King of the Hill (Round 6)

Ok so clearly I could cut back on mine a bit.

Dat utility, too. Seems that this is a more suitable body so now it comes down to how do I get the engine right.

Edit: ok screw this, the text isnā€™t hiding, maybe itā€™s because of other formatting issues.

Same body as you used, @ramthecowy. Iā€™m now 240 bucks under budget. Given @phaleā€™s wagon weighs about 150kg more, they probably went with a larger wagon than this, one with larger wheels to mitigate the brake balance issues. The extra mass boosts utility and safety, the extra size comfort and also the driver height penalty (-1.7% on this body). Hopefully this will be enough to counteract the loss in cornering. Also I may not have to use advanced safety, which is really adding to my PU.

Important notes:

• Since weā€™re not trying to shoot for max speed, only enough that drivability from performance doesnā€™t suffer, a top speed of 126km/h and 0-100 time of under 18s is sufficient. 60hp for 840kg is enough.
  • Since weā€™re not gearing to max speed which is my usual habit, using a ridiculously large grille is in fact a ticket to free reliability. Well, at the cost of fuel consumption but now you know why phaleā€™s carā€™s mileage sucks :joy:
  • To max the drivability stat I went with a longitudinal FF drivetrain, which kind of killed utility because the driving wheels arenā€™t underneath the load. Was this the right way to go? Dunno. What I do know is that you can maximise your efficiency with a longitudinal V6ā€¦ though I donā€™t know if this helps drivability because itā€™s nowhere near as smooth as an i6. But itā€™s better than an i4 and i3.

So phale, how am I doing? :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

on the other hand, my car does 0-100 in 18.9 seconds, and it just cracked the 60 drivability mark.
nets 61 reliability
and transverse FF 943cc I6 that makes 55hp, so my car has more utility than the benchmark phale car

reaching 65 drive while staying under budget is a real pain nowā€¦ the car is currently $240 over budget

Iā€™m liking what I see here :smiley: This kind of collaborative discussion is exactly what I was hoping for.

@strop that looks pretty good! Judging by the stats, youā€™re certainly getting closer than I was expecting in one day :stuck_out_tongue:

By the way, I didnā€™t pick a wagon body specifically for this challenge. This car was designed for my company history, and I thought it might fit well here :slight_smile: I suspect you may be able to do better with a sedan body, I wonā€™t dock you on the utility. The drivability is what Iā€™m mainly looking for :wink:

When youā€™ve logged 1300 hours post Steam release and probably that much again pre-Steam release, youā€™d hope I could pick things up quickly :stuck_out_tongue:

Then again about 80% of that time was spent trying to make cars look like fighter planes and 80% of the rest went into modern hypercar slayers with increasingly unrealistic performance goals so I guess not :joy:

edit: forgive me for being lazy, but could somebody tell me the pink body fix? Thereā€™s a body I really really want to try out but it has the pink body problem.

edit 2: itā€™s also true that I frequently leave Automation running in the background which canā€™t be good for my PC given just how CPU intensive it is currently, so probably havenā€™t actually played quite that many hours.

3 Likes

kek I havenā€™t even hit 100 yet

862 hours currently, although also with a lot of running in the background :wink:

Iā€™d like to think that I picked up most of my skills by the 400 hour mark, and the rest has been learning how to make cars not look terrible :stuck_out_tongue:

Hereā€™s the pink body fix: Steam Open Beta B160308+ Bugs & Feedback

1 Like

hereā€™s my cars stats atm, iā€™m stuck. how the heck can I make the drivability any higher?

plus, Iā€™m over the budget and still donā€™t have enough safety

phale, i hate you :smiling_imp:

iā€™m halfway there

1 Like

Hats off for hitting the main targetsā€¦

ā€¦ but with a body that small youā€™ll never hit the other targets even if you go way over budget!

@phale youā€™re using the wagon version of corvetteā€™s 2.79m wheelbase 1965 body arenā€™t you. Thatā€™s the one with the pink body issues, and itā€™s slightly larger than the body ram and I have been using earlier. I havenā€™t yet finished fixing the issues or tried the body yet but thereā€™s few other suitable candidates, right?

edit: hmmmm maybe this body is too large. arrrrrgh which is it??? Must readjust engine again, now over budgetā€¦ on target for everything else though.

Iā€™ll reveal my car later, in my company thread :wink:

As I said earlier, I donā€™t think my choice of body is necessarily ideal for this competition, but weā€™ll see about that :stuck_out_tongue:

Edit: Managed to squeeze out a few more points with some adjustments :smiley:

Original post has been updated.

Well I still have you matched for either drivability or everything else but damn if I manage to find a way to achieve bothā€¦

3 Likes

Entries close about 23 hours from now :wink:

Oh, I havenā€™t actually exported anything yet. Better get something out.

Not that I hit the goal!

I still havenā€™t received any submissions yet. Iā€™m willing to extend the deadline until Monday.

The goal was too tough, then you changed your car and made the numbers even higher in the middle of the competition, so I gave up.

1 Like

You donā€™t necessarily have to beat it :wink: Iā€™m planning on passing on hosting duties to whatever car is best, so you can try again next round!

I would like to enter, but Iā€™m lacking in time. This Christmas+New Year days are hard, so there isnā€™t to many players to enter the big number of challenges that are created.
So the deadline was too close. At least thatā€™s why I didnā€™t enter.
(I already have 15+ cars to scrutinize and run for ABL, so next week will be chaos, wonā€™t have the time)

I guess I can submit incomplete cars since I havenā€™t had any more time to work on them.

I for one however do feel that you should keep on the hosting duties until somebody does actually match your stats, though! Otherwise the learning exercise is unlikely to be anywhere near as effective.

2 Likes

I second that!

Heres what ive managed in the last few hours

And it only costs $8880