IkaMagic Motor Organisation

The IkaMagic Motoring Organisation: Be Like Water.

This is my attempt at a more chronological line-up while at the same time learning different elements and car designs from the contemporary periods of the 1970s and beyond, making them fit into these respective times. I encourage constructive feedback so that I can learn how to better my car designs and make them even better next time. Thank you!

Also I forgot to mention that I wanna thank @Aruna for helping me make the preliminary design for my logo.

The Beginning of a Legacy:

The IkaMagic motoring brand started in the early half of mid-1971, the company itself being the brainchild of a former Japanese stockbroker named Hiroshi Ikazaki while wandering around the metropolitan district of Tokyo as a break from getting a taxi at age 31. Having saved up a nest egg of money from his work as a salaryman, he called in tomorrow to retire and use his considerable amount of capital that he had earned from his job to make a car manufacturing company that concentrates on the things he saw that fateful day.

He had analysed other cars as well, noticing that many of the cars in the city have a common trend: Either they are small and economical, or highly luxurious cars that show off status. This given a brainwave to the budding car manufacturer that crossed the two together to form a rather small car that also combines elements of luxury. Another inspiration learnt from a business trip to Europe half a year ago was to make something that also was sporty in the sense of having the engine and the drive in the rear, making for a car that not only feels fun to drive but also has a sense of prestige from the looks.

Drawing up the inspiration that he had, he established IkaMagic on April 25th of 1971, beginning to manufacture the car that he had drawn up from experimental sketches and to be produced in limited numbers.

IkaMagic’s First Rolls Out: The PL-First (1971-1976)

The car itself has been deemed a class that Ikazaki himself refers to as a Petit-Luxe car, combining the small form factor of the city car yet differentiating it in a way that makes it stand out as a car that shows status compared to the rest. The first car to be made is the PL-First, a car that was said to “bottle style and nimbleness into a distinct character”. Such car was invented to compete with the likes of contemporary cars that were considered ‘beautiful’ by popular media and to make a hidden gem that customers can actually enjoy.

Thus, the PL-First was born. This car not only looks the part amongst its contemporaries, but it also has the much-needed performance that Ikazaki was seeking with a car like this. The car itself has received a bit of buzz when first announced, but many people had remained sceptical of the little convertible, thinking that the odds of it ever being made are nigh on impossible. However, the car had made its way to production in late 1971, birthing the very limited car into the competitive market of sports cruisers. With production of the facility resorting to meticulous quality and inspection, there were only 50 of them produced every year, a true testament to wanting to ensure that every car they release comes to the customer to a standard that they feel proud of.

Once the car was released into production, the media had picked up of such a thing, being wowed with the many features that it had packed itself in compared with other cars of its age. The interior was described as ‘being in a limousine’, the AM radio providing superior audio quality due to getting licensing rights from Riviera Acoustics, known for being highly renowned for their radio equipment. Safety was also a priority, providing advanced contemporary safety to the front and side to increase chances of survivability for the driver.

Not only did it pack the prestigious luxury of the grand sedans of its time, but it also had the sporty looks and engine to show itself off for the convertible sports car class. It also packed a 3,300cc inline-6 engine at the rear that drives the rear wheels, packing 230HP into a steel body adorned with light aluminium. This level of punch means that it has a maximum speed of 148mph when tested. Such speed meant that it was able to be treated close to a supercar, the luxury of it also helping to sway that classification into its favour.

When people had first heard of this car, they were awestruck to see this kind of car being made, with such meticulous care being put into every detail of the body and the interior. Such a small car packing the features of a sedan with large stature is rarely heard of in Japan, especially when regular citizens are thinking of saving money! But when it was shown to the public during the 1971 Tokyo Motor Show, not only the Japanese were left staring at it, but also everyone else!

The car was also retailed to be sold for $56k at the time, suiting the luxury bill for such a machine. It came in a choice of four colours:

Colours%20Car%201

Orders have sold out within the first month, making delivery much harder for the company. 15 units sold to European customers, while 25 were sold to the Japanese, and 10 to Americans. It took them 11 months to get the cars manufactured while carefully making sure that everyone gets the same quality for each vehicle sent out. More and more customers have shown interest over time, but 50 units could still only be produced to get them sent out in time for their customers. It is one of IkaMagic’s rarest and most memorable machines of their early years, with them only appreciating in value with each passing year. It was a car that either meant success or failure, and despite its scarcity, it became an instant cult-classic.

