King of the Hill (Round 6)

You just have to show off ha… :laughing: I haven’t tried the big body, went straight to small one (much less weight) and build only that car due to time constraints. Looking at your new try I see more power (surprise surprise) could bring me trophy. I must be honest, after I saw some reliability numbers of others, I wanted to stay as close to 96 as possible… better safe and sorry…or something…
Anyway, thanks for kind words and I’m looking forward to next challenge :slight_smile:

1 Like

I knew it! Totally overlooked it because I incorrectly assumed the engine bay would be too small: rubbish, that only applies to the rear. When it comes to Automation and old Le Man’s, Top speed is king so who cares if the car can’t stop or turn :joy:

2 Likes

@HowlerAutomotive you are a genius! Your rear-engined rocket had loads of traction, and I overlooked it because I wasn’t sure about being able to fit a large enough engine in it.

1 Like

I looked at the !porsche-body, realized i suck at tuning RR’s and got on with the !pantera-body instead… Should learn to tune RR, tho :confused:

Gratz to @HowlerAutomotive and thnx to @Der_Bayer for a great round.

4 Likes

Did anyone else try the Montreal-style body? I couldn’t get it out of the 3:35 range. 13 L/Km, though.

Thanks for showing us how it was done and congratulations on your win! Looking forward to seeing what Round 3 brings.

I just assumed mid-engined was the best option which limited the body choices. I knew I didn’t have much of a chance but thanks to @Der_Bayer’s awesome story I knew I had to enter.

If anyone wants to use my entry I’ve put it on the here on the ‘open source car’ thread.

4 Likes

Let’s try something completely different.

#KOTH ROUND 3 - THE PATH TO VALHALLA

You found the most amazing place yesterday. No. Not right. You didn’t find it. Imperator Ragex was first. He found the most amazing thing. But you helped! You fought well and the spikebacks retreated and Ragex found what they had been searching for. Ragex said you fought well.

You wouldn’t believe it if you weren’t here. You did not think there were so many cars in the world. Some of them have settled and broken but some have not. Iron and steel. Vee eights.

And one of them is yours.

It is. Frax tried to argue but Imperator Ragex told him. Told him that you got to pick first. Because you fought well. You are awaited. Oh, such a day.

But which one to pick? So many options. So many possibilities. Big engines, good rides. This place could make enough power to make the world spin faster said Ragex.

You need something that is fast. Yes, fast of course. You will get a pursuit vehicle is what Ragex said. But there is more you can do. You can set the engine. You can weld the chassis. So much good steel to use here, you can make it angry. You can make it fast. It will deserve to ride the fury road. Immortan Bob himself will see it. Imperator Ragex will be proud.

If you make it bigger, stronger, it won’t break with every bump. If you make it faster, oh, what a chariot it shall be. Room is good, to carry war boys. You could almost build a war rig out of that one over there. Or something fast and angry and loud. This one, maybe.

But must not use too much guzzoline. Those ones rarely get to ride.

#LIMITATIONS

Year - 1979
Budget: - $15,000 (don’t forget you’re in a salvage yard)
Fuel - Low Quality 80
Cooling - Minimum required
Aero - Base body “Eff Area” minimum 0.600m²
Tires - Max 255 wide. Immortan Bob can pick his shoes, you need fairly common stuff.
Drivability >0
DEADLINE 16.01.2017 20:00 CET

#SCORING

Please send your car export to me and post screenshots of your Car Overview, Design, Test Track and Engine stats here. Those who post+send the FINAL version of their car before 23:59 CET on 14.01.2017 get 50 bonus points - this is to encourage people setting milestones and others trying to beat them in new and interesting ways.

(And if someone is looking through a scrapyard with ideas of what they want to build, they are likely to get a strong impression from the first good ones)

You will receive a penalty of 100 points if your car has any mufflers (in the design, not visual). Because what the hell, guys.

A truck bed will count as 4 extra seats.

Link to Google Docs

#OPTION ONE

This one would do, maybe. The Howler Spectre. The vee eight is strange, it has four too many cylinders. But the frame is solid. The block is strong. You could put lots of power into this one, you think. Naturally, it needs more spikes. Some armor. More chrome!

But the start is there.

Although surely there is other stuff here in the scrapyard. Good stuff. Angry stuff. You just have to find it.

12 Likes

All hail! The coming of the next Magnum Opus!

5 Likes

Dat drivability and comfort :joy:

2 Likes

This round is reminiscent of Mad Max… I don’t think there have been any challenges based on it before!

4 Likes

WHAT A DAY

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

5 Likes

Fast lane to Valhalla, mark my words. Note also the braking distance.

I did consider making drivability a factor, but it is used in very many challenges, there were already a fair few other parameters to track and - perhaps most importantly - I don’t think they would pay much attention to that in the setting.

3 Likes

Wanted to do an UTE that has a LOT of space for war boys… but seat counter will kill me so…shame :confused:

1 Like

I might not get into this (not enough “Automation time” for both Detroit and anything other), but now I know what movie I’ll be watching tonight :smile:

2 Likes

That’s a good one, I wish I’d thought of that while testing the rules. Might have worked with utility, somehow.

Edit: Actually, it would be an option to just say “4 extra seats for truck bed”. There would be a cost benefit, but also less weight for the formula and less weight on the rear wheels. Public opinion in favour or against?

I have decided to be the first test mule!

[quote]I found, tucked in the back, buried under what we think were the remains of some holy place, with strange symbols and signs of a false profits which does not pay homage to our great, merciful leader. Those symbols I burned, but the find, the car, that I kept. It is plain so painfully plain, I do not know what the words on it mean ‘Pulsar’ perhaps this was some kind of transport the Immortans would use.

It has room for 7 if we pull out all that junk, boxes filled with copper coils and vapor, the coils may prove useful for other projects, the vapor had a funny taste, yes plenty of room for a good raiding team. The trunk is large, deep, deep enough for plunder, or other ‘things’.

The engine bay is massive, but tiny, much like the ‘Howler’ one of my bothers found this Vee-Eight has too many tubes running in and out of it, but we can make it work, I’m sure we can, though those things jutting out of the exhaust confuse me.[/quote]

Non company cannon competition vehicle

3 Likes

Shame it isn’t OHV only!

1 Like

Though the same.

But I’m in doubt about a OHV V8 or a SOHC I6

Non entry

Yes, it is MUCH better then what I entered, and if @HowlerAutomotive wants me to send him this one, I will, but I entered the first one, and that is all there is to it :slight_smile:

Because OHV is best Valve Train.

1 Like

Ohhh, that’s some very nice points and a proper vee eight :slight_smile: As per the rules of the original post, you are free to revise your entry until the deadline (either the bonus points deadline or final deadline, your choice).

In retrospect I may have weighted seats a bit too heavily, but what’s done is done. And more warboys is more warboys.

As there has been no feedback, a truck bed will consitute 4 extra seats. I will update the rules.

3 Likes