Hot hatches thread

481hp?! Jeez, that’s a lot of power for a hatchback! Not complaining, though, I love this thing

2 Likes

That’s sorta what I’m going for with SMT, they’re very much on the sporty side. Though this is a BMW 3-Series knock o- competitor, so it is a bit bigger. The top end RS7 and accompanying RS8 have a 776bhp 6.0l V10 waiting for them when I get around to those

2 Likes
1982 - Chambord Eve XR

This is one of my greatest creations I have ever done in Automation so far, I'm so proud of this car, and I can't tell in words how I feel. I made this for a challenge in the discord server of 'Automation Brazil' (nothing official, just me and some guys trying to unite the Brazilian community). Something that @Arvok1 has arranged. The challenge consists of the beginning of the hot hatches, and I came up with this and beat it up the competition of 5 cars.

The engine is a 1.8L inline 4 turbo that generates 171HP and 202Nm of torque. It does 0 - 100 in almost 7s. It is a beast for its time and limits that were put up. It might look simple, easier to do, etc, but for me... It's really something

More Pictures

Eve_-_XR.car (125.4 KB)

19 Likes

That’s a really solid looking car, not too over the top but something that could really have been made in the 80’s

3 Likes

2003 Courageux Trois GT s1600

This generation of Trois was released in 1996 with a facelift in 2002. The GT was available only for 2003 to homologate the car for s1600 rally competitions.
The engine was a bored out version of the standard 1.5 taken to 1640cc as the maximum allowed for s1600. The pistons and conrods are forged, the intake is a tuned performance variant and the standard cast manifold is swapped for a tubular manifold. This work means the engine makes 132bhp@6800 rpm.

The front brakes are 275mm vented discs from the Quinze and the rear brakes are 240mm solid discs, with a more aggressive pad material than standard.
The wheels are 16" white alloys with 215/50R16 fast road tyres.

The GT has the same bodykit as the GT-T with the front fog lights removed for ventilation.
The suspension is lowered with racing style single tube shock absorbers and stiffer front anti-roll bar.

11 Likes

The 2009 Satakunnan Motortehdäs (SMT) RS123 CityCoupe. 2.3L Turbo i5 producing 322bhp, with power sent through a 6-Speed manual to a Balanced AWD setup (54R46F- the inverse of the weight distribution) and a 155mph limited top speed (Geared for 158mph, theoretically capable of 197mph). It is the premium hot hatch of 2009. Availible in stunning Blackblood Pearl.

2 Likes

This is the 1997 ARZ 100 BMS. Disclaimer: the engine is turbocharged but based on a cheap naturally-aspirated unit, hence 8V and the compression.

Specs:

• Steel body + galvanised monocoque chassis
  • Macpherson strut front suspension, torsion beam rear
  • Transverse FWD 1650cc SOHC 2V i4, aluminium block + cast head
  • Cast internals
  • 9.9:1 compression, VVT
  • Single ball-bearing turbo, 64mm compressor, 65.5mm turbine
  • Single multi-point EFI
  • Cast single exhaust, 57mm diameter
  • 6-speed manual gearbox
  • Viscous LSD
  • 175/60R15 tyres all round, alloy wheels
  • Vented disc brakes front, solid discs rear
  • Partial undertray
  • 5 seats, standard equipment includes radio/cassette, digital clock, air con, 1 airbag, PAS, ABS, traction control
  • Progressive springs, mono-tube dampers

Stats-

• 1044kg (60/40 split)
  • 3.85m long
  • 131hp at 6300rpm, 115lb/ft at 5800rpm, redline at 6900
  • 0-60mph in 8.1s, top speed 135mph
  • 31.3mpg
  • Approximate cost $15800
1 Like

That’s not very realistic, is it? It should be the other way around (cast iron block with alloy heads). An alloy block with an iron head feels wrong in my opinion - I cannot remember any real-life cars with such an odd mix of engine materials, with one exception: the Chevrolet Vega. Then again, its revolutionary promise was undone by GM cutting costs where they shouldn’t have, but even so, if you want to mix iron and aluminum on an engine, you should use the former for the block, and the latter for the heads.

2 Likes

I think it’s even reflected in reliability, with alu block, iron head being the least reliable combo. Also that turbine seems way oversized for a rather small engine, it might be even limiting the power. And while the detail about being based on a cheap N/A variant is really nice, changing the compression is also quite easy. But even more important would be switching the injection to MPI - I’m pretty sure that only really cheap cars used SPI by 1997, definitely not sporty ones, which is in turn quite the opposite for VVT (I know it’s cheap, but that’s more min-maxy than realistic).

Correction: the spec sheet states that it does have MPI, but with only one throttle body.

Also, what type (compound) of tyres are those? I’m expecting them to be medium compound all-season tires.

In more powerful performance cars, it would make more sense, but it seems like overkill in a car of this type, size and era with just 131 horsepower.

Last but not least, what kind of power steering does it have? If it is hydraulic, is it of the variable type? And I’m assuming that it has passive sway bars.

What if there was a Hot Hatch the size of a 5-Series. Well here it is, the SMT RS546 Shooting Brake. With a 4.6l FP TT V8 pushing 561bhp to all 4 wheels, with a balance inverse to the weight distribution for a balanced driving experience. It can do 192mph, and it gets to 60 in just 3.8 seconds.
that’s what a Hot Hatch the size of a 5-Series can be.

3 Likes

Did you post a shorter version of this a few days ago or is this the same one?

I like the side view…looks nice👍🏿

The one I posted before was smaller, roughly 1-Series size, rather than 5-Series size. I’ve had people think I repost the same car in the Automation Discord so you’re not the first, but I never do, I just aim to create a good family cohesiveness in my lineups.

2 Likes

I think that’s crossing the line between “cohesive” and “indistinguishable”.

4 Likes

Lol😆

No worries man, I thought I was goin crazy for a second there. I like the side view on the this longer version for sure :ok_hand:.

6 Likes

She’s green. She’s ugly.
She’s short and chubby.
And that makes her angry!
Codex Goblin
Being mean can be funny…

Engine:
2236 cc OHV 2V N/A Inline 6
171 hp/ 6900 rpm
213 Nm/ 5000 rpm
Redline: 7000 rpm

Drivetrain:
Front transverse AWD DCT

Weight:
1082 kg (56%F/44%R)

Top Speed: 236 km/h
0-100 km/h: 6.07 s

Not the prettiest, nor the fastest, but definively the most fun I squeezed out of a car yet :slight_smile:

CodeX_Goblin_-2021(DCT).car (32.7 KB)

2 Likes

hmm… whole lot of interesting design choices going on there…

Oh, I have a car for this. It’s quite old now. This was June last year, and it was a hot hatch version of a crossover that was made for CSC.

Looking at it now, it could certainly use some improvements and a bit better flow, instead of a gaping front area, but there we go.

the crossover one

12 Likes