Specifications:
Engine: Aluminium 3,300cc Inline 6 block, forged steel internals, Rear-Longitudinal position, 229HP@6000RPM (Redline). Dual Overhead Cam, 24-valve. 4-barrel performance twin carburettor.
Body and Frame: Corrosion-resistant-steel monocoque, Aluminium panel body, semi-clad downforce undertray.
Drive: Rear-wheel.
Gearbox: Manual 5-speed, open differential.
Running Gear: Double wishbone front and rear hydro-pneumatic suspension, 155/200 14-inch mesh alloy wheels on medium compound radial tyres. Solid disc brakes on both sides, 50/50 brake bias.
Weight: 1070KG.
Interior: Hand-made leather seats, luxury Riviera Acoustics 8-track player/AM Radio, leather steering wheel, leather and mahogany dashboard and door trim.

9 Likes

Welcome soldier. Can’t wait to see what other cars come out of this.

Progress might be slow, but I feel kinda psyched to see what kind of cars I’ll make as well. I’m also excited to see what the future would hold for my little IkaMagic thread. I already have some cars planning to fill in some of the different years, but I may feel like enhancing them a little more before putting them on there. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Well if you have some cars that fit in the year 1963 than you can unveil them at Historical Car Shows #1 - 1963 Frankfurt Auto Show

Sadly IkaMagic only started in 1971, so they cannot participate. Maybe I can think of one of that European French-inspired car company that I am making cars with (the car in my profile banner being an example) could participate if I can get some time in.

Oh. Well good luck.

The Great Leap Forward for IkaMagic: (1976-1984)

After the substantial success that was demonstrated by the PL-First, IkaMagic were seeking to begin taking on the national market in a larger way. Their first investment was to acquire a manufacturing factory that they can use to begin mass-production of multiple vehicles at once while continuing to thoroughly scrutinise their machinery to provide as high of a quality as they can to their customers. They also acquired a small dealership network where they can start to display their new cars to the public.

With the range that they plan on during the 1976-1984 time period, they wanted to ensure a balance between vehicles that can be deemed affordable and also making cars that would help to meet the needs of everyone. This meant a balanced range was in the cards for the current management of IkaMagic, still being led on by Ikazaki.

With the acquirement of a factory and their plans set out for that time period, they have planned to make a larger name for themselves through making themselves become recognisable and distinct. Their range has started to implement motifs through naming, naming their vehicles based upon various marine life. They became more organised and they became brave and ready with their plans, confidence brimming the air of the manufacturing facility of IkaMagic and their offices.

The IkaMagic Pike: Spirit of Youth (1976-1981)

The aim of the Pike was to make a car that had emanated style throughout its exterior and interior while at the same time, it was aimed to be more appealing to the average younger demographics than the older and more luxury-seeking driver unlike the PL-First. The car was intended to “look and feel youthful, providing a magical experience for any young driver”. They set out to make this an appealing first car for the young driver, their most important notes for making this particular car appealing is via making the car look as fun as they can for their target audience.

The Pike had the look of a latter-70s car at the front while mixing with the earlier half of the 70s at the back, making it look charming and quirky in its own unique way. The help of making the design focused in this way was said to make it look appealing to the youth as a sporty car that they could proudly take care of. Due to the focus of affordability, the car may lack the features of the PL-First, but then again the Pike was not intended to be a luxury vehicle.

When the Pike first hit the market in the latter part of mid-1976, it was released with a special trim package that was limited to the first 750 cars sold. This package was named the Premiere package, and it had a more upmarket look (reflected by the small increase in price). The trim was all chrome, and it included alloy rims as standard. It also featured vented discs in the front and solid discs in the back, which increased the price as well. The Premiere package sold for $14000, while the standard Pike sold for $13750 (with all solid discs instead of vented discs and plastic trim). The interior was also simple, yet it had a premium feel with a leather interior that also came with a market-standard 8-track player that also doubled as an AM radio.

