Generations [LORE, UE4] [FINAL RESULTS]

Oh, there are all kinds of regulations that split between passenger cars and “MPV’s” the next 20 years or so. :slight_smile:

Read as: my personal nightmare is about to begin. Lol

7 Likes

MPV = how to add some cramped seats and sneak a deathtrap station wagon through every US regulation… :wink:

2 Likes

So, let’s update the stats, shall we?

Car ratings throughout the rounds. Entries marked with green background are best cars of their class in the round.

Overall rankings throughout the rounds.

9 Likes

Everything is Fix

Data is Here. Yell at me if anything is Wrong.

Thanks to @Kubboz and @Mikonp7 for finding my glaring mistakes

13 Likes

A crap ton of lore for the previous two rounds inbound…
Have fun reading :stuck_out_tongue:

Round 5: 1964-65

ACA Light Truck Division HQ: Milwaukee, Wisconsin. | December 23th 1963

In 1932, three companies came together to form the Auto Corporation of America. These would be: Lansing Motor Company, Montpelier Luxury Motor Works and Barnhardt Tractor Company. After the formation of ACA, the company would be split into two divisions, ACA Cars and ACA Light Trucks. The Light Truck division would be based at the former headquarters of the Barnhardt Tractor Company in Milwaukee…

Head of ACA’s Light Truck Division, Brandon Perry sits in his desk eagerly waiting…

Nora: Mr Perry, Mr Andrews is here.

Perry: Let him in.

Perry’s Secretary Nora Poole opens the door letting Denver Andrews in

Andrews: Good afternoon Perry

Perry: You too Andrews. So you want to know how the new Model 60 is going?

Andrews: Naturally, this new 1964 facelift better live up to expectation. Afterall, the last thing we need are more flops.

Perry: So any reason why you’re here instead of Conway?

Andrews: Perry, Perry. You know Conway, he’s going senile. Hes completely ignoring everything around him. Our deal with Caliban isn’t helping us at all. We’re haemorrhaging money every time we build parts for them, and yet he’s decided to launch our own sports car. Your division is the only one that’s keeping the boat from sinking.

Perry: So, whatcha gonna do? Sabotage Caliban?

Andrews: If it keeps the lights going in our factories Perry, I’ll do it. I’ll cut the spending on the parts manufacture for them and layoff some workers in the Caliban factory. That should keep them from out selling us.

Perry: And how exactly do you plan on keeping this a secret. Ya know, it only takes one curious individual to piece it all together.

Andrews: First off, I trust you. Secondly, who cares. If Caliban cuts ties with us, brilliant. That’s one less burden on us. Besides, I’ve already been in contact with some folk in Europe. If we can expand over to there, who knows how much more profit we can make.

ACA Light Truck Division HQ: Milwaukee, Wisconsin. | December 3rd 1964
The 1964 facelift of the ACA Model 60 Truck was a massive success. Named the best truck of the year by all major magazines…

Perry: HELL YEAH. YOU SEE THIS. YOU SEE THIS. TRUCK OF THE YEAR! Nora, remind me to give all the staff a month pay rise for this. YEAH!

Andrews: I see you’re celebrating.

Perry: Naturally. Hey, Nora, why didn’t you tell me Andrews was here?

Nora: I did, you were too busy celebrating.

Perry: Ah…ahem…so what did you want to speak to me about?

Andrews: I need you to help me become CEO of ACA.

Perry: I’m sorry what? You want me, to help you become CEO?

Andrews: Conway’s planning on retiring. I can’t let anyone else become CEO. Come on Perry, you and I want the same thing. The company is in stagnation, we’re making fuck all profit as well as having a leech. If anyone else becomes CEO, they’ll probably try to appease Caliban.

Perry: Right, right. Jesus. sigh. Fine, I’ll back you. But know this, if the others ain’t gonna be happy with ya for doing this.

Andrews: As long as you understand, it should be fine…

Extra Lore: 1965-69

In 1966, Kingston Conway would retire as CEO of ACA. Replacing him would be Denver Andrews.

ACA Detroit HQ: Detroit, Michigan. | January 4th 1968
Andrews enters his new office in Detroit…

Louise: Hello sir, how was the meeting.

Andrews: Rough, jeez, to think the old fart had to deal with this on a daily basis. Anyway, how is you son Mrs Salazar?

Louise: He’s doing fine, I’ve left him with the nanny at home.

Andrews: Ah, that’s good. Any news from Europe?

Louise: Sam says the only company really willing to speak are Merciel. Noone else is really interested.

Andrews: Damn, anyways, have you booked my hotel in Wales for next month?

