Hot Lap Challenge HLC round 7: wnb V8 SUPERCARS 15.11.2016, 12.00 (noon) CET

i will say may car did well for all of 10 mins of building. i lost my original somehow

=====================================================================================
HLC round 6: Post oil crisis land yachts or The mighty malaise meetup

[hide=Backstory:]It’s a American thing, the malaise era was the period following the oil crisis where fuel economy and emissions first became issues that car makers had to address. The leaded gas switch happened at the same time so car makers were forced to quickly retrofit existing big displacement engines from the 60’s to run on lower octane unleaded gas, they were limited in cam aggression by the CAFE fuel economy standards and the engines as a whole were choked from retrofitting exhaust gas recirculation and smog pumps to met tailpipe emissions. It’s generally referred to as the malaise era due to the extremely low power made by the engines at the time.[/hide]
@nialloftara’s rules are:

• Trim Years: 1973-1983
  • Wheelbase: minimum 2.5 meters
  • Engine displacement: minimum 5651cc
  • Emissions (in overview tab) below 1300
  • Fuel low quality unleaded
  • Comfort of 25+
  • Safety of 30+
  • Overall reliability greater than 50
  • Budget: @0% 30,000
  • No quality sliders! (Champs pick)

==============================
When submitting, name your cars like:
Model Design: HLC(what round it is) your user name
Model Trim: your company name and car name
Engine Family: HLC(what round it is) your user name
Engine Trim: your engine name
==>And add an overview tab screenshot!

Deadline: 6.11.2016, 12.00 (noon) CET
==> If you submit in last 24h, I do not guarantee revision option!

Tracks:
Green hell
Wangan
Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca

Enjoy :slight_smile:

3 Likes

PM sent with rules and tracks

So we’re building luxobarges? Why are we tuning them to be good around a track? :confused:

Are this retorical questions? I hope they are :sweat_smile:

second one isn’t

like, why try to autocross a 5.6L beast from 1983 (best case scenario)? It’ll be heavy and sketch as [spoiler]fuuuuuuuuck[/spoiler]

That’s why. :wink:

The answers are two, you can choose your favourite:
a) Because why not.
b) Because we can.

5 Likes

right, time to build the longest car with the biggest motor possible

1 Like

I have a car I built a while back, as one of my stock cars, which has a wheelbase of 3.25M and a 14.3L V12. If I reduce the cost of it, by a huge margin, then I think I can use it as a base.

Low quality fuel should make things interesting.

Especially since quality must be set at 0 for every part of the car and its engine.

Presenting the 1983 Bogliq Ambassador!!! (As tuned by an avatar of me, lol)

Michael was a car enthusiast. Scratch that; Michael was a SPEED enthusiast who had the need for speed but not much cash…

When his brother, who was a rich lawyer for mobsters, gave Michael his old Ambassador due to his brother buying a brand new 2016 model, then Michael saw his chance!

Michael found out the rules for his local “Run what ya brung” car club racing event were then he set out to make his land yacht a circuit racing star!

Since Bogliq tended to use parts interchangeably on their various models and, since Bogliq wasn’t very prestigious, the parts Michael needed were cheap and plentiful at his local wreckers.

The 5.7L, flatplane V8 was used overseas in sportscars, such as the Ungoliant, so Michael ordered a set of DOHC, 4v heads off the internet. He also found out that the MPFI system that came standard on the 83 model was compatible with the DOHC heads so, since the local long stroke V8 didn’t need better breathing, he installed a bellmouth and panty-hose as his intake filter. To maximise the exhaust flow while staying legal, some sweet race headers from a parted out Belfast were his next port of call and he installed a 3 way cat from a 90’s Haulage due to the larger diameter over the stock Ambassador unit…

Once Michael got the engine rebuilt using quality aftermarket forged internals, he then got the engine tuned for the crappy, homebrewed, control 80RON fuel. Just under 180Kw wasn’t much, but Michael knew that tyre fitment was limited on the 83 Ambassadors so lots of power would have proven problematic on skinny tyres!

A mid 80’s Coyote was raided for it’s 5 speed 'box and pedal cluster (and the instrument cluster as well) and it’s Torsen LSD was installed in the Ambassador’s diff, just to make sure the old gal behaved. Michael knew a guy who knew a girl who could get semi slick race tyres in the size he needed and a Fox donated a set of lightweight Magnesium rims to trim some weight. The interior was stripped and the rear seat removed and Michael also downgraded the stereo but, since his Ambassador was also his daily and tuned for 91RON, he didn’t delete the tunes altogether!

Michael was surprised when he took the beast to a friday night drag meet (and shakedown). 6.2 sec’s to 100Km/h and a 14.58 quarter mile wasn’t too bad considering what the car was built for, so Michael was confident that he would do well come race day…

Buy better, buy Bogliq

5 Likes

Presenting the Scarab Eruption GT (as tuned by a streetracer)

Starting with the steel monocoque and glass-fiber panel chassis the Eruption GT is a streetracers dream. Lifting out the straigt 6 and putting in an aluminium race V8 fitted with new heads and twin turbos is a tight fit, but manageable. To get all that power to the road, an AWD rally transmission and gearbox is a must. Topping it off with some aerodynamics and fitting semi-slicks on the wheels gives the grip needed to stay there.

3 Likes

LVC-yacht

every garage’s nightmare

5 Likes

Although barely meeting any safety and enviromental standards, the Latan Savior was lauded for its powerful 7.6 liter V8 engine and sporty looks. That was not enough to save it from being a giant sales flop, mainly explained by the high entry price, ridiculous fuel consumption and very low quality all around. As the years have passed the second hand market has been growing stronger, unfortunately the rust issues mean there are very few examples left in pristine condition, if you happen to find one and do not care for soft-touch materials and refinement, buy it now! it`s a performance bargain.

3 Likes

The OMG - C6H is a designer’s jumbled confusion spewed onto a table and brought to life using leftovers found around the OMG storehouse. It has an 11.8L V12, which was used in an old backup generator and had to be substantially modified to meet emissions requirements. We used some double wishbone suspension parts salvaged from an experimental military vehicle that was built for private exhibition but failed to receive a contract for mass production. The wheels were also from that same military vehicle but we only used the molds which were a massive 19" in diameter and cast them in magnesium instead of steel. We then cut out the wheel wells and fitted 305mm wide tires on all four corners. We also manage to find a couple premium seats from a prototype 70’s car which was never produced thanks to a disgruntled engineer who started a fire over his missing lunch. We even managed to scrounge up a basic 8 Track radio unit and hooked it up to an in-dash speaker.

5 Likes

2 days to go, only 5 cars (look above) in so far. Today I’ll go through this pack and let you know if there are any problems. Whoever wins next rounds and maybe do not have a rule set idea, I have one and hope it will bring more players back into HLC.

4 Likes

Mine is coming today :wink:

2 Likes

Apparently it’s not. Deadline is here, 7 cars are in and times are already done. When I find extra hour or so I’ll do the pictures and blurbs. So far only 3 things can be said: I’m never doing Wangan again (it’s soo long => some cars take up to 18min to finish, so it’s time is too op and also it take ages for my old horse to process it), you are so far off the pace of the pace car that it’s not even funny and there is tight battle for 3. place.

3 Likes