MicroDesigns - Braconash/Hyperhatch

I want to say the bottom one, but it looks a little busy with that grille… though I feel it has potential. Maybe if you made it follow the curve a bit more such that it aligned more with the headlights. But I’m not 100% sure.

######(So many incomplete cars)

The Velox V22 made its first appearance in the middle of 1984. Many things were unclear at that time, such as the engine configuration and what the main focus of the car would be. Seeing as V12 supercars were popular at the time, we decided to follow suit and thus the Velox V22 ended up using the “V22” twin-turbo 2.2L V12. Production officially began in 1988. Production was very limited at the start and so the application process for a car was very complicated and lengthy.

The car was offered in either a “Standard” or “Optional Premium” form. The standard form had a very basic sports interior. Luxuries included: gauges, seats and a wheel. Yup. There was no radio, A/C, power windows or anything. The seats were very high quality bucket seats that were made of a lightweight cloth-like material, as was the steering wheel.
The Optional Premium trim featured a premium leather interior (which came in many shades and colours), a relatively basic radio, power windows, A/C and other such luxuries that you might expect on a high-end car.
The standard model weighed in at just 951.5 KG and the premium model weighed in at 1025.8 KG.

Despite this, the standard and premium models shared a lot of things. Both had vented discs from and rear, had 5-Speed manual gearboxes and both had the exact same engine and power output.

After a while, a lot of customers started to complain that the car just didn’t feel fast enough for the money that they paid. As a result, the car received a major update in 1995…

To be continued
4 Likes

Just whilst I’ve got a moment (or 4 hours) to spare, I’m just wondering: If I was to re-make the Astro R “Hyperhatch” (see above posts), would anybody else attempt to make a competitor car? Furthermore, would anybody be up to making a comparison article type of thing between all of the Hyperhatches? Of course, there’d be rules to follow (such as no $700,000 price tag…) but I think it’d be a really cool little thing to do.
I’m open to any thoughts or suggestions people might have so… fire away!

3 Likes

Gonna go ahead and assume that there’s no interest for that idea… either way, will have the continuation of the Velox V22 up later I guess (or something else maybe).

Looks good, I’m interestef

###Decided to build something else instead for now!
######(bit of mediocre photoshop)

#The 1967 MicroDesigns Braconash
The Braconash was first put into production for the 1967 model year.
Originally marketed as a sporty, premium family car, the Braconash came as standard with the all-new “Shire” V8 - A 5.2L or 318Ci V8 that produces 222HP @ 4800 RPM and 273 ft-lb @ 2700 RPM. Offered in 1967 were two different transmissions, a 4-Speed full-synchro manual that was made by us, or a 3-Speed GM “Turbo-Hydramatic”.

Do not assume that the only difference between these is just the fact that one is automatic and one is manual, as there are a couple of noticeable differences between the two. Firstly, vehicles equipped with the manual were capable of 0-62MPH in 8.9 seconds whereas vehicles equipped with the turbo-hydramatic were capable of the same speeds in 10 seconds. As you might expect, the manual also has the top speed advantage by about 4 MPH to give it a top speed of 132.5 MPH. Secondly, the manual transmission was capable of 1 or 2 more miles to the gallon than the automatic, mostly due to the way each are geared. Finally, as time went on it became clear that the cars equipped with the manual transmission were far more reliable. Despite the fact that the automatic was at a clear disadvantage (and yet cost more), it still sold much better than the manual.

The interior is on the more premium side. The car will seat 6 people (though 4 was the recommended maximum), thanks to the front and rear bench seats. However, there were only two lap belts in the front and two in the back. As you can imagine, having a floor-mounted gearstick between your legs as a passenger in the front would be rather irritating as both a passenger and driver.

For the price, the car was VERY well equipped. Power steering was a standard feature, as were the 4 wheel solid disc brakes, a feature that was still not too common at the time. The front brakes have 2 piston calipers and the rear calipers are single piston. The reason for this choice was that, due to the weight of the car coupled with the fact that it was meant to be sporty, rear drum brakes did not offer good enough performance. Braking distance pre-disk was around 60m and the brake fade became very apparent, very quickly. After disk brakes were fitted, the braking distance came down to just over 40m and the brake fade, while still noticeable, was not nearly as bad. This later became one of the defining features of this model line.

Aaaaand I guess that concludes this post. Please leave any thoughts, ideas and just general feedback because I’d love to hear what you think.

5 Likes

oh shit, I missed this post. I am totally down for making a competitor hatch, at least as a concept. I mean I believe I approached you earlier this year about it and I’m still really quite interested. I’d suggest seeing what the timing of the new release will be, of course, as it may take some time to get an article written by which time…

I have to admit, I was a little confused when you of all people didn’t reply, haha. Can’t say that I’m up to date with dev stuff, so I haven’t got a clue when the next update is meant to be. If it’s close then I can wait until after that update, as it will probably bring a bunch of calculation changes and whatnot.
However, I will admit that despite the lack of interest the new hyperhatch is already being designed.

Yesssssssssssss

Yeah I don’t keep strictly up to date with everything on this forum for the forseeable future due to study + work etc. I do check PMs tho so drop me a line there when you’re done!

Screw it. I might make a competitor too! I haven’t posted any cars to the car design sharing thread in a long time and I would like to start making more cars again.

The more the merrier! I’d love for this to be a big one-off thing!

Well if you’re really that enthusiastic I guess I could cram my Super GT spec motor into my hot hatch just for laughs :smile:

I should add, this time the hatches shouldn’t be super expensive, they need to be realistically priced rather than costing like 3 quarters of a million dollars like my old one. I guess I’ll go through the rules and stuff when we get closer to the time of properly building.

1 Like

Bud I can’t even make a hypercar crack 200K in just production costs. I’m sure 700K is a loot of leeway hahaha

2 Likes

Nice car :slight_smile: But there is just one thing I just cannot ignore, as I once reasearched it for my company - headlights. By the time AFAIK American law required cars sold in the US to have one pair of big round ones, or two pairs of smaller round ones, both the same size. I don’t remember the sizes, but they are easy to achieve in the game, as there are sealed beams there. These with round framing (?) are the size matching regulations for singular pair, those with square framing (?) - for dual pair.

Not that I say you have to follow these standards, but I think it’s a thing worth considering if you want to add some realism :wink:

Hm, never knew that. What about cars like the Camaro though? They had lamps that were smaller than the main headlights on either side (though they might have been indicators).

It seems that Camaro uses the bigger variant, but I don’t know what are these smaller lights - but rather not regular headlights, as they are not present on every version.

If you set your factories to “small” that’ll probably do the trick. The one I’m playing with, I can produce 2 cars a day and it comes up to about 300k.

(Totally does Green Hell in under 7 minutes tho.)

Aw man. Love this car, @Microwave! You may have just given me inspiration for a future project…:sunglasses:

Cheers!