Generations [LORE, UE4] [FINAL RESULTS]

At the cost of sounding like a major moron, are we supposed to be factoring in markup? Because this sounds wrong… unless you’re considering its break-even retail value. I’ve been so focused on stat tuning for these competitions that markup completely slipped my mind.

From what I remember, markup doesn’t import, unless something changed

Ardent Headquarters

Monday, November 20, 1961

Jack Chancellor looked out over the grounds of Ardent Headquarters. The long-standing factory, built in 1892 as a foundry, churned out another Starlight. Its Sunshine Yellow paint cut through the gentle haze of the crisp autumn morning.

The Starlight was in its twilight years; design of its successor was nearly complete, headed by Eugene Morrow. Even still, the replacement car would not be produced at this factory, but rather a new, expansive facility farther downstream on the Ohio River.

The company that Jack had taken over 29 years ago had grown into a global competitor. With the acquisition of Townsend Coachworks, they also had credibility in the luxury market. His new plans for expansion were coming to fruition.

He smiled, taking a puff on a fat cigar and a swig of scotch from the glass in his hand. On the desk behind him sat a letter from Alonzo Rodriguez, congratulating him on the purchase of a plot of land just outside of Valencia, as well as informing him that the hurdles toward building a factory on Spanish soil were disappearing. Likewise, he had received similar news from Manzanillo, Mexico, where a plot had been acquired close to the port city.

It was only a matter of time, he felt, before fortune in the domestic market swung back their way. Perhaps they were still short-staffed on design, having been late to market a couple times recently with key models. But other staples, such as their trucks, continued to dominate.

It would be Ardent’s day, though, soon enough.

kmBlaine - I base that just off of the raw cost, no markup, in the markets tab.

10 Likes

Bogliq USA HQ

Detroit, Michigan

Things were looking up for Bogliq USA. Sure, the brand new Nihilist failed to land a knock-out blow on the competition, but Bogliq was the highest rated of the big local companies and the entire model range was fighting fresh and well liked in their respective market segments. The time for aggressive model proliferation was over; consolidation was the key for success going forward.

Konstantin had also heard, via contacts both at home and abroad, that Ardent was expanding overseas. This new move by Ardent troubled him, so he ordered a special taskforce be formed, to examine the feasibility of Latin America and Africa as potential markets for expansion outside the USA. If Ardent could do it, then Bogliq needed to be there to stymie their efforts at dominance, no matter what!

10 Likes

TSR HQ JAPAN, 1964

Ryo: So, we have a new legend now…
Tomo: Yep. Our secret weapon.
Ryo: JFK is assassinated last year. That’s sad, cuz I have been friends with him… Anyways, this is our trump card. Our facelifted Kansai’s are now cheaper which means more people buying the car. After all, the US’s economy is steadily growing…
Tomo: Yeah right. Let’s reveal the car!

The 1964 New York International Auto Show

The car is revealed. With it’s cover taken off, revealing the shiny gloss black TSR Kansai.

-The new 1964 TSR Kansai GTS revealed in the New York International Auto Show

Then, the advertisement was made…

Lore thread is here!

10 Likes

Mathews-Sakura Dealership Offices, Los Angeles, California, late 1963

David was was having his 3rd cigarette of the day, reading through some reports when a knock at the door caught his attention. He beckoned them in, as he turned to look, he muttered an expletive under his breath. His Wife, Claire, was standing in-front of his desk

David: “What do you want, dear?”
Claire: “I want you to come home, okay? We can spend some time together, like we used to before all of this” She motions with her hands to the office, and the papers “Just for one day, David, one day.”
D: “Fine, I’ll grab my things.”

Sakura Head Office, Kurashiki, Japan. Late 1963

Takeiji and his Operations team were in an intense discussion about future plans for the American market, as he is tapped on the shoulder by an Intern

Intern: “Sir, Subaki would like to talk.”
Takeiji: “Tell Subaki to meet me in my office. We can pick up this conversation tomorrow.”

Takeiji half rushes to his office. A meeting with Subaki is never a good sign Takeiji thinks, as he opens the door to his office. A few moments later, the Vice President of KHI - Subaki Meijidora - walks through the door.

Takeiji: “Ah, Mr. Meijidora, what is the purpose of this meeting?”
Subaki: “Well, Kabeno is less than pleased with your expansion into the US.”
T: “We’ve been selling as many cars as we’ve imported, we have a waiting list for Christs sake! How can he be ‘Less than pleased’ with our expansion?”
S: “He doesn’t like your American business partners, he thinks they’re going to run to the hills, and take our brand down in the US.”
T: “So he has no confidence in my decisions?”
S: “That is correct, Takeiji. He’s asking for you to step down as CEO of Sakura.”
T: “And if I refuse? What then?”
S: “Then you lose your job. He’s giving you a year to fix the ‘problem.’”
T: “That seems like a long time.”
S: “6 months to get the US more interested in our Duchess, you don’t meet that target, then you’re in a deeper hole, Understand?”

