Hot hatches thread

1989-94 IP COLIBRI 1800 GTX

Since the Colibri Turbo didn’t really rose the market, IP tried a new approach with the fourth generation Colibri. The 1.5 litre turbo was dropped, replaced with a more refined 1.8 litre N/A 12 valve, and most of the “boy racer” look was left out. Yet, it proved to be another lukewarm seller. The fourth generation Colibri recieved criticism already as new for feeling old-fashioned and looking bland, and towards the mid 90s safety started to become a selling point even for small cars, where the Colibri could not compete with more modern designs. To make it worse, a modest power output from a N/A 12 valve left the GTX model behind the competition that had started to crank out decent power from better 16 valve turbo designs.

Specs:
Steel panels, steel monocoque chassis
Mc Pherson strut front suspension, torsion beam rear axle

1808 cc N/A SOHC 3V inline 4
116 hp @6000 RPM
116 lb/ft @4200 RPM
Rev limit @6500 RPM
Compression 10.4:1
Multi point single EFI
Short cast headers, 50.8 mm single exhaust

5 speed manual transmission, FWD
Open differential
185/60R14 tyres
Solid 2 piston front brakes, solid 1-piston rear
Passive anti-roll bars

4 seats (2 front, 2 rear)
Standard equipment includes fog lights, tape player, full instrumentation, contoured bucket seats, leather sports steering wheel, glass sunroof

Weight: 1003 kg
0-62 mph in 8.7 seconds
Top speed 125 mph
26.8 mpg (UK)
Approximate cost $17400 (in todays money)

7 Likes

I also would like to srink a Forester into a hatchback.

I think you mean Outback?

Funny, I didn’t think Outback at all when I made it but now I see how terribly similar they are to each other…

Oh, well, this is older so Subaru is the copycat anyway. :wink:

3 Likes

Goddamit, I need to sleep. Yes that one.

3 Likes

Here’s my latest classic build, the 1979 HMC Type 93 GT-

Steel monocoque with steel panels
Macpherson Strut front, semi trailing arm rear

1655cc SOHC 2V I4
Compression 9.9:1
Mechanical fuel injection
Tubular headers
38mm single exhaust
Rev limit @6200rpm
96hp @5700rpm
104lb/ft @3500rpm

RWD
5-speed manual transmission
Locking diff
185/65R13 tyres all round
Solid disc brakes front, drums rear
5 seats
Standard equipment includes 8-track, vinyl trim

0-62mph in 10s
Top speed 108mph
33.5mpg
Approximate cost $16100

4 Likes

So, I kinda did another one.

1995 Ishu Vyrada
Turbo GT, 5-Door

This car really wasn’t intended (I built its shitbox brother the other day, tested it in BeamNG, and found that it had no right to sound as good as it did, so I had to make this one), but I had fun building it.

I know, it’s not exactly a hot hatch, but it is a hatchback body and it’s making reasonable power from that little 1.6L I4.

I use a lot of mods from the Workshop, so, if you download this and it looks like things are missing, you’re probably missing a mod. Sadly, if that’s the case, I won’t likely be able to help you find which one, because honestly, I don’t know where half of the parts came from.

Ishu_Vyrada_-_GT_Turbo.car (89.5 KB)

Also, if anyone’s wondering about the name, “Ishu” has long been my crap-car company, and is pronounced exactly like “Issue,” as in, “My Ishu has issues.” The name of the car, “Vyrada,” is actually from a language I’ve created for a story I’m writing that, well, is a very long way off from being done, but it translates out to “Violent Wind,” or “Storm.”

The car is kinda fun to drive, for a FWD hatchback.

5 Likes

Ultra cool, me likey. I’ve also been trying to make my first language for some time now.

2 Likes

Here’s my latest build, a remake of one of my first cars actually. The 2019 Nomina H1 RTS.
Engine specs-

• 2493cc DOHC 5V i5, full AlSi block and forged internals
  • 10.7:1 compression
  • Single ball bearing turbo, 65mm turbine and 64mm compressor
  • Direct injection per cylinder
  • 13.9 fuel mixture
  • Short cast 82.5mm single exhaust
  • 8400rpm redline

Other info-

• Aluminium body, partial aluminium panels
  • Double wishbone front suspension, multilink rear
  • Transverse AWD, 50/50
  • 7-speed DCT
  • Viscous LSD
  • 245/35R20 tyres all round, alloy wheels
  • Carbon ceramic 2-piston front brakes, vented 2-piston discs rear
  • Partial undertray
  • 5 seats
  • Standard equipment includes ESC, launch control, leather seats, full infotainment, variable PAS
  • Progressive springs
  • Mono-tube dampers
  • Semi-active anti-roll bars

Stats-

• 1767kg (53/47 split)
  • 358hp at 7800rpm
  • 277lb/ft at 4800rpm
  • 0-60mph in 4.6s
  • Top speed 178mph (limited to 155)
  • Approximate cost $46800
  • 33.1mpg
5 Likes

Since a dead thread has been brought back to life, here’s an XR2

10 Likes

Since you guys like spicy hatches here.

3 Likes
Cabrera Fulgor COPA

Specs
  • 2 liter 4 cylinder turbo engine ( 240hp at 6300 rpm)
  • Fully independent suspension front (McPherson) and rear (Semi Trailing)
  • 6 speed manual with AWD
  • 0/100 in 6.7s
  • 7.6L/100km
7 Likes

Ohhh it’s hot in here!!! I got a hatch I will present here shortly. I just want to know that with all these submitted cars in here, is there a hot hatch comparison anywhere? Anyone doing road test to compare?

Who is the hot hatch king?.. or queen?

2 Likes

We don’t have any competitions going on currently, because I wanted to keep this thread pretty casual and there are such a variety of submissions that it simply wouldn’t be fair to compare some of them. That is a possibility for the future, though- if I decide to do a challenge, it will be posted here.

2 Likes

With all these submissions in this one thread, comparison test would be the icing on the cake honestly. Yeah its cool to design vehicles from scratch and drive them, but take it to the next level. I’ve seen some of the ficticious magazine reviews on this site and those are amazing ideas. And you mentioned variety. I’d say variety is a GOOD thing because you can have different categories, makes it more interesting. It doesnt even have to be a challenge, just round up a group of hot hatches(or regular hatches) every few months, drive them back 2 back and find winners and losers. Even if you dont do it, someone should.

2 Likes

2012 Kestrel Racing Vistaria 160R
1.6L DOHC-4 inline-6
VVT all cams/VVL profile 100
Per Cylinder Direct Injection
Compression 12.6:1
214hp @8600RPM
134lb-ft @7700RPM
Redline @9800RPM

Transverse Front Engine RWD
Automation Test Track 2:24.64
0-60 6.8 seconds
top speed 155mph

4 Likes

Que?
Also, the engine is one big “what”. But I like the styling.

3 Likes

AWD with distribution 100% to the back :wink:

It took me a loooooooooooong time to tune it to that level, and it sounds amazing.

The back is much more simple and less over the top.

1 Like

Okay, the whole drivetrain is WTF :smile:

1 Like

Yeah, at least it has a manual :joy:

Introducing our entry into the plenty crowded hot hatch segment…

The Wells DRIV GT, packing a 296hp 2.0t i4 this hatch has one thing on its mind…FUN!!

The DRIV GT was designed purely for enthusiast, and not the faint of heart. Power is routed to the front wheels through our house designed 6spd manual transmission, all aluminum block, coming in at a very nimble 2651lbs and double wishbone suspension at the front and rear…corners beware.

For 65k you too can rule the streets and the track, It’s time to bring excitement back.

2 Likes