Generations [LORE, UE4] [FINAL RESULTS]

(A big screech can be heard from Ashville)

3 Likes

11 Likes

48 hours left before the Round 3 deadline. Still missing 6 eligible entries. Make sure you get 'em in!

With a weekend abroad and some obligations during the week, there is quite a short time between rounds, I’ll do my best tonight but I’d advocate a week longer between rounds in the future. Unless I’m the only one who thinks so.

Bear in mind this is going to be at LEAST 10 rounds, if not more. In the interest of not taking 6 months, I’ve been running a 1 week turnaround.

1 Like

If possible, could you get out some important regulations for the decades ahead so we can pre plan cars in case of situations like this? It’s not ideal but since people have other commitments, giving them time to at least get an idea of what they should be aiming for would help.

2 Likes

Cardiff, 1955. Lord Mach’s garden.

The sound of a small inline 4 resonates around the unpaved roads. A small car drifted over the gravel, countersteering towards the residence. The tiny car was driven by Lord Mach, with Brown in the passenger’s seat.

Brown: “This is our response to Bogliq, Sir. Low curb weight, affordable and easy to maintain materials, and eighty horsepower from the 1.6L engine.”

Mach: “How does it compare to the original Thunder?”

Brown: “It’s a bit pricier Sir. That being said, it offers similar power, lower weight, better fuel consumption and more features.”

Mach: “Will this be able to take Bogliq on?”

Brown: “I was discussing that with Zacharias before Sir. Bogliq is trying to go upmarket now, so if we take the budget sports car segment and solidify our position as accessible sports cars, that’s a market they’ll have lost.”

Mach: “Good. Tell Zacharias to greenlight the project.”

Brown: “Yes Sir.”

10 Likes

Fully understand that. 10 days or next round requirements posted at the same time as the current round might help for people with the occasional busier week.

Have been, actually. If you look at the Round 3 post, for side markers, it says “Not required until 1963”

There are no other significant design requirements through the 60’s. So you’re good for a couple rounds there as long as you mind your markers.

And also @Private_Miros I understand and appreciate that, but please also understand I too have a personal schedule to work around (full time job + active family). Because I have to work on this on my weekends, I cannot do 10 days between submission deadlines. Only 7 and 14. Plus I know for a fact I’m going to be moved to graveyards in September (because we do a rotation at work, and I’m up next), and if I’m not done with the competition by then, it’s going to be seriously disrupted.

7 Likes

Ok! Understood! I’ll do my best. PMI might have to skip some :slight_smile:

1 Like

Click on the image to go to the ACA forum thread

16 Likes

1957 LMC Halcyon GT

http://discourse.automationgame.com/t/leviathan-motor-company-lmc-1951-captain/23170/21?u=chickenbiscuit

9 Likes

Bogliq USA HQ

Detroit, Michigan

CEO Konstantin’s office, January, 1957

What a mixed bag 1957 was turning out to be. As predicted in 1951, a substantial number of Bogliq’s competitors chose to move downmarket, although some shifted into building Utility vehicles. Sinistra had put out a bonkers V12 FWD competitor to the mutineer, Birmingham had a FWD sedan ready to butt heads with the new Zealot, The Fenton Everette was also gunning for Mutineer sales. The guys at Epoch were trying to sell a mutineer competitor at Zealot prices and Caliban, CALIBAN!!! of all companies has released a hi-po Zealot sized rival!

Konstantin was worried. Bogliq had begged, borrowed and stolen to finance the massive growth the company needed for 1957. The recession would make that finance cheaper but it would also make the lenders jittery and prone to demand their money back before Bogliq was ready to pay…

Kostantin was also worried that the hunt for Communists in Washington would affect Bogliq in some way. It wasn’t for nothing that Bogliq had chosen to loosen the pursestrings as well as invest in luxury cars; these were the signs that you were a good little Capitalist…

11 Likes

Motor World Review requests car. stop. PMI Usurper SuperSabre now old trim. stop. PMI Usurper Cannes at least 18 months away. stop. Advise. stop.

Problem understood. stop. PMI Usurper SuperSabre engine now used by PMI Spirit for adapted Roamer. stop. Great concept. stop. Contact PMI Spirit asap. stop.