Car Can Be Found Here

8 Likes

Mid 1963

Blake : well. let’s start this meeting. talking about our expansion to the US. it’s a step in the right direction. we are selling quite the number there. which is good. but…

Grudsen : let me guess, you’re not satisfied?

Shew : well to be frank, we actually have a sales goal for the US. and we did meet it. but secretly hoped it would have been a breakthrough. but i guess we are just putting up our expectations too high

Hamston : i say it’s nobody’s fault. if you can say anyone is at fault at all. we are just not familiar with the market over there. the roads. what people demands. we only have surveys and predictions when i was designing the car. and now we have hard data and feedback from the consumers. i overestimated the roads over there. i knew they are building a massive highway network. but there’s still a lot of less developed roads. our car was not comfortable enough at speed. plus, we only had minimal experience making a high speed car, i made a mistake in the suspension geometry that led to some instability at high speed. it was fixed, but it was too late. we lost our chance at making that big debut.

Blake : Hamston there you go again. stop blaming yourself. look at the sales number. it’s a success! it may not a big breakthrough. but you did it with only prediction and minimal information at the time. it’s an amazing result

Shew : i agree. you and your skills are basically what half of this company is based on. no need to be so humble, you can lift your chins up a bit.

Grudsen : anyway. that’s enough cheering Hamston up. what do we do next? here’s some info i have gathered since we expanded there. the economy seems to be growing ever so slightly faster every year, and i haven’t found a good reason to think that it will stop soon. so the budget car market is going to be shrinking and our strategy of going the cheap car route won’t hold for much longer. also i found another part of the reason why our car didn’t gain as much market

Drops a review magazine on the table

Grudsen : this. the Senator. i thought we europe were the ones pushing new tech, and they refine old tech. that’s why some of us get the unreliable labeling. because we’re producing unproven tech. and yet, what is this? they’re using the same new V6 technology as us, also the same Overhead Cam just like us.

Hamston : oh wow. this completely catches me off guard. we’re not on the bleeding edge anymore. sigh i have to do some decisions. our V6 is new. but if this is the case, we have to re-evaluate if it’s beneficial to just push an even newer tech, or just refine this existing one.

Blake : that will have to be decided after we decide with what approach we want to go with next. i see it we have to go upmarket. that would leave only 2 options in general. sports car, but american style or big luxurious and heavy slab of metal.

Hamston : of which, both approach, we have no experience in. but Grudsen, you did say that fuel is not much of a concern right? if i can go disregard fuel economy, i think i can push our V6 to make upwards of 200hp possibly. but going luxury… i don’t know. is pushing such a big car with such weak brakes and engine really what these people wanted?

Grudsen : apparently so. the senator. expensive, 3 speed automatic. it’s just a point and drive machine to float above the road. people don’t drive like we do over here. they go fast, but steady, but also in comfort if possible.

Blake : so we’re split? looking at what we have. a sports car seems to be more sensible to make. but we’re hesitant if that’s what people want. but the luxury cars are hard to make, but is what people want. i don’t think we can come to a conclusion today. i want you all to go and collect more info we could use on the next meeting next week. for today, meeting is finished

i fukkin did it again

13 Likes

Introducing our most prestigious, safe, and refined vehicle yet. The range-topping Epoch M30 3.3 features a completely redesigned smooth six cylinder engine that produces power whenever you want it, without draining your wallet through your fuel tank. The M30 3.3 redefines affordable luxury, with premium appointments throughout the cabin and a state-of-the-art radio system installed as standard. Let our best offering yet whisk you away with a quiet grace that you wont find without outlaying double the purchase price.