Louise: Yes sir, it’s all sorted.

Andrews: Good, we’re gonna need some hefty renegotiation

Soon after this meeting ACA and Caliban relations broke down, with the long running partnership the two companies ending in October 1968…

Round 6: 1969-70

ACA Detroit HQ: Detroit, Michigan. | December 10th 1968
Andrews is sitting in his office waiting for a call from the factory…

The phone rings

Andrews: Hello, Andrews speaking?

Callum: Ah, hello, it’s Callum the factory manager. Listen, we’ve got all the tooling sorted for the RoadCruiser 500 Special. We’ve got the first car made already, it’s ready to drive so I was wondering when we should do the press reveal?

Andrews: Soon, away from phone, Louise, tell the press that we’re unveiling the new car tomorrow. Back into the phone, yeah get it clean and ready for tomorrow. Also see if you can make at least two more cars.

Louise: Sir, a letter has come in from Paris. Its from a Mr Thierry Garreau, looks like they’re willing to negotiate with us.

Andrews: Perfect! Forward it to Sam and book him a flight to Paris next week.

Louise: But sir, its our son’s birthday next month.

Andrews: Sorry Mrs Salazar, but we can’t lose out on this deal…In fact, you know what, why not go with him. I’ll give both of you extended leave. This deal is just too important not to miss.

Louise: But sir…

Andrews: It’s fine, I’ll sort the rest out

Louise:…Thank you sir…

ACA Detroit HQ: Detroit, Michigan. | December 2nd 1969
A year has passed since the RoadCruiser 500 Special went on sale. While it wasn’t the best in the year, it was a sales success…

Louise: Hello sir. How was the meeting this morning.

Andrews: Hell as usual. Shareholders aren’t too happy as usual.

Sam: Ah, hello sir, hello dear. Listen, I’ve been looking at other companies in Europe and well, the ones that did accept our initial negotiations, none of them are really willing to accept helping us spread into Europe. Not even Merciel are really budging, not unless we want to give them a substantial stake in ACA.

Andrews: Ah, perfect. We’re still stagnating profits, even without Caliban, the shareholders are still annoyed at the lack of progress, and now we’re having trouble in Europe. Perfect.

Sam: Sir if you want, I can see if Merciel are willing to negotiate a bit more seeing as it’s our only chance to branch out.

Andrews: Please do, we only have one shot at this, we can’t fail or ACA is finished…

5 Likes

I for one completely understand and you need not apologize. Because the week I’ve had is one for the books. And Thursday was quite possibly a medalist in the series of “Worst Days of My Life”. I will spare you the details but in summary, fucked up hardcore at work, catalytic converter died in my car and the shop (partly) botched the repair job, and had to get a tooth crowned. Also rent was due and credit car was maxed.

As for this:

Using crossply tires. When being historically accurate bites you in the ass :laughing:

The rest of it was spot on though :neutral_face: . Oh well; it basically fits with FHL canon. C Fenton Trunt is more concerned with absolute top-of-the-line while Everette Haverford cares about making things good enough and still accessible. The 1970s and '80s are definitely going to reflect this.

3 Likes

Round 6 - 1973

While Cold War tensions are still at their heights, there is a glimmer of hope on the horizon, as the Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty is signed. Still, both sides are in a stalemate. Soviet Union gains a minor victory in the space race when they launch the first space station, while the USA has a scare when the Apollo 13 mission suffers crippling damage in flight, with the crew barely making it back to Earth with their lives. In Sapporo in '72, the Eastern Bloc countries show their athletic superiority over the States with convincing medal count victories for East Germany and the USSR. In a shock to the pop culture world, the Beatles disband. Walt Disney opens his second theme park, this time in Florida. World travel is revolutionized by the introduction of the Boeing 747 jumbo jet. And something is afoot politically as the Watergate scandal begins.

Economy

Unemployment: Moderate-low
Inflation: High
Economy: Stagnant
Short-term economic forecast: Severe inflation

Notable Social and Political Happenings

Nuclear Nonproliferation treaty. Beatles break up. Apollo 13 accident. Boeing 747 introduced. 26th Amendment. Disneyworld opens. USSR launches first space station. Watergate scandal begins. '72 Winter Olympics in Sapporo.