The engine itself also reflects the car being intended for affordability, like most contemporaries as well. However, the sporty feel was also given off by the car due to it having a 1,698cc inline-4 engine that outputs around 123HP into the same drive layout as the PL-First. However, the car feels a lot heavier due to it being all made with corrosion-resistant steel. The car also only produces 103mph when tested, meaning that it performs rather average for a car of its time.

Many people wondered where were IkaMagic going by making a car that their former purchasers would deem to be so “undesirable”. But IkaMagic still had firm hopes that their target market were going to buy the Pike as a first car. However, the Pike also had piqued interest from a community that wanted a car that was fun and agile. This car had fit the bill rather well, giving IkaMagic’s Pike a new market that also helped sell it as a car to enjoy winding and open roads. This meant a sudden increase in sales after potential customers realised that the car was “a blast to drive around winding mountain roads”.

Unlike the PL-First, the Pike came in a choice of seven colours, mass-production allowing them to benefit from having such a range without losing much time.

All-in-all, the Pike might not have sold as much to their original market, but the sudden interest from people that had looked for a nimble vehicle had really given it a status of a hidden gem. It may have not achieved as much memorability as the PL-First, but it certainly holds up as a car that can stand the test of time for an experience that helps to put a smile on a driver’s face.

Specifications:
Engine: Aluminium 1,700cc Inline 4 block, forged steel internals, Rear-Longitudinal position, 123HP@7000RPM (Redline). Dual Overhead Cam, 16-valve, Single Mechanical Fuel Injection.
Body and Frame: Corrosion-resistant-steel monocoque and panels, no undertray.
Gearbox: Manual 5-speed/Auto 4-speed, open differential.
Running Gear: Double wishbone front and rear progressive comfort-oriented suspension, 165/200 15-inch mix mesh/steely alloy wheels on medium compound radial tyres. Solid disc brakes on both sides (Vented on front for Premiere), 50/50 brake bias.
Weight: 940KG.
Interior: Premium leather seats, market-standard 8-track player/AM Radio, leather steering wheel, leather dashboard and door trim.

5 Likes

That looks amazing. Including the lighting.

Thank you. :slightly_smiling_face:
I definitely tried to make something way more unique out of the Z-body.
Might think of expanding upon the Pike at a later time by making a different generation Pike with pop-ups for the mid-1980s or early 1980s.

1 Like

If I can get the Gremlin timeline to your’s in time. I could probably lend a car over for you to re-badge and use.

Sounds nice, I’ll have a think about it.

If the PL-First got the ball rolling, then the Pike definitely established IkaMagic in the minds of enthusiasts everywhere. I would go looking for a clean, unmolested example (preferably in Light Tangerine or Navy Blue) if I had the chance, simply because it handles so well and weighs so little.

Well looking at my Generation list I made. We have

Gen3 Caldera 1970-1975

Gen2 Oregon 1967-1975

Gen2 West Virginia 1971-1977

Gen2 Louisiana 1971-1977

Gen1 and 2 Hawaii 1960-1971 and 1973-1980

Gen1 Overdrive 1975-1982

Gen1 California 1980-1990

Gen1 Idaho 1980-1985

Gen1 Washington 1971-1976

and the Gen1 Alabama 1995-2003.

Caldera (Luxury Barge)
Oregon (Luxury Compact Sedan)
West Virginia (Luxury Pickup)
Louisiana (Luxury Convertible)
Hawaii (Luxury Offroader)
Overdrive (Luxury Supercar)
California (Luxury Hypercar)
Idaho (Luxury SUV)
Washington (Luxury Fullsize)
Alabama (Luxury Crossover)

You have quite the choice if you want to accept the offer.

The California is quite the tempting prospect for the 1984-1992 boom era of IkaMagic. Maybe could tweak the design a little bit to make it appeal to the Japanese market a little or maybe upscale it for the European market (and of course give credit and some much-needed explanation to IkaMagic lore).

I’m happy with how the Pike came out, and how it got the fun characteristic down to a tee.
Definitely captures the youthful spirit when I come to think of it.

Okay. But Gremlin is just now entering it’s '60s era soooo it might be a bit.