9 Likes

Click the image to go to the ACA thread

18 Likes

A time of turnover and change at Olympus Motor Group. The founders were well into their 60s. Robert Stewart had retired, Jerry Springstead had passed on, Lazarus Wayne was not much more than a figure head, and Eli Webb had begun mentoring his replacement. Even Dale and Joe Rathbone, the twin brothers who’s shrewd investing, and clever marketing had breathed this company to life, were feeling their age. It would be another 10 years or so, until their children would be old enough to take the reins.
In the meantime, the boys had hired a new CEO to oversee the design and direction of their flagship marque, Olympus Motors. After a disastrous debut of Jacob Osborne, who had been mentored into the position back in 1958, the brand had gone through a series of cosmetic cover-ups, rather than coming out with new models. Osborne had been right about one thing however; there was too wide a gap in between the Libra and Virgo models, that needed to be addressed by an intermediate sized vehicle.
Osborne’s Capricorn design was revisited. The horrific front fascia was replaced with a more dignified look. The front wheel drive concept was scrapped for the more traditional rear wheel drive. The wagon variant was also ushered into the dust bin, as it seemed to be the antithesis of the Olympus brand and image. The only thing that remained was the name, and the availability of both sedan and coupe variants.
Other things that saw change under this new management, uniquely for this model. It would not be made available with an OlympusSix™ engine; instead only available with a DOHC version of the 4th generation Herculean™ V8. The Capricorn would be available in Premier and Luxe trim, but not in the opulent DuLuxe trim. And while the other brands under the OMG banner had utilized television and radio advertising, the Capricorn would be the first Olympus to grace the small screen. The Capricorn Premier Sedan shown below was $1,700 in 1964; that would be $13,675 today (approximately)

Grace! Elegance! Class! These words describe the new 1964 Olympus Capricorn. Experience the ease and comfort of Olympus’s Lux-O-Matic™ automatic transmission. Marvel at the crystal clear sound of the premium AM radio. Relax, assured that your entire family is sitting comfortably in the safest premium family sedan. The Capricorn by Olympus!

8 Likes

Ardent Headquarters

Monday, May 6, 1963, 9:25am

Ray Salducci sat at his drafting table, looking over the latest drawings for the Orion Type 1A, Ardent’s small straight six introduced in '62. Initial reports were starting to come in that there might be a problem with freeze plug fittings. He shook his head in disbelief; this was a bit of an embarrassment for a new product to have a problem like this, yet he had yet to successfully trace what might cause it.

As he pondered, a dark form moved in his peripheral vision. He looked up and to his side, where his boss Desmond Wainwright stood, his mouth agape, searching for words.

“Mr. Wainwright, sir? Is there something wrong?” Ray asked.

He nodded slowly and swallowed the lump in his throat. “Jack Chancellor is dead.”

The pit of Ray’s stomach fell instantly. “What?”

“He… he apparently had a heart attack Friday night. He’s…”

Ray’s crossed himself, almost reflexively. “God rest his soul. I’m sorry.”

Desmond nodded. “Thank you, Ray. I spoke with Stanton. All design staff are dismissed for the day. Tomorrow will be a day of remembrance in-office. Food and drink provided by the company. Dress accordingly.”

Ray nodded. His attention turned back to the schematics.

The last task Mr. Chancellor ever gave us.

Cincinnati Enquirer, Business Section

Monday, August 13, 1963

Much news has come to us from Ardent Motor Corporation this afternoon. In the wake of Jack Chancellor’s passing, the automotive manufacturer has been searching for a new CEO. It seems they have finally made the decision. Charles Bergman, previously the president of Markham Corporation, has been hired as their new top executive.
In a brief statement, Bergman said, “It is an honor to take the helm of such an illustrious manufacturer. I look forward to continuing the works of my predecessor, who was truly a visionary.”
That was not the only news today with respect to Ardent’s hierarchy. Ardent also announced today that Jeffrey Moss, long-time president of the Townsend Coachworks division, will be retiring at the end of this year. So having completed the hunt for one executive candidate, they are now on the prowl for another.

Trim for competition: '64 Trinidad Super Six in Ocean Blue Metallic

11 Likes

the next week

Blake : gentlemen, good morning. i hope you all have more info for today’s meeting. what have you all gathered?

Hamston : well me and my team has been working hard trying to upgrade our engine to where we need to be. good news. it’s possible.

Blake : oh, that’s great, so…

Hamston : not yet. there’s more bad news then there is good news. we need to push the engine to the limit with not much room to grow. the time for preparing and tooling the factory means we may not make it in time by next year. it’s basically feasible… just not reasonably so.

Blake : … well that’s not what i wanted to hear. Grudsen. what about you?

Grudsen : sadly not much more info. just more data and public feedback. they seem to be really split on sports car or luxury. i think we’re fine if we go either way. so i think it’s better to make the easier one to make

Shew : okay we can just transform the Falmo into an entry level premium car for next release. but what about the engine then?

Hamston : as much as it pains me to do this. i have a proposal. let’s put revising our V6 as a plan B. as it won’t be as good as we wanted it to be by our set release time. let’s contact some other manufacturers and see if we can buy their engine, and we can just make a new fitting for the engine in the falmo.

Grudsen : oh no. that’s more work for me isn’t it?

Hamston : i’m sorry Grudsen. but it sounds to me like the most reasonable approach right now. also. what would you say to this Blake?

Blake : sounds risky. how bad would the Plan B work?