Regulations

Fuel: Leaded (universal), Super Leaded (universal), Regular Unleaded (very common)
Bumpers: 5MPH bumpers. Most cars with “integrated” bumpers qualify. Cars with no discernable integrated bumper must have a thick chrome bumper added.
Front lights and fixtures: At least one pair of headlights required. At least one pair of turn indicators required. Turn signals may NOT be placed in bumpers. If square headlights are used, there must be two pair instead of one. Exactly one pair of parking lights are required. Parking lights MAY be placed in bumpers
Front light colors: No red may face forward. Parking lights must be amber.
Rear lights: At least one pair of brake lights. At least one pair of turn signals. At least one pair of reverse lights. NO lights may be placed bumpers (however, optional red reflectors may be). If turn and brake lights are in the same fixture and of the same color, there must be a minimum of two bulbs in the fixture.
Rear light colors: Brakes must be red. Reverse must be white. Turn signals cannot be white.
Side marker/signal lights: Front side markers required. Rear markers required, may be placed either on the side or the rear.
Side light colors: front side may be amber only, rear side may be red only.
Mirrors: Driver’s side required.
Aerials: Long mast or retractable antenna required if car has a radio.
Fuel fillers: 1974 is the last year that rear-panel fuel fillers are allowed.
Emissions: Not required yet, however regular unleaded and a catalytic converter will be required in 1975.

File Naming Convention:

Model: Gen7-(username) Trim: (MFR Model Trim)
Engine: Gen7-(username) Variant: (Whatever you want)
Export and PM me the .car file, make a post about your car in your lore thread (if not already there), and post an ad in this thread BEFORE the round deadline.

If your company hasn’t registered for the competition yet and you want to participate in this round, please PM the required company information as well as your submission prior to the round deadline.

Round 7 deadline: Saturday June 9, 9:00 AM PDT (UTC-8)

NO FURTHER COMPANY REGISTRATIONS ARE BEING ACCEPTED.

12 Likes

For anyone who may not know about parking lights, check out Wikipedia’s summary.

Also tons of other goodies on automotive lighting for the pedantic or intrigued.

1 Like

Combination of turn signal and parking lamp allowed with a dual bulb fixture?

1 Like

And…DAAAANGEROUSLY close to the limits of copyright infringement, we present you the Freeway Star microvan! :joy:

6 Likes

But… Where’s the oil crisis??? :confused:

There was supposed to be an Earth shattering oil crisis!!! :scream:

@VicVictory Do I roleplay as if there was no crisis? Or has it happened and we need to focus on fuel efficiency over massive horsepower?

I’m going to have a guess that this competition assumes an early - mid year time frame, whereas the crisis was October of the year.

But that’s just my assumption

So, the oil crisis was in 1973? :laughing: I thought it was in 1972!

In that case I’ll just have to roleplay as if nothing has changed, marketing wise, from the 1969 era…

Horsepower FTW confirmed!!!

1 Like

The oil crisis didn’t happen until October of 1973. The review comes out in August of each year, after several months of the cars being on the market.

As long as it’s not in the bumper, as turn signals can no longer be in the bumper.

3 Likes

Imgur

Base Car Seen here, almost.

9 Likes

The origins of my job :nerd_face:

Also, I had a 1974 car ready :unamused:

Mach Residence, April 1972.

Mach is reunited with Brown and the rest of engineers, appart from a new face, now substituting Zacharias who decided to finally retire, at the workshop.

Mach II: “That’s why I think we need to axe the Type SC. It’s not profitable, and we’re unable to get the car completely right. We’re just getting called out again and again for it, and, if you don’t believe me, just check the 1969 issue of Motor World Review. They, and the customers, prefer the Thunder.”

Silence was broken as people started talking to each other, before one of the engineer raised their hand.

Engineer: “Will we not need a halo car? Relying exclusively on a small sports car seems like too much of a gamble.”

Mach II: “Good question. We’ll have to find a way to substitute it, somehow. We’re currently studying that, maybe we’ll have to initiate contacts with several different companies, we don’t know just yet.”

Mach turned his head from one end to the other of the crowd, making sure everyone was listening to him.

Mach II: “If you excuse me now, I promised my wife and daughter to spend the rest of the afternoon with them. Brown will get back to you as soon as we make a decision. I hope all of you have a great day.”

Williams left the workshop, Brown following him soon after. The engineers packed for the day and closed the workshop, not without rumours of the company reaching an all-time low flying between them.

To be continued.