The IkaMagic Halibut: Luxury that People can Afford (1976-1983)

The next step for IkaMagic after the Pike was to re-introduce a luxury range but they have also planned to make a car that also can be affordable to a lot of their market at the same time. Knowing that releasing another PL-series car would not be ideal for making a car that fits these criteria, they have decided to make a sedan that would focus on comfort and practicality to make sure that the customer does end up with more value for money. Thus the Halibut was born, the Premium range designed to provide luxury and prestige for an ideal car designed for light chauffeuring.

The Pike was designed to look like a car entirely future-driven in looks, wanting to capture the spirit of the early 1980s into the car so that it could stand the test of time when that era would come around. Out of all the other sedans that might be around at the time, this one stands out from the shape of the body. The sloping of the back is done in a way that makes the Halibut exude a tiny essence of sportiness at first glance, although it may not be actually that sporty compared to other much sportier cars. But even then, the Halibut more than makes up for that lack with being an ideal cruiser.

The Halibut Premium was not only designed to be comfortable and prestigious at a not too high price-tag for a vehicle that has premium equipment, but it was also designed to be practical as a chauffeur’s first choice. There are four leather seats that are designed with a premium finish in mind, the dashboard and door panels also lined with leather and wood. It also comes with a premium combination 8-track player and AM radio to add to the already existing comfort features into the vehicle. Alloy rims and disc wheels also came standard on the vehicle, with hydro-pneumatic suspension also serving to provide a smooth and even ride to the driver and passenger.

With the car being aimed at affordability and prestige at the same time, the engine in the vehicle is a low-powered 4,100cc V8. It produces 220hp at redline, the engine situated at the front and powering the rear wheels of the Halibut. Since the car has more power than the Pike and since it being a V8, the car definitely feels a lot more heavier than the other cars from the range so far, making it feel more of a luxury car. When tested for top speed, it produced 130mph when new.

This has helped IkaMagic start to get back into the good books for their customers who wanted more premium vehicles from IkaMagic, but some definitely would have wanted another PL-series vehicle. IkaMagic believed that this car is also going to sell well with people who want more of a budget luxury vehicle and also people who want to make a mark into the world of either assisting other passengers, or as a status symbol (which can definitely be shown with an interior that proved more than adequate for a car that is classified as a premium vehicle.)

The car also came with a choice of five colours. However, IkaMagic also delved into providing some cars to government officials in the Chinese market, releasing 200 units in a special Shanghai Violet colour to only be sold in this country. These cars would prove to be extremely desirable down the line, fetching for a high amount.

Therefore the Halibut has been a great choice for an entry-level luxury vehicle, especially later on in the years when examples have started to pop up on the used market. However, the quality of this car meant that any chance of getting a deal in the used market may mean paying a higher price for a car that has the ability to rival even some of the biggest luxury cars of the time regarding value and comfort.

Specifications:
Engine: Aluminium 4,100cc V8 block, forged steel internals, Front-Longitudinal position, 220HP@7000RPM (Redline). Dual Overhead Cam, 32-valve, Single Mechanical Fuel Injection.
Gearbox: Auto 4-speed, open differential.
Running Gear: Double wishbone front and rear hydro-pneumatic suspension, 180/225 alloy wheels on medium compound radial tyres. Vented disc brakes on front and solid disc for rear, 61/39 brake bias.
Weight: 1410KG.
Interior: Premium leather seats, premium 8-track player/AM Radio, leather steering wheel, leather dashboard and door trim with wooden lining.

5 Likes

The IkaMagic Nudibranch: A Style Icon (1977-1982)

After IkaMagic’s Pike and Halibut, they wanted to reintroduce the formula that had made them successful in the first place, while at the same time wanting a sports car that can definitely stick out like a sore thumb for the Japanese market. After a meeting, one of the IkaMagic designers had jokingly said “How about you design a spaceship into the form of the car?”. Some of IkaMagic’s top brass had thought of the comment and went to make a car that fits this sort of motif while looking as graceful and as elegant as possible. The car was named the Nudibranch GT, after the sea creature that was noticed for its prettiness by many.

If a person was to look at the Nudibranch GT up close, they can definitely describe it as a highly curvaceous car, its notchback design heavily reminding of people about the late 60s and early 70s more than the late 70s, but that was the key for IkaMagic’s design philosophy while undergoing the design of the Nudibranch GT. They wanted an old body to be modernised for the era, an amalgam of the smooth and elegant curves matching the boxy features of the late 70s. It oozes individuality in a market saturated with some cars that may blend in with each other, a car made to look spectacular up close or from afar.