12 Likes

I’m not gonna be able to make an ad for the birmingham before about 2 oclock,
Is that OK?

Lore post.

9 Likes

ACA HQ: Lansing, Michigan. | December 4th 1957

6 years have passed since the Model 51 began production. It would eventually be replaced by the new RoadCruiser in '54, marking the end of the Corona lineage. Meanwhile, with the ACA-Caliban partnership going well, even lending a hand in the design of ACA’s latest project…

A young man stands nervously in front of the imposing doors of the CEO’s office

Louise: Sir, Mr Samuel Salazar is here.

Conway: Tell him to come on in then.

Sam: Ah, hello sir.

Conway: Good day Mr Salazar. Well, I assume you know why I’ve called you in. The production of the new Apache.

Sam: All is well sir. Production will be ready before the end of the month.

Conway: Good, good. Now, this car better sell. This has been a big gamble for the company, and while I, personally am convinced, our shareholders are not. This better sell big, or your staff are going to be out of jobs by the end of the year.

Sam: Yes sir, got it.

Samuel walks out of the office

Conway: sigh, this is going to be a long year. Let’s see, any new mail Louise?

Louise hands a stack of letters to Conway

Louise: This is all there is sir.

Conway: Gotcha…hmm, there’s a new company from… Mamaya…wait what? Louise, where the fuck is Mamaya. Sounds like a load of hippie shit.

Louise: Uhh, I dunno sir. Never heard of it either.

Conway:…alright then…hmm, ha. Some Japs think they’ve got us beat. Pfft, what a joke. Dual Overhead Cams? More like Durability Of Heavy Concern, no way those things are going to be reliable and good luck getting them serviced…Ah, another new Bogliq. This is concerning…God, I never thought I would say that…those damn Moldovan’s have certainly been doing a good job at taking a lot of our customers these days.

Louise: Yes sir, I’ve heard that Susan’s husband bought one yesterday.

Conway: What?! Don’t tell me I’ll have to see that blue turd in front of the coffee shop tomorrow. ARGH, how can my day get…ah shit…LMC have made a GT cruiser too. Dammit…fuck it, I’ll read the rest later. I need a walk…

14 Likes

Motor World Review, August 1957

Model Year-In-Review Edition

Best Sedan – 1957

Birmingham Renton
Relative Rating: 96.97

Our pick for Entry Sedan of the Year, 1957, is the diminutive Birmingham Renton. Why would we choose a tiny 5-door? Birmingham made a very compelling case for why small is actually big.

Under the hood is an 84 cubic inch four pumping out 65 horses. We’re starting to get used to seeing European-style overhead cam setups, which works particularly well in such a small motor. We’ve also seen a few more front-wheel drive cars, such as this Birmingham. This makes the Renton an easy to drive car, particularly in bad weather.

While the seats in the Renton are supportive, it does suffer somewhat in legroom, both front and rear. Still, it was surprisingly nice to ride in on longer trips.

On the road, the Birmingham handles very crisply. While not fast, it turns tighter than many sports cars we have tested. Straight line performance to 60 takes a reasonable 12.1 seconds, and absolutely sips gas.

All this, in the least expensive package in the class.

We know many people will think we’re nuts for recommending this, but we suggest you give it a fair shake.

Best Sport or Touring Car – 1957

Olympus Libra Luxe
Relative Rating: 92.42

The depth within the Sport/Touring car category this year is quite astounding. That, at the same time, makes the pool rather diluted. The best option we found this year came from Olympus, in the form of the Libra Luxe.

Powered by a 130 horsepower 183 cubic inch straight six, the motor design includes two overhead cams and 12 valves. Power is sent to the rear by a 4-speed manual, getting the touring coupe up to 60 in 10.3 seconds. Top speed was clocked at just over 100 miles per hour, and it managed to get 0.86g in our slalom tests. Not the best in class in any performance category, but well balanced overall.

Where it shines is on the road. The ride is absolutely sublime, eating up curves like candy, and wrapping its occupants in superb comfort.

Interior trim is above average for this class, with leather seating for four, a multi-speaker AM radio, and Swiss-action in-dash clock.

Predicted reliability is a little better than average.

Overall, the Olympus is rather on the expensive side, but well worth every penny in our opinion.

