The Old 'Kuto Thread

You’ve somehow made an early 2000s body look gorgeous, simply beautiful for a minivan

1 Like

Would be a really nice competitor to my Ursula F5, just saying.

2 Likes

Is the F5 like a Toyota Crown or Lexus GS?

2 Likes

Really really nice design! Good balance between striking and sober :smiley:

2 Likes

It’s more like the competitor of the GS, although the F5 is more Audi/Merc-inspired.

1 Like

Perfect! Yep, the Sakuta and Sakuta Shogun are based on the Toyota Crown and Crown Majesta respectively. Certainly a friendly comparison is in order once I publish some future content :wink:

1 Like

I’m struggling to disagree. It’s one of the best-looking cars ever to use that body, with a friendly, rather than showy, front end combined with a cohesive rear end. In fact, it makes me question the need for a crossover - sometimes, a minivan will do just fine.

2 Likes

Hokuto Heavy Industries announces the purchase new land and starts construction of new factories

KORIYAMA, JAPAN - Four days before press days occur at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit, Michigan, USA, Hokuto Heavy Industries has announced the purchase of new land and construction of new factories.

What does this mean?
Currently, we only know that this is to build new cars. Two recent teasers from Hokuto at the NAIAS show images of new vehicles, and the first comes with the text ‘something big is coming.’ We can only assume that these new vehicles are going to require new factories for assembly.

Only time will tell - stay tuned to Detroit for more!

8 Likes

Some Small Updates

For those who care about this company teehee

So I’ve decided to go back to the original post for the 21st time (literally) and add hyperlinks to specific models. So that’s kinda neat. I’ll be updating that as I make more of the lineup itself.

Next, I have some questions.

I want to ask you guys what you want to see. My goal is to create some seriously cool stuff that you guys want to see, and I can’t do that if I don’t try to reach out. So for some feedback, what should I do? Finish the rest of the modern lineup? Or shall I put that on hold, and go and do some older models?

Next is Axuma! If you haven’t seen our exhibit the Detroit Autoshow yet, go check it out! I’ve been super excited to release this project, and I’ve been working out a bunch of realistic lore for platforms, engines and etc., and I’d love y’all to tell me what you think of it. And bonus, awesome Ben Folds song included in the presentation.

I’ll spare the writing here and just link you to the post. ReMeMbEr To LiKe CoMmEnT aNd sUbScRiBe!1!!

So please, let me know! Drop a suggestion. I’d love for there to be a happy community of Hokuto fans, and I’m more than happy to put in the work if y’all wanna see it. This is what I do for fun, after all!

iloveyou

I love y’all :sunny:

(donut media reference)

8 Likes

Ayy, Donut Media gang
Also, Axuma is a great rival to Rakuda, Harada’s premium/luxury brand, guess we’ve got a match with Axuma, Rakuda, and oh, is Auxuras in @Starfish94?

1 Like

I think some classics are in order! :wink:

4 Likes

7 Likes

From what I can see… :weary::ok_hand:

Also bokeh/10

2 Likes

Thank you :tired_face:

I may be able to show it off sooner than I thought, quality and quantity… school just got canceled :v:t2:

2 Likes

you lucky little

No snow yet in Connecticut this year. One storm last year.

Down the 90’s hole. More soon!

4 Likes

The Fiasco’s name may well have been quite ironic if it had sold and performed well enough… But it’s still one of the better looking 90s SUVs I’ve seen on the forums.

1 Like

It did sell and perform well (it’s an adorable thing and bounds across hills like no other), but you’ll soon learn why I liked the Fiasco name so much hehe

ain’t no valley low enough

Hokuto Fiasco

The Hokuto Fiasco was a midsize sport utility vehicle (SUV) manufactured by Hokuto from 1992 until 2001. The SUV lasted for a total of two generations, and was one of the first of the trend of SUVs.
Primarily aimed at the North American market, the Fiasco was the first SUV from Hokuto and featured an on-demand AWD system. Fiascos were manufactured in the Koriyama, Japan factory. The first generation was released in April 1992 as a 1993 model.

First generation (1993-1997)

The first generation Fiasco made its debut in 1992 at the North American International Auto Show. It was a midsize 5-passenger SUV meant to compete with the likes of the Ford Explorer, Honda Passport and Chevy S-10 Blazer.

Powertrain
Under the hood of every Fiasco sat a CR32E, a 3.2L SOHC V6 that developed 200 horsepower and 199 lb-ft of torque. The CR engine is made entirely of aluminium alloy and utilized cast internals. Pistons were made from low friction cast to aid fuel economy, but despite their attempts, the Fiasco could only score a maximum of 16.5 MPG (US). Considering the time period, large tires, short gearing and the competition, this figure was enough to coax many people into buying a Fiasco instead of something else.
The 425LE 4-speed automatic was used, but if you opted, a 5-speed manual was also available. The 425LE was later known for poor reliability, and 5-speed models as a result command a higher price on the used market. There were no major issues with the engine.

Trim levels
The Fiasco represented a large step for Hokuto’s trim level naming strategy. In an effort to simplify the names and make shopping easier, it was divided into two different levels: CL and CX. Whether you opted for RWD or AWD added either a 2 or a 4 respectively.

CL2 and CL4 models came with standard interior equipment and offered an FM/AM radio as standard. A cassette player was optional. Braking was done through 2-piston solid discs, which could be upgraded to ventilated discs as a dealer installed option. CL models can be told apart by their plastic bumper cladding and the wheel options available.

Above: a white 1993 Fiasco CL2

CX2 and CX4 models upgraded to standard leather interior and an FM/AM Infiniti stereo with cassette player. The vented disc brakes came standard. Aesthetically, the CX models offered chrome bumper trim and alloy wheels.

Above: bROWN 1995 Fiasco CX4

Reliability concerns, rust and lawsuits

Subframe rust problems
During the middle of 2004, Hokuto issued a recall on 1993-1997 model year Fiascos regarding rust problems of the front subframe. This recall involved over 500,000 Fiascos worldwide. In some cases, vehicles were inspected by dealers and found to be unsafe to drive. The dealers refused to let the owners take their vehicles without signing an affidavit that they had been informed that Hokuto had declared their vehicles unsafe to drive.

Front subframes were found to have not been galvanized properly during manufacture, leading to excess rust on this part. The engine mounts attached, in consequence, would sometimes fall out. This led to the near-death of 4 people in Ohio, who later filed a lawsuit against Hokuto Heavy Industries US and began the investigation into rusting subframes.

Transmission problems
Transmission reliability has also become a concern with the early Fiascos. The 425LE automatic transmission in all model years had serious problems with transmission durability. Hokuto spokesman Adam Koga stated that four-speed models were afflicted with a bad bearing that could break apart, scattering fragments of metal that clogged fluid passageways in the transmission, causing it to shift erratically and ultimately grenade itself.
The reasoning behind these issues were relatively simple. The design was made in-house by Hokuto, like most of their transmissions, but the 425LE used in the Fiasco had its roots in the early 70s with the 3-speed auto used in various RWD sedans. In 1988, they added an overdrive to accommodate modern markets and various models. This design turned out to have gone wrong, as stated above with the bearings that could break apart and destroy the inner workings of the transmission bellhousing.

Now despite the whole rust fiasco (haha joke!) I really do love the way this thing turned out… it looks so happy! And it really is competitive within the segment, this thing scores 120+ in family and sport utility segments. It’s also reasonably quick in BeamNG and it’s really fun to tackle dirt in. Nearly 13 inches of ground clearance help with that.

15 Likes