While the Nudibranch GT has a rather high price-tag for a sports car of the time, it was made to be a luxurious and pleasant to drive cruiser, sportiness also being taken into consideration whilst it not being the distinctive feature of this car. The IkaMagic principle for this car was “A car that you can cruise comfortably and also put your foot down where it matters”, the car being packed with features to make it more prestigious for those that want a car that they can ease into after a long day. The interior is made to look sleek as well, the interior lined with black and white leather along with plush and luxurious seats, along with a premium AM player and 8 track combo that brings out sound clarity. The car also had comfort added through hydro-pneumatic suspension as featured in the Halibut, making bumpy surfaces feel butter-smooth for the occupants inside.

The beating heart of the car is a 2,800cc V6 engine situated at the rear of the car, the IkaMagic staple for a sporty car at their early years. It produces 6500RPM at redline, 203HP being its maximum power for the engine fitted inside it. Such an engine on a sporty-looking car makes the Nudibranch GT go at 134mph, which is an admirable speed for a sporty cruiser like this (although many more wanted a much higher top speed). The engine itself was also advanced, offering electrical fuel injection for the sporty little machine. This had meant reduced fuel emissions which made it appeal to people who wanted to make less of an impact.

The Nudibranch GT was also noted for having IkaMagic’s commonly-used Aero-Fins, giving the car more of the distinct IkaMagic style that people have been craving for within their sports range. And another noted thing for the car was the aptly named ‘Spaceship Doors’, giving the car more of a futuristic aesthetic with the larger window space. The looks and the prestigious features of the car had helped it sell during the car’s lifetime, garnering lots of attention from onlookers and the press when it was announced. People described it as a “Sports car with the form of a spaceship, packed to the brim with comforts”, giving owners more of a reason to sense desire for the sleek and elegant machine. It even came with gull-wing doors, a feature that certainly bumped up the car’s desirability for people looking for a car that has a charm that will turn heads for anyone that comes near it. The car itself was priced at $18000, attracting a lot of buzz for a car that was not mass-produced.

2500 units of the Nudibranch GT were produced over the lifetime (500 models a year), coming in a choice of 7 colour options (6 after 1978). Due to the rarity of the Premiere colour option, they are extremely desirable by collectors and car enthusiasts, fetching rather high prices when they have been sold at auctions (although not as much as the PL-First).

All in all, the Nudibranch GT was proven not to only be a magnificent car for the era, but also proven to be a status symbol for quite a lot of people with a design that beckons the golden age for IkaMagic’s design philosophy. A car that not only captures the essence of IkaMagic’s ambition, but captures a time where an affordable sporty car can look magnificent and rival a supercar regarding style. The car had become to many as the ‘Automotive fashion icon of 1977’, and there is no doubt why that title was passed over to it.

Specifications:
Engine: Aluminium 2,800cc V6 block, forged steel internals, Rear-Longitudinal position, 203HP@6500RPM (Redline). Dual Overhead Cam, 24-valve, Single-point Electric Fuel Injection.
Body and Frame: Corrosion-resistant-steel monocoque, aluminium panels, no undertray.
Gearbox: Manual 5-speed and Auto 4-speed, open differential.
Running Gear: Double wishbone front and rear hydro-pneumatic suspension, 185/220 alloy wheels on medium compound radial tyres. Vented disc brakes on front and solid disc for rear, 61/39 brake bias.
Weight: 1060KG.
Interior: Luxury plush leather seats, premium 8-track player/AM Radio, leather steering wheel, leather dashboard and door trim coloured black and white.

9 Likes

[This would be my last post for a while. April is going to be quite the season of crunch time for me so I gotta concentrate on other things then.]

The IkaMagic Lionfish: The Sports-Oriented GT (1978-1985)

IkaMagic had thought of another car that was more catered to a mix between luxury and making it that bit affordable for the regular person. Their project involved making a car that amalgamated a mix of design philosophies to engineer a car that can also be shown as a status symbol, while exuding an air of sportiness as it goes along the roads. The very brainchild of this decision was the Lionfish.