Best Utility – 1957

PMI Roamer Spirit Vogue
Relative Rating: 100.00

Rough and tough, utility vehicles have grown in number and popularity in recent years. No longer solely relegated to the docks or farm work, they have become more adaptable and thus more mainstream. This year, we name PMI’s Roamer the Utility of the Year.

A sturdy 305 cubic inch, 168 horsepower V8 hides underneath the hood, hooked up to an equally sturdy 3-speed manual. The rear differential has a mechanical lock lever, allowing the Roamer to handle rough roads and mud better

While the Roamer is only a 1/2 ton light truck, it is far and away the most comfortable vehicle of the group. It also handles quite well on the road, second only to the Ardent in this aspect.

“Roam” and “Impress” are what PMI would like you to do, and we think this truck may just be able to do that.

Best Engine – 1957

Ardent 286ci “Vela” Straight-6
(Host gets no bonus)

Of the engines put before us this year, we are most impressed with the 286 cubic inch straight-6 from Ardent. Used in their trucks for over a decade now, it puts out a healthy 143 horsepower and 229 ft-lbs of torque. This is a tried-and-true model, continually receiving above average marks for reliability. For that, Ardent Motors receives our Best Engine award for 1957.

Sedan Class Reviews

IP Royalist 2800 VIP
Relative Rating: 80.30

“…beyond sluggish thanks to the automatic transmission. Passengers will at least be able to take this slow ride in comfort…”

Pros: Best in class comfort, good handling
Cons: Very slow, poor reliability

Epoch Model 30
Relative Rating: 80.30

“…the car we’ve been waiting for from Epoch, sadly overshadowed by better competitors…”

Pros: Good relilability, reasonable starting price
Cons: Worst in class economy, poor drivability

Sinistra Raider
Relative Rating: 83.33

“… settled on classifying this as a sedan because it seats 5 and keeps the price down. And while it may seem like an absolute bargain basement V12, the motor is flat out anemic…”

Pros: Low purchase price, good reliability
Cons: Slow, poor safety, below average comfort

Bogliq Maverick Empower
Relative Rating: 84.85

“…have no idea how a Bogliq costs this much. Or why it puts so many others to shame in comfort and finish. We honestly had no idea that a V12 was something they’d be interested in pursuing…”

Pros: Very high comfort, prestigious model
Cons: Worst in class drivability, poor handling, somewhat complex engine

Fenton Everette Standard
Relative Rating: 95.45

“…good entry-level sedan with a well-matched engine. The seats aren’t particularly comfortable, which may be why we favor the Birmingham instead…”

Pros: Low purchase price, high drivability, good fuel economy
Cons: Worst in class comfort, somewhat slow

Utility Class Reviews

Ardent A1 1.5 Ton
Relative Rating: 95.45

“…excellent for hauling heavy loads. While ride over broken roads has been improved, thick mud may still be a problem…”

Pros: Best in class payload, best in class drivability, low cost of ownership
Cons: Worst in class offroad, poor comfort

Dominion Labrador 4x4
Relative Rating: 90.91

“…a tough one-ton truck that can truly go anywhere. A truck made for Canada that will surely dominate the Rockies as well…”

Pros: Excellent offroad, low purchase price, best in class reliability
Cons: Poor comfort, worst in round drivability

Deer and Hunt Hawg
Relative Rating: 88.64

“… first purpose-built non-military off-roader we have seen. Indeed, it’s far too plush for the military to even look at, and older hunters may appreciate that kind of thought…”

Pros: Good comfort, best in round offroad, best in class fuel economy
Cons: Poor drivability, high cost of ownership

Sport/Touring Class Reviews

LMC Halcyon GT
Relative Rating: 83.33

“…brutish grand tourer that throws down 260 horsepower. But the straight-line fun can’t hide the otherwise mediocre performance…”

Pros: Best in class acceleration, good practicality
Cons: Poor handling and drivability, expensive maintenance

Vermillion Vendetta Special
Relative Rating: 87.88

“…cheapest of the bunch, which gives its value factor a big boost, even if it doesn’t have the huge WOW of other competitors…”

Pros: Low purchase price, good practicality, best in class reliability
Cons: Poor comfort, lackluster handling, poor drivability

Caliban Thunder Rev.3
Relative Rating: 87.88

“…the Thunder’s tiny exterior gives no hint of the slavering beast within. At first glance, it won’t give any hint that it will plaster your brains to the windows in turns. Unfortunately it will also wreck your back…”

Pros: Best in round handling and sportiness, low purchase price, good fuel economy
Cons: Worst in round comfort, worst in round safety, tops out under 100mph

ACA Apache GT
Relative Rating: 72.73

“…big, floaty, and rather vague. We were not impressed at all with how this car handled the road, but rather how it handled its passengers…”

Pros: Best in class comfort
Cons: Worst in class handling, poor practicality, poor reliability
Fixture violation: Rear turn signals not compliant. Next violation will result in penalties.

