IMSA Automation GT Challenge '78

Yeah, but you’re talking about 2017, the challenge take places in '78, lockers where mostly used for off-road at the time, I think that is what Speedemon means.

1 Like

I’m wondering with the reliability (mainly the engine) score how much of a difference this would make during races. Is a score of 30 very likely to have failures but a value of say 35 drastically different in the amount of mechanical issues that would occur in racing?

1 Like

GW Stamford 77-91 - Interceptor-x

Factory spec: Cap 2890cc - 109 Kw - vMax 190K m/h - 0-100 in 7.9 sec - 400m in 15.90 sec
IMSA GTX: Cap 2890cc - Everything else an absolute SHITLOAD better
Let’s play.

12 Likes

Presenting the entrant from Erin…

Whaa ra, I wanna ra, whaa ra, I’ll ra’ll them all

This is the ErinSport TI-76, the only Group 5 version of the Merna. “TI” stands for “Turbo Injection”. It came about after the Civera Silhouette project came to and end and the engineers who had worked on the project decided a new venture was required. They got their hands on the recently introduced Merna Mk 3 and went to town. This was the result.

The Mk 3 Merna came about during the 70s simple design phase, where minimalism and rectangles were desireable.

Some cars from this period worked out. The Merna didn’t. And indeed, it’s regarded as one of the dullest, if not the dullest car the company has ever made.

It drove well (ish) and the engines were decent. Plus, it came with the option of RWD for some sportier models. But the styling was too conservative for it’s own good. I mean for god’s sake, look at the tailights.

It’s why the TI-76 was almost a necessity to save this car from dullness. Other than the fact that this dull hatchback would keep making money for the company all the way up until 1983, there really isn’t much that is particularly remarkable about it.

The TI-76, however, wasn’t much better. Despite its fame within ErinSport’s history, it was never a good race car, and certainly never as solid as the Civera. It exploded, caught fire, was unstable, was far too powerful and was very unreliable. And yet the company somehow managed to run with it for 4 entire seasons of IMSA and in the DRM from 1977 to 1979.

This livery was the one used for the '78 IMSA season. It’s a classic ErinSport factory design, with angled lines typical for the team during the 70s and the usual turquoise colours.

ErinSport wishes the best of luck to all entrants, and would also like to apologise in advance to any competitors we damage in the inevitable crashes this car causes.

18 Likes

What a beautiful calculator :smiley:

5 Likes

errr, what was the deadline for this again?

Dude, it’s in the OP.

:joy: I can’t fucking read hahaha ignore me.

On a more serious note, this is why I don’t center justify all my text. It’s harder to read short lines.

1 Like

This one, sadly, is not allowed in examinations.

2 Likes

I’m still getting to grips with the new formatting system, it starts doing weird stuff if you center justify two paragraphs at once with a heading in between, etc - apologies but I couldn’t figure out how to fix it, it wasn’t meant to be like that :yum:

That’s so unamerican! UGH!

3 Likes

Is he implying that he made the car lighter???!! What is this madness!

1 Like

Yes, but I made up for my lack of American design in a heavy land-barge with the biggest crossplane V8 I could make. And it’s straight-piped, so it’s good and loud.

Plus, what’s more American than 1000 horsepower through an open diff and 225mm wide rear tires? Big engine, high power, and can’t use any of it. Goes like hell in a straight line and whimpers at the slightest bend in the road.

Or, at least, that’s what we want everyone to think…

5 Likes

An eagle on a harley eating hot dogs on 4th of july and saluting the flag.

6 Likes

ok, we kind of need to know, how long are the non-endurance races? Tuning is a problem when you don’t know what kind of fuel consumption to shoot for, because if the race requires more than a certain number of fuel stops, then obviously, being able to do 2:06 on ATT is not worth needing 24L/100km if I can manage 2:08 using just 20, if you know what I mean.

Edit: thanks @Speedemon. Any chance we could have at least some indication of what the fuel consumption calculations and pitstop calculations are like so the more numbers inclined among us can tune accordingly? Increasing fuel consumption is a rapidly diminishing return depending on whether we’re going to have to pit, or the number of times, so we need to know if it’s going to be much of a factor.

Sorry, didn’t realize the OP didn’t have lengths for the non endurance races.

Road Atlanta - 100 miles (40 laps)
Laguna Seca - 100 miles (42 laps)
Portland International Raceway - 100 miles (51 laps)
Mid Ohio Sports Car Course - 100 miles (42 laps)

Will update the OP.

EDIT: Fuel Calculations

Fuel Tank Size (120 liters) * km/l = distance on a single stint
Distance / Distance on a single stint = # of pit stops (will be rounded to last whole number)
#of pit stops * 60 (1 minute) = Time in pits

Time in pits is added to your final race time.

5 Likes

Sorry for the double post

Just a reminder to get your entries in before August 13th, 2017 at 10:00PM EST.

Entries I have gotten so far:

Passed:
@Madrias
@HighOctaneLove
@Fayeding_Spray
@stm316

Denied:

@TheElt
@DeusExMackia

Pending:
[None]

If your car hasn’t passed the regulations, I will contact you about the issue and ask for it to be fixed. I will bring more updates.

6 Likes

Orchid Lyrel Group 5

In 1978 a variation of the Lyrel , named the TE, was introduced in South America and Spain which had its 1.4 twin cam engine mounted tranversely in the middle of the car with the aim of being a more affordable variant of the TX trim with more space upfront where the engine used to be.

The slightly different styling was not its best selling point but its twin cam engine was a welcome sporty change from the previous OHV 1400’s.

Being mid engined the handling was slightly peculiar utilizing the front suspension of the normal Lyrel at the rear and to anyone who drove the normal TX trim the TE felt like a bit of a reheated meal.

As a spectacle Lyrel Gr-5 was a sight to behold, spitting flames from the exhausts and lifting its front wheels of the ground over crests as its 32psi of boost came on song. The car was deafeningly loud ,hideously unreliable and had a tendency to melt its plastic rear bumper in that hot American weather.

Best of luck to all taking part it will be great to see the fire breathing monsters people have entered on the track.

12 Likes

Update on entries:

Passed:
@Madrias
@HighOctaneLove
@Fayeding_Spray
@stm316
@TheElt
@DeusExMackia
@BailsMackenzie
@Detsikeulii
@strop
@Rk38
@ramthecowy

Denied:
@Mr.Computah
@AirJordan

Pending:
@Mythrin

If your car hasn’t passed the regulations, I will contact you about the issue and ask for it to be fixed. I will bring more updates.

There is 8 hours until the deadline, so if you have a car send it in soon!

10 Likes

IMSA GTX needs some Scarab involvement so we decided to enter with the Aurora MR

The standard version (that is, the version that doesn’t kill your body while in the drivers seat)

And the race version (enough safety to keep you alive, but no comfort whatsoever)

Both are powered by a turbocharged 3l v8, but while the standardversion really is roadworthy and actually only sips a measly 1.3l / 10 km, the raceversion is a lot more thirsty and gulps 2l / 10 km… It also shows in the peformace.

7 Likes