How do I make a mod

So I want to make a mod, but I don’t know the extension I should use. What file extensions does automation take, and what is the best software for making car bodies?

AFAIK the only possible software is 3DS Max 2013. And you’ll need some extension/converter or sth like that, but better ask modders about it (Razyx, Carlover, Corvette, Felgen, Pyrlix…).

3ds Max is the only software that can be used for it, and the current file format can only be exported from versions 2011-2013, which are not available anymore. With the switch to Unreal 4 it should be possible to export into the game without an additional exporter, allowing for newer versions to be used.

Could still be worth to get 3ds Max and play around with it to get something working. As far as using 3ds Max itself to make car bodies, you can find tutorials on YouTube, and for the specifics about cars that go into Automation, there’s a couple of threads about it by the developers.

From what I was reading it needs to be 32-bit OS, as the exporter won’t work with a 64-bit OS.

It simply needs to be 3ds Max 2011-2013 32-bit, nothing to do with the operating system, but they’re not available anymore.

Well, I have a 64-bit OS and I have 32-bit 3DS Max, 3DS Max won’t install on my 64-Bit OS. It tells me I have to install the 64-Bit 3DS. Also the exporter tool won’t work on a 64-bit OS.

That’s strange, since I had no problem with it. I ran into compatibility issues when I got a new laptop with Windows 10 where it would install fine but then never be able to launch, so I’m using the 2016 version now and sending my meshes to someone with 3ds Max 2013 to do the exporting.

Yes, I remember you asking if that would work, I read the whole conversation. I had to give up on trying to make my logo, have 7 different computers, some Win 10 some Win 7 but all of them are 64-bit. I could get nowhere short of running a 32-bit virtual machine, but that was tedious and slow.

Here is one of the old tutorials, maybe you guys can get it to work better than I did. Modding Tutorial 1 - Making Grilles

That’s strange, we were using 3ds Max 2013 32bit on 64bit Windows 7 and 10 for ages.

Really? I’ll try installing it again.

Also, @Daffyflyer, where can I find the Kajira Exporter now? The old links don’t work anymore.

KajiraExporters.zip (318.0 KB)

Right here. Good thing I still have the download.

1 Like

That’s 3ds Max Design, rather than the regular 3ds Max. Maybe that’s the issue?

After doing some research, it appears that my problem is with the installation of the c++ redistributable install package and I’m being cut off before I even get a chance to install 3ds. Funny thing is, I already have the 2005 x64 package installed.

Update: I managed to get the 32-bit to install correctly. I had to clean out the Windows Transaction Log.
Thanks for everyone’s help, and sorry for hijacking your thread @CNCharger.