The history of IP Automotive LTD.
In the country of Mamaya, IP Automotive LTD was originally formed in 1932 as Dao Thang motor trucks. Since the Mamayan economy was experiencing a steady growth in the early 30s, there was an increasing demand for trucks and the Dao Thang brand actually was slightly succesful, providing a locally built alternative to the imported brands. The sales was strong enough to keep the company alive, but yet they were still looking into other markets as a source for even greater incomes.
Back in 1932, personal transportation had been a luxury that most Mamayans could not even think about to afford. After world war 2, however, the situation was a bit different. Mamaya had been standing neutral during the war, and was never really affected by it, and there was expectations that the already growing economy soon would be experiencing a real boom. Motorcycles was a lucrative market, but it was already flooded with manufacturers, which some years later would lead to something of a crash that meant that many brands had to bite the dust. Cars was still a rare sight on the roads, you saw some taxis and once in a while some cheap small car, but only imported ones (mostly from the UK) since there was no local manufacturing at all.
Cars was a market that provided too lucrative not to enter for Dao Thang. However, since they already had a vision of exporting cars, Dao Thang was suspected to be a name that would scare foreign customers away. Also, there was a fear that if the car manufacturing should turn into a failure, it had a risk of hurting the Dao Thang truck brand. In late 1945, the company was renamed IP Automotive, and IP was said to be a short for “International Products” as the goal was to get the cars exported worldwide. The trucks that mainly was sold in the home market and some of the neighbour countries was keeping the brand name Dao Thang, but the cars recieved the name “IP” like the mother corporation now was named.
In 1946 their first car was introduced, the IP Lily.
(to be continued…)