TSR Kansai SL Fallwing
Relative Rating: 64.77

“…absolutely ridiculous on all fronts. This is a playtoy of those who have more money than God, and less brains than a drunk goldfish…”

Pros: Ludicrously powerful, prestigious model, best in round safety
Cons: Ludicrously expensive, ludicrously difficult to build and service, poor stats-vs-cost ratio

Round 3 - 1961

The Cold War continues in a new environment: space. The US has created NASA, and introduced their first batch of astronauts, known as the “Mercury Seven”. The two rival superpowers trade off launching satellites and unmanned spacecraft. In November 1960, the States gain a new president, as John F. Kennedy is elected. But a new “Red Menace” has popped up, in the form of Communist Cuba under Fidel Castro. As well, over the past few years, the home economy has fluctuated into recession territory a couple times, and unemployment has risen to over 6%.

Economy

Unemployment: Moderate
Inflation: Low
Economy: Mild recession
Short-term economic forecast: Stagnant

Notable Social and Political Happenings

NASA formed. Space race with Soviet Union begins. Suburban sprawl continues, but the rate is slowed. Early phases of Interstate highway system construction. Cuba becomes a Communist dictatorship. Tensions in Vietnam increase. Economy has had 2 minor recessions in the past few years. John F. Kennedy elected as US President. Summer Olympics held in Rome in '60.

Regulations

Fuel: Leaded (universal), Super Leaded (universal)
Bumpers: Required, but no regulation as to size or strength. (Strength requirements will not occur until 1973)
Front lights and fixtures: At least one pair of headlights required. At least one pair of turn indicators required. Turn signals may be placed in bumpers.
Front light colors: No red may face forward.
Rear lights: At least one pair of brake lights. At least one pair of turn signals. At least one pair of reverse lights. Turn signals and reverse lights may be placed in bumpers. If turn and brake lights are in the same fixture and of the same color, there must be a minimum of two bulbs in the fixture.
Rear light colors: Brakes must be red. Reverse must be white. Turn signals cannot be white.
Side marker/signal lights: front side markers required in 1963. rear side markers not required.
Side light colors: front side may be amber only, rear side may be red only.
Mirrors: Driver’s side required.
Aerials: Long mast antenna required if car has a radio.
Fuel fillers: Fillers on the rear panel and hidden behind fixtures are legally allowed.

File Naming Convention:

Model: Gen4-(username) Trim: (MFR Model Trim)
Engine: Gen4-(username) Variant: (Whatever you want)
Export and PM me the .car file, make a post about your car in your lore thread (if not already there), and post an ad in this thread BEFORE the round deadline.

If your company hasn’t registered for the competition yet and you want to participate in this round, please PM the required company information as well as your submission prior to the round deadline.

Round 4 deadline: Thursday May 17, 9:00 AM PDT (UTC-8)

Registrations for new companies are still being accepted.

Companies now eligible in this competition:

Takemi Motor Company
Grehet Motors
Sakura Automobiles of Japan (-10% penalty if entering this round)

15 Likes

Meanwhile at the TSR HQ (1957)

Ryo: I told you the car was expensive.
Tomo: Well, that means it only sells to rich people. But, we’ll make sure that the 2nd generation is cheaper.
Ryo: That’s exactly what I want. But, we’re rated the lowest. The highest rating in the GT category is the Olympus. If we’re going to actually compete, I think we should drop down the 100% mark-up. The markets will even love it more.
Tomo: But how about profit. The more sellable the car, the more we spend money for the manufacturing.
Ryo: Don’t worry. We’ll see about that.

4 Likes

I’m pretty sure the highest rated GT is the Olympus.