So what would someone think of the Lionfish when they saw it? One of the distinct features of this car was its shape that makes it rather wedge-like at the back. This whole idea of making a car with this sort of aesthetic was part of IkaMagic’s idea of making a car that can also last throughout the 1980s with a look that they thought was graceful yet simple. Something that many designers think is rather difficult to pull off. The design, with its square features mixing with some of the rounded elements of the front grille serves a rather typical mid to late 1970s design of the time, mostly inspired from European contemporary designs.

The Lionfish certainly may not be as bold as the Nudibranch GT that was hailed by many, but what also makes the car distinguishable is the fact that its a GT packing all sorts of features at a price that seems to be rather cheap for a GT car of its calibre. Such focus on affordability had helped it make an appealing choice for those that are looking for their first GT. There were doubts on the car being able to comfortably accommodate the passengers with its unorthodox roof shape, but the suspension of this car can be described as one of the car’s high points, the hydro-pneumatic suspension helping soak up the bumps and cobbles on the road. Another method of counteracting the complications from the car’s roof space was to specially design an interior seating layout to help keep the passenger comfortable. Luxury hand-made leather seats have been designed to sit rather low yet help keep the passengers from feeling the bumps as well. Along with mahogany lining, the car helps give off the aura of status and prestige. A high-end Riviera Acoustics AM Radio/8-track player also helped give off the prestigious aura that the car needed, providing sound clarity when it was needed.

Powering the Lionfish is a 4,500cc V8 that is also placed in the front of the car, like the Halibut. However, unlike the Halibut, this car also has advanced electronic fuel injection that shares similarity with the Nudibranch GT. It produces a redline of 6300RPM and at its peak, it produces 280HP. Despite the higher amount of horsepower that the Lionfish produces over the Nudibranch GT, it only reaches a top speed of 139mph. Such a low top speed may make it less desirable to some, even if the car was aimed more towards a comfortable cruise.

Even with some of those problems making the car seem less desirable, most of the people looked past those problems since they knew that the car’s comfortable suspension was a selling point for a car like this. Especially for its price, they felt like they were getting a bargain for a GT car that is effectively designed to make an average ride feel smooth. The price of this car was $31100, the luxury features packed into the car definitely were a benefactor to the Lionfish selling. But the biggest problem for some people was that it lacked quirkiness and uniqueness that had made IkaMagic so attractive in the first place, since this car’s quirk was ‘it’s a sportier GT’. Some did feel like IkaMagic were alienating their audience again despite the car selling well.

The amount of units produced were 700 a year, totalling to 4900 units made in total. Each colour was produced in 100 units each. Later on, the cars were not too attractive with resale, well-kept examples only appreciating at a slower rate along the years due to the lack of appeal when there were better options later on.

Even though the Lionfish was treated as another car that shown status and was comfortable to drive during its life cycle, the car was less remembered due to it later on being called ‘A GT that just looks like any other GT of its time’. Even though it was selling 650 of the 700 each year, the rest of the units left over were sold off for 60% of the original price during their golden age.

Specifications:
Engine: Aluminium 4,500cc V8 block, forged steel internals, Front-Longitudinal position, 280HP@6300RPM (Redline). Dual Overhead Cam, 32-valve, Single-point Electric Fuel Injection.
Gearbox: Manual 5-speed, open differential.
Running Gear: Double wishbone front and rear hydro-pneumatic suspension, 215/225 alloy wheels on sports compound radial tyres. Vented disc brakes on front and solid disc for rear, 61/39 brake bias.
Weight: 1340KG.
Interior: Luxurious hand-made leather seats, high-end 8-track player/AM Radio, leather steering wheel, leather dashboard and door trim with mahogany lining.

3 Likes

The IkaMagic Torpedo Barb: IkaMagic’s Sports Bomb (1981-1985)

After the disappointing Lionfish that many people thought were to be alienating the market that made them so popular, IkaMagic’s board of directors have had a meeting discussing what do they do next. They either thought of just making a sporty car, or making a car that has similar luxury factor of the Petit Luxe. After a long discussion, the outcome of this meeting was mixed, but eventually another idea was thought up. Make a supercar. Thus began the conception of one of IkaMagic’s first cars that can actually be classified as a supercar. And that was the Torpedo Barb.