Hamston : not quite sure. i’m pretty sure we can refine it enough to get it to make more than 150hp. but no promise anything above that. and also no promise for the fuel efficiency

Blake : okay then. Shew, you okay with this?

Shew : well doesn’t sound like we have much other choice. so let’s get on it.

we are looking for a partnership deal to buy an engine in our 1964 Falmo Release

what we want :

• at least 200hp
  • at least 15% efficiency
  • ‘reasonably priced for the tech’

go PM me

11 Likes

am i allowed to supply engines even when i am not part of the competition?

Yes, because it’s the overall car that’s graded.

9 Likes

Deer and Hunt Repair shop. 1pm. 1961

Jason was sitting at his desk. But not looking at the books. He was looking out the window, waiting for something… or rather somebody…

The door opened with a big bang.

“HAVE YOU SEEN THE NEWS JASON ?!”

William was standing in the doorwell. Sweaty and gasping for air.

“Take a seat Will”
Jason pointed at the seat which was on the other side of his desk.

“Umm thanks.”
“So what makes you almost get an hearth attack ?”

“Oh Yeah!”
Quickly William grabs the latest version of reviews from his inner jacket pocket.
“Here! Read it!”

“Why don’t you read it to me. I am a bit tired”

“Um okay ?”
William cleared his throat
“With the Buck, you get an uncompromising work van, powered by a 170 horsepower…”

Jason chuckled.

“You already read this right ?”

“I may have. Some other people here were already celebrating. And so should we!”
Jason gets two glasses out his desks, put them on his desk and fills them with a whiskey he already had on the desk.

“Cheers, Will!”
“Cheers!”

They both emptied their glass and slammed them back on the desk.

“So whats next Jason? Hawaii?”

“No… I have plans… We gonna show them who is the biggest animal in this forest”

15 Likes

November 1961

After just two months, the new 1962 Fenton GT is selling like never before. The Everette’s replacement is due to launch in just a few weeks. A critical question is raised by the GT’s newfound life.

Fenton put down the copy of Motor World Review that he had been perusing for the last hour. Something had been bugging him for a while now and seeing the GT make top mark’s in Motor World Review pushed it into full on vexation: the GT and the Everette were different – much too different.

He got up, walked out of his office and towards that of his colleague who was the inarguable father of the Everette. When Fenton arrived, the door was open. He leaned upon the door frame and gave a slight knock on the door itself. Everette Haverford looked up and immediately greeted him.

“Hey, Fenton. To what do I owe the pleasure of presence?”

“You remember the conversation we had about the Everette a few months back? About making it into its own line?” Fenton asked.

“Of course.” Everette responded.

“I’m simply going to reiterate what we said before. I think we should do it.” Fenton stated, matter-of-factly.

“Hmmm.” Everette pondered. “Marketing says its a risky move since even the Fenton nameplate isn’t well established. I…”

Before he could finish, Fenton cut him off. “Marketing should be worried about brand image just as much. The Everette is a great car, don’t get me wrong. But it has precisely nothing in common with the GT. So we’ve got a Ford and a Mercedes with the same nameplate. Does that make sense?”

Everette paused and pondered what Fenton had to say. “…I have to say, I agree. And with the opcoming SE model… Two different tangents.”

“Come on, Everette – you deserve the credit anyways.”

“Well, if you insist…” Everette said. “Wait, do you mean to do this before launch? Is there enough time.”

Fenton smiled at him. “Won’t even be an issue. I had the lawyers preemptively trademark the name after we had the conversation. We just need to convince the board and its your brand.”

“…wow.” was all Everette could muster.

And so Everette was launched as its own brand. For 1964, the Everette Ellston gained a new 244 cubic inch V8, power steering, and front disc brakes in the true 1960s way of “keeping up with the Jones’s”.

13 Likes

( @HighOctaneLove round 2 starts now :wink:)

15 Likes

By 1964, the Lagana had firmly established itself as Erin’s most successful sports car yet, with consistent year-on-year sales that had earned them recognition from even their most toughest of rivals. 1964 too would also see a big increase in sales for the car for one key reason: motorsport.

Erin took the decision in 1962 to enter two race-prepped Laganas into GT +2.0 class of the World Sportscar Championship, up against homologated rivals from the likes of Bonham and Zavir to name a few, expanding their team to a two-division operation alongside their prototype entries. It was a well-executed move, and would lead to 1963’s stunning dual constructors title in both Division III of the manufacturers championship and the sub-3.0l class of the prototypes championship.

Original Lore Post

20 Likes

Baltazar-Bush enters the challenge, with the new for 1964 Baltazar-Bush Pollux V8L.

Car post

Baltazar-Bush backstory

12 Likes