Grand Sierra Motors

Grand Sierra Motors is a South African Company founded in 1995 by Robert Stevens and Jan DeBoer. Robert Stevens is a chassis engineer with experience in Group C prototypes, while Jan DeBoer is an engine builder who modifies readily available, mass-produced engines to motorsport ready specifications. Together they create limited production sports cars that use many of the best technologies, with the goal of making them as light, capable and reliable as possible.
It took them and their small team 6 years to create their first car, the C2000. It was a mid-engined sports car manufactured entirely from carbon fiber. The C2000 used an iron block 3.8L OHV V6 that was tuned to make 264hp and 341Nm and a 5-speed manual gearbox, although later models would use more powerful V8 engines and better transmissions. Because it was made from carbon fiber, it was very light, just 1032kg. It wasn’t very fast though because it was not very powerful.

9 Likes

A simple yet striking design – I see glimpses to the Alfa Romeo 8C and Chevrolet C5 Corvette hidden away in those fixtures. The “2000” moniker doesn’t really sit well with me however, as I’m struggling to see the correlation. Nice work overall, though. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I am not great with names, so I just suck with the working title Competition Coupe year 2000

I feel like you’re getting that early 2000s smoothness spot on, though a few extra details here and there would really bring the thing to life. Looking forward to what comes next with this company!

I am planning on releasing upgraded Versions with V8 engine and a GT3 Variant :slight_smile:
@DeusExMackia Also, where would you suggest I add details?

1 Like

Excellent to hear…and hopefully with more power :smiling_imp:

Details wise, tidy up that side vent so that the whole thing looks like one continuous fixture, make the exhausts less blingy and more Incorporated into the car’s design (have a look at the Murcielago or Koenisegg CCR’s exhausts) and see if you can’t make the mirrors a little more exciting

Ok, I’ll see what I can do.

1 Like

@DeusExMackia

The C2000 was initially well received but customers soon complained about the underpowered engine, bad rear visibility and built quality that was not befitting of the $80.000 price tag. So Robert Stevens had no choice but to modify the chassis, while Jan DeBoer went in search of a better engine. He went for a Rhodesia Motors 5.0L V8 which he then modified by fitting high lift cams and a high flow exhaust system which brought power up to 350hp on regular gas. The car now used a modern Getrag 6-speed transaxle as well. Meanwhile Stevens had relocated the rear view mirrors, added a roof scoop to keep the interior cool and modified the aerodynamics package. The V8 C2000 went on sale after 52 V6 powered cars had been built in 2003 and was much more successful than the V6.

10 Likes

I’ll take one in a pearl white :drooling_face:

Ayyy now that is looking svelte. Gorgeous shade of yellow too.

It looks even better now compared with the original (which was still a looker), but surely it deserves at least 500 horsepower, maybe more, to go with that race-car underpinnings (carbon chassis and panels, pushrod suspension front and rear) and super-sleek shape? Speaking of which, if the C5 Corvette were a mid-engined supercar rather than a front-engined sports car, it would look very much like the C2000.

Relax the HP Escalation comes in the mid-late 2000s :wink:

While the C2000 Type 2 was still in development, a small number of Grand Sierra employees saw its motorsport potential and converted the car into an NGT-spec racing vehicle after hours, with the full support of Stevens and DeBoer, even if the road car still had priority due to its sales providing much of the company’s funding. Because the C2000 was already very close to an actual race car, very few modifications were actually needed, such as an FIA-approved roll cage, a high downforce aero kit, six point racing harness and slick tires with central lug wheels. The Gearbox was swapped with a sequential six speed unit and the 5.05L V8 engine was fitted with a non-road legal exhaust manifold that upped the output to 390hp @ 6500rpm and 478Nm @ 5500rpm.

The C390 GTRS was sold in race ready form to privateer racing teams beginning in late 2003 at a price of $150,000. 15 examples were built until 2005.

6 Likes

Impressive amount of detail on the rear.

1 Like

Thank you!

Looking at the race-spec C2000, it looks like it belongs in Burnout 3, just like its road-going counterpart, only more so. But in a racing application, where weight reduction is essential, I can’t help feeling that an all-alloy V8 would be even more useful - it shaves a few kilos and thereby improves the car’s power-to-weight ratio even more. Even so, as it is right now, any C2000 is guaranteed to leave you breathless the moment you drive it.