The Torpedo Barb was immediately met with confusion by IkaMagic’s staff over the choice of the body, since they thought that the body would fit more in 1971 rather than 1981. A curvy and sleek car like this seems all too odd in a world where cars have started to become more boxy or wedge-shaped. However, IkaMagic has decided to steel themselves with working with the body and making their best attempt to modernise this body. The body and design of the Torpedo Barb also has a similar feel to IkaMagic’s Nudibranch, which was lauded for its design philosophy when it was released.

This attempt at modernising an old body has been commended by some, and it certainly shows when people have been looking at the Torpedo Barb when it was announced as a special vehicle to commemorate IkaMagic’s 10th anniversary. They have announced it as a highly limited supercar due to the amount of effort that has underwent to make this vehicle a harking back to their first car regarding its luxury and prestige. Although the ride provided by the Torpedo Barb may not be comfortable from the low position of the car, IkaMagic had intended this to be a car that gives the driver the thrill of a lifetime through its sheer speed and sportiness. However, comfort is attempted to be offered for the driver through providing hand-made leather seats and a luxury combination 8-track AM radio player from Riviera Acoustics.These considerations have also made the car prestigious, along with fitting high-quality magnesium wheels that are durable.

Also making a debut through the Torpedo Barb is IkaMagic’s new powerplant that provides an air of individuality to IkaMagic’s cars compared to other supercars at the time. And unlike IkaMagic’s other cars where the engine was mounted at the rear, the engine was simply too big to fit properly from the rear. This meant that the engine was positioned in the middle, making a midship supercar which is common to see nowadays. The V-series V12 engine by IkaMagic (started with this 6,300CC VA engine) was said to provide unparalleled power through high RPMs, making sure that not a single drop of horsepower is wasted. This resulted in a car that can produce nearly 565HP at a high redline of 8500RPM. This engine goes forth to be one of IkaMagic’s most constantly worked on engine platform, giving birth to some of IkaMagic’s most distinctive sounding supercars. The engine’s power is not just for show as it gives out a top speed of 186mph, showing that this car can compete with the rest of the hottest supercars at the time. thus adding to its desirability.

Since this was a paramount anniversary car for IkaMagic, they have poured as much passion as they can to make it a car that turns heads throughout. This resulted in a car that caught a lot of heads and due to its price, it made itself to be a serious status symbol. So how come the price made this car such a symbol of wealth and power? The simple answer is that it costs $205k to purchase, certainly making its name as a vehicle that the icons all are chasing.

The limited production was also caused from making the car as comfortable as they can to make up for the lack of cushy suspension meant that the car has been reduced to about 25 units manufactured per year, which meant that demand was extremely high. All cars for the first year had sold out within the first month of it coming onto the market! All units have been sold due to the ridiculous demand, and instead of making 25 for the final year, they insisted to bump it up to 50 to give this car the glorious sendoff that it deserved for IkaMagic. The car came only in one trim package since it was intended to be one of IkaMagic’s most special projects for the time, meaning that it only came in this Red Line package.

In the future after the car was sold, this car would be one of IkaMagic’s rarest cars to find due to owners still wanting to hold onto it from years of growing attachment that they would have to this car as the years went on. And if it did sell, the car had appreciated absurdly from the rarity of the car and the buzz that it had created when it was seen. Truly people described it as a ‘well-fabricated supercar from a shell that languished in the past’.

Specifications:
Engine: Aluminium 6,300cc V12 block, forged steel internals, Mid-Longitudinal position, 564HP@8500RPM (Redline). Dual Overhead Cam, 48-valve, Single-point Electric Fuel Injection.
Body and Frame: Corrosion-resistant-steel monocoque and aluminium panels, fully clad downforce undertray.
Gearbox: Manual 5-speed, geared limited slip differential.
Running Gear: Double wishbone front and rear hydro-pneumatic suspension, 235/315 magnesium wheels on semi-racing slick radial tyres. Vented disc brakes on front and rear, 67/33 brake bias.
Weight: 1390KG.
Interior: Luxurious hand-made leather and velour seats, high-end 8-track player/AM Radio, mahogany-lined racing-design steering wheel, leather dashboard and door trim with mahogany lining.

3 Likes