KATSURO Motor Company Ltd

I have also chosen to examine it myself - from what I’ve seen, the SS38i has plenty of room for improvement, especially in terms of comfort and economy.

Edit: The SS38i trim you sent us has a trim year of 1995, even though the model year is 1992, which explains why it has a six-speed gearbox. Also, the combination of a very aggressive cam profile and a very rich fuel mixture makes it very inefficient. Worst of all, it looks unfinished. And regarding the braking issues, it’s because of an overly soft brake pad setting and no cooling for the brake discs themselves.

On closer inspection, the SOHC 3v V8 engine in the SS38 actually has a maximum potential displacement of 5502 cc, so I’ll create two different engine tunes for it: one with the original displacement of 3788 cc, and one with the engine bored and stroked to the absolute limit.

1 Like

Please don’t change the motor

1 Like

I did not touch your mechanicals, just the look. Should I optimize your performance?

1 Like

Maybe, though abg7 seems to be working on it.

I will optimize it and compare it to his. You can choose.

thanks.

@Restomod I didn’t touch the engine. You can make your adjustments as necessary but i think this is realistic enough.

TDF_SS_-_SS38i.car (29.6 KB)

How do I get the file into my sandbox?

save the file in your car import folder. That should be located in the same folder as where your screenshots are saved.

Got it!

1 Like

I did some minor visual adjustments-

Need some better photos. Can’t see much.

For comparison, here’s my take on it - the TDF SS38iS. I took inspiration from the Venturi 400GT for the front-end design. I also went for a set of more period-accurate wheels, widened the track, and lowered the tire profile and ride height to give it a meaner, ground-hugging stance, one more befitting a sports car or supercar of the era.

The engine’s displacement is unchanged, and although it’s less powerful, it’s also more efficient. I also lowered the redline to 6800 rpm to avoid excessive valve float.

In keeping with the original mission statement of this being the most analogue TDF yet, I swapped out the active suspension for standard steel springs, and tuned them for sportiness. As for the brakes, I installed the biggest discs the 16-inch wheels could accommodate, fitted 1-piston calipers and a set of more aggressive brake pads, and increased the brake cooling level. I chose to omit the ABS after realizing that doing so would not cost me too much drivability.

Now for the track test: its lap times around the ATT and Airfield Track are 2:16.53 and 1:22.13 respectively. So not as fast as the original (although still faster than the Vatina), but I reckon that, with less weight to throw around (1.24 metric tons), and no active suspension to dull the connection between man and machine, it may well be even more fun to drive.

As an added bonus, my version is now cheaper, and on top of that, more economical and reliable compared to the original design.

Last but not least, here’s the .car file:

TDF_SS_-_SS38iS.car (28.9 KB)

Looks great. I think that I will use this one. It might as well be the most analogue TDF Yet (though the M320i SR get’s a close second). Thanks.

(PS I know the max is 5.5L, that’s for the SR version).

deleted

I can concur. This variant I just made is definitely aimed at the purist who desires as little electronic intervention as possible.

Anyway, what about a photo or two depicting the Hawk, Vatina and SS38iS all together? Considering how good they are, it would be a great idea!

Sure!

Definitely. I’m on the road now so when I get in

@Restomod @abg7

2 Likes

Well done. It actually reminds me of a comparison test conducted by Road & Track in their September 1993 issue, titled “Smoke and Mirrors”, featuring a Toyota Supra Turbo (A80), Ferrari 512 TR, and Porsche 911 Turbo (964). In that test, the Supra held its head high against its European rivals - and I am pleased to tell you that the Vatina has done the exact same thing.

1 Like