Larger engine fits, smaller doesn't

Well, I tried to build a transverse FWD car using the not-Talisman body…

…and use a previously created I4 in it (very oversquare 2.3l family), but… surprisingly it doesn’t fit. Why surprisingly? Well, because I’ve played a bit with that body, and I know that it can fit much larger engines transversely. So I’ve made a quick test engine - as big I6 as could fit there, still transversely. Effect - a bit undersquare 2.5… longer than that I4 I wanted there. Like, WTF is this magic? (and yes, I tried reclicking the suspension - it didn’t change anything)

This fits (64cm length):

This doesn’t (57cm):

Here is the car (with the test I6) and here the engine (I4).

3 Likes

Well, I don’t know what exactly Automation considers when deciding whether engines will fit or not but that I4 is substantially bigger than the I6 in everything but length.

I know, but the arrows clearly show that it’s too long. I’ll try later to make some other engines with similar dimensions as that I4 and check if they will fit.

Take pictures of the engine bay.

The transmission is probably bigger for the second engine, which could be the reason why the engine doesn’t fit.

There might also be some positioning issues within the engine bay, but we’d need pictures to check that.

I can take a picture with the I6, but if I choose the I4 the engine bay will be empty.

Just make it smaller until it barely fits.

It should show us why the larger i4 doesn’t fit.

Making a new one would make more sense in this case. But still, I wanted to use this exact engine, which should logically fit there - and since it doesn’t, I’d like to know why, to not be forced to make new engines every time when such weird thing happens again and forbids me using an engine planned to fit somewhere.

Edit: as I wrote, I’ll try later, as I’m currently unable to.

The I4 has lower torque, so the gearbox should be smaller for that one.
Very strange.:confused:

Gearbox size is based on the size of the engine in the game. Since the I4 is “larger” (bigger displacement per cylinder) it will probably end up with a larger transmission.

There was a conversation on that topic among the beta testers a while ago and the conclusion was that IRL transmission size usually correlated with engine size, and that you couldn’t really correlate gearbox size with gear count or engine torque.

2 Likes

I’ve encountered a problem like this before, only it was with the head type. The engine with a SOHC would fit and even allow me to increase the displacement, but if I switched to DOHC I had to decrease the displacement to make it fit. You may want to try different heads on your new engine to see if that may be your problem.

Ok, so the gearbox suggestion makes sense. This is the engine bay with a 4.0 V6 (54cm length, maximum that will fit):

…and this with that previous I6 (2.5, 64cm):

So it seems that nothing is bugged/wrong, but I’ll have to use another engine anyway (or recreate the one that I wanted to use) :confused:

I did two trims of the same car, same size engine, but the power and torque was higher.
Only things changed was: compression, cam, sport/standard intake(weight is the same),
fuel octane, air/fuel mix and ignition setting.
Everything else was the same.

The high power trim was something like 24-26 kg heavier.
robert.norgren - Model 5.zip (38.4 KB)

That’s quite normal, but I don’t see how is this related…

It was in reply to @TrackpadUser 's post.

Did some quick tests and you are right.

However, the physical size of the transmission casing does not change depending on engine power or torque.

1 Like

So… the trans case size is based on the size of a single cylinder(like max/min size of turbos),
but the weight scale with the torque. Ok. Seems semi reasonable.

That is correct. Engine scale depends on mostly bore (the physical size you see the engine as). That is the scale that affects gearbox size, which is a limitation of this rather crude but workable system. Weight indeed is calculated with how much torque the engine produces.