects. At that point, he knew what he had to do: improve the overall reliability of his products, without pricing them out of their target markets. He gathered around his employees, and promptly made a speech:

“Listen up, lads! As you all know by now, we’ve had a rough ride over the past few years. Our products still deliver outstanding comfort, efficiency and drivability, but have fallen behind in reliability and affordability. As such, we’ve begun developing a new product plan that will hopefully yield significant improvements in perceived quality over the next few years. It won’t be easy, but I assure all of you it will be worth it - and I suspect it will be the only way for us to stand a chance of avoiding bankruptcy or foreign ownership. So get to it right now, and help this company fight back against the strongest opposition we have encountered in the marketplace.”

Emboldened by their leader’s speech, some of Toby’s workers immediately set to work on a new range of cars, but their debut would be several years away, so in the meantime, the rest of them turned their attention to improving the existing range. These updated cars would eventually serve Hampton well for the remainder of the current model cycle. Unfortunately, performance had taken a back seat to other priorities in the aftermath of the oil crisis, as evidenced by Toby’s painful decision to axe the Hampton V8 altogether and offer its tooling for sale. Nevertheless, Toby remained as upbeat as ever, and despite receiving numerous offers to step down, he proudly declined, knowing that he was the only person who could pull off such an audacious recovery plan.

3 Likes

:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

KATSURO Automotive: Round 5 Aftermath
1977 saw auto manufacturers squeezing every bit of mileage out of their cars due to the gas crisis, increasing competition in the market when it came to efficiency. While Katsuro’s engines were literally bulletproof, they were slow to advance to newer more efficient tech that saw them trailing behind the competition in terms of raw mpg.

The joy as a new entry into the budget segment was a harder sell than some of its competitors due to fuel economy, but with it’s very cheap maintenance and high practicality, sales were steady, but not impressive.

The L-2 Midnight edition was also a little bit thirsty compared to the competition, and the market seems to have been dominated by a Brazillian manufacturer called Rocha. The Shamal was Katsuro’s biggest threat this year in the category for people who were looking for something less mainstream.

The rascal… well early sales projections look ok. It should appeal to younger buyers looking for an inexpensive and fun offroader, especially with optional rear seats in the bed.

This year also saw Katsuro’s straight 6 being mentioned as engine of the year again and this should boost overall sales and maintain confidence in our customers as a company that delivers solid engines.

3 Likes