7 Likes

IP OF AMERICA HEADQUARTERS
JANUARY 1971

“Someone said that forward control vans would never become a thing in the US, huh?”
“Well, it’s not exactly that we have had any success with the Highway Star.”
“The Highway Star is a bit of an oddball for US customers. An almost-fullsize van with a relatively tiny little four cylinder. It’s not really the van that US customers want.”
“You’re so right, and do you know what the solution will be?”
“Yes, I think we need an even bigger van with a V8 to compete with the domestics.”
“You’re so wrong now though. How about a really small van with an even smaller four cylinder?”
“That will be a FLOP!”
“No. It will pave the way for the future. In some years people will get tired of getting large vans as family vehicles. They are great for hauling cargo but they doesn’t fit in most peoples garage, are beasts to drive and consumes gallons of fuel!”
“Sure. I can understand why some people are going for compact cars, but come on, a compact VAN? The whole idea behind a van is that it should be large and roomy…”
“Asia is full of small vans and they fulfill lots of important work there. They are enough most of the time.”
“This is not Asia.”
“But people are buying asian cars now. Like the ones we are selling! I promise you that in 10-15 years, there will be a boom for compact sized vans, every manufacturer will jump on that wagon, and then it’s great if we was there first.”
“That’s the most stupid thing I’ve ever heard. In 10-15 years people will forget that small vans ever existed. No, I don’t believe you.”

7 Likes

Ardent Headquarters, Cincinnati OH

Friday, September 5, 1969

The air hung thick and damp, the later afternoon sun beating down on the Ohio river and everything around it. Men sweltered in their finest businesswear, but even as pearls of sweat beaded up on their skin, there was laughter. Storytelling of years and decades past filled the room in a jubilant cacophony.

Every department head in Ardent headquarters was present, along with many top designers and engineers representing both the old guard of Ardent and the new blood rising. At the center of it all, oddly at ease, was Clarence James. Flanked at the head of the table by CEO Charles Bergman and the VP of Human Resources, Clarence clutched a fine crystal old fashioned glass. His poison of choice was his favorite private reserve bourbon from across the river in Kentucky.

Bergman rose to his feet, folded his eyeglasses, placed them on the table and tapped his own drinking glass gently. The room fell silent.

“A toast, everyone,” he called out. “To Clarence. His dedication to Ardent spans more than thirty years. His years with Jack were marked by the rise of Ardent from the ashes of the Depression, to the global manufacturing entity we see today. For me, his counsel and advice over the past six years has been indispensable, and his engagement with all divisions within the company has been truly remarkable. But tell me, Clarence. Do the fish appreciate your guidance when you pluck them from the lake?”

Soft chuckles coursed through the crowd as Clarence, with humor, rolled his eyes.

“I hear you’re off to Spain next week. Remember, you’re there to see the sights. If I catch you pestering the factory managers out there about quota efficiency, we’re going to have words.”

The chuckles grew into peppered laughter.

Charles waited for the crowd to become silent again, his expression returning to solemnity. “You will be missed, Clarence. But you’ve more than earned your retirement, and it’s about time that you go and enjoy it.” He raised his glass, and a moment later was followed by all in attendance. “To Clarence!”

“To Clarence!” the crowd replied.

30 Minutes Later

Charles stood at the window in his office, gaping wide open in a vain attempt to circulate the stagnant air. His suit jacket hung neatly in the armoire in the corner. Sweat permeated his button-down dress shirt.

A soft knock at the door called his attention back to reality. “Come in,” he called.

Ray Salducci, Ardent’s new head of Powertrain, stepped through the portal.

“Ray, good. Thank you for coming.”

“What can I do for you, Mr. Bergman?”

Charles sighed heavily. “You’ve got a lot of work to do, starting Monday. I’m still working out the details on how many more staff members I can let you hire, but you’re going to need more.”

“Why? Development of the new Cygnus is going fine,” Ray responded, a bit confused.

“This clean air thing,” Charles responded. “It seems to be gaining more traction. And they’re targeting tetraethyllead.”

“You’re kidding? I mean, what do they expect us to do? Blow up our engines?”

Charles reached for a glass of water on his desk, taking a long sip. “You know how disastrous this could be. But our lobby is fighting a losing battle here. They’re not sure how much longer they can fight off regulation change, so we need a different approach. Redesign them. All of them. Find a way to use unleaded fuel without blowing holes in the ports.”

Ray grimaced and nodded. “We’ll start first thing Monday.”

7 Likes

In a garage, somewhere near Suzuka, late 1969.
AKA the Keika Automotive HQ

Daniel Chase, founder of Keika, had begun another session of reading mail. More factory teams placing orders, some private dealerships in Europe asking for and another message from America. Inside contained a page from some American review magazine.

He skimmed through it. “…slick all-aluminum, overhead cam engine breaks the 1 horsepower per cubic inch mark. And it does so for a remarkable bargain." He smiled at this. America could be another oppertunity, and maybe a Japanese sports car could take on bigger V8s. A piece of paper fell out of the envelope as he put it down. On it simply read “How open are you for renegotiation now?”

He smiled, reaching for his pen, he planned a way this could work for both of them.

6 Likes